BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They aren't the same, the M240 is still a lot more durable and since most MGs are used mounted on vehicles the 6 pounds isn't that big a deal.
View Quote

The vehicle mounted guns and coaxs (240 and M2) should be consolided into the 338.

5.56 for infantry carbines
6.8 SAW/GPMG/DMR
338 or 40mm for Vehicles
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The vehicle mounted guns and coaxs (240 and M2) should be consolided into the 338.

5.56 for infantry carbines
6.8 SAW/GPMG/DMR
338 or 40mm for Vehicles
View Quote

I have reservations about a 6.8mm in the squad mostly due to weight.  I have no reservations about using M855A1 for a DMR rifle. We can revisit that when the Army makes a program to train DMs to shoot farther than a free floated M4A1 can shoot.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have reservations about a 6.8mm in the squad mostly due to weight.  I have no reservations about using M855A1 for a DMR rifle. We can revisit that when the Army makes a program to train DMs to shoot farther than a free floated M4A1 can shoot. 0

View Quote

Both the belt feds are ligher than the SAW by a good margin. Being able to flex the SAW into a proper machine gun based on mission is a huge win for flexibility.Ultimately, for a proper dismounted patrol, everyone is carrying additional belted 556 or 762, total number of rounds on belt may stay the same, but every beltfed will use the same ammo in the platoon.
Ive always thought that program has about a 10% chance of buying rifles but a large chance of replacing both the 249 and 240 in dismounted roles.

I have no issue with A1 as a DMR round, but we are buying a bunch of 7.62 guns for the role. The 556 DMR concept doesn't fly for whatever reason in the Army. The 6.8 should be a very flat shooting cartridge with high BC, so it does fit much  than m80 ball tha most guys are using.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah the 7.62 DMR is stupid. How many of them are going to run out of ammunition and not have anywhere to get it but pulling down belts?

I’m less concerned about gun weight than ammo weight and cube for machineguns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah the 7.62 DMR is stupid. How many of them are going to run out of ammunition and not have anywhere to get it but pulling down belts?

I’m less concerned about gun weight than ammo weight and cube for machineguns.
View Quote

Being able to redistribute machine gun ammo across all teams is a big win in my eyes. The weight per round will be between, 556 and 762, where it falls is depending on the winner. Volume wise they will all be near 762 is true. We will have to see if the 4-8 pounds lost in gun is negated by the additional ammo weight cross loaded amongst the platoon. I am of the opinion that it will largely be net loss on volume, total weight is a push, and a gain in range and lethality of the unit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What the hell is a soldier touch point?  I'm not sure I want to know especially if it's considered an "event".

Tony
View Quote
I think a touch point was covered in SHARP - if I was paying attention.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are still some that haven't been converted?
View Quote
We had M16A2's overseas in 2018.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Why is it so hard to just slap ambi controls and a free floated rail on an M4 and call it an M4A3?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is it so hard to just slap ambi controls and a free floated rail on an M4 and call it an M4A3?
View Quote

Because that doesn't address the issue trying to be corrected.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Brass isn’t going anywhere. Polymer cases sound like a cool and innovative idea but have one main issue: brass cases are a heat sink that draws heat out of the chamber, plastics don’t have the same thermodynamic properties. In a beltfed MG, this is vital to prevent Cookoffs. Without brass, barrel changes will have to be more often. This is an awful idea as barrel changes take the gun out of the fight momentarily. It doesn’t make any sense to trade a small amount of weight savings for more gaps in suppression.
View Quote

You are thinking of caseless ammo. Polymer cases insulate the chamber from the heat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Being able to redistribute machine gun ammo across all teams is a big win in my eyes. The weight per round will be between, 556 and 762, where it falls is depending on the winner. Volume wise they will all be near 762 is true. We will have to see if the 4-8 pounds lost in gun is negated by the additional ammo weight cross loaded amongst the platoon. I am of the opinion that it will largely be net loss on volume, total weight is a push, and a gain in range and lethality of the unit.
View Quote

