Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 205
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The coaching thing is insane now.  Harbaugh is a great coach.  Michigan can't do any better.  Not every team can hire Nick Saban.  In my mind, you could safely put Saban, Meyers, Fisher, Sweeny, and Stoops ahead of Harbaugh.  But except for Saban, who is a genius, most of that is experience.  Harbaugh could easily catch the other four.  Or he could not.  A lot depends on the players.    
View Quote
Yes it is crazy.
Fanbases are more impatient that ever to win and are ready to switch coaches every few years in search of that magic bulllet.
Truth is there just aren't that many top guys to go around and then nothing is a given.
As much as I've voiced a desire to get rid of Sumlin I have reservations of who A&M could hire that would be any better.
I could throw a few names out there but again they could come in and go 8-4 on average too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes it is crazy.
Fanbases are more impatient that ever to win and are ready to switch coaches every few years in search of that magic bulllet.
Truth is there just aren't that many top guys to go around and then nothing is a given.
As much as I've voiced a desire to get rid of Sumlin I have reservations of who A&M could hire that would be any better.
I could throw a few names out there but again they could come in and go 8-4 on average too.
View Quote
Sometimes you just have to let the coach learn from experience.  I remember the Omaha papers calling for Tom Osborne's head for years.  And the Florida teams did have his number for about a decade.  But he learned and we got three more National Championships.  And you definitely have to be realistic.  Nebraska isn't going to steal a coach from Alabama or USC, and neither is A&M.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Honestly, I was just trying to get the discussion going. There's no doubt Harbaugh is a top ten coach.

My top ten:

Top 5

Saban
Meyer
Dabo
Peterson
Stoops

Next 5

Shaw
Jimbo
Richt
Petrino
Harbaugh
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a great coach.
Wish A&M had him.
Name 10 better. 10 PROVEN better. Not just the latest greatest hottest commodity like that row your boat guy.
First 5 names should be relatively easy and then it's going to get progressively harder.
Honestly, I was just trying to get the discussion going. There's no doubt Harbaugh is a top ten coach.

My top ten:

Top 5

Saban
Meyer
Dabo
Peterson
Stoops

Next 5

Shaw
Jimbo
Richt
Petrino
Harbaugh
Dabo over Jimbo? Only coach that's won more games than Fisher over the last 7 years is Saban. I'd put Swinney up there but not above Fisher.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know he's yalls coach now but you better learn more about Richt before you start naming him top 10.  Never has a coach done so little with so much talent.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My top ten:

Top 5

Saban
Meyer
Dabo
Peterson
Stoops

Next 5

Shaw
Jimbo
Richt
Petrino
Harbaugh
I know he's yalls coach now but you better learn more about Richt before you start naming him top 10.  Never has a coach done so little with so much talent.....
I mean these things are subjective. I think his record speaks for itself. Who would you put in the top 10 ahead of Richt?

ETA: I think accumulating all that talent is a factor as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
ON, WISCONSIN!!!!

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dabo over Jimbo? Only coach that's won more games than Fisher over the last 7 years is Saban. I'd put Swinney up there but not above Fisher.
View Quote
Swinney is King of the mountain right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean these things are subjective. I think his record speaks for itself. Who would you put in the top 10 ahead of Richt?

ETA: I think accumulating all that talent is a factor as well.
View Quote
I think there are three axis in determining how talented a coach is.

(1) Recruiting.
(2) Player development.
(3) Utilization.  That is, developing a system of football that fits your talent profile and calling the right plays in game situations.

Richt is great at 1, adequate at 2, but seems to have had problems with 3 over the years.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think there are three axis in determining how talented a coach is.

(1) Recruiting.
(2) Player development.
(3) Utilization.  That is, developing a system of football that fits your talent profile and calling the right plays in game situations.

Richt is great at 1, adequate at 2, but seems to have had problems with 3 over the years.  
View Quote
I think player development is the top factor on your list. Then I would put utilization of said players / game scheme next.
If you achieve those 2 successfully eventually recruiting will become much easier because you are successful.

What about coaches from programs that are at a huge disadvantage due to locale or for financial reasons?

Mike Gundy at Oklahoma St is one. Very underrated coach. Recruits in the shadow of big brother Oklahoma and is not located in a hotbed of high school football talent. Yet year after year the guy puts together solid teams.

Bill Snyder at Kansas. Same. Very underrated coach. He may be the best ever at taking tier 2 talent and developing it to compete at the highest level.

What could these 2 guys do somewhere where they had an endless budget with world class facilities?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
There's an order to the discussions folks...

(someone post the Big Lobowski Meme "am I the only one who cares about the GD rules!?)

