Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL what, why? Are you a tech? Was this some weird form of social distancing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least I’ll get some sweet overtime when the grid starts going down.

When COVID came out and lock downs happened. My buddy got sequestered to run the real time desk. The parked a trailer on the lot and told him he couldnt leave. 3 weeks of straight 24/7 pay at OT rates, he remodeled his house with a single pay check

Sweet gig if you can get it.

At the beginning of COVID I got paid ten hours a day to sit at a substation just in case something happened. Nothing ever happened the entire month I did that.

LOL what, why? Are you a tech? Was this some weird form of social distancing?

I’m a substation electrician. So yeah it was just in case something broke down or whatnot.

It was a social distancing thing. We weren’t supposed to work around other guys blah blah blah. Well that lasted a month until they realized a whole bunch of work that needed done wasn’t getting done.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m a substation electrician. So yeah it was just in case something broke down or whatnot.

It was a social distancing thing. We weren’t supposed to work around other guys blah blah blah. Well that lasted a month until they realized a whole bunch of work that needed done wasn’t getting done.
View Quote

Makes sense, but also dumb. We did that in some areas and realized even if an entire crew got sick, giving them 3 weeks off was still faster then trying to play one person at a time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

my rav4 Cost $33,000  An EV is $60,000 I think right now

I can buy a lot of gas with $27,000

About 230,000 miles
View Quote
That's the thing.

Even a base Tacoma SR 4x4 is $36-40k.

That Tacoma will run 200-300k miles, then a $5-6k engine swap and get another 200plus thousand miles.

For around $60k you can drive that vehicle half a million miles.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the thing.

That Tacoma will run 200-300k miles, then a $5-6k engine swap and get another 200plus thousand miles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 230,000 miles
That's the thing.

Still not an apple to apple comparison….plus a lot of people have no desire to drive a vehicle 200-500k miles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sarcasm?
View Quote

That location
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Biden ordered the defense department to start researching convert to electric
View Quote

I have an idea.
@WhiskersTheCat

So. We have drones to do precision strikes.
All we need is more modern warfare gurus to sign up for the army mechanized forces.

We convert all existing armor to be powered by nukes.
We call them the honey badger.
Drone operated. Honey Badger doesn't give a shit, go ahead, send a depleted uranium round at its hull. It doesn't give a shit.
You just salted your back yard for 10,000 years
HAHA FUCKERS

What's that? You found a weak spot and it happened to be by the coolant tank, that a Soviet rpg can destroy. Honey Badger doesn't give a shit. Melt down and salt the back yard for 10,000 years.
HAHA FUCKERS

Drone operated nuke powered tanks.

C130 parachutes them out? Parachute doesn't deploy? Honey Badger doesn't give a shit. Between that and the shaped charge IEDs?
Nagasaki 2.0 from high enriched rods making high speed contact.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have an idea.
@WhiskersTheCat

All we need is more modern warfare gurus to sign up for the army mechanized forces.

Drone operated. Honey Badger doesn't give a shit, go ahead, send a depleted uranium round at its hull. It doesn't give a shit.
HAHA FUCKERS

What's that? You found a weak spot and it happened to be by the coolant tank, that a Soviet rpg can destroy. Honey Badger doesn't give a shit. Melt down and salt the back yard for 10,000 years.
HAHA FUCKERS

C130 parachutes them out? Parachute doesn't deploy? Honey Badger doesn't give a shit. Between that and the shaped charge IEDs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biden ordered the defense department to start researching convert to electric

I have an idea.
@WhiskersTheCat

HAHA FUCKERS

HAHA FUCKERS

Combustion engines excite mankind on a primal and practical level.

Primal because haha loud but practical because these memes of make your own gas go back to the 1800s where people legit did.

Rockefeller was a monopoly because he bought up his competition not because making oil products was magic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Plus, if you do the math, most EV’s don’t save you that much money in energy used.

In KS this month, the average cost per residential kWh is $0.1254.
So that Hummer EV, with a 200 kWh battery, that took 225 kWh’s to charge over how ever many hours, the cost per, assuming a realistic range of 250 miles, looks like this.

225kWh x $0.1254 = $28.22.
28.22/250 = $0.113 per mile.

My car holds 13 gallons.
13YO x average fuel cost of $3.39 = $44.07.
I get between 350 and 390 miles a tank.
So let’s say $44.07/370 miles. $0.119 per mile.

