User Panel

Page / 496
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#3]
I’m listening to the latest episode of the Aeon Byte podcast with this guy named Jason Reza Jordani who has always come across as a guy with a hyperactive mind with a severe shortage of wisdom and practical knowledge.

Listening to these guys speculate as to why we haven’t gone back to the moon in decades is hilarious. Reference is made to rockets ‘magically breaking down.’

“There’s another hydrogen leak. Damn pixies!”

Oh and according to them the Chinese communists are in cahoots with the evil entities that rule the moon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I’m listening to the latest episode of the Aeon Byte podcast with this guy named Jason Reza Jordani who has always come across as a guy with a hyperactive mind with a severe shortage of wisdom and practical knowledge.

Listening to these guys speculate as to why we haven’t gone back to the moon in decades is hilarious. Reference is made to rockets ‘magically breaking down.’

“There’s another hydrogen leak. Damn pixies!”

Oh and according to them the Chinese communists are in cahoots with the evil entities that rule the moon.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

There reaches a point where some narratives are so utterly divorced from reality that wether you see thirty seconds of it, or three hours of it...

It’s just not going to make any sense.

So I suppose ones best option is just to laugh at what you’re seeing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvLXhKX0AEj5cK?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
Is that a Really Right Stuff camera mount?  If so it really took a beating.  RRS makes some good tripod accessories for long range shooting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mort:
Is that a Really Right Stuff camera mount?  If so it really took a beating.  RRS makes some good tripod accessories for long range shooting.
View Quote

Looks like a NEEWER or similar China brand
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:56:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#12]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw_vy1XaIAA8-qZ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw_v0YpaYAAOa7f?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw_v2KvaIAAjGMW?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw_v4PfaQAEp0io?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

So undersized and blown open from rocketry forces with the cameras wherever, or undersized to someone with a crowbar and cameras stolen, on SpaceX property?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

So undersized and blown open from rocketry forces with the cameras wherever, or undersized to someone with a crowbar and cameras stolen, on SpaceX property?
View Quote

Based on the latches you can see in the first and second pictures, I'd say rocketry forces.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
lol

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe they could slip me a million to pay off some bills?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
View Quote
I know right.
We need to start a business to bid on cost plus contracts.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By scul:

Based on the latches you can see in the first and second pictures, I'd say rocketry forces.
View Quote

Copy, thankfully.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#19]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxBUNCIWwAIFXFK?format=jpg&name=orig
View Quote
Interesting.
I think it has to be related either to HLS, depot, or expendable variants because the cutouts continue around where the heat shield would be.
Bring on the crow
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
View Quote

Being impatient.

I’m just like, bros, it’s fucking good enough.

Let’s get us some starship to orbit.

Let’s get those raptors reliable. Sure 350bar is cool, but shit 270 is good enough,

LFG.

A single reusable starship that can launch 100 Tons to orbit a few times a month is more than enough.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxBUNCIWwAIFXFK?format=jpg&name=orig
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I know right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I know right.

Maybe call it blue origin or something
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

Being impatient.

I’m just like, bros, it’s fucking good enough.

Let’s get us some starship to orbit.

Let’s get those raptors reliable. Sure 350bar is cool, but shit 270 is good enough,

LFG.

A single reusable starship that can launch 100 Tons to orbit a few times a month is more than enough.
View Quote

I know you’re in a hurry, you aren’t the only one. But when Starship becomes operational it will bring about changes that will simply invalidate much of what most people thought the future would be. Heck just what’s happening with Falcon and Falcon Heavy is beyond what many can wrap their minds around.

Someone once said that threads about the Shuttle turn into hate fests. Personally I think this is because the Shuttle could never possibly deliver on its promises. Falcon 9 and Heavy have delivered and in less than a decade we will have capabilities far beyond that.

The rising ape...
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Original Blue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Boe Origin
Does the plus in "cost plus" cover lawsuits against competitors? Asking for a friend.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#27]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:

View All Quotes
I know right.

