Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns And Money - 4/18/1980 - Capitol Theatre (Official)

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
hbilly! you found the radio edit version of Thick as a Brick. I could only find sides 1 and 2. Good man!! youtube search is bigger suckage than Microsoft search!!
For those that don't know, Thick as a Brick was a reactionary response to the critics who saw Aqualung as a concept album and a master piece of "Progressive Rock."

Ian "What'shisname" (literally can't remember right now) got pissy about the critical response over Aqualung, so he actually wrote a concept album pretending that the whole one song, that takes up both sides of the album, was based on a poem by an 8-year old boy whose name I also can't remember, but the imaginary kid got a writing credit, so presumably, he's getting mail box money to this day!!

As for Aqualung which is now on the menu, if you try hard enough, you can imagine that "Aqualung" and "Cross-eyed Mary" relate, but then there's a few songs that talk about man-made religion and how it's distorted. So, I guess take your pick if there is a main theme to the album. On the other hand, there's some really great acoustic guitar work and excellent flute playing.
Jethro Tull - Cross-Eyed Mary
Jethro Tull - Wond'ring Aloud

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not including the short songs. I'm thinking that's probably why the critics thought it was a concept album. The Short songs were more single statements set to music.
Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zoinks:
hbilly! you found the radio edit version of Thick as a Brick. I could only find sides 1 and 2. Good man!! youtube search is bigger suckage than Microsoft search!!
For those that don't know, Thick as a Brick was a reactionary response to the critics who saw Aqualung as a concept album and a master piece of "Progressive Rock."

Ian "What'shisname" (literally can't remember right now) got pissy about the critical response over Aqualung, so he actually wrote a concept album pretending that the whole one song, that takes up both sides of the album, was based on a poem by an 8-year old boy whose name I also can't remember, but the imaginary kid got a writing credit, so presumably, he's getting mail box money to this day!!

As for Aqualung which is now on the menu, if you try hard enough, you can imagine that "Aqualung" and "Cross-eyed Mary" relate, but then there's a few songs that talk about man-made religion and how it's distorted. So, I guess take your pick if there is a main theme to the album. On the other hand, there's some really great acoustic guitar work and excellent flute playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghi3JERO8_A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwccM00YBps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euodZ1rp24Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQegYYPN-c0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rki4FoMcCE
View Quote

Think its Astbury
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

Think its Astbury
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zoinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghi3JERO8_A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwccM00YBps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euodZ1rp24Y https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQegYYPN-c0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rki4FoMcCE

Think its Astbury
Well, this morning I do remember! That's how getting older works. Pretty much sucks, but there it is. Ian Anderson! and the Protagonist of Thick As A Brick is an 8 year old named Gerald.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Today we do the first two albums of the '70s from The Ohio Players: Pain and Ecstasy.
One thing we can say about the '70s is that it was the reality/result and culmination of all the violence and total societal BS of the '60s. Sex was everywhere! All kinds of it. Grade School and Jr. High were filled with stories that were titillating and disgusting/gross. The one difference we had was that instead of stories about the glories of Transsexualism, we had stores about the genital mutilation that was needed to achieve it.
Anyway, The Ohio Players of the late '60s were "house party" music if you know what I mean. And it was very good. Then, they started making a marketing change that did change over time the music they created. They proved along with others that Sex sells.
Ohio Players - Pain (1971) - HQ
Ohio Players - Players Balling (Players Doin' Their Own Thang)
OHIO PLAYERS - THE REDS (PAIN, 1971)
OHIO PLAYERS - Singing In The Morning

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I also remember in the 3rd Grade, Carolyn Zimmer being able to draw naked boys and girls, and we would all just laugh. It seems Sex was everywhere then. As I got older, both males and females bullied others into sex especially in Jr. High. That's probably why when I hear about stories of only females every being victimized, the first thing I think is bullshit.  It's not that way until they get caught/trapped by their own decisions. Well, those are sucky childhood memories.
Ohio Players - our love has died
Ohio Players " Walked Away From You"

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel like a little Led Zep for Friday: The forth album, untitled, or also called Zoso because of one of the symbols on it. Led Zeppelin as a group or entity had a peculiar way of titling songs and albums. We called it "the Led Zeppelin School of Album and Song Titles." For example, the album Houses of the Holy has no song called "Houses of the Holy." It's on Physical Graffiti. I guess when people throw drugs and sex at you, you feel the need to be clever elsewhere.

