Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
100% non venomous water snake, I'd bet your life on it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What details lead you to that?
(curious, not a snek expert)
View Quote

Hard to tell from the pic- venomous cotton mouths have a head shaped like an arrow.

Younger cotton mouths have horizontal bands that eventually turn black on the too side. Eyes are also slits and not round.

Close enough for my taste to a cotton mouth- I’d shoot it if it was around my house
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a hognose to me .
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a plain bellied water snake.  Any one suggesting it's a water moccasin is wrong.  Anyone suggesting it's a water moccasin due to "head shape" needs to learn to ID snakes based off more than old wive's tales.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230525/IMG_1507_jpeg-2848899.JPG

ETA:  you could post it on Texas Snake Identification on FB, but I'd probably be the one to provide the ID there, too.
View Quote

I like snakes, but that V shaped head would yield it a sentence of "chop-n-bury for imitating a Water Moccasin" at my house.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like a hognose to me .
https://phenology.mwparc.org/media/26.jpg
View Quote
I see how you think that based on the pattern, but it's missing the whole "hognose".  It's a plain bellied water snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That doesn't look like the snake in the OP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty spot on. Add a little musk to that as well!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NOT a moccasin.
Looks to be a water snake....plain-bellied water snake perhaps.

https://inaturalist-open-data.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/602817/large.jpg?1386441347

Kinda pretty.. still has that bitey look some snakes have lol... like you know 9 times out of 10 if you mess with that particular species your gonna get snapped at.

Pretty spot on. Add a little musk to that as well!

LOL.  I freaking hate getting musked on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like snakes, but that V shaped head would yield it a sentence of "chop-n-bury for imitating a Water Moccasin" at my house.
View Quote
I kindly suggest you do some research. A lot of snakes, water snakes and rat snakes especially, will flatten their head out when frightened.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Articulate python
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That doesn't look like the snake in the OP.
View Quote

It is. Many color variations between snakes, and many varied colors throughout the season even with the same snake. I've caught this guy at least once a season for 3 seasons and sometimes the red is bright, sometimes it's barely noticeable. Sometimes it's dark, and when it's really dry out it's light olive.  It's a plain bellied water snake and she'll flatten out like in the pic and put the old diamond head on display. When not threatened they're just thicker than the usual rat snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Appears to be some variation of non-venomous water snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like a water moccasin to me
View Quote

I think it's a King snake.

Moccasins are typically much fatter for their length.

That being said, here's a moccasin caught by the contractor who handles our beaver removal needs.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like a water moccasin to me
View Quote

All black. Triangular head...i say mocassin too
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have had a few large rat snakes around my place for years. I like knowing they are around. Snapped this pic just two weeks ago..4 footer on a branch by the barn.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413035/Screenshot_20230612_131722_Gallery_jpg-2848914.JPG

That being said...the pit viper headed one in OP would get the shovel chop and bury treatment at my place.  

View Quote

It's a harmless snake, not a pit viper.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Pit bull
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
that picture is hard to make out the markings of it.  

either a watersnake or female copperhead.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

What identifying characteristics would make you think that is a copperhead, and a female copperhead in particular?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What identifying characteristics would make you think that is a copperhead, and a female copperhead in particular?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iT hAs A pOisoNoUs tRiAnGle HeAd
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a cottonmouth. Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

the shape of the head and most females snakes with markings are duller in color then males.
i can't really make out the markings other than the faint stripes
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
inland taipan
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Water Moccasin and Water Snake Differences

Water Moccasin and Water Snake Differences
Since the number of non-poisonous water snake species outnumber water moccasins, it's easy to confuse the two snakes because of similarities in coloring and habitats. The easiest way to identify the water moccasin from a non-venomous water snake is to check its head. Water snakes have long tapered heads that blend seamlessly into their bodies – and there are no heat-sensing pits below and between the eyes and the nose.

