Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2024 11:06:13 AM EDT
My first and only printer has been an Ender 3 Pro.  Bought it 5-7 years ago....really don't remember when.  It was $125-$150 IIRC.  I typically wake up to printing for 1-2 months maybe 3 and then will go back to sleep for 6-8 mos. I've rewired/replaced the hot end once, the thermistor once or twice and the extruder nipple (not sure of the term) multiple times.....and then the base plate/print table surface several times.  

The last time I woke up, I was foggy on the calibration settings and the hot end/extrusion functioned horribly.  Wasn't printing right at all.  So I turned it off and went back to sleep until this morning in the shower when the consideration popped into my head as to whether or not it would be a good idea to just throw out the old printer and buy a new one.  

Here's my questions...

1.  Are there any excellent budget options right now....as the Ender 3 Pro once was?

2.  Has the technology come far enough that people that follow my pattern of printing/sleeping will do better with them and the printing won't suffer because of it when waking back up?

3.  Is the calibration from slicers (I've only used Cura) better or maybe retained better or transferrable from one computer to another to account for sleepers like me?

4.  Any other reasons to keep what I have or buy new/updated?  

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
There are sub $500 options out there that can provide as-good or better products in 1/3 - 1/4 the time required for older machines with way less drama.  IMHO that's reason enough to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nikdfish:
There are sub $500 options out there that can provide as-good or better products in 1/3 - 1/4 the time required for older machines with way less drama.  IMHO that's reason enough to pull the trigger.
View Quote

What are some models worth looking at?  

What is different about them vs. the Ender 3 Pro that would help someone with my printing knowledge (lack) and habits?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe look at a Bambu Lab A1?

Site says that sale is starting shortly (but it is already priced as an entry level machine).

https://us.store.bambulab.com/collections/3d-printer

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

What are some models worth looking at?  

What is different about them vs. the Ender 3 Pro that would help someone with my printing knowledge (lack) and habits?

Thanks!
View Quote

Get the A1.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Get the A1.
View Quote
Get an A1 if you are on a budget.  Or an A1 Mini if you don't need a large build plate.

Or, buy once cry once and get the X1C with AMS.  I am not crying, The X1C kicks ass.

Keep in mind, the filament cost will quickly eclipse the printer cost.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Saker13:
Get an A1 if you are on a budget.  Or an A1 Mini if you don't need a large build plate.

Or, buy once cry once and get the X1C with AMS.  I am not crying, The X1C kicks ass.

View Quote

All good points. Just respecting OP's requested budget.

X1C is for sure the be all end all outside full on commercial printers.

I have one with 2 AMS myself.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010365-3201646.jpg
View Quote
How do you like that Sunlu Dryer? I have the S2 version, is the upgrade worth it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you like that Sunlu Dryer? I have the S2 version, is the upgrade worth it?
View Quote

Now that I have the X1C, I'm not as in love with it as I was before. Previously I used it to feed the MMU of my Prusa MK3S+ but obviously that doesn't work with the AMS. Nowadays I only use it when getting new rolls before they go into the AMS so I think at most I've dried 3 rolls at once. Still handy but it was perfect before. I guess the issue really lies with the AMS, not the S4.

I'd still buy it again.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

I printed a skull planter and an AR15 and AR10 lower for my larger prints...I'm guessing I can't do that on a mini.

Thanks though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010365-3201646.jpg

I can’t speak to a comparison, but I have two of the 4 spool versions & they seem to do the job. I use one for PLA & one for ABS.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

I can't speak to a comparison, but I have two of the 4 spool versions & they seem to do the job. I use one for PLA & one for ABS.
View Quote
I'm looking for ABS, ASA and PC drying.  Yje X1C with AMS handles PLA and PETG for now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, even a new Ender 3 V2 or whatever version they're up to will absolutely clobber the old Ender 3 Pro models in terms of speed, ease of use, and printing accuracy. And those are sub $200.

You're going to need to spend ~450 for an "appliance grade" printer, but the cheap Ender models are pretty close.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
@Emt1581

The Bambu Lab anniversary sale that @targetworks mentioned above is live. Link
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gage:
@Emt1581

The Bambu Lab anniversary sale that @targetworks mentioned above is live. Link
View Quote

I see that.  Thanks!

Haven't had the time to do any homework as to why I should upgrade and what the Bambu or others offer.  Hopefully I'll get a chance one of the next couple nights or over the weekend.  Remember, how I approach 3D printing is what I'd want the reasoning to speak to.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#15]
The A1 Mini is a hell of a deal at $200.  I have an A1 Mini and an X1C.  Both are running right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top