Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 43
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
So....all this English Progrock was leading to a destination!!! Yes's Tomato. It was going to be a lesson in pomposity in only a way that the English can achieve it. But other zoinks brought up a good point. I was going to post a bunch of songs that while technically good, kind of suck for a multitude of reasons, and I was going to do this knowingly to prove an esoteric point. Kind of a dick move!!!
So instead, here are the three enjoyable songs from Tomato:
1  Don't Kill the Whale
2  Arriving UFO
3  On the Silent Wings of Freedom
On the Silent Wings of Freedom

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:30:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#3]
American "progrock" was for the most part called "jazz fusion." Pages ago, we listened to Return to Forever. That's probably the greatest example of progrock or jazz fusion Americans have to offer, and it is awesome.
But, we're going to do Yes's Going for the One. It's a great album, the last before the band's individual egos started to fight each other even during the songs. (see Tomato.) Plus, it has the added benefit of the titled song is one of my top five love songs. Please to enjoy, Going for the One:
1  Going for the One
2  Parallels
3  Turn of the Century
4  Wonderous Stories
5  Awaken
Going for the One (2008 Remaster)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDCuKHgBNQ&list=OLAK5uy_nIFWHKVs0t-mEq-GZ3xEVE1kqqYiV4wZo&index=4
Turn of the Century (2008 Remaster)
Yes - Wonderous Stories (Official Music Video)

ETA:     okay, posting is having difficulties this morning!
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's "Awaken." Don't know what happened:

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#5]
The great pretender

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, hell, hbilly, let's do the title song recorded at a San Francisco institution, The Boarding House:
Old & In The Way - Midnight Moonlight (1973)

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#7]
These next five were just book marks that I was supposed to have included in other posts, but for some unknown reason I did not. Life is a Mystery.
Girl You Need A Change Of Mind
I'll Take You There | The Staple Singers.mov
Jaco Pastorius - Wiggle Waggle.mp4

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
In what was known as "Popular Music" which sort of bordered the music parents listened to that had some Jazz influence in it, there were a number of top flight vocal groups. Here are just two of them:
How Long (Betcha' Got A Chick On The Side)

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Lastly, I'm taking all of you out to a concert in Houston: Bootsy Collins' Rubber Band!!! Remember, when the show ends make your way to the bus as a group. They pick off stragglers in these parts!!
(Bootsy Collins) Bootsy's Rubber Band - Strechin' Out Live 1976

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Well, hell, hbilly, let's do the title song recorded at a San Francisco institution, The Boarding House:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqGnA7xgCg
View Quote

Down where the river bends

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Bachman Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet 1974 Video Sound HQ
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hbilly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVD6Rb9-NGk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqGnA7xgCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVD6Rb9-NGk
Whoa!! Great find! That's a way better sounding recording than what I found!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
What always impressed me about this specific song was its simplicity, and how that hooks you right into it!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Loop Hole Day!!!!!
Coda came out in 1982. (They perfectly times it while I was stationed in Germany. Very Clever of them!!!) However all the songs were recorded (pretty much, but it's loop hole Day) in the '70s!
1  We're Gonna Groove
2  Poor Tom
3  I Can't Quit You, Baby
4  Walter's Walk
We're Gonna Groove (Remaster)
I Can't Quit You Baby (Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#15]
These are some of their rockingist and a blueseist song(s) ever!! None of that 17 Century English music style in this group!!!
1  Ozone Baby
2  Darlene
3  Bonzo's Montreux
4  Wearing and Tearing
Bonzo's Montreux (Remaster)
Wearing and Tearing (Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#16]
And today, Gentle readers, we exhibit the last album of the Mighty Led Zeppelin. The following year of In Through the Out Door's release, John Bonham would follow in the foot steps of other greats like Bon Scott, thus ending the band. Sad note, yes, but we still have some of the finest music ever recorded. I still can't think of a song that I wouldn't listen to a couple of times in a row. And now on with the show!!!
1  In the Evening
2  South Bound Saurez
3  Fool in the Rain
4  Hot Dog
5  Carouselambra
6  All My Love    -   another one of those great boy/girl love songs that they managed to do. Yes, I'm being bigoted!
7  I'm Gonna Crawl
South Bound Saurez (Remaster)
Fool in the Rain (Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#17]
A disco sorbet to cleanse your palate.

Joe Tex ~ Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) 1977 Disco Purrfection Version
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#18]
chuck wagon & the wheels
disco sucks
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion (Audio)

Because it ROCKS
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: solid] [#20]
delete
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrywellDweller] [#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
FLEETWOOD MAC - Albatross (1970 UK TV Performance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
bondo!!!! You're in my head!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!