And that’s for more range. My cost to go 250 miles is $29.77. Or, $1.55 more than the EV Hummer.

I understand that smaller batteries cost less to charge, but I have an AWD, and there are higher mpg cars out there.
If I had info on a Camry or Accord, vs. a mid range Tesla, or a Prius vs a Leaf, I’d bet it’s similar.
Factor in differences in cost of acquisition and I’d bet IC beats EV.

My point is, cost per mile to operate savings is not as drastic as the Left would pretend.

Plus, I can put a new engine in an Accord for ~2K.
What’s a new battery pack for a Tesla going for? IF you can get it?

ETA, I’m doing this on the fly, but quick and dirty math shows a Tesla 3 averages 3 cents per mile, while an Accord averages 9 cents per mile at todays KS prices. It was <7 cents per mile under Trump.

But that’s under ideal highway conditions.
What if it’s 14 degrees like it was this morning?
Or you lived somewhere hilly?
Which do you think has the higher range degradation from changes in conditions?

I’m guessing it’s closer to 2-3 cents per mile difference then.
When I had a Prius for work, I was averaging 48-50 mpg. That’s 7 cents per mile under real world conditions. Getting 5.6 cpm on my real world highway trips.

And I can fill up in five minutes, anywhere, for <$35 in todays costs.

Just saying. There’s near parity in cost of ownership.
View Quote

Most EV sedans get about .3 KWH per mile.  That's about $0.03 per mile to drive.

The AAA says unleaded is $3.70/gallon nationwide average.  A Honda Civic gets 36 MPG combined.  A honda civic thus costs $0.10 per mile in gas costs alone to drive.  Plus oil, routine MX (belts, fluids, etc) -- most of which doesn't exist on an EV.  AAA estimates the repair cost works out to $0.0968/mile for a typical car -- the EV needs just about nothing other than tires and wiper blades and is certainly much lower.  Best case the Honda is only a little more than 3x the price to drive for fuel costs alone.  In reality the Honda is probably about 5x the price per mile to drive once including MX.

The Hummer EV goes 1.6 miles per KWH which works out to $0.075 per mile to drive.  An H3 gets about 16 MPG, which works out to $.23/mile to drive in gas costs alone.  Again, the gas car is 3x the price per mile to drive for fuel alone.

Put another way, its cheaper per mile to drive a Hummer EV to work than it is to drive a Honda civic or other shitbox.

AAA did the math as well and they determined that even including the cost of purchase, the only thing cheaper per mile than an EV is a tiny sedan (probably a Honda Fit type car).
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-YourDrivingCosts-FactSheet-7-1.pdf

EVs also seem to take a huge depreciation hit on the used market.  For example even at today's insanely inflated prices, a used 2018 Leaf with <30K miles seems to run about $21K .  On the civic market $21K will get you a 2016-2018 honda with 65-100K miles on it.  I suspect it is original buyers factoring in the value of the tax rebate.

I don't give a shit about saving the planet through my driving habits.  I also don't care about the plight of poors that live in an apartment and don't have a charging plug available, nor do I care about the impact of my air fryer, clothes dryer, EV or any other cool appliance on the electric grid.   I am cheap, I have a predictable commute, and the EV is so inexpensive it justifies itself as an extra car dedicated to commuting and errands around town.  If you have a predictable commute, you're well off enough to have a garage or carport with an electric outlet, and you like saving money so you can buy more ammo or other fun toys, then you too could save money with an EV.

You can dislike EVs but claiming that they are expensive to operate is just not accurate.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Plus, if you do the math, most EV's don't save you that much money in energy used.

So that Hummer EV, with a 200 kWh battery, that took 225 kWh's to charge over how ever many hours, the cost per, assuming a realistic range of 250 miles, looks like this.

My car holds 13 gallons.
So let's say $44.07/370 miles. $0.119 per mile.

And that's for more range. My cost to go 250 miles is $29.77. Or, $1.55 more than the EV Hummer.

I understand that smaller batteries cost less to charge, but I have an AWD, and there are higher mpg cars out there.
If I had info on a Camry or Accord, vs. a mid range Tesla, or a Prius vs a Leaf, I'd bet it's similar.
Factor in differences in cost of acquisition and I'd bet IC beats EV.

My point is, cost per mile to operate savings is not as drastic as the Left would pretend.

What's a new battery pack for a Tesla going for? IF you can get it?

ETA, I'm doing this on the fly, but quick and dirty math shows a Tesla 3 averages 3 cents per mile, while an Accord averages 9 cents per mile at todays KS prices. It was <7 cents per mile under Trump.