This is the album with the song "Stairway to Heaven." That one song dominated the '70s. "Hotel California," "Freebird" (live version" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" combined didn't match in the international effect or hold Stairway had. That being said, "Four Sticks" is my favorite song from this album. I don't know if I always felt the need to buck the crowd, but it normally happened that way.
Led Zeppelin - Black Dog [Remastered] (HQ)
Titles aren't showing up anymore. Black Dog.
Rock and Roll
Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll HQ

The Battle of Evermore:
The Battle of Evermore (Remaster)
Stairway to Heaven:
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (HQ)

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Then we have
  1. Misty Mountain Hop
  2. Four Sticks
  3. Going to California
  4. When the Levee Breaks - an actual American Blues classic that was totally recreated to great effect. It's almost like you're there watching it.
Led Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop (HD)
Led Zeppelin - Four Sticks - Dark Remaster
Going to California (Remaster)
When the Levee Breaks (Remaster)

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#10]

Peace Frog,i always liked the weird name. Decent Jam
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8

Originally Posted By solid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-9EVi_tN8

Peace Frog,i always liked the weird name. Decent Ja
solid + hbilly = two solidily excellent choices!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#13]
We're starting our week off with more P/Funk!!!! We're doing acid without having to do acid. You'll thank me next pee test.
Parliament - Placebo Syndrome
Funkadelic - Better By The Pound
Let's Take It to The Stage(1975)
Funkadelic - Get Off Your Ass And Jam

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:21:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#14]
But wait...there's more!
The Song is Familiar - Funkadelic
Funkadelic - Good To Your Earhole
Funkadelic - Take Your Dead Ass Home!
Funkadelic I'm Never Gonna Tell It
Funkadelic - Butt-To-Buttresuscitation
Let's Take It To The People

ETA: I forgot to add in my haste that next time will complete the journey into P/Funk of the 1970s, and that we end on a Fan Video that puts a Russ Meyer film clip to a P/Funk song. Many of you will enjoy it (because you're sick puppies); some may be appalled. Fair Warning!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#15]
Back to Tennessee
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Back to Tennessee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXRjPUvZnY
View Quote
That bass line: that's a very nice "play" on a boogie woogie pattern. I like! Double Plus Good!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#17]
So, if you're like me, and why wouldn't you be, you wonder why there was a thing called "Smooth Jazz." Why it because God said, "okay, no more floods to destroy you clowns." It could very well be!!

Sure, It's an extremist position (take that FIB!) to say that Kenny G and Michael Bolton were crimes against Humanity. Or is it?????

Smooth Jazz, like Transsexualism, came from some where!! And it was all just so simple...at first.

Today, we visit with The Crusaders. They used to be called the Jazz Crusaders in the '60s, and we've already met Joe Samples on page 19. Essentially, they were a jazz group that became commercially popular. They had a huge hit in '79. Huge.

Most of the songs will be from their second album as the Crusaders; then a medley; then the huge hit; then their 1973 album which I couldn't find divided up into songs which makes me think no one turned it into a CD. Here's their first hit of the 1970s:
Put It Where You Want It - The Crusaders (1971)
It's Just Gotta Be That Way

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
It's true, I'm a big fan of Crusaders I. It was also known as (aka) Mosadi for fans of Trivial Pursuit. (Is that still a thing?)

