Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dumb related question, where's a good online knife outlet that carries good stuff?

Think PSA/Natchez/Brownell's but for knives, if it exists.
View Quote

I do bladhq.com
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dumb related question, where's a good online knife outlet that carries good stuff?

View Quote

Knifecenter. Com
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my only OTF...picked it up for $100 from a third party that was dumping his stash.
Added Tractiongrip to it:

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]

yup
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It WAS an OTF Microtech Combat Troodon

It was stolen from my residence by a Tucson cop. POS.
View Quote

Story please...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
UTX-85 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a troodon that never really grew on me. I was playing with an acquaintances utx85 not long ago and found the smaller size quite convenient. Think it's next on my list.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Knifecenter. Com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knifecenter. Com

I got my Microtecs at Arizona Custom Knives. They sell used knives and you can get them for a bit of a discount. All the ones I got were like new in original boxes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My Ultratech is definitely my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
PVK knives
here
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do bladhq.com
View Quote

Thanks I found that a bit earlier via google.  Lots of things to choose from
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story please...
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/CD5B1B69-9216-403B-9358-C05A3A07987F-482.gif

Family squabble. Things were said. Cops were called.  Cops wandered around.  Discovered knife missing next day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Family squabble. Things were said. Cops were called.  Cops wandered around.  Discovered knife missing next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story please...
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/CD5B1B69-9216-403B-9358-C05A3A07987F-482.gif

Damn that sucks.  Can't trust anyone anymore.  Any time I am having any strangers in my home I do a quick walk around and hide anything that may be attractive to a sticky-fingered thief.  But an LEO?  Just damn.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a couple of the Boker Plus OTF knives as well.  I carried the black one for several months.  I like them a lot, but the blade thickness is pretty slim and i wouldn't really put it to hard use.  Those blades LOVE to cut.

https://i.imgur.com/rfLSsYU.jpg

View Quote

Their blade steel is really impressive for D2. Holds an edge great and gets slicey sharp. I’m reluctant to believe it’s actually D2 based on my other D2 knives, even accounting for geometry.

(ETA: Nothing insane, but I’d say it performs more like CM154 if I had to pinpoint it.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Those blades are amazing but I can't stomach paying $300 for one. I guess I'm cheap. Do y'all have a good third tier knife you recommend for EDC?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those blades are amazing but I can't stomach paying $300 for one. I guess I'm cheap. Do y'all have a good third tier knife you recommend for EDC?
View Quote

Lightning OTF or AKC. The AKC will have better steel but the one AKC I’ve had my hands on didn’t have as good of action as the Lightning.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Got one.  Loved it at first.  Then I noticed screws were backing out, with one already lost, after only carrying it at most a dozen times.

CS experience was less than great.  Offered no explanation as to why it might have occurred, nor did they offer to send me a screw or two.  Instead, they told me to ship it back to them at my expense, along with a check for $7 in the box to cover return shipping.  Eventually shipped back with screw replaced with no explanation. Ignored same question I submitted after they shipped it back.

Since I don't feel like checking screw torque every time I carry it, it will largely sit usused now.

TL;DR:  Not a fan.
View Quote

Take the screws out and put a little clear nail polish on the threads and they'll stay put.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Misfire
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I ended up calling and asking if they forgot threadlock and phone support said it's not to be used with their OTF knives, per their tech folks.

So I asked if it was as simple as they just failed to torque them or were the holes not tapped correctly.  They had no idea, but shipped the same knife back, so hopefully the former.

But the entire experience soured it for me.
View Quote

You can send it to me for disposal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lightning OTF or AKC. The AKC will have better steel but the one AKC I’ve had my hands on didn’t have as good of action as the Lightning.
View Quote

I have both the Lightning and a AKC F16. I agree the Lightning has a better action.
Purchased them from Grindworx.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lightning OTF or AKC. The AKC will have better steel but the one AKC I've had my hands on didn't have as good of action as the Lightning.
View Quote
Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have both the Lightning and a AKC F16. I agree the Lightning has a better action.
View Quote

I’m gonna order a Lightning from Grindworx tonight.  Might as well start out cheap
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m gonna order a Lightning from Grindworx tonight.  Might as well start out cheap
View Quote

It’s not a Microtech, but I use mine for work, and don’t always have the ability to use both hands to open a knife. If I lose it in the dirt I won’t be heartbroken.
I have a little SOG Twitch that I like a lot. It’s not an OTF, but I carry it when I’m not working.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I love seeing all of these mint never used carry knives.