But that's under ideal highway conditions.
What if it's 14 degrees like it was this morning?

I'm guessing it's closer to 2-3 cents per mile difference then.
When I had a Prius for work, I was averaging 48-50 mpg. That's 7 cents per mile under real world conditions. Getting 5.6 cpm on my real world highway trips.

Just saying. There's near parity in cost of ownership.
View Quote

Do this figures include the vehicle purchase price as well?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most EV sedans get about .3 KWH per mile.  That's about $0.03 per mile to drive.

The AAA says unleaded is $3.70/gallon nationwide average.  A Honda Civic gets 36 MPG combined.  A honda civic thus costs $0.10 per mile in gas costs alone to drive.  Plus oil, routine MX (belts, fluids, etc) -- most of which doesn't exist on an EV.  AAA estimates the repair cost works out to $0.0968/mile for a typical car -- the EV needs just about nothing other than tires and wiper blades and is certainly much lower.  Best case the Honda is only a little more than 3x the price to drive for fuel costs alone.  In reality the Honda is probably about 5x the price per mile to drive once including MX.

The Hummer EV goes 1.6 miles per KWH which works out to $0.075 per mile to drive.  An H3 gets about 16 MPG, which works out to $.23/mile to drive in gas costs alone.  Again, the gas car is 3x the price per mile to drive for fuel alone.

Put another way, its cheaper per mile to drive a Hummer EV to work than it is to drive a Honda civic or other shitbox.

AAA did the math as well and they determined that even including the cost of purchase, the only thing cheaper per mile than an EV is a tiny sedan (probably a Honda Fit type car).
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-YourDrivingCosts-FactSheet-7-1.pdf

EVs also seem to take a huge depreciation hit on the used market.  For example even at today's insanely inflated prices, a used 2018 Leaf with <30K miles seems to run about $21K .  On the civic market $21K will get you a 2016-2018 honda with 65-100K miles on it.  I suspect it is original buyers factoring in the value of the tax rebate.

I don't give a shit about saving the planet through my driving habits.  I also don't care about the plight of poors that live in an apartment and don't have a charging plug available, nor do I care about the impact of my air fryer, clothes dryer, EV or any other cool appliance on the electric grid.   I am cheap, I have a predictable commute, and the EV is so inexpensive it justifies itself as an extra car dedicated to commuting and errands around town.  If you have a predictable commute, you're well off enough to have a garage or carport with an electric outlet, and you like saving money so you can buy more ammo or other fun toys, then you too could save money with an EV.

You can dislike EVs but claiming that they are expensive to operate is just not accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus, if you do the math, most EV’s don’t save you that much money in energy used.

So that Hummer EV, with a 200 kWh battery, that took 225 kWh’s to charge over how ever many hours, the cost per, assuming a realistic range of 250 miles, looks like this.

My car holds 13 gallons.

And that’s for more range. My cost to go 250 miles is $29.77. Or, $1.55 more than the EV Hummer.

If I had info on a Camry or Accord, vs. a mid range Tesla, or a Prius vs a Leaf, I’d bet it’s similar.

ETA, I’m doing this on the fly, but quick and dirty math shows a Tesla 3 averages 3 cents per mile, while an Accord averages 9 cents per mile at todays KS prices. It was <7 cents per mile under Trump.

When I had a Prius for work, I was averaging 48-50 mpg. That’s 7 cents per mile under real world conditions. Getting 5.6 cpm on my real world highway trips.

You aren't providing methodology for the numbers. Look at what happens when you  put a 2500lb trailer load on the back of a Ford Lightning. The range drops dramatically, much more than an ICE truck with the same load.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
#3 - Batteries are really lousy at storing energy.

#4 - Miracle batteries powerful enough to replace fossil fuels are a fantasy.

#5 - We just don't have enough electricity for all electric cars.
View Quote

#6 - We just don't have enough minerals and other resources required to make enough batteries either.

#7 - Getting at those resources is already causing measurable and consequential harm to the ecologies local to them, and that will only get worse.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

#6 - We just don't have enough minerals and other resources required to make enough batteries either.

