Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 167
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
i really liked the universe building, showing life in the capital world, the garrison planet etc. all new planets and small details make the series more enjoyable. makes you want to know more.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkMustang:
I'm really enjoying it. I like the slow pace, the character development, and the world-building. Think about all the plot holes in Eps 7-9 and how NOTHING made sense, but make it go fast for the sake of action (exhibit a: Poe Damron: "They can fly now?!")

I absolutely loved how Luthen Rael put himself into character with the hot towel, wig and the opulent clothing and jewelry. And then ran through the mannerisms. Amazing acting that we really don't see in SW.

The set design is great - the ISB building being super clean and white (matching their uniforms), which is directly in opposition the the typical Imperial gray/black color scheme we're used to seeing. The interaction of the head guy in charge and how he manages his people - familiar, yet different than we've seen in the past from Imperial leadership (it's the same reason I love Grand Admiral Thrawn, even though the two characters are pretty different than each other.

I thought it was neat that Coruscant was very gray and oppressive - which felt different that how we saw it in the prequels and Clone Wars. The mood fits the time period.

There's a lot about this show I love. I hope we get more of this in Star Wars.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

Did I see some Mandalorian armor on display in the antique shop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
We’re finally getting some Easter eggs if you’re a diehard.

Planets, species, where the kyber crystal came from, the World Between Worlds reference, and the Starkiller armor.

Did I see some Mandalorian armor on display in the antique shop?

Plo Koons face mask was in the shop, or a member of his race.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read very little of this thread.

My daughter is huge into old SW and the new mini shows, and we finally got some time to watch this.

She forced herself to get thru episode 1. I agree that this episode is very slow and seemingly pointless. It's difficult to figure the what/why of what happened in relation to anything else SW related.

Without any reason to continue, I would stop there as well and just say it sucked.
Should I try to continue. Does it get better?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:

My daughter is huge into old SW and the new mini shows, and we finally got some time to watch this.

She forced herself to get thru episode 1. I agree that this episode is very slow and seemingly pointless. It's difficult to figure the what/why of what happened in relation to anything else SW related.

Without any reason to continue, I would stop there as well and just say it sucked.
View Quote
the fist 3 episodes are one story arch. although if you don't like the slower, less flashy pace, I don't know if this show is for you
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
the fist 3 episodes are one story arch. although if you don't like the slower, less flashy pace, I don't know if this show is for you
View Quote

Don't mind it so much for the slow factor, but it just doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

As cheap as life is in this universe, the fact he killed 2 people really has him on the run??

That and I just don't know who he is or why he is important in the overall SW story.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Well the general consensus is that so far the show is both very good, and, unlike any other Star Wars offerings to date. If you or your daughter like Star Wars, you’ll probably like Andor. But maybe you won’t. If you think the first episode of a new show that is introducing all new characters (save one) is pointless, maybe it’s not for you. If it didn’t hold your interest, don’t watch it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
for me, its like the christian bale batmans were darker than previous batmans.

andor and rogue one are more "realistic" vs the more "sci fi" jedi sw movies.

its the nit and grit of the rebellion, the working man, the non powered soldiers/ spys / politics
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Don't mind it so much for the slow factor, but it just doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

As cheap as life is in this universe, the fact he killed 2 people really has him on the run??

That and I just don't know who he is or why he is important in the overall SW story.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Have you ever seen Rogue One?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fike:

View Quote

Yes, but it has been a while and I don't remember this character at all
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

You should watch it again for story context.

R1 is right there with ESB as top SW story telling.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fike:

He was the male lead

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy carp!

Maybe I better rewatch R1.

I obviously have a very foggy memory of the story line.

I am quite sure this show will make more sense then.

Thanks for the help(kick in the butt) in figuring out which plot line this belonged to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#14]
That's equivalent to watching the first 30 minutes of Star Wars and saying you can't see how this whiny moisture farm kid is important to the story.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Really great they are taking time to tell a story here.   No gratuitous cameos, campy dialogue or contrived plot devices so far.   Both fresh and grungy at the same time in the used Star Wars universe.

