Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the Israeli one years ago. mine was accurate , never had any reliability issues at all and was fun to shoot. Not the best CCW though… If you have the $, go for it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be tempted to grab it up.
View Quote

Yeah, but don’t you own a 82a1? ??

I’d be all over  it if it was pink tiger striped like Andre 3000’s ??
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's like a far chick that only does missionary.    Good enough, for the desperate and uncouth.
View Quote

Wrong.

Owning a Desert Eagle, especially in .50AE is like...

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
.454 casull > .44 magnum
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one, sold it.  They are fun for a little while, but it's a lot of money to be hung up in what amounts to a complicated paperweight that can make big booms from time to time.  

FWIW though, my 44 Mag XIX never had an issue with any off the shelf ammo I ever ran through it, and reloading for it was easy too, just don't go stupid high or stupid low on the power level.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
No.    I will not talk you out of it.
If you have the disposable cash, ain't no reason not to just have some fun in life.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I mean, it's a decent deal.

But desert Eagles will make you suddenly want to learn about and understand the differences between a roll crimp and a taper crimp casing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted one for ten plus years but never bought one. Finally met someone that had a 50. He let me shoot a mag. Was cool but I’m really happy I never bought one
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

May I tempt you with a 45-70 BFR instead?

Maybe a 500SW?

If I'm going ridiculous I want really ridiculous. Like get either the 2" snub 500SW with the bear manual (I think it's an emergency kit) or get the ridiculous like 12"bbl one with a bipod.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have 2 .50AE Deagles already.   Im not opposed to buying a 3rd.

Maybe a 500SW?

If I'm going ridiculous I want really ridiculous. Like get either the 2" snub 500SW with the bear manual (I think it's an emergency kit) or get the ridiculous like 12"bbl one with a bipod.

I got 2 because you can't shoot 2 at the same time with only one.   I brought them to an AL meetup years ago and nobody would shoot both at the same time until I did it and then an Arfcommers 14 year old son asked if he could.   His dad gave him permission and the kid fired them like a champ.  Then multiple adults stopped being pussies and shot them both.

Deagles are a fun gun and totally worth the money.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Wasn't the 50AE built to be a easily portable body armor defeater? Or am I just remembering some nonsense article from somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're:

Unreliable pieces of shit
Heavy
Expensive to shoot
Icinically ugly

You should absolutely get it.
View Quote

WRONG. Mine have run like Swiss watches. No troubles EVER. And they are AWESOME.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely buy it.  It's worth it with the extra barrel and mags.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
If you buy it, you will be TOO awesome.

Does that help?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
What’s the weight on one of those?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Most unpractical handgun ever created. But at the same time it's one of the coolest handguns. Very fun to shoot, even if the ammo is hard to find and expensive. It weights a ton, very large, jams a lot. Terrible safety location for a SAO trigger. I say go for it. It's a different shooting experience if you already have plenty of useful practical handguns in 9mm and 45acp and so forth. I mean 10mm is obviously the most powerful caliber that's still practical in a auto. But if you want something to show off the Desert Eagle is where it's at.
View Quote

Why do you guys say the ammo is hard to find? I bought two new pistols yesterday. A Glock 19X and a S&W M&P 10MM. On the shelf was a shit ton of .50AE ammo. 300 Gr Hornady. Plus lead for reloading. I bought some lead for my .50AE. Tons of ammo on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Wow!
I wonder if I could have mine case hardened..
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The same shop had a .357 version a few meets ago.  Didn't give it a second glance because it was a .357.  Maybe I should have?

