Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are over 20 main characters in the show?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are over 20 main characters in the show?

Yes.

We must have different definitions of what main characters are or be watching different shows.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We must have different definitions of what main characters are or be watching different shows.
View Quote

A main character is any character who has a major purpose or role in the plot and/or interacts regularly with other main characters. If you know their name, they are most likely a main character.

For example, Lucas is clearly a main character. But so is Erica because she has now had big role in the last 2 seasons.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Will is totally gay for Mike. The one thing this show definitely needed was another teenaged LGBT trapped in the closet side-plot
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A main character is any character who has a major purpose or role in the plot and/or interacts regularly with other main characters. If you know their name, they are most likely a main character.

For example, Lucas is clearly a main character. But so is Erica because she has now had big role in the last 2 seasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn’t have even remembered her from season 3 if you had not mentioned her. She wasn’t consequential to the overall story. Maybe she gets more important in season 4. I won’t know until the entire season is released and I can binge it all at once for the cost of a single month’s subscription or better yet a free trial. Unless they make Will gay, then I’ll just be done with it.

There are really only a dozen recurring main characters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t have even remembered her from season 3 if you had not mentioned her. She wasn’t consequential to the overall story. Maybe she gets more important in season 4. I won’t know until the entire season is released and I can binge it all at once for the cost of a single month’s subscription or better yet a free trial. Unless they make Will gay, then I’ll just be done with it.

There are really only a dozen recurring main characters.
View Quote

I really don’t think they’ll go that route. I think if anything he’ll be ambiguous.

He’s a kid that suffered a lot of trauma and didn’t want to grow up. He’s jealous that his former best friend Mike has hardly anything to do with him anymore. It’s the classic your best friend gets a girlfriend and forgets all about you. And it’s even worse at that age.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Back when I had netflix i watched 3 episodes of the first season. I didn't return to watch anymore.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Unknown Agent Hero Man.

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand some of you guys seeing the woke boogeyman everywhere. This is probably one of the most conservative television shows in a decade.

The government is generally malevolent, and the commies are worse. The characters regularly arm themselves and use their own weapons to solve their problems. Instead of being presented as an example of the failings of toxic masculinity, Hopper is regularly a hero. The key themes of the entire show are the importance of friends and family. The kids are independent and the parents aren't over-protective, coddling busy bodies. They don't even make the fucking lesbian an out, in your face, "we're here and we're queer" militant dyke.

But it's got a lesbian, so it must be woke.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't understand some of you guys seeing the woke boogeyman everywhere. This is probably one of the most conservative television shows in a decade.

The government is generally malevolent, and the commies are worse. The characters regularly arm themselves and use their own weapons to solve their problems. Instead of being presented as an example of the failings of toxic masculinity, Hopper is regularly a hero. The key themes of the entire show are the importance of friends and family. The kids are independent and the parents aren't over-protective, coddling busy bodies. They don't even make the fucking lesbian an out, in your face, "we're here and we're queer" militant dyke.

View Quote

I did like the scene in the upside down where Nancy is talking about getting her guns and after hearing a creepy ass noise, the junkie D&D kid says "yeah... guns sound like a good idea."
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I also don't get all the moping about "wokeness."  I knew gay guys in the early eighties.  One of my best friends came out as a lesbian in 1983 - but she only came out to her close friends.  In my opinion, Season 4 is every bit the equal of Season 1.  And I'm really digging all the little homages to other horror flicks of the 80's, like the presence of you-know-who, and the way Vecna seems to use dreams to control his victims...

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I also don't get all the moping about "wokeness."  I knew gay guys in the early eighties.  One of my best friends came out as a lesbian in 1983 - but she only came out to her close friends.  In my opinion, Season 4 is every bit the equal of Season 1.  And I'm really digging all the little homages to other horror flicks of the 80's, like the presence of you-know-who, and the way Vecna seems to use dreams to control his victims...

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is Nancy’s Mom still hot ?
View Quote

Even hotter.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Back when I had netflix i watched 3 episodes of the first season. I didn't return to watch anymore.
View Quote

Wooly Bully
Wooly Bully
Wooly Bully
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want to be like you when I grow up.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I want to be like you when I grow up.
View Quote

You're probably not cool enough. Most people aren't.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Finished the first batch of episodes last night, I thought it was pretty great. Probably the best season so far.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I noticed that too and remember those days growing up in the 80s. It was awesome!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eh, the character talked about lesbian crushes last season, and is confiding in the closet to her best friend.

