Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
the only "solid" alternative to an AR-15 is another better AR-15
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the only "solid" alternative to an AR-15 is another better AR-15 a Daewoo.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#3]
they're not really comparable, so no

bullpups will never be viable alternatives to the ar-15 because of their lack of modularity
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The bullpup concept is awesome on paper.  Not so much in practical application.

Reloading sucks.  Shooting from “field improvised” rest positions sucks.  Trigger sucks, but admittedly can get pretty good if you’re willing to drop the coin.

I like my Tavor.  It’s fun, it’s cool.  It also has about 5 rifles ahead of it on the “depth chart” if I were fighting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Reloading sucks.  No more than any other gun, except for ARs, which has the best reloading config of any rifle out there

Shooting from “field improvised” rest positions sucks.  I've shot bullpups in plenty of odd positions, never been any more problematic than any other rifle, and easier in some cases.

Trigger sucks, but admittedly can get pretty good if you’re willing to drop the coin.  Depends on the rifle, some bullpups have good triggers, some do not. The days of all bullpups having bad triggers are long past.

I like my Tavor.  It’s fun, it’s cool.  It also has about 5 rifles ahead of it on the “depth chart” if I were fighting.
View Quote

Bullpups have some significant advantages in certain environments, and I see no reason they wouldn't be comparable to ARs given the 70 years of development that the AR platform has benefited from.  Sooner or later, they will eclipse the conventional rifle configuration, as manufacturers design out the weaknesses and improve upon the inherent advantages.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Reloading sucks.  Shooting from “field improvised” rest positions sucks.  Trigger sucks, but admittedly can get pretty good if you’re willing to drop the coin.

View Quote

I can reload my X95 about as fast as my AR, I'll have to break out the timer and test it though. Mag release is very similar to AR so it's not much to go from AR to the X95 in my opinion, it's a very similar motion switching between the two.

From prone I would say is slightly awkward but not that bad and the trigger isn't horrible, but definitely not as nice as the Larue on my AR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bullpups have some significant advantages in certain environments, and I see no reason they wouldn't be comparable to ARs given the 70 years of development that the AR platform has benefited from.  Sooner or later, they will eclipse the conventional rifle configuration, as manufacturers design out the weaknesses and improve upon the inherent advantages.

View Quote

The bullpup concept has literally had longer to develop than the AR15.

It’s a dead end, and damn near everyone has figured that out now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to post a reasoned response, but then I remembered this thread is in GD, so

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good luck finding a G trigger, I have been looking for months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got two stage triggers in all my AR's for whatever reason, just found them to be very nice. The stock trigger isn't too bad honestly but if I see a trigger in stock I might just FO...

I'll check out the G, thanks!

Good luck finding a G trigger, I have been looking for months.

Put up a wtb over at bullpup forums.  I just got a Tav-d for 300 just by asking around
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Put up a wtb over at bullpup forums.  I just got a Tav-d for 300 just by asking around
View Quote

To add, don't dismiss the TAV-D, either. It's just as good as the Geissele trigger. It's a little different in feel, though - it feels more like a really nice M1 Garand or M-14 trigger.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
While I like the slight rear weight bias a pup allows to include overall weight and length, I cannot overcome my fear of a kaboom so close in proximity to my face, the mag change, or the vast amount of support AR pattern firearms have. Loved the RDB I had but to let it go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Myself and several others ask him pretty much weekly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so you know Ramy has not designed a X95 rail. Yet. Just for the SAR (and ACR).

Ah shit, I thought he had both.

I would ask him when he expects to have them anyway.
Myself and several others ask him pretty much weekly

Have you seen the new Manticore forend:

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But the reality is, any self-loading rifle fielded in the last 70 years is going to be approximately as capable at putting holes in the thug 5 yards away in your living room in the middle of the night, as any other rifle.  Your rifle choice is going to matter way less than factors such as, your own practice and preparedness to use the weapon in times of stress, and the circumstances of the situation, e.g. you're in the kitchen getting milk in the middle of the night and the bad guy is breaking into your bedroom where your nightstand gun is. Or, you're sitting on the shitter when you hear a break in. etc. etc.

View Quote

This is the answer. The minor accuracy differences etc won't matter at across the room distances for home defense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What agency issues the X95?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's one agency near me who issues the Tavor X95 instead of an AR. Their officers hate them and have found them to be finicky, needing to be run very wet to avoid issues. Not sure if that's related to the heat and dust here, but that's what they told me. I've not used one and know lots of people love theirs. I was honestly surprised when I asked an officer how he was liking the X95.

What agency issues the X95?

Goodyear PD. And for an optic, they use a Vortex Sparc. Strange choice all around.