All pit vipers, water moccasins included, have a distinctively wedge-shaped triangular head and much smaller necks than their heads. Water snakes prefer resting in the higher branches of trees near the water's edge while water moccasins prefer being closer to the water to take advantage of their prey. Water snakes differ from water moccasins in that the water snakes immediately bolt when threatened, even going underwater. Water moccasins stand their ground, gaping their wide mouths to discourage predators. Most water moccasins seldom bite when threatened, unless stepped on or picked up, and if given enough space, will turn and leave.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

the shape of the head and most females snakes with markings are duller in color then males.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me you've never seen a copperhead without telling me you've never seen a copperhead.  Also, many non-venomous snakes flatten their heads when threatened.  This is not a reliable indicator of a venomous snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s amazing there are any snakes left in the world with all of the ignorant pussies among us.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to reply to threads that don’t deal with identifying snakes from now on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The snake was correctly identified as a non-venomous Plain-bellied Water snake on page 1.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Can't tell from the photo, not close enough, but looks to me to be a shovel snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its hard to tell based off the picture.

King or black rat snake would be my guess.

Moccasins typically have real thick bodies with short tails.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tell me you've never seen a copperhead without telling me you've never seen a copperhead.  Also, many non-venomous snakes flatten their heads when threatened.  This is not a reliable indicator of a venomous snake.
View Quote

https://howdoyoutell.info/how-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-a-male-and-female-copperhead/

If you live in the eastern U.S., there’s a good chance you’ve encountered a copperhead snake. These snakes are typically quite sized, reaching an average of 2 feet long. However, their shape and coloring can vary significantly between males and females.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://howdoyoutell.info/how-can-you-tell-the-difference-between-a-male-and-female-copperhead/

If you live in the eastern U.S., there’s a good chance you’ve encountered a copperhead snake. These snakes are typically quite sized, reaching an average of 2 feet long. However, their shape and coloring can vary significantly between males and females.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“-Males also tend to be darker than females, with dark crossbands on their shoulders and around their necks.”

That’s from the link you posted. Considering that the snake the OP asked about was pretty much black, I’d say you even proved yourself wrong. Nothing about that snake looked like a copperhead.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think it's a King snake.

Moccasins are typically much fatter for their length.

That being said, here's a moccasin caught by the contractor who handles our beaver removal needs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77154/Moccasin_JPG-2849011.jpg
View Quote

Even with a bit of forced perspective, that's a very large specimen.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Did you think to ask the snake how it identifies, bigot?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Need a better photo of the head, but I'd guess it is a water snake.
View Quote

Side shot to see if it has the eye ridges of a moccasin or the vertical stripes of a water snake. I'm going with non-venomous rat or water snake based on the potato quality.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#34]
No step
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s a harmless water snake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I keep reading new posts and am amazed at the amount of idiots here that have no idea what they are talking about but are so confident in their incorrect identifications.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Water snake, and there aren't "poisonous" snakes.  ...
View Quote
The difference between Poisonous and Venomous is at best a third or fourth place problem in these conversations.

1- Is Snek Gud?
2- How Tell Snek Bad?
3- Wot iz Diff?
4- How we call badness?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I keep reading new posts and am amazed at the amount of idiots here that have no idea what they are talking about but are so confident in their incorrect identifications.
View Quote

First time in a snake thread, huh?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not.  I'd just expect better here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

im leaning this way. Head looks like a pit viper.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Everyone who keeps getting their knickers in a twist about the "triangle head...oh the noez, kill it with fire"....90% of snakes flatten out their heads when threatened or messed with.  That might be the LEAST reliable feature.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Need a better photo of the head, but I'd guess it is a water snake.
View Quote

I'm thinking Diamondback water snake (Nerodia rhombifer)
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#43]
straight up assholes right there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#44]
non venomous watersnake

I’ve seen them before flatten their head and body to look triangular

also as said before…
tail is too slender and long to be venomous
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's a plain bellied water snake.  Any one suggesting it's a water moccasin is wrong.  Anyone suggesting it's a water moccasin due to "head shape" needs to learn to ID snakes based off more than old wive's tales.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230525/IMG_1507_jpeg-2848899.JPG

ETA:  you could post it on Texas Snake Identification on FB, but I'd probably be the one to provide the ID there, too.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been here since 2010? Must not have wandered into GD much then, at least since the 13ers arrived…
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's how a person learns...make wrong assumptions get corrected...heed the corrections.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

From the potato photo;

Coloration

Body shape

Head shape
View Quote

That's the way I'm leaning.

Caught a lot of water bandits when I was a kid, only twice did I pin down a moccasin. They usually don't let you get close anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Water snake,  they are pissy
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Not a cottonmouth and not a plain bellied water snake. Plain bellies have no patterns on their backs and orangish bellies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top