So today I was going to introduce the original line up of Fleetwood Mac that existed for about three years until LSD and mental illness joined the group along with Christine MacVie!   I make the joke!! She's very talented. (Bob Welch also joined and the original Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac was gone.) They all originally came from John Mayall's Blues Breakers a phenomenal group of the '60s and sort of fell out of popularity as music changed in the early '70s.

But, really nothing compares to the original. Now, I don't know if bondo works for the NSA or the FBI and they scanned my computer, but first up is The Green Manalishi (with the Two-pronged Crown.) This was recorded in Boston in 1970, so Loop Hole Day has turned into Loop Hole Week!!!!!
Fleetwood Mac ? The Green Manalishi ? Live In Boston 1970 [HQ Audio]

Now, if you like that one, plus bondo's choice, somebody put together over three hours of those Boston shows into one youtube link. It's the weekend, so listen to it when you can. It really is great stuff!!!!
Fleetwod Mac -Live in Boston 1970 HDCD Remastered Full HQ

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:26:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#24]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:27:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#25]
the green manalishi

Judas Priest - The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#26]
We did early Fleetwood Mac as a way to introduce Mike Vernon. "Who?," the casual man-about-town GDer might ask.

Mike Vernon the producer of Fleetwood Mac, Alvin Lee and Ten Years After, and a number of others that Mike Vernon.

When the British Blues died in the early '70s and club music started to make a rise, a lot of bands without a strong mission statement sort of went adrift as well as producers. In the Music Business, making money is the business. A lot of producers also went into bands, though I can't think of anyone else at this level (Mick Ronson, Tony Viscounti, Adrian Blue) that fronted his own band. The rest were members of the band. Admittedly, this guy doesn't have the presence of a Peter Green or Alvin Lee or the others he produced, but the music is always interesting and ranges to very good to listenable.

I couldn't find a lot of separate songs from Mike Vernon, so we have a song "Brown Alligator" as a bit of an appetizer. If you like it then check out the bits and pieces of two albums that were on youtube.
Mike Vernon - Brown Alligator
Mike Vernon = Bring It Back Home - 1971 - (Full Album )
Mike Vernon - Moment Of Madness [Full Album] (1973)

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:02:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#27]
My great an grandparents still lived...I was in love with Stevie nicks an there was a 100 million or more fewer people in my country.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Alabama Getaway

Alabama Getaway (Live at Oakland Auditorium Arena, December 26, 1979)
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Alabama Getaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOySHAiJv0I
View Quote
This song is up there with "Truckin'." Couldn't articulate why it's good, though. It's just good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Without doubt the greatest debut album is.......
Boston.
I'm pretty sure most of you know the background story, and I could end that with "17 million units sold." But, behind all that, there is the story of how with that kind of success available to contract management and a record label if they just let the MIT nerd do his thing his way, all contract management and the label did was complain and complain and complain. Tom Sholtz may be the one guy that defied the rule that they won't let you succeed and be famous unless they can make money off of you.
Fortunately, for the rest of us, we get to listen to a great album!!!
1  More Than a Feeling
2  Peace of Mind
3  Foreplay/Long Time
Boston - Peace of Mind (Official Audio)
Boston - Foreplay / Long Time (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#31]
4  Rock & Roll Band
5  Smokin'
6  Hitch a Ride
7  Something About You
8  Let Me Take You Home Tonight
Boston - Rock & Roll Band (Official Audio)
Boston - Smokin' (Official Audio)
Boston - Hitch a Ride (Official Audio)
Boston - Something About You (Official Audio)
Boston - Let Me Take You Home Tonight (Official Audio)

I didn't realize that whoever put the videos together added titles! Thanks whoever you are!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#32]
You people ready for the second greatest debut album ever? Are you ready to Rock?!?!!! Are you ready to Roll?!?!!!!
Van Halen literally came out of nowhere!! (If I were to use a map, I believe it's Pasadena, CA.)
10 million units!! Considering at the time, Certified Gold meant 500,000 units "shipped." The other thing that happened with Van Halen was that they changed American music in both good and bad ways. Eddie Van Halen popularized the "tapping" technique by making it "showier." (Not a real word, but most people who played an amplified guitar or bass had been hitting a string on the fret board without using the striking hand. How else do you take a swig of beer and not stop playing. Professionalism!!!!!)
But, then we got the LA Hair Bands! Some were really good and some of those became popular. Some were bad and also became popular. Oh well.
1  Runnin' with the Devil
2  Eruption
3  You Really Got Me
4  An't Talkin' 'bout Love
5  I'm the One
Runnin' with the Devil (2015 Remaster)
You Really Got Me (2015 Remaster)
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (2015 Remaster)
I'm the One (2015 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#33]
1  Jamie's Cryin'
2  Atomic Punk  -  this was the unofficial theme song of the offensive line of the 1978 CCS Champion Oak Grove Eagles. We meet at my house and listen to this song a bunch of times before suiting up for a game.
3  Feel Your Love Tonight
4  Little Dreamer
5  Ice Cream Man
6  On Fire
Jamie's Cryin' (2015 Remaster)
Atomic Punk (2015 Remaster)
Feel Your Love Tonight (2015 Remaster)
Little Dreamer (2015 Remaster)
Ice Cream Man (2015 Remaster)