Oh, I get to post a pic of my knife

Runs to the safe, unwrap knife, take pic, post, wrap knife grab a hot pocket
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you have a few of them it takes awhile you get any real wear on them.  When I do  just have my valet retrieve me another.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Used be be a UTX-85 but now it's a Hogue Counterstrike. It's better than the microtech, IMO.
View Quote
This is what I do as well. Picked up a couple on sale for $25 each. Don't worry too much if they get beat up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Hogue which is a good knife but stiffer than Joe Biden at a Girl Scouts meeting.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#33]
OriginallyPosted By Justcause:

View Quote

Where’s the pic of yours?
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#34]

TRUTH! Guardian Tactical makes a waaay better OTF than Microtech, plus Tony Marfione kinda seems like a douche. I listed after an Ultratech and once I got one I was just meh about it. Super stiff spring & pocket lint will gum it up to the point that it won’t reliably deploy and latch. But, it’s still cool.

Then I discovered the Recon-035 and it’s quite a bit better in every objective way. But, it too suffers from some of the same issues as the Ultratech and presumably other OTF knives. These are the only two I own. The Halo is pretty cool but I refuse to spend that much on a knife.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Make sure you get a lightning "elite". They cost a few bucks more but they're definitely a step up in quality from the regular lightning.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Desire for UTX-85 S/E intensifies. Dangerous thread is dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Make sure you get a lightning "elite". They cost a few bucks more but they're definitely a step up in quality from the regular lightning.
View Quote
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what I ordered
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Made this into a 30x40 for a friend that has an online Microtech store. She sent me 3 Ultratechs in return
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#40]

i only have the two OTF knives but I prefer the Recon O35 to the Ultratech.

All of these knives have about a years worth of EDC use on them. The Benchmade 9700 is the only safe queen on the last 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm gonna order a Lightning from Grindworx tonight.  Might as well start out cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna order a Lightning from Grindworx tonight.  Might as well start out cheap
I had the same thought five years ago, and ordered the same thing from the same place. The damn thing won't grow legs and get lost or stop working so I can justify a nice one to replace it. It's beat to shit and still fires, I've never cleaned or maintained it. I don't understand it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Their blade steel is really impressive for D2. Holds an edge great and gets slicey sharp. I’m reluctant to believe it’s actually D2 based on my other D2 knives, even accounting for geometry.

(ETA: Nothing insane, but I’d say it performs more like CM154 if I had to pinpoint it.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple of the Boker Plus OTF knives as well.  I carried the black one for several months.  I like them a lot, but the blade thickness is pretty slim and i wouldn't really put it to hard use.  Those blades LOVE to cut.

https://i.imgur.com/rfLSsYU.jpg

Those two are 154 steel made by Hogue.  That's the thing with Boker, they use a lot of different makers for their knives.  Some of the plus OTF blades are from CobraTech (I believe those are D2).

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had the same thought five years ago, and ordered the same thing from the same place. The damn thing won't grow legs and get lost or stop working so I can justify a nice one to replace it. It's beat to shit and still fires, I've never cleaned or maintained it. I don't understand it.
View Quote

This ^

I got mine as a toy, conversation piece, carried it to work a couple times to show some friends and it just kept making the trip.

It's been about 4 years I guess and it still works like a champ. Once in a great while a coin will get up in the slot and need to be removed but it's never been a problem.

I have bought "better" ones since but they just sit in the safe for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#44]
As mentioned above. Dangerous thread is dangerous

I had an Ultratech years ago and got bored and sold it here on the EE

wish I'd kept it
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#45]
The best I've owned is a Microtec.  I've had this thing for 4 years, and it's nothing special.  The blade stays pretty sharp, but it feels chincy.  I wouldn't buy another otf knife.  Just get a good locking knife.  It'll be more useful and more durable.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Really happy with my Hogue Counterstrike Collector Series. It was my first and only OTF even though I have many OTS autos.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The best I've owned is a Microtec.  I've had this thing for 4 years, and it's nothing special.  The blade stays pretty sharp, but it feels chincy.  I wouldn't buy another otf knife.  Just get a good locking knife.  It'll be more useful and more durable.
View Quote

Got one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Came today.  Good knife for peanuts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I know it will get hate, but I have several Lightning OTF’s, and have been very pleased.

I actually use the snot out of them, and this is my current EDC.
Cliffie approved:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top