I just looked at 50 AE prices.  $2.50 a round.  And reloading stuff is very limited.  I already reload for .44 mag, so that wouldn't be a problem.
View Quote

What's limited? Bullets seem to be out there and Starline is taking backorders on the brass.
Quoted:
They're accurate, very well made, have a nice trigger, and are reliable for 40-50 round sprints before needing thorough cleaning to restore reliability.  If the Desert Eagle you're looking at has the plain black finish, you're getting about a $400 deal in your favor, sort of.  If it's any other finish, maybe a lot more.  The color case hardened finish is the sexiest to behold.  The various chrome versions are so much easier to clean.
  • It'll help if you've got larger hands than most people.
  • Only the .44 RemMag is really worth owning and shooting with any regularity.
  • The Mk. XIX is the version to get but the earlier model is just as capable if you stick with .44 RemMag.  
  • They're sturdier than an Automag.  
  • They're not as graceful as a Wildey.  
  • They'll at least be taken out and used more often than a LAR Grizzly.  
  • They typically beat all three I just mentioned for utilizing off the shelf ammo.  
  • You'll probably need to start thinking about reloading.  
  • You'll eventually probably trade it away.
I've been down this road before.  I settled long ago on a first year Ruger Redhawk that's capable of supporting Garrett 330gr +P+ Hammerheads.  I am really not a fan of Ruger anything except my one particular revolver shooting that one particular cartridge.  That's when I quenched my own thirst for seeking to acquire powerful hand cannons, sort of like you're going through now.
View Quote

Why is 44 your choice? I've known a few people that had the same feeling about the 50.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one just like you describe except it was in a matte nickel finish.  It was fun to put the 50AE barrel in and have the huge boom.  The cost of the ammo made it nice to have the 44 mag barrel to play around with.  

Had it for a long while then traded it off when something else came along that I had to have.  Don't really miss it but was glad to have owned one for a while.  I'd say go for it.  

Just picked up a Tippmann Armory Gatling Gun for the same sorta "Gotta have it. Wow that's cool." feeling.  So I know where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd be tempted to grab it up.

What's that got to do with anything. I've got a 500 S&W too
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I’d trade my 27-2 4” for the right .44 mag.  Don’t know what it is about them, but I want one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The same shop had a .357 version a few meets ago.  Didn't give it a second glance because it was a .357.  Maybe I should have?

I just looked at 50 AE prices.  $2.50 a round.  And reloading stuff is very limited.  I already reload for .44 mag, so that wouldn't be a problem.
View Quote

For me I have a custom 500 mag mold for 600 grain bullets which I can pour my own. Cant do that with gas operated auto's , jacketed bullets only.
My 50 AE I just could not find ammo , bullets or make my own so it went. The .357 DE is really easy to shoot and ammo and mags are not an issue.

It does not have the "cool" factor but a 500 mag is more of a thumper.

My other odd auto is a 475 Wildey mag but that's another story~

500's are punishing on the sending and receiving end~

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's that got to do with anything. I've got a 500 S&W too
View Quote

I’ve got a 82a1 and a Freedom Arms 454 Casull… and the username. I just remembered I need to by a deagle ??
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Heavy, mushy trigger and expensive to shoot...
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you in the importation and wholesale business of narcotics?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's prolly something ya just gotta get outta yer system, so buy it, shoot it, let it sit in the safe, and then eventually take it back to the dealer to sell. Prolly won't lose any money, tho.
View Quote

Yep- that about sums it up.

Would rather  have have  Freedom Arms 475 Any day.

Had one- 1,000 rounds of brass and could shoot a lot.
Just never enjoyed shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I won’t talk you out of it….. it’s awesome in 44 mag but it’s so cool to say you have a 50ae
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is what I did. Falls into the same category as the S&W Performance Center 460 and 500 pistols I had. They weren't fun to shoot, but they were fun to hand to people to shoot. After all my friends had experienced the suck they all got moved down the road. Itch scratched.
View Quote
I thought shooting the 500 was fun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I imagine this guy got a pretty good discount on his.
Desert Eagle restoration - 50 a.e. caliber gun restoration
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I imagine this guy got a pretty good discount on his.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6x39mzZwi8
View Quote

Fun story. I had one of my customers walk into my store and ask if we rented guns which was really odd for this guy. I told him we didn't but that I was intrigued as to why he needed to rent a gun. He explained that while he was hunting he tripped on some down trees and had lost his desert eagle. He didn't realize it until he had gotten back to truck/boat/camp whatever because there was snow everywhere and he was fully loaded. His plan was to go back in the spring and recover it and he didn't feel comfortable without a magnum backup pistol because there were big bears all over the place.