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Today is Blue Oyster Cult Day!!! One of my all time favorite bands: Great musicianship, great music, great lyrical content. The music is also fun!!! Not much here to complain about!! BOC and Vanilla Fudge are probably the two greatest New York bands based on sales, concert tickets and impact/influence of other musicians.
Secret Treaties has some really great songs on it.
1  Career of Evil
2  Subhuman
3  Dominance and Submission
4  ME 262 - This song! For those that know about WWII and the first operational jet fighter, this song takes Adolf Galland's unit and gives them the attitude and personas of '60s-'70s rock stars.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#35]
All of these songs are pretty damn interesting even the ones that are fantastical. Much of the content came from poems which are always problematic to understand meaning you have to have some inside knowledge. For example, "Suzy" is in two of the songs on the album. I don't think things ended well with her.
1  Cagey Cretins
2  Harvester of Eyes
3  Flaming Telepaths
4  Astronomy

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#36]
The Clash
First two albums. Depending on which country you lived in, the first two records were different and released in a different order. Not sure why, but for the sake of conversation, I do have a theory: although The Clash looked like a punk band, went through personnel like a punk, kind of sounded and acted like a punk band, they really weren't a punk band. They never self-destructed which is what every real self-respecting punk band does. Plus, lyrical content was really on a different plane.
So here are cuts from the first two albums which again were released in a different order with song variations depending on the country for some reason.
Janie Jones
White Riot
What's My Name
Deny
Police & Thieves
The Clash - Janie Jones (Official Audio)
The Clash - White Riot (Official Video)
The Clash - What's My Name (Official Audio)
The Clash - Deny (Official Audio)
The Clash - Police & Thieves (Official Audio)

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Next time The Clash show up here, we introduce the nexus connections between The Clash and Blue Oyster Cult. Tell your Grandparents!!!!!!!
Give 'Em Enought Rope
English Civil War
Tommy Gun
Guns on the Roof
Drug-Stabbing Time
Cheapskates
All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts)
The Clash - English Civil War (Remastered) [Official Audio]
The Clash - Tommy Gun (Official Video)
The Clash - Guns on the Roof (Remastered) [Official Audio]
The Clash - Drug-Stabbing Time (Remastered) [Official Audio]
The Clash - Cheapskates (Remastered) [Official Audio]
The Clash - All the Young Punks (New Boots and Contracts) (Remastered) [Official Audio]

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#38]

The Clash - I Fought the Law (Live at the London Lyceum Theatre - 1979)
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#39]
As hbilly has pointed out in posting a song from the triple album Sandinista, The Clash aren't a "punk" band. They're a "Garage Band," and a Great One at that.
A typical punk band not only self-destructs, but their music is closer to a musical ejaculation over the audience in between sneering, spitting and reminding each other how tough they all are because eventually, they'll have to walk out into the parking lot.

The Clash wasn't like that. They're musical style was in the same vein as Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holley, Sunny Curtis. That's where they were, Punk was the new hotness at the time and was just a vehicle to get them somewhere.
London Calling:
London Calling
Brand New Cadillac
Lost in the Supermarket
Clampdown
The Guns of Brixton
I'm Not Down
Train in Vain
The Clash - London Calling (Official HD Video)
The Clash - Brand New Cadillac (Official Audio)
The Clash - Lost in the Supermarket (Official Audio)
The Clash - Clampdown (Official Audio)
The Clash - The Guns of Brixton (Official Audio)
The Clash - I'm Not Down (Official Audio)
The Clash - Train in Vain (Stand by Me) (Official Audio)

Since London Calling is a double album, there's seven songs above, but here's the album in it's entirety for the real fans!
London Calling (Remastered)

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
Right in the middle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3d7QgZr7g
View Quote

Way ahead of his time and an awesome song.

The Boston album changed the music world.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Jerry Jeff Walker "Hairy Ass Hillbillies"
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvlAhTaZiA
View Quote
You have inspired me to change up what was on today's schedule!

But first, I owe you clowns an apology or two. First up, I wrote a tease about the nexus between The Clash and Blue Oyster Cult and then forgot about it. Smart!
Sandy Pearlman was the producer and sort of/kind of designer of the image of Blue Oyster Cult, plus wrote most of the lyrics on Secret Treaties, and on top of all that, he had a girlfriend named Suzy. He also produced Give 'Em Enough Rope by The Clash. Taa Daa!!!

