Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 496
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustyboy:
Starlink 87 had me freaked out. Night fishing Monday night, outside ATL. I am a pretty big space nerd, so I've seen starlink clusters before, but they were extremely close on Monday, like one solid beam of bright light that faded as it passed. It was so soon after launch that all my apps didn't show them yet. So they were a UFO to me for about two hours, until I figured it out.

My wife still hasn't stopped giving me a hard time, because I was a tad freaked out.
View Quote

You mean Starlink 5-11?  Check this site or if you can use element sets this site.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#3]

SpaceX Starbase 6/14/23 4K Megabay 2 Section Move Starship 25 and 28 Boca Chica Texas Day 323
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That might be a fun job. I wonder what the pay is like.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Imagine being the lucky kid that get's a quarter for checking the pressure in all those tires.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

View Quote

ELON PLANNED IT THE ENTIRE TIME

honestly it wouldn't surprise me lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Just for lulz, I sent it to a guy I work with who was an LCAC pilot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
thread with a bunch of renders

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Needs more "Nose Bell."
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzP77OuXgBE3PKL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Wow
Ladder looks tiny
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:43:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#17]
Elon said there are an immense number of changes for the next flight. Maybe 6 weeks away.

Also dropped a bombshell that they're moving to hot staging.  
That's likely what that mystery ring section was.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1672607239608172544

Elon got pissed ended the interview and deleted his tweet.
The space is still here  https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1OyJAVEdkMaxb
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Elon says there's a much higher chance of getting to orbit with the second test flight due to vast amount of mods.

Late breaking change to staging - now hot staging(!).

"Never stop thrusting" - Elon Musk 😅

Ship engines will fire up before all the Booster engines shutdown. Now need vents for hot staging. Adding an extension to the booster that is all vent and more shielding to the top of the booster. It's the most risking thing for the next flight.

Launch pad upgrades and Booster/Ship ready in six weeks.

1000 cubic meters of steel reinforcement below the OLM. Then a steel sandwich water suppression system on top, with overkill to help the base of the pad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#19]
Not sure I'm a fan of this new hot staging idea. It seems like another unnecessary complexity. Let the N1 go. They need to focus on getting to orbit and HLS.

Good luck keeping the tiles on it when they fire up those engines.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Elon says there's a much higher chance of getting to orbit with the second test flight due to vast amount of mods.

Ship engines will fire up before all the Booster engines shutdown. Now need vents for hot staging. Adding an extension to the booster that is all vent and more shielding to the top of the booster. It's the most risking thing for the next flight.

1000 cubic meters of steel reinforcement below the OLM. Then a steel sandwich water suppression system on top, with overkill to help the base of the pad.
View Quote

Explain hot staging
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Explain hot staging
View Quote

Sounds like igniting the second stage engines before the main engines shut down.   I am wondering if that means before stage separation which seems like a way to blow up things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#24]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Sounds like igniting the second stage engines before the main engines shut down.   I am wondering if that means before stage separation which seems like a way to blow up things.
View All Quotes

Explain hot staging

Apparently, the Russians have been hot staging rockets for decades without any problems - and if they can do it....
EDIT - of course beat by Chokey...
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Explain hot staging
View All Quotes

Explain hot staging

Start the next stage engines, while the two stages are connected. Once the next stage is throttled up(in this case Starship) then release the clamps holding Starship and Super Heavy together.

Technically challenging, but if done correctly, you dont have to deal with fuel slosh or the decel on the structure from the Super Heavy engine cut and accel on Starship engine start.

Kinda nuts on something that big.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Explain hot staging

Eh, it'll be fine if you release the next stage quick enough.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Explain hot staging

It would. IIRC, the last US rockets to "hot stage" were the Titans (and variants), which gave us some incredible images like these (see below). Of course, Titan did not have a reusable 1st stage, so, it will be interesting to see how SpaceX handles the challenge for Starship.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Gemini was hot staged.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#31]
an extension to the booster that is all vent
View Quote

I want hear how they'll engineer this with enough structural integrity to bear the weight of Starship during launch.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 9:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#32]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I don’t think they are going to go full fire in the hole staging.  They just want to limit the deceleration of the booster before staging to get a cleaner sep.  There will not be positive thrust on the booster in that the t/w ratio will be negative.  

There will be space between them before the 2nd ignites.
View Quote

You're going to have to break down how that happens if booster is still producing thrust from at least two engines,  even throttled down, and the majority of the aero drag is acting on ship.  
How do they create the separation between stages before starship fires it's raptors?
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzeSZL9XoAAXD9Z?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzeSmG0WwAA3LNB?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FzeSnXDXsAADYJB?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I scrolled through this post quickly, and very briefly thought we were looking at a 4 stage rocket.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#39]
It's amazing how fast they're progressing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:51:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#40]
The pour has begun!

40-50 trucks have poured as of 2am

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

That's a lot of mud
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Hot staging also helps enable a pad abort.
View Quote

I'd like to hear more about that, please.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Hot staging also helps enable a pad abort.
View Quote

Now, I am not a engineer, or even the holder of a STEM degree, but I doubt that Starship would be capable of a pad abort using only raptors.  Even with hot staging, I don't think lighting three to six raptors  and burning 100%+ over a methalox bomb until clear would be a great idea.  From the Super Draco tests it appears that the capsule gets the fuck outta town in a hurry.  I can't see 3 raptors, 6 if county the vacs, performing like that from zero-zero.

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redoubt] [#47]
Originally Posted By ScaryBlackGuns:

Now, I am not a engineer, or even the holder of a STEM degree, but I doubt that Starship would be capable of a pad abort using only raptors.  Even with hot staging, I don't think lighting three to six raptors  and burning 100%+ over a methalox bomb until clear would be a great idea.  From the Super Draco tests it appears that the capsule gets the fuck outta town in a hurry.  I can't see 3 raptors, 6 if county the vacs, performing like that from zero-zero.

View Quote
Additionally, how would the ship land? Starship doesn't have landing gear anymore. You'd have to burn it empty or you're landing a methalox bomb without landing legs. And I don't think you could burn it empty, because you need a margin for propulsive landing.

ETA: Before you say water landing, lets assume the smart guys at SpaceX figure out how to get zero/zero at the surface of the water with empty tanks. Now your meat sacks are at the top of a 15 story building that is going to want to assume a horizontal stability profile. So it's going to tip over and the hapless guys at the top of the rocket are going to take a 15 story fall in a direction that probably doesn't align with the optimum force vector for their seats to protect them. Escape a pad explosion (maybe) and then go for a high-g wild ride, and finally get ripped apart by the seatbelts when your rocket falls over in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By redoubt:
Additionally, how would the ship land? Starship doesn't have landing gear anymore. You'd have to burn it empty or you're landing a methalox bomb without landing legs. And I don't think you could burn it empty, because you need a margin for propulsive landing.
View Quote

Are you sure about the landing gear on Starship?  It does not make sense that it no longer has them.

The booster (Super Heavy) is caught with the launch tower chopsticks and the grid fins.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Are you sure about the landing gear on Starship?  It does not make sense that it no longer has them.

The booster (Super Heavy) is caught with the launch tower chopsticks and the grid fins.
View Quote
Yes. Starship is meant to be caught on the tower, too. Lunar Starship and probably the first Mars ships will have landing legs. But the LEO one's won't.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By redoubt:
Yes. Starship is meant to be caught on the tower, too. Lunar Starship and probably the first Mars ships will have landing legs. But the LEO one's won't.
View Quote

You may be right but that sounds like another SpaceX fuckup in the making.  

Page / 496
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top