@FightingHellfish
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is the answer. The minor accuracy differences etc won't matter at across the room distances for home defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But the reality is, any self-loading rifle fielded in the last 70 years is going to be approximately as capable at putting holes in the thug 5 yards away in your living room in the middle of the night, as any other rifle.  Your rifle choice is going to matter way less than factors such as, your own practice and preparedness to use the weapon in times of stress, and the circumstances of the situation, e.g. you're in the kitchen getting milk in the middle of the night and the bad guy is breaking into your bedroom where your nightstand gun is. Or, you're sitting on the shitter when you hear a break in. etc. etc.

So sublime triggers, improved forends, 1000 lumen lights and expensive optics are meaningless too?

(Sarcasm for those without a detector)
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
MDR-X > X95 > AK > keltec > AR
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MDR-X > X95 > AK > keltec > AR
View Quote

No...

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
While I like the slight rear weight bias a pup allows to include overall weight and length, I cannot overcome my fear of a kaboom so close in proximity to my face, the mag change, or the vast amount of support AR pattern firearms have. Loved the RDB I had but to let it go.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry about the kaboom too much. Saw a video of someone kabooming their SAR with a 300BO. No injury. It was BANG, and they threw the rifle down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You certainly cannot deny that Tavor owners know about and accept the poor accuracy these $1600 guns they have...
I'll take a gun that is accurate both up close and at distance......
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Israeli SF

Even Israeli SF won't use the TAVOR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
This fucking thread made me bid on an X95 fuck it, and I already have a Tavor
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer the SAR. Best 5-shot groups are 1.25 MOA with FGMM. Good enough out to 300 yards with an RDS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll enjoy the X95, it's a great gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.  It's a mediocre rifle that can be made into a less mediocre rifle with a bunch of expensive aftermarket parts.  Its only saving grace is the location of the mag eject button.  There are way better bullpups for the money.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, it's not.  It's a mediocre rifle that can be made into a less mediocre rifle with a bunch of expensive aftermarket parts.  Its only saving grace is the location of the mag eject button.  There are way better bullpups for the money.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/291807/08D77CA6-6AE6-426B-B098-203C084BE675_jpe-1921293.JPG

I'd tell you to search the bullpup forum for my posts, but they've removed user names from all of the archived stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alright, so I have both and just from a practical point it would seem that in a lot of ways the X95 is superior as a self defense rifle.

Obviously they're apples and oranges in comparison but if I were in a home defense scenario I'd probably go for the X95 before my AR.

What say the hive?
View Quote

"Home defense scenario" is a really arbitrary, but hard to define situation - however the attributes of either rifle aren't really relevant for shooting some crackhead breaking into your home.

Meanwhile, in general, any other advantage the X95 has over an AR - and remember, accuracy is not one of them - is totally outweighed by logistics and cost concerns.  If you want to be a gun hipster or a collector and have a neat rifle that is different just for the sake of being different, that's fine, but coming up with justifications is sort of a waste of time.

Would I love an X95?  Sure.  Is there a solid source of parts for it - or for just about any other non-AR 5.56 rifle?   Hell no  (maybe the AUG, if you're willing to throw money at it)

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I put Israeli guns in the same Turkish/Chinese barrel. They may be good guns I just don't want to give them any money. Israel can go fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#32]
This feels like old-timey Arfcom GD with the Colt vs. Bushmaster dick measuring contests

If you like an AR-15 - enjoy
If you lie an X95 - enjoy
If you like an AUG - enjoy

All I know is when I go to the range people want to touch and shoot our AUG and I usually find something cool on their table to try out.

I say "shoot all of the things" and enjoy the brotherhood at the range.

To stay on topic sort of I did have the chance to play with an X95 SBR and was really impressed with it. So much so it is on my short list for next NFA Purchase
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you interrupt your chess game with your fellow Autists to post this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that supposed to be some kind of witty put down?

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Had a SAR.  Traded it away.

Meh.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:53:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nobody wants to address this. It's what's always held me back as well. 5" groups out of a $1700 gun is hard to swallow.
View Quote

an IWI factory offering, or even an aftermarket barrel, something like how the SOCOM is for the AR-15 M4, would be just right for the American shooter market.  But that brings up the underlying advantage of the AR-15, modularity and aftermarket support.

granted, it's not needed for IDF requirements, and might make the Tavor front-heavy?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I have an X95 and like it. Is it my favourite rifle? No but it's top five.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I just did training today with the X95 and I enjoyed it, getting used to the trigger was a bit of a challenge but not definitely not impossible.

Grouping wasn't a big deal as all of our engagements were within 100ft.

It does get a bit weighty after a few hours, probably a small shoulder pad would help a lot on that.

Other than that it performed well and I was pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Check out the Manticore Arms curved buttpad.
View Quote

Does it really make that much of a difference? The stock one doesn't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Does it really make that much of a difference? The stock one doesn't seem too bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out the Manticore Arms curved buttpad.

It made more of a difference to me with the SAR than it did on the X95. I went back to stock on my X95 and feels better with body armor on as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Still on my want list.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top