Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I love that song so much. Perfectly captures a moment.
View Quote

Lowell George was a genius. Along with other members of one of the best groups ever assembled.

Little Feat- Join the Band /Fat Man In the Bathtub (August 1977)

Lowell George - What Do You Want the Girl To Do
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#3]
This one should get a rise.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Little feat was more than a band, they were so tight, they were a living organism.
Little Feat- Two Trains (Live) 9/19/1974

Rock And Roll Doctor (Live at Lisner Auditorium, Washington, DC, 8/9/1977)

Rock And Roll Doctor (Live at Lisner Auditorium, Washington, DC, 8/9/1977)
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Cold, Cold, Cold (Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London, UK, 8/4/1977)

This is a favorite of mine.
Down On The Farm - Little Feat
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:36:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#7]
I could do this all night. Another great tune.

@Subnet Neon Park did all of their cover artwork. You will find his name on all of them somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Last one. First line is about CVG.
Oh Atlanta (Live at Lisner Auditorium, Washington, DC, 8/10/1977)
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Released 01/01/1970

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:19:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mistermills357] [#10]
Gerry Rafferty - "Right Down The Line"

I had a room mate in the Army who played Gerry Rafferty incessantly, plus he was a jerk. I think that he took an early discharge. That was in 1978-1979.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, there's a lot of good music here, and we're not even close to finishing it. Still have Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Hot Tuna, Canned Heart, Asleep at the Wheel...wow. Subnet's thesis is correct. There's never been a decade like that one.
Here's a down payment for an upcoming band:

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
"There are only two types of men...those that are in love with Emmylou Harris and those that have never met her."
-Willie Nelson

Emmylou is part of my 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbaz_T6BN3g
View Quote

She certainly made me tingle….
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Today, we start a topic about what happens to groups that go from raw talent with very little production ability to the same group of people at the top of their game. We'll start with Procol Harum from when Robin Trower left to form the Robin Trower Group.

Procol Harum replaced Trower with a very good, very accomplish guitarist who disappeared from History as there were a lot of very good and very accomplished guitarists out there. By now, Procol Harum was at their height of their abilities and craftsmanship, and they're running into the same problem that happens to all groups that very good at what they do: where do we go from here????
If they do the same things over and over again, they'll become staid and will start losing fans. If they change, they'll piss off fans and lose them that way, but maybe they'll gain new fans? In effect, they have become victims of their success. Case in point, is The Grand Hotel. This album's got everything, from an anthem to a song about getting the clap and everything in between. And it was panned at the time by the critics. Oh well.......
1  Grand Hotel
2  Toujours L'Amour
3  A Rum Tale
4  T.V. Caesar
Procol Harum/Toujours L'amour
T.V. Cesar (Raw Track without Orchestra)

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]
1  Souvenir in London
2  Bringing Home The Bacon
3  For Liquorice John
4  Fires (Which Burn Brightly)
5  Robert's Box
Bringing Home the Bacon (Remastered)
For Liquorice John (Raw Track from Studio Session)
Fires (Which Burn Brightly)
Procol Harum - Robert's Box

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Boomer music - it all takes me back. Never forget that Queen is a 70's band

Queen - In The Lap Of The Gods - Hammersmith Odeon, London - 1975/12/24

Queen - Liar - Hammersmith Odeon, London - 1975/12/24
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I actually saw AC/DC as a young soldier in Germany in 1977. This is from later in the same year.

AC/DC - LIVE London, England, October 27, 1977 Full Concert (AI upscaled pro-shot)
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]
"penicillin penny"

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#18]
Carry me, Carrie

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Our next "victim of their own success" is the Ohio Players. When we started with them, they were just a band that did the rock/funk of the late '60s and were actually pretty good with it. Then in the '70s, they discovered that sex sells! On the other hand, they were still developing artists.
Now, we have two albums, Fire and Honey, that are probably the high point of their musical abilities and craftsmanship. The songs of these two albums, while still keeping true to "sex sells," are...words like great, fantastic etc are coming off cheap unfortunately, but the music is constructed with great melodies, harmonies, lyrical content, arrangements and orchestrations and just enough musical experimentation. These two albums easily rival anything Quincy Jones was doing at the same time, and the Ohio Players all did it in house.
First the hits!!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#20]
(Finally, for the above post, I didn't screw anything up!)
The next set of songs were probably never played on the radio, but I promise every one of them is a well produced song and worth listening to. But, alas, as these two albums represent the high point of the Ohio Players development, that means there's only one direction to go next. But, in this case it was because fans moved on because this level of talent became "the same ol' thing."