I’m glad Steve and Dustin get to team up again.
View Quote

Somehow missed that for season 3 but I binged 3 this time I did a day by day or every other day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

dunno....but that ending made me expecting there was another episode.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Same. Real live lesbians in the wild were unheard of in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkSFijFzw8I
View Quote

Bill Burr ice hockey or umbrella joke covered the 1990s for the same “fag”
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And she's actually played by TWINS
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Will is totally gay for Mike. The one thing this show definitely needed was another teenaged LGBT trapped in the closet side-plot
View Quote

yea, that shit really bugs me how they're implying that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I felt like this was the best season since season 1.

I did not like season 3.

There is some wokeness to the storyline that feels forced.  We already had a gay character in Will, who now seems to have a crush on Mike? At least that’s the vibe I was getting.

I guess that wasn’t enough gay characters for the show runners and we had to introduce the lesbian character last season. She’s a good actress, but I could care less about her storyline.

I do feel like the most annoying character in the show however is the little black sister. She’s like nails on chalkboard to me. She’s always sassy and has that plot armor of always being right / succeeding.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's not bad.

I'm on episode 3.

There is no naked dudes shown, there was a lesbian and a gay kid last season.

Quit bitching it's entertainment and it's half way decent

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup, typical Hollywood. Play on peoples nostalgia, get them interested, set the hook and then start revising history with woke bullshit.
View Quote

To be fair the under 35 age bracket is much more LGBTQ123iKL and since the show is about younger people it’s going to garner younger audiences too. Shows want as much of an audience as possible but I think they assume everyone will be happy until they remove black guys kissing Asian women from Chinese Star Wars posters and delete scenes from films for overseas theaters. Anyway, not the end of the world but the first episodes were slow so that stood out plus I’ve forgotten most of season 3.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I do feel like the most annoying character in the show however is the little black sister. She’s like nails on chalkboard to me. She’s always sassy and has that plot armor of always being right / succeeding.
View Quote

She cracks me up, and she vehemently disagrees with communism as an ideology. Loved her intro this season with her wearing an American flag as a cape
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I finished what there is of the season last night.  I loved the twist.  I'm also looking forward to there being a main bad guy to fight in the last couple of episodes, and also how everything about the Upside Down's creation and what it was pretty much being revealed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Just finished episode 4, only watching because my wife asked if I would watch it with her.

I honestly don't care about any of the characters anymore, no one has really grown or evolved in anyway.

Everyone says it picks up after ep4 but really who cares, no one on this show is likable anymore, they are all insufferable twats.

The main villain is boring, not even slightly creepy and has the most laughable fucking voice, seriously we both crack up every time he talks.  

I will say though I hope he kills them all, even though I know he wont.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#32]
@Proto3 Any word on when they're going to start shooting season 5?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It could easily be that Will has a crush on Eleven but she's with Mike.  He can't share his feelings because it would make shit weird with 2 of his best friends.

It's 2022 though, so he'll probably be gay.
View Quote

I would be surprised if that’s the way they play it.  I cannot think of a single instance where Will seemed to indicate interest in 11.  I’m guessing they’re going to make him gay or asexual.  Seems to have zero interest in opposite sex…and seems to be played a little “fussy” in his dress and attitude.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They better not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh oh.

"If you've been watching the show you should know that Will is not interested in El," David Harbour said. "He's interested in someone else in the group."

"Yeah, you'll see soon," Wolfhard added. "He's interested..."

"He's very interested," Harbour chimed in.

Stranger Things

They better not

I think it’s the way it’s going to go.  And—tbh—they’re doing it in a very ‘80s way.  Will is not “out”, he’s not flamboyant, he’s not on-screen sucking off oiled-up teenagers.  He’s different, and not interested in girls.  Feels pretty ‘80s accurate to me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#35]
What’s all this ‘woke’ complaint crap?
How exactly is it woke?

One girl likes girls, but how is it handled? Is she ‘Out and Proud???’
No way. She’s, ‘if anyone finds out I’m an outcast…’
Exactly like it would have been in the 80’s.

And her friend she confides in? He says,’you like boobies, I like boobies, let’s team up…’
Steve has the right idea. Be like Steve.

Back to the thread topic.
It’s not bad so far. More gruesome/horror movie than earlier seasons. It’s a little formulaic, but it’s teen fiction, so to be expected.
Not bad, kids like it, so no complaints.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He's at least playing a kid who is supposed to be 19 or 20.

The fat one, though... guy looks to be in his 30s.

Black guy looks at least 29 as well.

That's an old looking bunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He does act fruity but I can't take Mike seriously either.

They both need a bunch of cheeseburgers, some sun, and a gym very badly.  They're like the poster children for veganism and gender neutrality.  Dustin is the only kid on the show who acts and looks like a typical nerdy teenage dude.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/e2cdfe7c01523562dc9c489f11af74a4_jpg-2403350.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/n01-arttheme-standard-thumb-big-1000x125-2403351.JPG

There were plenty of scrawny, dorky looking kids that age back then.