Post your predictions for the team this year.

honestly, mine are tempered this year.  I think the ACC title is a possibility but it will be a fight this year.  I don't even want to think about NC playoff prospects.  Just winning our division in the conference will be tough especially with Bama right out of the gates.

2 losses is a very real possibility but I think we keep it to one loss.  All depends on if they don't wait until week 5 to start playing like a team like last year
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the moment. If he stretches that out for about 3-4 more years he'll have a much better case to be in that top 5.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]

HAIL HAIL!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My gut says FSU goes 11-1 this year with a loss among Bama, Louisville or some BS sleeper. Losing Cook will hurt but I think a more experienced Francois and Cam Akers will help negate that. I expect the defense to be very good this year with James back.

I do think it's FSU's turn again in the Atlantic after Clemson lost their best player in school history and I expect FSU to represent the ACC in the playoffs. No idea what happens from there. As a disclaimer this entire prediction could change after week 1 but this is where I stand right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
An early run of success will make me cautiously optimistic.

We will beat a team we shouldn't, the media will hype us as playoff contenders and I will start chugging the Maroon Kool Aide like so:

Then we will lose to a team we shouldn't, the media that hyped us will say "who ever took this team seriously", and I'll just be over here like "you're the only ones who thought they'd do anything, tards"

Players will get in trouble because Sumlin doesn't give an eff about discipline.  

Then A&M will give him another raise and contract extension for another 8-4 year, because reasons.

And I'll continue to enjoy hanging with yall in this thread like I do every year.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep your eye on Josh Allen out of WYO.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
No shot brother!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
My body is ready....Go Blue!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think player development is the top factor on your list. Then I would put utilization of said players / game scheme next.
If you achieve those 2 successfully eventually recruiting will become much easier because you are successful.

What about coaches from programs that are at a huge disadvantage due to locale or for financial reasons?

Mike Gundy at Oklahoma St is one. Very underrated coach. Recruits in the shadow of big brother Oklahoma and is not located in a hotbed of high school football talent. Yet year after year the guy puts together solid teams.

Bill Snyder at Kansas. Same. Very underrated coach. He may be the best ever at taking tier 2 talent and developing it to compete at the highest level.

What could these 2 guys do somewhere where they had an endless budget with world class facilities?
View Quote
I agree.  My list wasn't an attempt to rank them, just list them.  As for underrated guys, that's why I've always been behind Riley at Nebraska.  There was a time when he was the rising star, but he ran into a wall given Oregon State's situation.  But he was putting QB's in the NFL at Oregon State.  I think it's a real interesting thing to see him at a program like Nebraska.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The coaching thing is insane now.  Harbaugh is a great coach.  Michigan can't do any better.  Not every team can hire Nick Saban.  In my mind, you could safely put Saban, Meyers, Fisher, Sweeny, and Stoops ahead of Harbaugh.  But except for Saban, who is a genius, most of that is experience.  Harbaugh could easily catch the other four.  Or he could not.  A lot depends on the players.    
View Quote
I think Harbaugh is a great coach, but I hate that he's pushed the recruiting lines so much that they had to introduce a bunch of new rules this year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's an order to the discussions folks...

(someone post the Big Lobowski Meme "am I the only one who cares about the GD rules!?)

honestly, mine are tempered this year.  I think the ACC title is a possibility but it will be a fight this year.  I don't even want to think about NC playoff prospects.  Just winning our division in the conference will be tough especially with Bama right out of the gates.

2 losses is a very real possibility but I think we keep it to one loss.  All depends on if they don't wait until week 5 to start playing like a team like last year
View Quote
I'm honestly not even going to try. Sure we saw O win some games and utterly shutdown Louisville, but he finally has full control and we'll start to see if he can put the whole package together or not. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I am looking forward to seeing Derrius Guise in full stride and no longer in Fournette's (PBUH) shadow. If he stays healthy, he will have a great season.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Called it
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/2014/11/12/011/n/1922283/7e8018e182dd5402_anyqppLPKFox9.xxxlarge/i/Being-Optimistic.gif

We will beat a team we shouldn't, the media will hype us as playoff contenders and I will start chugging the Maroon Kool Aide like so:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-01-2016/JWyLbh.gif

Then we will lose to a team we shouldn't, the media that hyped us will say "who ever took this team seriously", and I'll just be over here like "you're the only ones who thought they'd do anything, tards"

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Players will get in trouble because Sumlin doesn't give an eff about discipline.  

https://img-comment-fun.9cache.com/media/a3d57bN/a495BE79_700wa_0.gif

Then A&M will give him another raise and contract extension for another 8-4 year, because reasons.

https://m.popkey.co/7afad7/b0gbq.gif

And I'll continue to enjoy hanging with yall in this thread like I do every year.  

https://media.giphy.com/media/68LZZVCw4tJF6/giphy.gif
View Quote
Hasn't that been like the last 3-4 years?  At least two.