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#21]
jerry jeff walker
it's a good night for singin'

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
jerry jeff walker
it's a good night for singin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDXlNxDGn7A
View Quote
Yeah, Baby! I got something to listen to while posting!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Black Sabbath also went through from up upon High to...what the critics, a lot of "fair weather fans," and even Ozzy would claim...to the lowest of lows as the worst album Black Sabbath ever did. We'll have to agree to disagree. Besides Disco, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, and Ozzy, Black Sabbath had way more than their share of problems. I don't think this album is one of them. (Production wise, many problems, but nothing they couldn't mitigate.)
1  Never Say Die
2  Johnny Blade
3  Junior's Eyes
4  A Hard Road
Never Say Die (2014 Remaster)
Johnny Blade (2014 Remaster)
Junior's Eyes (2014 Remaster)
A Hard Road (2014 Remaster)

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:37:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#24]
There isn't a song on this album that isn't worth anyone's time listening to it. It is different from previous albums, and there's a price to pay for that. And if it was the same as previous albums, there is a price to pay for that.
1  Shock Wave
2  Air Dance
3  Over to You
4  Break Out
5  Swinging the Chain
Over to You (2014 Remaster)
Swinging the Chain (2014 Remaster)

ETA: Stupid fucking cover, though. What the hell does it even mean? Two clowns wearing helmets that make no sense standing real tall compared to a horizontal parked tail dragger? Drugs, I guess. No idea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:25:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#25]
Alice Cooper
Killer

Alice Cooper - Killer (1971) (Full Album)
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Alice Cooper
Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htr2RJ_EA0
View Quote
Another Killer choice!!
hbilly, solid and Lorazepam! You guys have exquisite taste!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, Gentle Sports Fans, even the Mighty Led Zeppelin had their reputations sullied by critiques and alleged fans alike over the album Presence.
Oddly enough, this was their most rockingist album: stripped down production bordering on raw like a "live" performance and no hint of 17th and 18th English music. The album even shipped out "Gold" its first day of release. And people were disappointed. I was a sophomore at the time. This is when I learned I was surrounded by...IDIOTS!! LOL
(There's nothing wrong with this album at all.)
Achilles Last Stand (Remaster)
Nobody's Fault but Mine (Remaster)

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Tomorrow, I pick a random album from a group who's attitude was "don't give a shit and fuck you."
Damn it! forgot to title the songs again!!!!!!!!!!!
1  Candy Store Rock
2  Hots on for Nowhere
3  Tea for One
Candy Store Rock (Remaster)
Hots on for Nowhere (Remaster)

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Yes, Gentle Sports Fans, even the Mighty Led Zeppelin had their reputations sullied by critiques and alleged fans alike over the album Presence.
Oddly enough, this was their most rockingist album: stripped down production bordering on raw like a "live" performance and no hint of 17th and 18th English music. The album even shipped out "Gold" its first day of release. And people were disappointed. I was a sophomore at the time. This is when I learned I was surrounded by...IDIOTS!! LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4KLOm7pO0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkFh7fC7-h8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUIxy8za4w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-zf2TgCjw
View Quote

One of my favorite albums.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DrywellDweller:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrywellDweller:
Originally Posted By zoinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t4KLOm7pO0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkFh7fC7-h8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUIxy8za4w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-zf2TgCjw

This is the correct response, my Friend  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#31]
As promised from yesterday, here is the one group that, at least outwardly/publicly, just doesn't give a fuck about the establishment's opinion.
The other thing to remember is that almost 50 years ago, or 36-37 albums ago depending on how you want to mark Time, the Critics and a lot of aficionado fans said this is the beginning of the End!!!
Gentlemen, this is what the end of a once successful career sounds like:
1  Dancing with Mr. D
2  100 Years Ago
3  Coming Down Again
4  Doo Doo Etc. Heart Breaker     (Stupid title)
5  Angie                                         (This song was a monster hit, effing huge. I didn't get it as a 12 year old, still not getting at 61.)

Coming Down Again (Remastered)
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#32]
1  Silver Train
2  Hide Your Love Away
3  Winter
4  Can You Hear the Music
5  Star Star

Yup, the beginning of the End. Music critics are the same kind of people that believe in man made climate change.

Hide Your Love (Remastered)
Can You Hear The Music (Remastered)

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:57:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#33]

Hoyt Axton - Never Been to Spain
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#34]

Gettin' By - Jerry Jeff Walker
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fa4HUiFJ6c
View Quote

Oh yeah. Outstanding selection. Mick Taylor makes it happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Treadhead:
Another one I enjoy pretty often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVWBVbytXo
View Quote

Me too, bought this album in spring 1973.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Marvin Gaye, I Got To Give It Up. Long version on his "live" album at the London Palladium from around 1977.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/8ABAA8AB-817D-481C-A8A6-E3FB2820DDFF-2536750.jpg

I now own two mint Betty Davis records.
View Quote
Whoa!!!! That must have been a lot of detective work. I only heard about her because KRE out of Berkeley, CA was playing her, and they were only playing her because she was married to Miles Davis at the time.