You can use any of the Gag names I've been using for BO in this thread.
Burt Orange
Brown Orifice
Blue Organ (my favorite because of the penis shaped rocket)
Blown Onion
Bad Origin
Baked Oregano
Body Odor
Black Oppression
Billable Obstructionists
Bad Outcomes
Bacon Oiler
Bowel Offer
Bleak Office
Blatant Opportunists
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Burt Orange
Brown Orifice
Blown Onion
Bad Origin
Baked Oregano
Body Odor
Black Oppression
Billable Obstructionists
Bad Outcomes
Bacon Oiler
Bowel Offer
Bleak Office
Blatant Opportunists
View All Quotes
I know right.

Burt Orange
Brown Orifice
Blown Onion
Bad Origin
Baked Oregano
Body Odor
Black Oppression
Billable Obstructionists
Bad Outcomes
Bacon Oiler
Bowel Offer
Bleak Office
Blatant Opportunists

Blew Origin: "Because our rockets need lots of lip service"
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
video
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#30]
Beat badly.
No idea why it didn't show up when I refreshed. Caching issue?

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Look at the interior windows in the control room about 1/3rd of the way through the video
View All Quotes
video

Look at the interior windows in the control room about 1/3rd of the way through the video

DAMN! Can I get some fries with that shake?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
video

that place is about 6 miles from the pad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
View Quote

2 months Elon time, so 4 months to the next flight?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#36]
Anyone know for sure if Ship 25 has hydraulic or electric TVC? I think that, as Ship 24's sister ship, it is hydraulic but I'm not positive.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know for sure if Ship 25 has hydraulic or electric TVC? I think that, as Ship 24's sister ship, it is hydraulic but I'm not positive.

View Quote

If I'm not mistaken 24/ booster 7 was the last with hydraulic controls
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I think they’ve been saying 24 was super old school hydraulic TVC which they are happy to get past.

It’s 100% outdated. I don’t think they fly a hydraulic again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#39]
youtube version

Starship | First Integrated Flight Test
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:33:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#40]
The backup pair for B7/S24 was Booster 8/Ship 25. We know B8 had hydraulic tvc because they pulled the hpu off of it for B7. I don't think the electric tvc is used until the next generation B9/S26. But I'm not positive on the Ship so I'll look around and see if I can find anything definitive.

ETA: Best I could find

Referring to this tweet from a few months earlier.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 2:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4q2] [#41]
Deleted because I’m a dumbass and misread Elon’s tweet
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]
SpaceX Continues Rebuilding Starbase at Breakneck Speeds - Starbase Weekly Update #64
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#43]
can someone help me?

so many groups seem to think that "fully and rapidly reusable" starship is just around the corner and there is no reason Tim Dodd wont be zooming around the moon in two years then landing at LC39a at KSP for a cost to MZ of like 20m dollars. I cant believe any "fully and rapidly" is anything but a MINIMUM of 10 years away, probably 15.

Launching is to in depth. FAA is far to stingy to allow "rapid launches" for a long time. Mexico and the US will need extreme reliability guaranteed before starship is allowed to re enter and fly over land. just landing second stages at BC or FL is a lot of launches away.

a single "both stages attempting to land" launch will probably cost <100m+ for a customer. we wont see anything close to single digit millions cost of launches for a while or damn near ever.

look how long its taken to get just a F9 booster to like a month turn around. and understand orbital re-entry is far far far more intense and will likely require an order of magnitude more refurb investment.

getting 150T to orbit for 200m 12x a year is a GAME CHANGING capability. it would change the future of humanity.

we are compressing every possible stretch goal of starship down to 3 years from now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The backup pair for B7/S24 was Booster 8/Ship 25. We know B8 had hydraulic tvc because they pulled the hpu off of it for B7. I don't think the electric tvc is used until the next generation B9/S26. But I'm not positive on the Ship so I'll look around and see if I can find anything definitive.

ETA: Best I could find

Referring to this tweet from a few months earlier.