Joe Samples had a quirk! Sometimes he would use "choruses" in some of his compositions. This is bad in the world of instrumental music. You see, we can all live in a yellow submarine, or maybe there is a Lucy in the sky with verifiable diamonds, or perhaps someone actually did steal your sunshine as absurd as that is, but you can't have a chorus in an instrumental without words to explain why you just fucked up your groove all of a sudden. It's not right!
Anyway, we're staying the hell away from those songs. Next Medley, then the Huge Hit called "Street Life" which the discerning listener will say, "hey, how come they don't settle on a tempo until the middle of the song?" Ah, the '70s. That would've meant doing a 10 minute song all over again back in that Stone Age!!!

Lastly, or maybe we'll revisit the Crusaders in the future, here's the 1973 album that's pretty strong. It's got one weak song on it and one that could be iffy if you're in a bad mood, but as far as buying an entire album used to go to get maybe two or three good songs on it, this is pretty good stuff:
Unsung Heroes (full album) - The Crusaders [1973 funk/Soul/Jazz]

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#19]
One of my favorite things from the 70's:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068762/
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#20]
Easy Wind
5/15/70 new york
Easy Wind (Live, New York, May 15, 1970)
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpuDoR_L0M0

Lord know, she sho is faaaaaine.
View Quote
Whoa! Subnet with one of the Holy Grail finds!!! Outstanding!!!!
One of the radio stations we had in the Bay Area was KRE out of Berkeley. They had some Betty Davis music that wasn't tied to Miles Davis. She was one of those New York artists that the LA types wouldn't touch because of subject matter. She was the "Kelis" of that Time!

I'm going to go way out on a limb, tap dancing while juggling three 14 lb bowling balls, and suggest that both these women while hugely talented and skilled in the ways of music, are/were bat shit crazy!! But the music is worth listening to!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Black Sabbath!!! You get a whole album and will get a whole album at a time. With some groups, it's the only way to listen to them. You gots to be immersed in them for a small bit of time. The First album:
First four songs: Black Sabbath; The Wizard; Behind a Wall of Sleep; N.I.B.
Black Sabbath (2014 Remaster)

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Black Sabbath was another English band that was going to be "blues" based, but due to the talents of the individuals involved, they moved in all kinds of directions.
As a young kid, I didn't buy into the devil worship stuff. There were bands like that, and they and their fans especially, gave off nothing but weird vibes set to crappy music.
Side Two: Wicked World; Evil Woman; Sleeping Village; The Warning.
Wicked World (2013 Remaster)

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Loop Holes, Gentlemen, and not just the ones that allow the launching of projectiles from behind solid walls, have been around for a few centuries. I'm going to invoke the use of one now!!!!
Jethro Tull's Living in the Past was released in 1972 and covers their '60s albums, plus EP releases up to 1972. Now we can hear some good stuff from the first two albums! MUAH Ha ha haha haha ha hahaha ha
(The only song I couldn't find that had good audio quality was Bour e, so that's how it goes.)
  1. A Song for Jeffery
  2. Love Story
  3. Christmas Song
  4. Living in the Past
  5. Driving Song
Jethro Tull - Christmas Song

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Remember when the Jethro Tull won "Best Heavy Metal...whatever" from the Grammy's? I can't believe people still pay attention to that TV show.
  • Sweet Dream
  • Singing All Day
  • The Witch's Promise
  • Just Trying to Be
  • Dharma for One
  • Life is a Long Song

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Outside of High School Football season, I went to the Saturday night Vigil Mass because back then in the 1970s, we still had free-form FM radio. It's days were definitely numbered, though. Corporations wanted the territory and to replace live DJs with taped syndicated shows.
Anyway, Sunday morning would have Gospel music on KSOL, a not to be missed couple of hours with strong organ based music. On KOME radio Sundays would have a show by Dave Wohlman who talked in depth about the music. That's where I learned this stuff, and later on that night, there was Stone Trek, about 4 hours of Prog Rock with Greg Stone smoking weed. Observe the effect on a one "Dean Venture":
Dean Discovers Prog Rock | The Venture Bros. | Adult Swim