I agree if you’re comparing the 6.8 and the SAW. But you could also get a KAC LMG in 5.56 with plastic cases and be lighter and smaller yet. The thing is I might be ok sharing ammunition between squad and platoon and company machineguns but I’m going to expect that they are different guns because I don’t want to make the same compromises in an assault gun and a tripod mounted gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
If the Sig steel base is ferrous enough to be picked up with a magnet, it needs to be adopted so range cleanup can be done by two shitbags with bar magnets, thus saving millions of man hours across services.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree if you’re comparing the 6.8 and the SAW. But you could also get a KAC LMG in 5.56 with plastic cases and be lighter and smaller yet. The thing is I might be ok sharing ammunition between squad and platoon and company machineguns but I’m going to expect that they are different guns because I don’t want to make the same compromises in an assault gun and a tripod mounted gun.
View Quote

I wouldnt get used to the idea of an assualt machine gun in any capacity outside SOCOM. They make far too many compromises in longevity to ever considered for line unit issue. The KAC and Surefire guns are cool, but they wont be SAW replacement, if its 556, new SAWs will be bought.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wouldnt get used to the idea of an assualt machine gun in any capacity outside SOCOM. They make far too many compromises in longevity to ever considered for line unit issue. The KAC and Surefire guns are cool, but they wont be SAW replacement, if its 556, new SAWs will be bought.
View Quote

I don’t know that there is any reason to believe that a stamped constant recoil gun is less durable than a stamped traditionally buffered gun.  I do know that taking 7 pounds off an automatic rifleman should be worth a few thousand dollars at least.

But if they keep the SAW for gods sake get rid of the damn magwell.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The KAC is about 8 pounds lighter than the SAW. It would be totally worth it for dismounted units, and mounted support units shouldn't get SAWs anyway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The KAC is about 8 pounds lighter than the SAW. It would be totally worth it for dismounted units, and mounted support units shouldn't get SAWs anyway.
View Quote

Yup. The tradeoff in rate of fire is worthwhile for having a machinegun that's so controllable.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup. The tradeoff in rate of fire is worthwhile for having a machinegun that's so controllable.
View Quote

In my mind, never having been infantry, the lower ROF means a belt will allow you to suppress the same area for longer.

Put another way, the ROF is 30% lower, so you need 30% less ammunition to support the same duration of assault.

The KAC has the same ROF as the M240, more or less, but probably isn't anywhere near as durable. Which is fine, I just wouldn't want to put it on a tripod and fire 10,000 rounds in a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
All I want to know is when I can buy my .277 Fury chambered AR and a few cases of ammo, and how much it will cost (gotta save up ya'know).
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wait, was Sig selected or are they just test guns?
View Quote

It's just a PR piece as they were just test submissions.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We all know Sig will win. Their rifles are not that different than what is already available, which big army loves and hates anything too "revolutionary". They've never been a fan of bullpups and the textron rifle is way too bulky. While composite casings should be the future, it won't be.
View Quote

Agreed. Sig has got this one in the bag. I didn't think it would be possible to develop a more bloated looking combat rifle than the Beretta ARX-100, but somehow Textron managed to make one that makes the Beretta rifle look skinny in comparison. And WTF was General Dynamics thinking when they entered a bullpup design? Ain't no bullpup ever winning a U.S. military contract for anything. Sig won this long ago by simply introducing an evolutionary design rather than something radically different. I actually really like the Sig LMG variant and the rifle is okay too. I don't really like anything about either of the other two designs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Ha, if this administration does anything that increases combat capability, it will be accidental.  More likely they’ll repurpose the NSGW funds for powerpoints produced by John Brennan’s outside firm explaining to troops how they are racist and homophobic for even serving their country.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is Tex's less retarded looking than the last offering they submitted?  SIG was the only one that even looked like it was designed by people who'd fired a gun, before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are just the test guns.  No one has been selected yet.

Correct. Sig keeps putting this out there like they ready won the contract. This is just their final submission.

Textron will also be submitting a final version of they haven't already.

Is Tex's less retarded looking than the last offering they submitted?  SIG was the only one that even looked like it was designed by people who'd fired a gun, before.
That's what I don't understand. How the fuck do you have a job working on such a high profile project and clearly have zero idea about how the end product of said project should perform?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]
will 101st or 82nd infantry dudes get these...ever?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Most people aren't going to stand around and let you blast a hole in their armor. I might be mistaken.

You aren't wrong on combined arms though. The proliferation of mini-missiles and drones is going to shake things up in a really nasty way.
View Quote
Did you guys see the video footage from the recent Armenia - Azerbaijan fighting?