Wish Fett was done in the same serious tone as this show.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#17]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Girl power has been injected into SW and it went woke?

Princess Leia anyone?  LOL  She was a scrappy little bitch from scene one and very much in charge of things at many times throughout Ep 4.
View All Quotes

Girl power has been injected into SW and it went woke?

Princess Leia anyone?  LOL  She was a scrappy little bitch from scene one and very much in charge of things at many times throughout Ep 4.

Princess Leia got stuffed into a bikini and made a space gangster's bitch

Originally Posted By movingalong:

That plus her reports weren't in, while the other guy's was.  Mostly it is because she is still new to the job, not because she is a woman.

She's more of a go-getter than the other Lieutenant (Captain?), but that's probably because she's still new.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
That choke slam got her attention. Id like to choke her a little bit also...
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

View Quote

She choked the giant slug with her chains, while dressed in that metal lingerie.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]

She choked the giant slug with her chains, while dressed in that metal lingerie.  
View All Quotes

Who hasn’t?!
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AR-1904:

Who hasn’t?!
View All Quotes

Who hasn’t?!

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Another well done episode. All set up, no action. I’m sure that will draw some complaints, but not from me. The acting is top notch. Hopefully the next episode will be the payoff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#23]
So far these are happening in 3-episode arcs, assuming the next episode is the ‘raid’/payoff.

It’s definitely a little slower and more deliberate than typical Star Wars fare, but if the alternative is brainless action then I’ll take this.

Episode 5 is relatively slow, but it’s good. Hopefully the next one picks up pretty well, or I’m afraid they’ll lose some viewers (undeservedly, but still)
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:22:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#24]
I’ve been a fan of the slow pace, but I really want some action at this point. Surely the next episode will have it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I love the slow pace. We have only seen the “and Bob’s your uncle” rebellion.

This is the antithesis of the Emperor snaps his fingers and a thousand star destroyers appear out of the fog.

Who are the people in the rebellion? How was it funded in secrecy?

Right now it’s on the knife edge of failure, but it is about to gain resources and momentum.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Lots of neat Easter eggs are in the antique shop. Spotted a Sith and a Jedi holocron on the top shelf.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
Lots of neat Easter eggs are in the antique shop. Spotted a Sith and a Jedi holocron on the top shelf.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Watched it again with my son tonight. He said ‘the guys mom sounds like [our old bitchy Jewish neighbor]” haha
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Watched it again with my son tonight. He said ‘the guys mom sounds like [our old bitchy Jewish neighbor]” haha
View Quote

I thought the exact same thing. I felt like she would've been Mel Brooks' mom.

I really enjoyed Episode 5 and it really builds up the anticipation for Episode 6. It got me stoked for the next episode.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#31]
really good episode. i like the tension of mistrust on this one, kinda reminding me of reservoir dogs, where no one trusted anyone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Lol, wife said same thing. Im curious to see who this "uncle" turns out to be...
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:
really good episode. i like the tension of mistrust on this one, kinda reminding me of reservoir dogs, where no one trusted anyone.
View Quote

That’s a great analogy
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm still liking the slow build, no one is happy in this episode, the rebels are full of mistrust, Mon Mothma and her family hate each other, the disgraced corporation officer is miserable with his overbearing mother. It all adds to the oppressive feel of how terrible life under the Empire really is.  

The usual analogy is how bad can it be? You get to carry a blaster, have your own ship, go wherever, etc. You know, the Han Solo analogy. But not everyone can be Han Solo. And although he had it better then others, his life was fill of danger.

Yeah, it sucks living under Imperial rule and this show really brings that to the forefront.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I love this show so far. The “people are yearning for freedom” subtext is really hitting home for me.

If it wasn’t for TIE fighters periodically zipping through the last episode you’d never know it was Star Wars. And as a genuine, old-school, dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan I still adore that.

As I’ve said before in other SW threads, there’s a whole galaxy of non-Jedi, non-Skywalker stories to tell in this milieu. This is a fantastic (so far) storyline.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I think my favorite aspect of this series is that it’s not like Mandalorian. Mando would be given a mission and most of the time it’d wrap up by the credits.