This. The traditional way Hollywood avoids this is to use guys much older than the kids they play, unless casting a "nerd" character.

Kinda like the pothead long hair "kid" who's head of the D&D club being played by a 29 year old actor?

Uh…accurate for high-school D&D in the ‘80s.  The groups that played almost always had older players.  

…or so I heard.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think it's the way it's going to go.  Andtbhthey're doing it in a very '80s way.  Will is not "out", he's not flamboyant, he's not on-screen sucking off oiled-up teenagers.  He's different, and not interested in girls.  Feels pretty '80s accurate to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh oh.

"If you've been watching the show you should know that Will is not interested in El," David Harbour said. "He's interested in someone else in the group."

Stranger Things

They better not

I think it's the way it's going to go.  Andtbhthey're doing it in a very '80s way.  Will is not "out", he's not flamboyant, he's not on-screen sucking off oiled-up teenagers.  He's different, and not interested in girls.  Feels pretty '80s accurate to me.

Plot twist: Will has a hard on for Nancy's mom.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did like the scene in the upside down where Nancy is talking about getting her guns and after hearing a creepy ass noise, the junkie D&D kid says "yeah... guns sound like a good idea."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah…but…

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nancy still is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Nancy’s Mom still hot ?

Nancy still is.

Do people really think this?  She looks really weird to me. Like…unhealthy kid with cancer wig or brain controlling worms weird.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do people really think this?  She looks really weird to me. Likeunhealthy kid with cancer wig or brain controlling worms weird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Nancy's Mom still hot ?

Nancy still is.

Do people really think this?  She looks really weird to me. Likeunhealthy kid with cancer wig or brain controlling worms weird.

Yeah, way too skinny.

She's on whatever diet Finn Wolfhard is on.  That kid is unhealthy levels of skinny.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh oh.

Stranger Things

They better not

Also ‘80s accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Can someone tell me were all these woke screens are. I can't stand that crap, Stranger Things isn't anti woke, but I don't see anything that is out of place in 1985.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Uh…accurate for high-school D&D in the ‘80s.  The groups that played almost always had older players.  

…or so I heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They both need a bunch of cheeseburgers, some sun, and a gym very badly.  They're like the poster children for veganism and gender neutrality.  Dustin is the only kid on the show who acts and looks like a typical nerdy teenage dude.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/e2cdfe7c01523562dc9c489f11af74a4_jpg-2403350.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/n01-arttheme-standard-thumb-big-1000x125-2403351.JPG

This. The traditional way Hollywood avoids this is to use guys much older than the kids they play, unless casting a "nerd" character.

Kinda like the pothead long hair "kid" who's head of the D&D club being played by a 29 year old actor?

…or so I heard.

Not to mention the leader mentions "fighting for a D" in a class he has to pass to graduate, for his third attempt. Being a senior for 3 years could easily make him 21 depending on where his birthday falls in the year.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been avoiding this thread until I finished up the first half of the season, I hate spoilers.

I think it has been pretty good overall. It was a little slow at first and I was starting to think maybe they should have ended it after the last season.

But...It did pick up and the last few episodes were really good.

It really doesn't seem that woke to me. Not compared to a lot of crap out there.

I grew up in a small southern town, graduated high school in 79 and even back then in our small town there were a few fairly openly gay folks.

Yep they caught a lot of shit from some people but they were there and part of life even back then.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not to mention the leader mentions "fighting for a D" in a class he has to pass to graduate, for his third attempt. Being a senior for 3 years could easily make him 21 depending on where his birthday falls in the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

…or so I heard.

Hence, "He's at least playing a kid who is supposed to be 19 or 20."

Used to be in most states a 21 year old could not be in high school. Not sure of the current rules.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Whatever is the point of breaking up the season?
I thought the whole point of streaming was bingeing.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@Proto3 Any word on when they're going to start shooting season 5?
View Quote

Current rumor is ~January 2023. But I start a different show with a few of the producers of ST next week so I'll pick their brains.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Whatever is the point of breaking up the season?
I thought the whole point of streaming was bingeing.

View Quote

(Another) Rumor is that all of the visual effects work wasn't complete in time to release all of the episodes together.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#49]
First time I ever watched DnD and was on the edge of my seat for someone to make a crit hit.  LOL

The cool part, my wife has started playing DnD with me since season one aired.  She, too was on the edge of her seat waiting for that D20 to land big.  LOL
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

…or so I heard.
View Quote

Yeah, other than rolling their dice all across the table at the risk of knocking figures outta place.  LOL  

BITCH!  You knocked over my Ral Partha wizard, AND my druid!
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top