I admit, I bought into it.  I saw them play and said, "Oh shit!  Look at this team!  They're gonna tear up the SEC"

Then 'poof'......fizzled into a steaming pile of poop.

Summlin is your problem.  He needs to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Sumlin definitely needs to go. I think Miles is still available.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sumlin definitely needs to go. I think Miles is still available.
View Quote
Les is one cool cat.    He's been hanging out in NC for a bit and talking with HS coaches.   Easy to see why he was a great recruiter.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I was and still am a big fan of his. Poor gametime decisions aside, he was well liked locally.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#30]
It seems like all Les was missing at LSU was a solid QB developer. I'll be interested to see where he ends up landing and I'll be pulling for him.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Gig 'em, Howdy, Hullaballoo!

In on 2017.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It seems like all Les was missing at LSU was a solid QB developer. I'll be interested to see where he ends up landing and I'll be pulling for him.
View Quote
Les ran into the same problem that Bo Pelini and a host of others did.  The old style of ball control offense + monster defense was killed by the new targeting rules.  The only coach to successfully navigate it has been Saban, because Alabama can basically afford to hire a second head coach and make him OC.

I remember the Nebraska games from the 90s.  They were the masters of that style of football.  But you always had to concuss a good QB for it to work.  Now you can't do that anymore.   
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes it is crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is crazy.
Chad Morris seems to be the name on everyone's list. I get it, he's an Ag, he did pretty well as Clemson's OC, but man I just don't know at this point. We have been so snake bit with coaches since RC that I am nervous as all get out about the post-Sumlin era if this season goes as it appears that it will.

In my always sunny Aggie side I am hopeful that a team of young kids, given very little chance to succeed, pulls it together and surprises the heck out of all of us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/2014/11/12/011/n/1922283/7e8018e182dd5402_anyqppLPKFox9.xxxlarge/i/Being-Optimistic.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was and still am a big fan of his. Poor gametime decisions aside, he was well liked locally.
View Quote
I have a lot of respect for Les.  Our games were epic for several years.  

I think you guys could have done a lot better than Orgeron, I just don't see that as a good hire.  I like the guy, and he may end up building a monster there, but LSU can draw an elite coach.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Chad Morris seems to be the name on everyone's list. I get it, he's an Ag, he did pretty well as Clemson's OC, but man I just don't know at this point. We have been so snake bit with coaches since RC that I am nervous as all get out about the post-Sumlin era if this season goes as it appears that it will.

In my always sunny Aggie side I am hopeful that a team of young kids, given very little chance to succeed, pulls it together and surprises the heck out of all of us.
View Quote
Just looking at the schedule 6-6 or 7-5 is very possible.
That's based on typical quality of opponents year in and year out.
I'll have to see more info on opponents returning starters, depth etc before saying that's A&Ms ceiling for wins.
Like you mentioned maybe those youngsters will surprise some folks.

I think if Sumlin doesn't win 8 or 9 games this year though he's gone as his buyout will be manageable.
8 might save his job simply because of the amount of youth on the team. 9 wins and he's gtg.
Another factor will be how well Herman does at Texas. As strange as that might sound to some if Texas goes 8-4 or 9-3 the heat is going to be turned up substantially on Sumlin.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm ready

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
I'm patiently waiting for our resident Gator fans to show up
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Gators will beat Michigan by two touchdowns or more on opening day at Jerry's World. Hairball wont know what hit him, dude is a joke and his team sucks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Gators will beat Michigan by two touchdowns or more on opening day at Jerry's World. Hairball wont know what hit him, dude is a joke and his team sucks.
View Quote
Nice attempted redirect
Now let's discuss the matter at hand
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wasn't the same thing said a couple years ago when they played st the citrus bowl? Michigan will win by 3. Go blue!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Get that man some jorts!!!
View Quote
Florida man strikes again!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wasn't the same thing said a couple years ago when they played st the citrus bowl? Michigan will win by 3. Go blue!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Michigan has 5 TOTAL returning starters. 4 on offense and 1 on defense. That's the least amount of returning starters among all FBS teams.
Good Luck with that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm patiently waiting for our resident Gator fans to show up
View Quote
Apparently UF released a statement saying that the picture is not of McElwain, I think because of animal rights complaints

It's definitely him by the way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm late to the party, but Gig 'Em!

My brother got his MS yesterday
Page / 205
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top