#7 - Getting at those resources is already causing measurable and consequential harm to the ecologies local to them, and that will only get worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CA is moving forward with this and is in full support of mining it, along with building pipelines to move it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2022/08/31/californias-lithium-rush-electric-vehicles-salton-sea/?sh=254fdf5b4f63

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

CA is moving forward with this and is in full support of mining it, along with building pipelines to move it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2022/08/31/californias-lithium-rush-electric-vehicles-salton-sea/?sh=254fdf5b4f63
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll destroy the local water table and they will have to bring in ludicrous amounts of nasty chemicals to process it.

.... and there really isn't enough:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
It’s fake

WRESTLING IS FAKE (watch before commenting)
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That will be entertaining.  One thing that California has is plenty of electricity.........
View Quote

They have plenty for the elites. Suck it proles!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They'll destroy the local water table and they will have to bring in ludicrous amounts of nasty chemicals to process it.

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Ok wait, your argument is there isn't enough, then you cite current production capacity, to discredit new mining capacity coming online?

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Two possibilities I see.

This no ICE by 2035 is virtue signaling bullshit and will be pushed back or eliminated as it’s expedient to do so.

Or,

They plan to bring our civilization to its knees.
View Quote

Both
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You could get a Mach E for $47k, or $39,500 after rebate. Slightly larger (I think) and faster, though Im not a fan of calling a CUV a mustang but size wise is a fair comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My car holds 13 gallons.

About 230,000 miles

You could get a Mach E for $47k, or $39,500 after rebate. Slightly larger (I think) and faster, though Im not a fan of calling a CUV a mustang but size wise is a fair comparison.

Ford ended its recall?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Will EVs last ten years like they should?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

#6. Compared to oil & gas mining & refining, lithium mining, refining, (& even recycling) are hold-my-beer levels more highly toxic, polluting endeavors.

#7. There isn't enough lithium on the planet to make enough batteries to adequately supply the car market. Thus, the only "solution" will be mass transit for all (The Club members excluded).

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ok wait, your argument is there isn't enough, then you cite current production capacity, to discredit new mining capacity coming online?

View Quote

I think his point was that we need an astronomical increase in mining capacity to fully convert to EVs. That one feel good project in California will be a drop in the bucket. He's right. There is not enough new production of the elements needed to electrify all transportation. Anyone can look at the current raw production data, and if they have even an inkling as to how difficult it is to start new mining projects(physical and/or regulatory burden), then they'd know EVs will remain a luxury good or very limited in functionality.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#23]
EV,s, the future is here.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

California Air Resources Board is banning new ICE cars in 2035, with a phase out that has already started.

It will be interesting to watch this clusterfuck unfold.
View Quote

Yes.  Yes it will.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you travel past your normal commute in your EV if you arent traveling back to your home?

Kind of hard to justify an EV especially from my POV when there is zero infrastructure when you start traveling out of the metro area

My time from moving to NM to WI would have increased significantly if everything was an EV instead of 3 days it would have likely been 6 days just on charging time
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

My argument is that they are gay.

Checkmate bigot
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You aren't providing methodology for the numbers. Look at what happens when you  put a 2500lb trailer load on the back of a Ford Lightning. The range drops dramatically, much more than an ICE truck with the same load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My car holds 13 gallons.

He was talking about commuter cars and you jumped straight to pulling a trailer....

Yes towing with an EV truck is not a great plan but that has absolutely nothing to do with what he was discussing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
#3 and #4 are irrelevant. #5? That's the whole point of moving to EVs. Do you not see that?

Quoted:
I think his point was that we need an astronomical increase in mining capacity to fully convert to EVs.
If that's his point, then he doesn't get what's going on. "Fully converting to EVs" isn't the goal.
Making EVs "necessary," then "discovering" that everyone having an EV isn't viable, then limiting who gets to own cars, and how far they get to travel, is the goal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Would you travel past your normal commute in your EV if you arent traveling back to your home?

Kind of hard to justify an EV especially from my POV when there is zero infrastructure when you start traveling out of the metro area

My time from moving to NM to WI would have increased significantly if everything was an EV instead of 3 days it would have likely been 6 days just on charging time
View Quote

I travel past my normal commute in my EV all the time with zero issues.

