Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 4:24:53 PM EDT
Figured it was time for another photo thread. Herp guys post 'em up.
PETS ONLY
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
got my short tail python sitting on my lap atm
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
got my short tail python sitting on my lap atm
View Quote

This is a picture thread!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice... keep them coming
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
A month after we rescued her

About 6 months later

More recently

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
How old are the snakes in pic 1 and 2
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Went to water the squash plant outside and saw a garter snake.  At most 15" long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what I don't "get."

Do these reptiles seem to have a personality?   Do they show affection?   If so, how can you tell?

Is it possible to connect with a non-mammal?   Or are they more like something interesting to look at, like a painting or a plant?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife is mean. I've always wanted a snake but she won't let me. Also won't let me have any tattoos. Come think of it, my wife is the lease METAL person ever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do these reptiles seem to have a personality?   Do they show affection?   If so, how can you tell?

Is it possible to connect with a non-mammal?   Or are they more like something interesting to look at, like a painting or a plant?
View Quote

Here's what I've noticed about my snake.

When I hand my snake to someone she doesn't know, she'll try to come back to me. From what I've read snakes don't have feelings of affection or love, so I chalk it up to her simply being more comfortable with me, as opposed to strangers. Also, she eats anything I give her... mice, rats, whatever. Some snakes are picky. She is not. I am very fond of her and if she died I would grieve, so yes it's possible to connect with a non mammal.

The kicker about snakes is this, they don't NEED human interaction like a domesticated dog or cat. They're just as content never being held or touched and don't care either way. (That's not to say it wouldn't shape their temperament. Besides feeding and sheddings, I hold my snake nearly every day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife is mean. I've always wanted a snake but she won't let me. Also won't let me have any tattoos. Come think of it, my wife is the lease METAL person ever.
View Quote

My wife told me she'd leave if I got a snake. I called her bluff and 4 hours later I was walking in with a 30 gallon tank and a ball python.

She still hasn't even touched the snake but she got over it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

My girl was a rescue, so we aren't 100% sure how old she was. The local vet said she estimated our girl to be from a fall clutch, probably 4-5 months old, and we got her in February. She was emaciated and dehydrated and covered in mites when we got her after she'd been dumped (tank and all) curbside outside an apartment complex during a 2 week freeze we were having. We didn't know whether she was going to make it, but she pulled through. We've had her for a year and a half now, fat, happy, and mite free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personality? Yes. Affection, not so much, although they do recognize familiar people and sometimes seek us out when in strange or unfamiliar situations.

I can definitely tell a change in "attitude" from when we first got our girl. At first, it was like she had just given up. Didn't seem to care what happened, who handled her, or how she was handled. No defensive coiling into a ball, nothing. After a couple months of good food, hydration, a warm, secure habitat, pest eradication, and frequent handling, she was much more active, seemed to "recognize" my husband and myself, and was showing typical ball python behaviors again. I know it is projection to a degree, but she seems content and secure now. She recognizes safety and the security of frequent meals, and while she may not see us as the source of that, she associates us with her environment of safety and security.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

We can be friends.

also

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My girl was a rescue, so we aren't 100% sure how old she was. The local vet said she estimated our girl to be from a fall clutch, probably 4-5 months old, and we got her in February. She was emaciated and dehydrated and covered in mites when we got her after she'd been dumped (tank and all) curbside outside an apartment complex during a 2 week freeze we were having. We didn't know whether she was going to make it, but she pulled through. We've had her for a year and a half now, fat, happy, and mite free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad u could help her...

More pics everyone!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Personality? Yes. Affection, not so much, although they do recognize familiar people and sometimes seek us out when in strange or unfamiliar situations.

I can definitely tell a change in "attitude" from when we first got our girl. At first, it was like she had just given up. Didn't seem to care what happened, who handled her, or how she was handled. No defensive coiling into a ball, nothing. After a couple months of good food, hydration, a warm, secure habitat, pest eradication, and frequent handling, she was much more active, seemed to "recognize" my husband and myself, and was showing typical ball python behaviors again. I know it is projection to a degree, but she seems content and secure now. She recognizes safety and the security of frequent meals, and while she may not see us as the source of that, she associates us with her environment of safety and security.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree completely.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#19]
When he was little

after a shed,

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When he was littlehttp://i.imgur.com/iwAhjhh.jpg

after a shed,
http://i.imgur.com/z6kySfX.jpg

View Quote

Why does he look blue at angles? What is this
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
No pictures, but heres my list:

2x regular bearded dragons (close to being a juvenile)
1x leather back/orange bearded dragon (small adult)
3 leopard geckos
1 ball python
1 rose hair tarantula
1 corn snake
1 tortoise

My leather back bearded dragon will sit and stare at me for hours and tries to get out of his cage. Not sure if they are "loving" like dogs, but mine trys to come to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I help pay for the 537 reptilians we keep in a custom built habitat called Washington D.C.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Brazilian rainbow boas have an "iridescent sheen" shows up amazingly well in sunlight.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that a bunny over there?

It is!  It's a bunny!  I'm gonna get that bunny!

Look ma I'm a cobra!

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Green Iguanas definitely had personality.  One I bought about 18 mos old and never handled.  Got him tamed down but lost lots of blood in the process and my arms looked like I was a cutter.  My second I got when he was a wee baby.  He was tamed from the get-go.  Both of them liked to 'play', get rubbed/scratched, ride on shoulders, get held, get hand fed, generally do new and interesting things.  They knew and trusted me, would come when I called them, and had certain people they liked and did not like.  My first one had to think he was the alpha.  Before you could pick him up the first time in the day, he had to 'bite' you to show you that you're his bitch.  The bite became nothing more than a very light gumming but he just had to keep doing it once a day to prove his dominance or something.  Just once a day though.

They both seemed to miss me if I had to leave for a few days and acted very excited and happy I was back and wanted some extra attention for a few hours.  Both had very good memory and thinking skills.  I could watch them plotting out a plan to get on the kitchen counter by climbing a large plant, swinging over to the curtain, going across the top of that to the bar area, climbing down and jumping over, and then to the counter where they had seen food before.  Then a day or two later, they would implement the plan.

My second one liked to play with the cat.

They were also able to identify canned foods by the labels.  If it had a pic of peas, they would be all over it.  Green beans or corn, not so much.  Pork-n-Beans - ignored.  Mandarin slices...STAND BACK!!

I know I felt terribly when I lost them.  To me they were just as much a part of my life as any cat or dog would be.

Don't have any pics of them, only video.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

One could ask the same questions to those with aquariums. The animals, whether fish or reptile, are interesting and beautiful none the less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

My retics are the most "social" of my snakes.  While they don't crave interaction with people they don't actively avoid it either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top