Also, the TIE fighters reminded me of the shark in Jaws. Terror struck, they weren’t seen in this light in the movies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mochaTX] [#37]
I like it.

It’s slow pace is a breath of fresh air while world/character building and people make logical choices unlike LOTR Failure show.

The acting is fantastic, you can tell most of the actors are putting in their best to make the characters believable.

It makes you want to watch more.

I wish they diverted all the money that went into boba fett into this and mandalorian. If Ahsoka is like this and mandalorian put together, then it will be good as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
I think my favorite aspect of this series is that it’s not like Mandalorian. Mando would be given a mission and most of the time it’d wrap up by the credits.
View Quote

Completely agree. As good as Mandalorian was overall, it often came across as an RPG full of fetch quests.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By macman37:
I love this show so far. The “people are yearning for freedom” subtext is really hitting home for me.

If it wasn’t for TIE fighters periodically zipping through the last episode you’d never know it was Star Wars. And as a genuine, old-school, dyed-in-the-wool Star Wars fan I still adore that.

As I’ve said before in other SW threads, there’s a whole galaxy of non-Jedi, non-Skywalker stories to tell in this milieu. This is a fantastic (so far) storyline.
View Quote

I was watching it Wednesday evening and my boys asked what I was watching. I told them Star Wars and they said "This doesn't look like Star Wars." Right then the TIE fighter flew across the screen through that valley and they both went "Ohhhh". It was cute and refreshing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
View Quote

Dont forget the Sankara(?) stones from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the shelf next to the holocrons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Really digging the show, but I do have one question. Where are the damn Stormtroopers? You'd think we would have seen at least one by now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:
Really digging the show, but I do have one question. Where are the damn Stormtroopers? You'd think we would have seen at least one by now.
View Quote

Storm troopers are "supposed " to be elite troopers abive that of imperial army or navy troopers. The planet we are on is supposed to be a backwater and not have a need for them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
Storm troopers are "supposed " to be elite troopers abive that of imperial army or navy troopers. The planet we are on is supposed to be a backwater and not have a need for them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:

I’m pretty sure we’ll see Storm troopers once leadership finds out about the heist!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The Empire is still in its infancy at this point and relying on corporate “forces”.

Depending on why you enjoy Star Wars I can see why this series might not be someone’s cup of tea(I’m seriously enjoying it).

Hands down the best acting in any Star Wars” live action movie, series or anything else!
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By macman37:

I’m pretty sure we’ll see Storm troopers once leadership finds out about the heist!
View Quote

This is relevant...
Why is the Empire still using Clone Trooper Formations in 5BBY | ANDOR
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By scully:

The Empire is still in its infancy at this point and relying on corporate “forces”.

Depending on why you enjoy Star Wars I can see why this series might not be someone’s cup of tea(I’m seriously enjoying it).

Hands down the best acting in any Star Wars” live action movie, series or anything else!
View Quote

I am enjoying it very much.
I also want to see stormtroopers represented as an actual threat for once. And somewhat competent. Like they were in rogue one
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mochaTX:
I like it.

It’s slow pace is a breath of fresh air while world/character building and people make logical choices unlike LOTR Failure show.

The acting is fantastic, you can tell most of the actors are putting in their best to make the characters believable.

It makes you want to watch more.

I wish they diverted all the money that went into boba fett into this and mandalorian. If Ahsoka is like this and mandalorian put together, then it will be good as well.
View Quote

Filoni is putting out a whole new series of animated Ahsoka shorts to fill in her backstory later this month.

I'm pretty sure they won't screw Ahsoka up, she's a Filoni IP and I think he's kept KK away from it, actually suspect that's why it's taken so long.

Andor is great, way better than Kenobi.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ICU:

Lol, wife said same thing. Im curious to see who this "uncle" turns out to be...
View Quote

Maybe the uncle works construction, and has a gig lined up building a space station, and that's where sheldon will go find work.

If this series is 5 bby, it could make sense, since the second one was half built between Ep4 and 6.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Who hasn't?!
View All Quotes

Who hasn't?!
Attachment Attached File

Nick
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Click To View Spoiler
Page / 167
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top