View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't like the name.

"bullpup" ??  it don't even make sense
Eewww, gross name!

Not sure if this is accurate?

the origin of the weapon’s name is likely American and came about by comparing the gun’s design to a bulldog puppy as a “squat, ugly, but aggressive and powerful” dog.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A buddy has a Steyr Aug, really sweet gun. I like it a lot. He let me shoot it a few times. So nice but damn that trigger sucked hard. From what I understand the trigger can be upgraded but it will never equal a good AR trigger. For me the two biggest points of a rifle are sights and trigger. The bullpups can be equal or better with the sights but I don't think it is mechanically possible to match triggers. Eventually when electric triggers become common, maybe. Until then I will stick with my AR.
I own a couple ARs and a couple of bullpups, they each have their niche.
View Quote

How would sights on a bullpup beat sights on an AR?
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A buddy has a Steyr Aug, really sweet gun. I like it a lot. He let me shoot it a few times. So nice but damn that trigger sucked hard. From what I understand the trigger can be upgraded but it will never equal a good AR trigger. For me the two biggest points of a rifle are sights and trigger. The bullpups can be equal or better with the sights but I don't think it is mechanically possible to match triggers. Eventually when electric triggers become common, maybe. Until then I will stick with my AR.
I own a couple ARs and a couple of bullpups, they each have their niche.
View Quote

Wrong.

I have the Geissele Super Sabra and Lightning bow in the SAR.

The OEM SAR trigger was kind of heavy, but I've felt OEM AR triggers that were just as heavy, and grittier.

With the Super Sabra pack, the trigger pull felt close to an AR with a Geissele SSA.

With the Super Sabra + Lightning Bow, it was approaching an SSA-E (i.e far better than many/most AR triggers).

*** the adjustable trigger on the DT HTi is adjusted to just over 1lb. Single stage. No creep. I warn people to try the trigger with the gun unloaded, before they try firing a live round. Otherwise, they tend to accidentally fire a shot the moment they touch the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I handled an IWI one time and it felt like holding a Webster dictionary  

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are great if you ONLY shoot on one shoulder and it's configured for that one side shooting.

They suck in real life. There is a reason why they get dumped by militaries.

View Quote

The whole shooting from the off shoulder thing isn't as common irl as celebrity trainers and Instagram larpers make it seem
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually do train to transfer and shoot from my "off" shoulder.

Yeah I'm still not great at it but I'm still a lot better off than someone who doesn't train it at all.

Having to otherwise expose most of my body to shoot around a corner to my left is not a good place to be.

If you think about it, that's about 50% of the world's corners...

I can't really speak for other bullpups but the X95 is ok-ish when shooting from the weak shoulder, as the brass ejects at 2:00 if you're running 5.56, with .223 you better make an effort to keep your head well back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How would sights on a bullpup beat sights on an AR?
View Quote

Optics  
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Of course not, because right hand shooters suck at it and get hosed in FoF engagements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are great if you ONLY shoot on one shoulder and it's configured for that one side shooting.

They suck in real life. There is a reason why they get dumped by militaries.

The whole shooting from the off shoulder thing isn't as common irl as celebrity trainers and Instagram larpers make it seem

Of course not, because right hand shooters suck at it and get hosed in FoF engagements.

FoF/shoot house/simunitions training is great for illustrating this.

Even playing airsoft/paintball will quickly show that any body parts that stick out too far, will likely get hit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both but prefer AR15s. If it uses STANAG magazines, I buy it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Both were assaulters for Delta Force.  That’s a tiny clue they might know something you don’t.
View Quote

If you listen to Matt Pranka's redneck podcast, he said he doesn't do it personally. Kyle Defoor and Mike Pannone also said the same. Just more data points.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't consider myself "tactical" or "HSLD".  More, I like to own and shoot cool guns and have since the early 1990's.  I have a pre-ban AUG, complete with the Swarvoski "donut of death".  About the only thing I don't like about it is the squeeze magazine release (which can be fixed with a NATO stock).  Otherwise, I would not feel outgunned if I "had" to use it.  I can tell you it is tougher than nails.  I bought it in 2018 used, and my middle son was with me and started pressing buttons when I wasn't looking and launched the receiver/scope/barrel forwards onto a hard ceramic tile floor.  It landed several feet out and had twisted onto the scope side.  I challenge anyone to find where it hit as the finish is all intact, and we both shot it when we got home (bought it on vacation) and it shot to POA at 100 yards to where it would hit the gong without adjustments.  

Practically, if I HAD to chose something to carry in the field as a rifle - it would be an AR.  If I needed concealment, I would stuff my Poly Tech Legend folder under my coat.  It is serious medicine in a small package.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had to go to combat I would probably use my X95 over the AR. The only thing I would change would be trigger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like another Strasbourg Tests.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:47:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah but most countries are moving away from bullpups.

Royal Marines are getting KAC AR-15s:

New Zealand went with LMT rifles.

France replaced the FAMAS with the HK 416:

Australian special forces use M4s rather than the AUG.