I don't know what the weapon system was, but the Azeri's were using drones with IR sensors, and dropping some kind of guided munition right into trenches and foxholes next to individual soldiers.    

They were going right down the trench-line and hitting every group of soldiers in it.  It would be horrific to be on the receiving end of that weapon system.   There is a need to develop some countermeasures to that ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did you guys see the video footage from the recent Armenia - Azerbaijan fighting?

I don't know what the weapon system was, but the Azeri's were using drones with IR sensors, and dropping some kind of guided munition right into trenches and foxholes next to individual soldiers.    

They were going right down the trench-line and hitting every group of soldiers in it.  It would be horrific to be on the receiving end of that weapon system.   There is a need to develop some countermeasures to that ASAP.
View Quote

You notice that the new IFV will have a 50mm cannon with air burst modes? There’s a reason for that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people aren't going to stand around and let you blast a hole in their armor. I might be mistaken.

You aren't wrong on combined arms though. The proliferation of mini-missiles and drones is going to shake things up in a really nasty way.

I remember guys here just 5 years ago making fun of people for suggesting greatly changed battlefield dynamics were on the horizon.

When a country with a GDP comparable to the poorest US states can employ PGM's at will, the shit has hit the proverbial fan.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want to address infantry "overmatch", get more HE down to platoon and squad levels.  

Things like Carl G. and iMortar.

Norsk USA Ultra Lightweight 60mm iMortar
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I can see replacing the Beltfeds. But there is nothing out there that's good enough to justify changing out the M4.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They aren't the same, the M240 is still a lot more durable and since most MGs are used mounted on vehicles the 6 pounds isn't that big a deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 14 pound gun is the AMG which is .308 or 6.5 creedmore That's a ludicrously good improvement over the 240B.

The six pounds are why it's mostly mounted, though.

They're on the right track, a true LMG that's practical to use dismounted is a gap in our arsenal.  The Mag is a fine gun, but like the 1919 it is ridiculously big & heavy for what it's doing, in an infantry role.  Heavier than any other modernish LMG as well as its contemporaries.  A smaller, lighter gun, in a cartridge that is also smaller & lighter but more efficient ballistically, is an improvement.

The desire for ammo commonality is because a dismounted LMG and DMR would be engaging similar ranges, and the AP capacity of a round is highly range-dependent.  Not saying that justifies the logic, but that's probably how they got there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We'll still have M4's in FY 2031.
View Quote

Yup, and smartly so
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I fully expect us to blow a ton of money on this, then abandon it due to military funding cuts over the next several years.
View Quote

It's a Sig, Sig will abandon the platform shortly and leave it's adopters scratching their balls.  Happens every time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FCDJo4EgHwbaPS%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

So is Joglee the "Coronabro two more weeks" of weapon systems?

OR (the better more likely option)

is the Coronabro two more weeks the joglee of pandemics?
View Quote

Yes, but he is also a 2 more weeks Coronabro. Any disagreement with either topic brings up equal amounts of screeching.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The six pounds are why it's mostly mounted, though.

They're on the right track, a true LMG that's practical to use dismounted is a gap in our arsenal.  The Mag is a fine gun, but like the 1919 it is ridiculously big & heavy for what it's doing, in an infantry role.  Heavier than any other modernish LMG as well as its contemporaries.  A smaller, lighter gun, in a cartridge that is also smaller & lighter but more efficient ballistically, is an improvement.

The desire for ammo commonality is because a dismounted LMG and DMR would be engaging similar ranges, and the AP capacity of a round is highly range-dependent.  Not saying that justifies the logic, but that's probably how they got there.
View Quote

It's mounted because most machineguns belong to non-maneuver units.

The MAG only seems big and heavy when you use it like an assault machinegun. On a tripod with a few thousand rounds it's in its element.

If you want an automatic rifle then use the 10 pound KAC in 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is Textrons final submission on the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#35]
They need to adopt the Textron belt fed LMG with the tilting chamber using cased telescoped ammo. Best designed gun along with a really meaningful advance on the ammo.

They need to pitch the Textron carbine and ask for new carbine submissions from all of the manufacturers using the cased telescoped ammo.

They need to re-spec the cased telescoped cartridge to a more reasonable chamber pressure and velocity.

Done.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top