Today's musical guest band is Riff Raff. I'm not sure there are CDs of this band. Couldn't find one on youtube. So, here are three full albums because it's the Weekend!!!!! Please to enjoy:
Riff Raff = Outside Looking In - 1972 - ( Full Album)
RIFF RAFF 1973 [full album]
Riff Raff Original Man 1974 UK, Jazz RockFusion, Progressive Rock

Like most of us at the time, Dean was too young and not ready. Don't let this happen to you!!!
Dean Lands In a Floyd Hole | The Venture Bros. | Adult Swim

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination (1976) (1994 RM, MFSL UDCD-606)
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]
late 60s  early 70s Big blocks in just about everything.
Cold Start Up TOP V8 AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR ENGINES and EXHAUST SOUND
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
@subnet
April Wine-I Like to Rock

April Wine - I Like to Rock (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Local college band, although they didn't put album out for a few years

The Raisins : Fear Is Never Boring
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 1Tribe:
@subnet
April Wine-I Like to Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcY_enzwmI
View Quote

That Loop t-shirt brings back a lot of memories of growing up in Chicago.

WLUP was a great rock station until they went basically with a talk heavy format with Brandmeier and Steve Dahl/Garry Meier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#34]
1973 alone.

1. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd  2. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
 3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
 4. Quadrophenia - The Who
 5. Pronounced  - Lynyrd Skynyrd
 6. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
 7. Call Me - Al Green
 8. Catch A Fire - Bob Marley & The Wailers
 9. Band On The Run - Paul McCartney & Wings
10. New York Dolls - The New York Dolls
11. Raw Power - Iggy And The Stooges
12. For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
13. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
14. There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon
15. Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
16. Burnin' - Bob Marley and the Wailers
17. The Spinners - The Spinners
18. Fresh - Sly and the Family Stone
19. 3+3 - The Isley Brothers
20. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
21. The Payback - James Brown
22. The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen
23. Berlin - Lou Reed
24. Wild and Peaceful - Kool and The Gang
25. Imagination - Gladys Knight and The Pips
26. Here Come the Warm Jets - Eno
27. Countdown to Ecstasy -  Steely Dan
28. Brothers And Sisters - The Allman Brothers Band
29. Funky Kingston - Toots and the Maytals
30. Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
31. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
32. Larks' Tongues in Aspic - King Crimson
33. Mott - Mott the Hoople
34. Paris 1919 - John Cale
35. Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
36. Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
37. Closing Time - Tom Waits
38. Space Ritual - Hawkwind
39. Over-Nite Sensation - The Mothers
40. Faust IV - Faust
41. Future Days - Can
42. GP - Gram Parsons
43. A Wizard, a True Star - Todd Rundgren
44. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
45. Stranded - Roxy Music
46. Blackboard Jungle Dub - The Upsetters
47. For Everyman - Jackson Browne
48. Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne
49. Ship Ahoy - The O'Jays
50. Livin' for You - Al Green
51. Time Fades Away - Neil Young
52. Tyranny & Mutation - Blue  yster Cult
53. Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. - Bruce Springsteen
54. Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
55. The Captain and Me - The Doobie Brothers
56. Cosmic Slop - Funkadelic
57. The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
58. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player - Elton John
59. Desperado - Eagles
60. Extension of a Man - Donny Hathaway
61. Holland - The Beach Boys
62. Radio Gnome Invisible Part I: Flying Teapot - Gong
63. Yessongs - Yes
64. Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes
65. Tower of Power - Tower of Power
66. Aerosmith - Aerosmith
67. We're an American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
68. A Passion Play - Jethro Tull
69. The Mack - Willie Hutch
70. Queen - Queen
71. Bachman-Turner Overdrive II - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
72. Ringo - Ringo Starr
73. Living In The Material World - George Harrison
74. Masterpiece - The Temptations
75. Stone Gon' -  Barry White
76. Rockin' Roll Baby - The Stylistics
77. Goats Head Soup - The Rolling Stones
78. Killing Me Softly - Roberta Flack
79. Live at Carnegie Hall - Bill Withers
80. Betty Davis - Betty Davis
81. Montrose - Montrose
82. Ashes Are Burning - Renaissance
83. Grand Hotel - Procol Harum
84. The Marshall Tucker Band - The Marshall Tucker Band
85. In the Right Place - Dr. John
86. Piano Man - Billy Joel
87. Hard Nose the Highway - Van Morrison
88. Angel's Egg - Gong
89. The Faust Tapes - Faust
90. Next - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
91. Nobody's Fool - Dan Penn
92. Moontan - Golden Earring
93. Bloodshot - The J. Geils Band
94. Doing It to Death - The J.B.'s
95. Reunion: Live at Madison Square Garden 1972 - Dion & The Belmonts
96. Bongo Rock - The Incredible Bongo Band
97. Abandoned Luncheonette - Daryl Hall & John Oates
98. Mind Games - John Lennon
99. Red Rose Speedway - Paul McCartney & Wings
100. The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get - Joe Walsh
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#35]
A Big "Right On!" to all of you above!!! Those are some "toasty postings." Say that five times fast!!