Apology Number Two! I wrote in an above post that The Clash's cover was on Sandinista. I am incorrect. It was a single released some where in Time around when Sandinista was released. 1979 I graduated High School and had to say goodbye to the Best Girlfriend ever as she went off to a Division 1 school on Scholarship. (One hell of an athlete.) 43 years later, things are still a bit hazy!
But, I do regret the mistake.
And Now, on with our Show.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#43]
hbilly's choice made me think of this guy!!!!! Don't know why, but it happened that way!!!!!

Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle. Probably his best album of the '70s. Even the B-side is good. That was always the tricky part of buying albums: what kind of craptastic music would be waiting to ambush you on the B-side? Unfortunately, there was only one way to find out! No worries here. I skipped the two shortest intro songs.
Skipped - Space Intro
1  Fly Like an Eagle
2  Wild Mountain Honey
3  Serenade
4  Dance, Dance, Dance
5  Mercury Blues - Best cover of    this song ever! Not evah, but ever!

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#44]
B-side had two hit singles! That doesn't not really happen.
1  Take the Money and run
2  Rock'n Me
3  You Send Me - complete with Cheech and Chong audio clip
Skipped - Blue Odyssey
4  Sweet Maree
5  The Window

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#45]
You have inspired me to change up what was on today's schedule!

But first, I owe you clowns an apology or two. First up, I wrote a tease about the nexus between The Clash and Blue Oyster Cult and then forgot about it. Smart!
Sandy Pearlman was the producer and sort of/kind of designer of the image of Blue Oyster Cult, plus wrote most of the lyrics on Secret Treaties, and on top of all that, he had a girlfriend named Suzy. He also produced Give 'Em Enough Rope by The Clash. Taa Daa!!!

Apology Number Two! I wrote in an above post that The Clash's cover was on Sandinista. I am incorrect. It was a single released some where in Time around when Sandinista was released. 1979 I graduated High School and had to say goodbye to the Best Girlfriend ever as she went off to a Division 1 school on Scholarship. (One hell of an athlete.) 43 years later, things are still a bit hazy!
But, I do regret the mistake.
And Now, on with our Show.....
View Quote

"the show must go on"

Pink Floyd - The Show Must Go On [long version]
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Today, Gentlemen, you will all Eat a Peach. Tomorrow, we'll have a Mystery Guest.

The Allman Brothers Band was a band you needed to see live. I don't know how they did it, but even if you weren't a fan when you walked in, you were one by the time you walked out. It's a shame that the labels that manufactured their record discs didn't give a shit about what they were doing. Allman Brothers Band CDs were taken from terrible tape recordings. I don't know if anyone has ever taken the time to remaster those. That is a shame.

So, about that mystery guest!!! Hint: our Mystery Guest has played on both Steve Miller Band and Allman Brothers Band recordings, plus, this one more thing the Mystery Guest has with Gregg (I don't know why two 'g's; guy's middle name is Lenoir or something like that) Allman:

Please to enjoy, Eat a Peach
1  Ain't Wastin' Time No More
2  Les Brers in A Minor
3  Melissa
4  Mountain Jam
The Allman Brothers Band - Melissa (Lyric Video)
Mountain Jam (Theme From “First There Is A Mountain”) (Live At The Fillmore East, March 12 &...

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#47]
Allman Brothers Band recordings done at both Fillmore East and West are great live recordings. I saw the Fillmore East on youtube. We shall listen to that one later on.
One Way Out (Live At Fillmore East, June 27, 1971)
Trouble No More (Live At The Fillmore East, March 12 & 13, 1971)

ETA: I forgot the song list!!! This will look bad on the performance review!!!!
1  One Way Out
2  Trouble No More
3  Stand Back
4  Blue Sky
5  Little Martha

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Mystery Guest! Will you, please, sign in!!!!!!!
Click To View SpoilerIf you picked him, give yourself 10 Arfcom points!!!! Oh what the hell! It was a hard one. 12 points!!
Great session guitarist. Played on lots of people's albums. (There's another great session guitarist named Waddy Wachtel we should look into. I don't think he's done anything but great guitar music, but we'll check him out for unamerican activities just to be safe.)
Getting back to Les Dudek, I don't understand the Cher thing after the divorce from Gregg with two 'g's. She's got to be one charming woman, maybe even an enchantress. But, I digress yet again!
1  City Magic
2  Sad Clown
3  Don't Stop Now
4  Each Morning  -  go ahead and skip this one. It's a ballad. I don't know what it is about 1976 and having saught after major hitter
   guitarists record ballads. Makes no sense especially since after all of the attempts to assassinate Air Supply failed. Let them do
   the ballads.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Now, I know what all of you are thinking: "nice parrot." Damn straight, motherfuckers; that is a nice parrot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Oooooooooh! Post number 50!!

On top of the World, Ma!! On top of the World!!!

(Post Whore status, achieved!)
Page / 43
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top