Yeah there are still a number of users, but less than there were 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If that was true the SAS would be using SA80s.
View Quote
Lol its hard to define the LA85 as the pinnacle of bullpups.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't watched that video yet and don't know if he's just trolling, but there's a reason why the armies that have adopted bullpups are trying to move away from them and to an AR-15 pattern rifle. They're handy guns for tankers, crewmen, etc. Infantry should not be using bullpups though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/images/news/new/230907-royal-marines-new-rifle/n.jpg?rev=36865f7971e949ecafcb935a033028a3

https://armyrecognition.com/images/stories/news/2021/july/French_armed_forces_have_already_taken_delivery_of_53000_HK416_F_assault_rifles_925_001.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/images/news/new/230907-royal-marines-new-rifle/n.jpg?rev=36865f7971e949ecafcb935a033028a3

https://armyrecognition.com/images/stories/news/2021/july/French_armed_forces_have_already_taken_delivery_of_53000_HK416_F_assault_rifles_925_001.jpg

Some say that the French choice of the 416 over the VHS was a political decision.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who int eh world puts dice valve stem caps on a viper?
View Quote

Me, because I fucking felt like it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Having cleaned & fondled a Keltec RDB my $.02 is
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#26]
At this point the AR-15 is so entrenched that even if a bullpup that was substantially better in every performance metric were released tomorrow, it would hardly even make a dent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point the AR-15 is so entrenched that even if a bullpup that was substantially better in every performance metric were released tomorrow, it would hardly even make a dent.
View Quote

3 gun competitors would use them if there was even a minute advantage
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever seen Jerry Miculek's review of the Tavor?

When he does some runs with it, his shots were hitting off center by his own admission, because he wasn't used to such low inertia from the rearward balance and short length, and was pushing the muzzle over too far in target transitions because of hundreds of thousands of rounds training his muscle memory for an AR's balance/inertia.

In simple terms (as the video in the OP concludes), that weight bias closer to the shooter's CoM/CoG, aids in both stability and maneuvering the firearm. Theoretically, if someone like Jerry trained for the difference, his target transitions would be even faster (i.e. if he is constantly overshooting the center of the target between transitions with the same splits, retraining his muscle memory for the difference in weight/inertia to stop dead center would equal shorter splits.

That's the biggest point of contention. Look at all the bullpup naysayers in this very thread. They do the same old song and dance. "The trigger always sucks", and ignore the posters who've pointed out that there are numerous bullpup options with triggers that can match or beat AR triggers. "The operations suck", and conveniently ignore everyone mentioning that you need to train enough with ANYTHING, to develop the muscle memory to use it instinctively.

Folks who have a lot of time on ARs, and absolutely refuse to retrain for any other platform, always bring up the, "but it's different", as a negative. "Hate SCARs. Reciprocating charging handle is stupid". "See? They made a non-reciprocating charging handle. Still don't like them".

Eh, whatever.

P.S.
The one thing I found amusing about the video, is that the shooter's rated their own skills ~8.2 out of 10 with ARs... with ~10 second mag changes. To me, that would be indicative of newbies, not experienced shooters.

I've taken newbies to the range before. With no experience with any semi-auto platform, they had no problems learning the Manual of Arms for the Tavor. By the end of a single session with basic instruction from me, most of them would've easily beat that 10-second time for mag changes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"The trigger always sucks", and ignore the posters who've pointed out that there are numerous bullpup options with triggers that can match or beat AR triggers.
View Quote

You can always beat a bullpup trigger in the AR, an upgraded bullpup trigger might beat an AR stock but not a comparable upgrade. Getting a better trigger than an AR pretty much requires going to a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't like the name.

"bullpup" ??  it don't even make sense
Eewww, gross name!

the origin of the weapon’s name is likely American and came about by comparing the gun’s design to a bulldog puppy as a “squat, ugly, but aggressive and powerful” dog.

False
It is called a Bullpup because that bitch has kick.  - Grand Master Jay
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I recently watched an X95 vs AR comparison video by a former USN SEAL, and he unfaired trashed the X95 even though it was evident that he didn't know how to run it.

Most notably in his running the X95's charging handle during timed reload drills instead of using the bolt release.

With this kind of ingrained bias its hard for bullpups to get their due.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah make dumb faces, it sucks to use one

Do a fast reload, see what happens.  You get caught up in the shit on your chest.

Do a transition to your offhand... Oh wait you need tools and shit to change which side shit flys out of.

Make a long shot! Your trigger is so bad, good luck.

What are we making all these compromises for? 200fps? Cool points? Wanting to be like the Aussies and Izzy's?

I see how they make sense from a civilian perspective, as form 1s are a pain, but they are just stupid with regards to police and military.. use a 10-14" AR suited to the task at hand and be done with it, and you can make an AR suited to anything, unlike a bullpup.

Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
whatever floats your boat and you train with more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can always beat a bullpup trigger in the AR, an upgraded bullpup trigger might beat an AR stock but not a comparable upgrade. Getting a better trigger than an AR pretty much requires going to a bolt action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The trigger always sucks", and ignore the posters who've pointed out that there are numerous bullpup options with triggers that can match or beat AR triggers.

I'd be hard pressed to find a need for a better trigger than the Tavor with the Super Sabra and Lightning Bow.

While it's not 100% like an SSA-E on an AR, it's pretty darned close, and better than an SSA (and a lot of folks have commented that they thought the SSA-E in my Colt CRP-18 competition gun, is lighter than they would prefer for anything other than competition). The most common comment from longtime AR owners was, "I had no idea bullpup triggers were/could be this good".

Similarly, the adjustable trigger on the HTi is as good or better than the triggers on the majority of other bolt guns, except a small percentage.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
No, worse trigger, proprietary parts, worse reloading, less adaptable. The only pro I see Is length/ballistics in the same size package.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top