JT_26's list has a band on it named "Gong", number 62. I haven't thought about those guys in a million years. Prog Rock. As people left the band to form their own band, they kept the name "Gong," so there was a Gong universe after a while. Kind of funny!

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Today is Day 1 of Frijid Pink.
Detroit Muscle was a thing on many different levels including music. The early '60s Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels were a power house. (Later on in the '70s, Ryder would sort of disappear with some medical issues and personal problems and controversial songs.)
But, The Detroit Wheels were the epitome of a good time rock and roll band!!!! They influenced a lot of people. But, that was the '60s.

Another Detroit sound, besides Motown, was groups such as The Amboy Dukes, MC5 (of whom I'm not a fan), Rare Earth, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, and Meat Loaf was in a band whose name escapes me at the moment, plus Frijid Pink whom Led Zeppelin opened for on Led Zeppelin's first tour of the US.

Frijid Pink was actually pretty good although you wouldn't know that by their first album. Normally, a group comes out strong like Van Halen: first album just floors you!!! It's the second album that determines how much longevity a band is going to have. Tomorrow we listen to Frijid Pink's second album. (I deselected some songs from their album just due to the songs' "ho-hum" qualities.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#37]
ann arbor based, but still good stuff, but not progressive

Willin'
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
ann arbor based, but still good stuff, but not progressive

Willin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Hot-ThQeI
View Quote
Wow!!! 9 words!! That's the largest amount you've ever used, Brother!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Today is Frijid Pink's second album. It's a much stronger album!!! More in line with what the band could do. No idea what happened to the first album. However, I have a theory. Watson! Pour your tea and stuff your pipes whilst I illuminate.....

The last four songs on their second album, Defrosted, are songs in radio-friendly format!! Gasp!!! I think that's what they did on their first album: have some radio-friendly songs. Some bands are not radio-friendly or generic teenage girl friendly. But, that's where the money is! Sucks, but it's the truth. Genesis was never popular until '83 when they made radio and female friendly. The same with ZZ Top at roughly the same year. It's a fact. Totally sucks, but there it is. Fame and fortune come at the cost of selling out your original musical goals/values, unless you are Taylor Swift, then your goal is to write songs for the radio and teenage girls. Oh well.....
(I can't in good conscious post the last four songs.)

First: Black Lace
Second: Sing a Song for Freedom
Third: I'll Never Be Lonely
Fourth: Bye Bye Blues
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Fifth: Pain in My Heart
Sixth: Sloony           (Must be some weird Detroit thing!)
Seventh: I'm Moving
Eighth: I Haven't Got the Time
(I needed to practice my ordinal numbers.)

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JT_26:
1973 alone.

1. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd  2. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
 3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
 4. Quadrophenia - The Who
 5. Pronounced  - Lynyrd Skynyrd
 6. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
 7. Call Me - Al Green
 8. Catch A Fire - Bob Marley & The Wailers
 9. Band On The Run - Paul McCartney & Wings
10. New York Dolls - The New York Dolls
11. Raw Power - Iggy And The Stooges
12. For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
13. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
14. There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon
15. Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
16. Burnin' - Bob Marley and the Wailers
17. The Spinners - The Spinners
18. Fresh - Sly and the Family Stone
19. 3+3 - The Isley Brothers
20. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
21. The Payback - James Brown
22. The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen
23. Berlin - Lou Reed
24. Wild and Peaceful - Kool and The Gang
25. Imagination - Gladys Knight and The Pips
26. Here Come the Warm Jets - Eno
27. Countdown to Ecstasy -  Steely Dan
28. Brothers And Sisters - The Allman Brothers Band
29. Funky Kingston - Toots and the Maytals
30. Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
31. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
32. Larks' Tongues in Aspic - King Crimson
33. Mott - Mott the Hoople
34. Paris 1919 - John Cale
35. Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
36. Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
37. Closing Time - Tom Waits
38. Space Ritual - Hawkwind
39. Over-Nite Sensation - The Mothers
40. Faust IV - Faust
41. Future Days - Can
42. GP - Gram Parsons
43. A Wizard, a True Star - Todd Rundgren
44. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top
45. Stranded - Roxy Music
46. Blackboard Jungle Dub - The Upsetters
47. For Everyman - Jackson Browne
48. Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne
49. Ship Ahoy - The O'Jays
50. Livin' for You - Al Green
51. Time Fades Away - Neil Young
52. Tyranny & Mutation - Blue  yster Cult
53. Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. - Bruce Springsteen
54. Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
55. The Captain and Me - The Doobie Brothers
56. Cosmic Slop - Funkadelic
57. The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
58. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player - Elton John
59. Desperado - Eagles
60. Extension of a Man - Donny Hathaway
61. Holland - The Beach Boys
62. Radio Gnome Invisible Part I: Flying Teapot - Gong
63. Yessongs - Yes
64. Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes
65. Tower of Power - Tower of Power
66. Aerosmith - Aerosmith
67. We're an American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
68. A Passion Play - Jethro Tull
69. The Mack - Willie Hutch
70. Queen - Queen
71. Bachman-Turner Overdrive II - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
72. Ringo - Ringo Starr
73. Living In The Material World - George Harrison
74. Masterpiece - The Temptations
75. Stone Gon' -  Barry White
76. Rockin' Roll Baby - The Stylistics
77. Goats Head Soup - The Rolling Stones
78. Killing Me Softly - Roberta Flack
79. Live at Carnegie Hall - Bill Withers
80. Betty Davis - Betty Davis
81. Montrose - Montrose
82. Ashes Are Burning - Renaissance
83. Grand Hotel - Procol Harum
84. The Marshall Tucker Band - The Marshall Tucker Band
85. In the Right Place - Dr. John
86. Piano Man - Billy Joel
87. Hard Nose the Highway - Van Morrison
88. Angel's Egg - Gong
89. The Faust Tapes - Faust
90. Next - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
91. Nobody's Fool - Dan Penn
92. Moontan - Golden Earring
93. Bloodshot - The J. Geils Band
94. Doing It to Death - The J.B.'s
95. Reunion: Live at Madison Square Garden 1972 - Dion & The Belmonts
96. Bongo Rock - The Incredible Bongo Band
97. Abandoned Luncheonette - Daryl Hall & John Oates
98. Mind Games - John Lennon
99. Red Rose Speedway - Paul McCartney & Wings
100. The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get - Joe Walsh
View Quote

Impressive list. That was a great year for music. Thanks for posting it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Today is Buddy Miles Day!!! Who? Yes, that Buddy Miles!!! A personal Favorite, and we were introduced to him through "Band of Gypsys."
Buddy Miles and Al Kooper were co-founders of The Electric Flag which was morphed or shuttled into Blood, Sweat and Tears. People formed and disbanded all the time. I assume it was to get out of contracts or get better deals in contracts. The Music Business is a business!!
Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, I bought this album a year or two after it came out (price drop!!), and showed it to my friend, Earl, who lived down the street. "Hey, Earl, you look like this guy!" Earl responded with "I play guitar not drums." Yes, Earl, you certainly did. I have no idea how I could've been so wrong. 11 year olds. What can you expect.