Congratulations!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#40]
More progrock!!! Yes, this stuff takes work to understand, or put another way, get into! It's like some of the sub-genres of Metal these days. You're not doing it for the money or the chicks, you're doing it because you have the skill and the talent. Taylor Swift could not ever, never ever, pull off an album like Tarkus from ELP. I'm not sure she has the musicianship to play music with rhythms as complex as flamenco rhythms. Second, her fans would shrink away in horror because it would remind them of algebra.
So, Tarkus is a tough album to figure out what the hell is going on. Here's a small guide.

The tank like Armadillo has a battle with a Manticore and wins, but loses much of himself that he is transformed into Aquatarkus, but wonders what it was all for. That's the nut shell. The nut meat itself is even harder to grasp. But first, side one:
1  Tarkus:
   -Eruption
   -Stones of Years
   -Iconoclast
   -Mass
   -Manticore
   -Battlefield
   -Aquatarkus

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Another thing to think about is that the lyrics are good at painting the picture. HOWEVER, they're a trap. They lead you away in the opposite direction........90% of the time. Except for "Are you Ready, Eddy." That's a rocking song at the end for fun.
1  Jeremy Bender
2  Bitches Crystal
3  The Only Way
4  Infinite Space
5  A Time and a Place
6  Are You Ready, Eddy
Bitches Crystal (2012 - Remaster)

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Okay, the Granddaddy of 'em all for Progressive Rock (not sure what progressive in this context means as music is always changing to and fro) Fans: The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. 'Nuff said.
1  Speak to Me
2  Breathe (In the Air)
3  On the Run
4  Time
5  The Great Gig in the Sky
Pink Floyd – Time (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#44]
1  Money
2  Us and Them
3  Any Colour You Like
4  Brain Damage
5  Eclipse
Pink Floyd - Money (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#45]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz_EeEN_YXQ
View Quote
Frank Zappa: musical extremist!!
No one is indifferent to him: you're on one side or the other. I'm on the FrankPro side.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I sense we're getting close to a new page!! LOL
Today! More ProgRock!!!
UK was a super group in the genre. The four members were akin to superstars in their own right. Granted most here won't know; however, many here are fans of the '80s group Asia. You'll recognize the voice!
1  In the Dead of Night
2  Bu the Light of Day
3  Presto Vivace and Reprise
4  Thirty Years
(First three songs are actually a suite. Don't know why it's not labeled as such. Maybe trying to put more song titles on the label to make record company happy.)
UK - In the Dead of the Night - Studio Version
U.K. - 02 - By The Light Of Day
U.K. - Presto Vivace And Reprise

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#47]
For those of you that are guitarists, here's a good introduction to Allan Holdsworth for you. Probably the most Einstein like guitarist in the World when he was alive.
1  Alaska
2  Time to Kill
3  Nevermore
4  Mental Medication

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Today, to continue on our journey, is Camel!
Who???? Yes, those guys.
They were for the most part, a Band's Band. However, their style was foundational and influenced a lot of English bands and musicians. An argument can be made that without Camel, there might not have been Trip Hop, Acid Jazz or even Chill sub-genres. Some of you younger people probably listened to such music from the '90s through the '00s. This is their Granddaddy right here.
First we start off with the album Mirage:
1  Freefall
2  Supertwister
3  Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider
4  Earthrise
5  Lady Fantasy: Encounter/Smiles for You/Lady Fantasy
Nimrodel / The Procession / The White Rider
Lady Fantasy: Encounter / Smiles for You / Lady Fantasy

The popularity of this album, such as it was, coincided or "rode the coat-tails of" the return in popularity of JRR Tolkien's work that were being rediscovered at the time. A couple of songs here were based on characters from one of his books. I was reading Alistair MacLean books at the time and learning how to be a top notch British agent during the cold war or WW2 or whatever the time period to be bothered that stuff, but I did like the music.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Although the above post was of a complete album with two songs being suites, that wasn't Camel's typical style. They had great fantastic production values. That's what I mostly think of. They knew what the hell they were doing in the regard. All the sounds you here were created non-digitally, processed by "craftsmen."
These next five songs I kind of sort of just grabbed real quick as they are typical of Camel's stylings in the way they created their music.
1  You Make Me Smile
2  The Sleeper
3  Rainbow's End
4  One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night
5  Skylines
One Of These Days I'll Get An Early Night

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top