The whole time he's telling this story I'm laughing my ass off. I tell him that I'll give him my 44 just so I can have the story to tell. I figured there was about a 1% chance he'd actually find the spot and gun but knew he was going to try. Comes by the shop a while later with a giant grin carrying my gun and his gun. It wasn't quite as bad as the one in the video but it was pretty bad. He sent it back to Magnum Research and they refinished it for a very reasonable price. You could see a couple pits under the new finish but for the most part it looked really good.

I still laugh about it. That guy was a character through and through but was a hunting fool that lived for the chase and raised his son to be the same.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I’m going by that shop tomorrow on my way to somewhere else.  I’ll see if I can resist the temptation.  Shoot, maybe someone else bought it today and I won’t have to?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Don’t buy it but tell where you are getting that deal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#36]
That's a good deal.

It's against my religion to talk people out of buying firearms.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's against my religion to talk people out of buying firearms.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#38]
2 barrels and only $1800? Why have not went back and got it? I have seen them with just one barrel sell for that.

DO IT.

I have two of them, one I keep in 357, and the other I switch between 44 and 50. I Got tired of swapping to bolts when I wanted to shoot 357, so I bought the 2nd one to keep 357.
Also have the 6 and 10 inch barrels for both, with scopes on the 10 inch barrels.
SO much fun.
If you reload, ammo is not that bad. I could easily load up probably 200-300 rounds of 50AE tomorrow with the components I have on hand. Same with 44 and 357.
I use x-treme heavy plated bullets with zero issues. (but also have plenty of jacketed bullets too)
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Now I’m shopping Deagles. WTF is wrong with me?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Do it OP, do it right now.

I thought just a 6" 357 mag desert eagle would be fine.

Now I have
6" and 10" 357 mag barrels
6" and 10" 44 mag barrels
6" and 10" 50AE barrels
and a 10" 429DE barrel

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do it OP, do it right now.

I thought just a 6" 357 mag desert eagle would be fine.

Now I have
6" and 10" 357 mag barrels
6" and 10" 44 mag barrels
6" and 10" 50AE barrels
and a 10" 429DE barrel

View Quote

Do you have any experience with one caliber being noticeably more reliable than others @RiverSwine45 ?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I just learned about 429DE.

Neat
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you have any experience with one caliber being noticeably more reliable than others @RiverSwine45 ?
View Quote

If you reload and understand bullet wt and powder selection they all work fine. Certain powders do not cycle these things and lighter bullets are not good.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well I just learned about 429DE.

Neat
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Its just another "thing" to show off to people, like a big boat, a big house or a fancy car....a "here I am"  type of thing.......you will have fun with it a few time to the range, you will get a few people say...WOW.. and WHOA...or man thats cool....... then the new will wear off and then you will get bored with it and your out a grand just to try to impress people who dont have one......
then you will be putting it up for sale on GUNBROKER or trading it for another  "her I am" thing....and the process repeats itself over and over again. I see it at the gun/pawn shop where I work all the time.....each day everyday.......

Save your money and invest it in something that will benefit you and your family  long term.......
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#47]
do it.

play chocktaw bingo whilst shooting your new pistola.

James McMurtry "Choctaw Bingo"

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Heavy as fuck and finicky.

It's like a far chick that only does missionary.    Good enough, for the desperate and uncouth.
View Quote

*snort*
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I got 2 because you can't shoot 2 at the same time with only one.   I brought them to an AL meetup years ago and nobody would shoot both at the same time until I did it and then an Arfcommers 14 year old son asked if he could.   His dad gave him permission and the kid fired them like a champ.  Then multiple adults stopped being pussies and shot them both.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have 2 .50AE Deagles already.   Im not opposed to buying a 3rd.

Maybe a 500SW?

The cat from Virginia yields the floor.

Mr. Monk, I relinquish my time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#50]
@Action45

Something I wanted to add to what you asked is that the 429DE is proving to be a little finicky. The factory ammo is available from MRI but there is really no published reload data available for it. MRI has told us what their factory load is but aside from replicating and tweaking factory loadings it's somewhat of a wildcat caliber still.

There is a couple few of us in the desert eagle and reloading sub forums trying to figure out some better loads right now.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top