1 Them Changes
2 I Still Love You, Anyway
3 Heart's Delight
4 Dreams
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#43]
1 Down By The River    (This is a cover of the Neil Young song - way better musically, but Young's screeching does add an element.)
2 Memphis Train
3 Paul B. Allen Omaha, Nebraska
4 Your Feeling Is Mine

Paul B. Allen, Omaha, Nebraska

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Houses of the Holy, not the song "Houses of the Holy" from Physical Graffiti, is "Today's Adventure into the World of Tomorrow from Yesterday!!!"
It's a great album. Most of the songs are very popular with the Masses; yet, no one knows about this album. It's like it's ethereal!
1. The Song Remains the Same
2. The Rain Song; Me and my Mom used to listen to this one together before she died
3. Over The Hills and Far Away
4. The Crunge; The Bridge, what is it? it's a bit of music that joins a verse to a chorus; take me to the bridge comes from James Brown, therefore the song is an ode to James Brown
The Song Remains the Same (Remaster)
Over the Hills and Far Away (Remaster)

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Every song on this Album is a power house! Yet, the album is hard to recall for most people. I attribute that to the Led Zeppelin School of Title Making!
1. Dancing Days
2. D'yer Maker; the most controversial song of all Led Zeppelin songs; no one know how to say "D'yer."
3. No Quarter - way too powerful for most!
4. The Ocean; Led Zeppelin's "Thank you" to its fans

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Let's end the Week with the one Genesis album I didn't include, Lamb Lies Down. One of us had the brains to post one of the songs at the beginning of this thread. Good for you, fellow posting enthusiast!!!
I've selected several songs from the double album. I call these selections, "Lamb Chops."
Clever, huh?????? Yup, I know a little about Marketing.

Lamb Lies Down is probably the most ambitious concept album I know of. It's a similar journey as in Dante's Divine Comedy, but a lot shorter!! We follow a a shit headed street punk named Rael as he goes from dying to rebirth emerging with a new understanding, so it's also the typical hero's journey as described by Joseph Campbell. However you'd like to think about it, it's worth listening to, but it does take work on your part.
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Official Audio)
Genesis - Fly On A Windshield (Official Audio)
Genesis - Broadway Melody Of 1974 (Official Audio)
Genesis - In The Cage (Official Audio)
Genesis - Back In NYC (Official Audio)
Genesis - Counting Out Time (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Each song tells part of the Story, but the selected songs can also stand on their own meaning you don't need the song before it to be able to follow along with the playing song. At least, that's what I tried for, but it's also possible I fucked that up!!
Genesis - Carpet Crawlers (Official Audio)
Genesis - The Chamber Of 32 Doors (Official Audio)
Genesis - Lilywhite Lilith (Official Audio)
Genesis - Anyway (Official Audio)
Genesis - The Lamia (Official Audio)
Genesis - It (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#48]
This is the complete double album for those that accept the challenge!!!
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Genesis Full Remastered Album 1974

For me, what I find most interesting was that Genesis at the time were barely into their 20s when they were doing such ambitious projects. I was maybe 13 when this came out. Gave me a sense that creating anything was possible if you put the work into it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Found an animated version of the album last night by the same guy who did the "Supper's Ready" video. I watched the first 40 minutes of it. It will help those who don't have lyric sheets to understand the words better (the English!! I can never understand them!!!), plus the animation will help you figure out whether he's, Rael, experiencing or remembering. I had to listen to the album a million times to figure that out. The animation will help right off the bat!!!
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Illustrated - Complete

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#50]
AC/DC Jailbreak 1976 official music video

1976 ! Best year ,fight me.
Phone booths
pubic hair and ROCK lol
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top