View Quote
My guess is after seeing that entire stack spinning and falling, they won't bother to launch any more HPUs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
My guess is after seeing that entire stack spinning and falling, they won't bother to launch any more HPUs.
View Quote

The SpaceX recap video said next up S25 and B9.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Elon confirms New Starfactory Expansion - Starbase Flyover Update EP 3 (Narrated)
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#47]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:
can someone help me?

so many groups seem to think that "fully and rapidly reusable" starship is just around the corner and there is no reason Tim Dodd wont be zooming around the moon in two years then landing at LC39a at KSP for a cost to MZ of like 20m dollars. I cant believe any "fully and rapidly" is anything but a MINIMUM of 10 years away, probably 15.

Launching is to in depth. FAA is far to stingy to allow "rapid launches" for a long time. Mexico and the US will need extreme reliability guaranteed before starship is allowed to re enter and fly over land. just landing second stages at BC or FL is a lot of launches away.

a single "both stages attempting to land" launch will probably cost <100m+ for a customer. we wont see anything close to single digit millions cost of launches for a while or damn near ever.

look how long its taken to get just a F9 booster to like a month turn around. and understand orbital re-entry is far far far more intense and will likely require an order of magnitude more refurb investment.

getting 150T to orbit for 200m 12x a year is a GAME CHANGING capability. it would change the future of humanity.

we are compressing every possible stretch goal of starship down to 3 years from now.
View Quote

Yeah, there's a lot of breathless fanboyism that thinks SpaceX is going to be delivering full-capability Starship/Superheavy mission as soon as the first Starship lands back at Starbase.  Obviously, that's not going to happen (for a variety of reasons).

However.....

There is a lot to be excited about.  

As has been noted, even non-reusable (read: "Errr....the reentry/landing bit is a bit harder than anticipated....") or only partially reusable (read: Superheavy lives to fly another day, but Starship still isn't sticking the landing).....is still instantly a game-changer.  100-150+ tons to LEO, for ~$100 Million (not counting payload).....is unreal.  So Starship/Superheavy will, as soon as they manage to get Starship into LEO in one piece, begin changing what we are capable of.  That's cool.

Fully-reusable, semi-quick turnaround (not "daily flights of the same equipment set").....changes things even more.  Possibly to the point where NASA might run out of payloads to offer for bid (or be encouraged to begin re-engineering payloads to be less costly/more capable, due to the more forgiving mass margins/$).

I suspect that the Cape will see Starship launches almost immediately after the first one or two Starships reach LEO successfully (whether or not they reenter/land successfully).  So that'll be a significant uptick in launch tempo.

Manned Starship is still a ways down the road (well, NASA-manned Starship....who knows what SpaceX's internal risk acceptance is).....but probably not as far as some assume (STS-1 was basically man-rated by fiat, and the first live STS launch was also the first manned launch....so the "100 successful unmanned missions before it can be man-rated" is patently ridiculous).  Axiom or Polaris (or someone new) will likely step in on that, if NASA proves gunshy.

Dear Moon....IDK.  There's a lot of non-rocket development needed for that (just the Life Support System alone....a dozen or so people, for a week, in a fairly large volume?).  I don't see it happening before 2027 (WAG/ballpark). Certainly, SpaceX is going to be prioritizing anything Artemis-related over Dear Moon.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#48]
So we plan on stopping by starbase for some photos tomorrow. Anyone know if there are any road closures? Tips about where you can and can’t go? Any other tips? Requests for certain pics?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:
So we plan on stopping by starbase for some photos tomorrow. Anyone know if there are any road closures? Tips about where you can and can’t go? Any other tips? Requests for certain pics?
View Quote

I'm curious about the new Masseys gun range.  Supposedly moved not too far from the original property (that SpaceX bought)
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

I'm curious about the new Masseys gun range.  Supposedly moved not too far from the original property (that SpaceX bought)
View Quote

If we have time I will try to swing by
Page / 496
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top