In bold, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.  Look up a map of the current Tesla charging network, I live in the middle of nowhere central IL and have multiple Superchargers within 30 miles of my house. (This isn't counting all the other chargers available, outside of the Tesla network)

As far as charging time goes, again you don't know what your talking about.....it would not double your trip time....it might not even affect it at all if you timed your stops right.  It takes a Supercharger 15-20 minutes to charge my Model 3 from 20% to 80% battery.....which gives me another 290 miles.  I normally time my stops around lunch / supper if possible and by the time we finish eating, the car is charged and ready to go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In bold, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.  Look up a map of the current Tesla charging network, I live in the middle of nowhere central IL and have multiple Superchargers within 30 miles of my house. (This isn't counting all the other chargers available, outside of the Tesla network)

As far as charging time goes, again you don't know what your talking about.....it would not double your trip time....it might not even affect it at all if you timed your stops right.  It takes a Supercharger 15-20 minutes to charge my Model 3 from 20% to 80% battery.....which gives me another 290 miles.  I normally time my stops around lunch / supper if possible and by the time we finish eating, the car is charged and ready to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. Wife and I just got back from a road trip. There is no universe in which charging an EV while road tripping long distances is easier or more convenient than gassing up an ICE vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
-snip-
"Fully converting to EVs" isn't the goal.
Making EVs "necessary," then "discovering" that everyone having an EV isn't viable, then limiting who gets to own cars, and how far they get to travel, is the goal.
View Quote

You're spot on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Meh. Wife and I just got back from a road trip. There is no universe in which charging an EV while road tripping long distances is easier or more convenient than gassing up an ICE vehicle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say it was easier or more convenient....I said the other poster who claimed there was zero infrastructure and would literally double the time of the trip has no idea what he's talking about....which is accurate.

I've only had my Tesla for a few months and longer trips were a legit concern, even though I bought it knowing that 99% of the miles would be on my daily commute.  Longer trips are not easier or harder than ICE, they're just different.  I thought a longer trip would be harder in an EV, but after the first trip, it's not....again it's just different.  Instead of making dedicated stops for gas, you make timed stops for charging and grab some food or a coffee and stretch your legs.  If you're the type of person that likes to drive 500 miles without stopping, an EV isn't for you....personally when we travel for leisure we're not trying to make the fastest time from point A to point B.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Damn...Stossel is looking fit these days and that beard looks fantastic on him!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You're spot on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-snip-
"Fully converting to EVs" isn't the goal.

You're spot on.
Let's be honest, the elites aren't being coy about what they've got in mind.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn...Stossel is looking fit these days and that beard looks fantastic on him!
View Quote

So you like thicc womenz and fit men.....you are quite the riddle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bullshit

EVs are the future and we need to stop using oil.

howdareyou.jpg
View Quote

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Great watch, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ford ended its recall?
View Quote

It's a Ford, so it just goes from one to the other.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think his point was that we need an astronomical increase in mining capacity to fully convert to EVs. That one feel good project in California will be a drop in the bucket. He's right. There is not enough new production of the elements needed to electrify all transportation. Anyone can look at the current raw production data, and if they have even an inkling as to how difficult it is to start new mining projects(physical and/or regulatory burden), then they'd know EVs will remain a luxury good or very limited in functionality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“It’s probably among the 10 biggest lithium deposits in the world,” says Michael McKibben, a geologist at the University of California, Riverside.

That is a drop in the bucket? What would qualify as adequate size to you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My argument is that they are gay.

Checkmate bigot
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Like literally every leftist or Green movement it is utter bullshit.
Climate Change, EVs, Peak Oil, windmills and solar, banning fertilizers, cow farts, it is all utter claptrap.
People that believe in nothing will fall for anything.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Deep sea mining & dredging will probably have to become a thing. Not exactly environmentally friendly either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

All this!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Tell everyone you didn't read without saying you didn't read.

I'd love to know how you could spin "this is the amount of raw minerals we require to do it, and there literally isn't that much available" into "we don't have enough *mining capacity* right now so we can't do it."
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Deep sea mining & dredging will probably have to become a thing. Not exactly environmentally friendly either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

... but it's to save the environment! (as they dredge up coral reefs and kill off untold amounts of sea life).
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'd love to know how you could spin "this is the amount of raw minerals we require to do it, and there literally isn't that much available" into "we don't have enough *mining capacity* right now so we can't do it."
View Quote

So you just don't understand what you are posting. Let me give you a hint, this is from the core source you have been using, which they did update it in 2022:

"World Resources:
Owing to continuing exploration, identified lithium resources have increased substantially
worldwide and total about 89 million tons. Identified lithium resources in the United States—from continental brines,
geothermal brines, hectorite, oilfield brines, pegmatites, and searlesite—are 9.1 million tons. Identified lithium
resources in other countries have been revised to 80 million tons. Identified lithium resources are distributed as
follows: Bolivia, 21 million tons; Argentina, 19 million tons; Chile, 9.8 million tons; Australia, 7.3 million tons; China,
5.1 million tons; Congo (Kinshasa), 3 million tons; Canada, 2.9 million tons; Germany, 2.7 million tons; Mexico,
1.7 million tons; Czechia, 1.3 million tons; Serbia, 1.2 million tons; Russia, 1 million tons; Peru, 880,000 tons; Mali,
700,000 tons; Zimbabwe, 500,000 tons; Brazil, 470,000 tons; Spain, 300,000 tons; Portugal, 270,000 tons; Ghana,
130,000 tons; Austria, 60,000 tons; and Finland, Kazakhstan, and Namibia, 50,000 tons each."

Now that one mine I posted is estimated at 32 million tons, which of course would adjust the currently just revised up number for the US from 9.1 million tons. But maybe you think the oil was going to run out in the 1970 's too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you just don't understand what you are posting. Let me give you a hint, this is from the core source you have been using, which they did update it in 2022:

"World Resources:
Owing to continuing exploration, identified lithium resources have increased substantially
worldwide and total about 89 million tons. Identified lithium resources in the United States—from continental brines,
geothermal brines, hectorite, oilfield brines, pegmatites, and searlesite—are 9.1 million tons. Identified lithium
resources in other countries have been revised to 80 million tons. Identified lithium resources are distributed as
follows: Bolivia, 21 million tons; Argentina, 19 million tons; Chile, 9.8 million tons; Australia, 7.3 million tons; China,
5.1 million tons; Congo (Kinshasa), 3 million tons; Canada, 2.9 million tons; Germany, 2.7 million tons; Mexico,
1.7 million tons; Czechia, 1.3 million tons; Serbia, 1.2 million tons; Russia, 1 million tons; Peru, 880,000 tons; Mali,
700,000 tons; Zimbabwe, 500,000 tons; Brazil, 470,000 tons; Spain, 300,000 tons; Portugal, 270,000 tons; Ghana,
130,000 tons; Austria, 60,000 tons; and Finland, Kazakhstan, and Namibia, 50,000 tons each."

Now that one mine I posted is estimated at 32 million tons, which of course would adjust the currently just revised up number for the US from 9.1 million tons. But maybe you think the oil was going to run out in the 1970 's too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"World Resources:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FggkiueaYAAr7xE?format=jpg&name=small

Ok, so, do you expect us to believe you utterly missed this? Or that you don't know what "known reserves" or "needed" means?

No, wait, I'll save you: just say your adblocker blocks images from twitter.

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:50:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Ok, so, do you expect us to believe you utterly missed this? Or that you don't know what "known reserves" or "needed" means?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't miss that, and I clearly posted data to that specific image that shows it is no longer correct. Big hint, my data is from 2022 and has larger reserves for lithium then your out dated data. But here, have yet another clue as at to what you are missing.

Reserves data are dynamic. They may be reduced as
ore is mined and (or) the feasibility of extraction
diminishes, or more commonly, they may continue to
increase as additional deposits (known or recently
discovered) are developed, or currently exploited
deposits are more thoroughly explored and (or) new
technology or economic variables improve their
economic feasibility. Reserves may be considered a
working inventory of mining companies’ supplies of an
economically extractable mineral commodity. As such,
the magnitude of that inventory is necessarily limited by
many considerations, including cost of drilling, taxes,
price of the mineral commodity being mined, and the
demand for it. Reserves will be developed to the point of
business needs and geologic limitations of economic
ore grade and tonnage. For example, in 1970, identified
and undiscovered world copper resources were
estimated to contain 1.6 billion metric tons of copper,
with reserves of about 280 million tons of copper. Since
then, about 600 million tons of copper have been
produced worldwide, but world copper reserves in 2021
were estimated to be 880 million tons of copper, more
than triple those in 1970, despite the depletion by
mining of much more than the 1970 estimated reserves.

Now think about that, what did I originally post, new mine + new technology. Now what does that do to the reserves you posted about based on older data? But more importantly pay attention to "Reserves data are dynamic" and "Reserves will be developed to the point of
business needs."
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My car holds 13 gallons.

Lightning and Hummer are the worst use and argument for an EV. WV can be great cars. Beyond that I’m not convinced, and I’ve had two teslas.
If you guys want to compare at least make it reasonable, a mid size luxury car to an equivalent EV. Comparing a hummer to a civic is kinda absurd.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top