BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People coming in and complaining about the poor highway mileage was (and probably still is) a common complaint at the service desk. Unfortunately the service managers weren't that fantastic at explaining why the hybrid battery doesn't do much at a constant 80mph.
View Quote

Exactly. At that point the drag coefficient is the only thing helping you, with a little help in inclines. That doesn't get you much when you're lugging the battery around.

Highly biased hwy drivers are much better served by a diesel. My Cruze Diesel got 60mpg highway in flat stretches no issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't buy sedans but it doesn't look too bad from the side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually really like it and I'm a truck guy
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I actually really like it and I'm a truck guy
View Quote

Looks REALLY good in yellow.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks REALLY good in yellow.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WeWastUYOho/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Not to steal someone else's joke entirely but that paint color is really continuing the punches at the Integra.

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Back when I had a long commute to work, I had thought about buying a Prius V. My commute is so short now that I only need to buy gas once a month.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually like that quite a bit. At 27k for a new car in 2023 and 57 mpg, can’t go wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I actually like that quite a bit. At 27k for a new car in 2023 and 57 mpg, can’t go wrong.
View Quote

And it's GD's Tier 1 carmaker!
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote

Same. I May get one next time I trade in my work car.
Had a 3rd gen, and liked it too. This one looks better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of want.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you missed a generation. The first gen looked like every other car on the road at the time.

Not to say that wasn't ugly, but it blended in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/5083713870_2705d87987_z-2677619.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/02_Prius-1024x717-2677620.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it looks MUCH better than the previous generations. The first one looked stupid, the second was just very "meh". The most recent one looked like it was trying too hard to be edgy.

The 2023 looks pretty nice. It's not 'perfect' to me, it's not quite 'sexy', but it is a very huge improvement over every previous iteration. The starting price is low enough and it's quite efficient. It would make a good people-mover.

I think you missed a generation. The first gen looked like every other car on the road at the time.

Not to say that wasn't ugly, but it blended in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/5083713870_2705d87987_z-2677619.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/02_Prius-1024x717-2677620.jpg

I said "the first one looked stupid".  
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need to understand, everyone in GD is top tier at everything.
No one is normal or ordinary.
They need $1000 commando pants and $600 tactical backpacks.
They need a race car to take their kids to swimming lessons.
Oh, I'm sorry, Olympic swimming lessons.
View Quote

This is the MOST accurate explanation of GD I have ever heard.  Bravo.  @runcible
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m legitimately considering trading my car in for a Prius Prime. And I’ve always hated the Prius previously…
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Just when the ugliest car on the planet could get no uglier
Toyota crapolla
Makes the ugliest car again
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My favorite car fact of 2023 is that the new Prius is faster and more powerful than the new Integra.
View Quote

yep, the increased the hp, made it better looking and kept the mpg the same. the prius prime is also interesting as you can drive 30 miles or so just on the battery. use it around town and never buy gas....

far as im concerned this is the way to go instead of a pure ev.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m going to get one. I’ll need a new daily driver here shortly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't stand that YouTube car guy, nails on a chalk board annoying...
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They can get up to that speed, but it takes forever. Once they get above 20mph or so the gas engine kicks on and it's a joke. They're like 10sec 0-60 and run something like a 17+ second 1/4mi with a trap speed in the 80s.

Combine this with hypermiling efficiency assholes and voila, slow Priuses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One time I saw a guy doing about 90 on the interstate in a Prius. It can be done. Why do 99.9% of Prius owners refuse to even drive the speed limit?

They can get up to that speed, but it takes forever. Once they get above 20mph or so the gas engine kicks on and it's a joke. They're like 10sec 0-60 and run something like a 17+ second 1/4mi with a trap speed in the 80s.

Combine this with hypermiling efficiency assholes and voila, slow Priuses.

Those numbers Arnt too far off a 1977  firebird trans am 455 v8 with bandit driving… was doing the quarter mile in 16.9@82mph…  
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Those numbers Arnt too far off a 1977  firebird trans am 455 v8 with bandit driving… was doing the quarter mile in 16.9@82mph…  
View Quote

Yeah, but the mid-late '70s were pathetic. V8s with less than 200hp. What a joke, thanks EPA.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yep, the increased the hp, made it better looking and kept the mpg the same. the prius prime is also interesting as you can drive 30 miles or so just on the battery. use it around town and never buy gas....

far as im concerned this is the way to go instead of a pure ev.
View Quote

Personally, I don't see the advantage of buying a Prius Prime and I own a Prius. You're going to pay several thousand for the privilege of maybe 40 miles of range at the most. To me if you want an EV just buy one. If you want to drive longer distances buy a Prius and the 40 mile range is inconsequential. I see the point if you're getting compensated by some state tax credit but otherwise not sure the payback is there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Personally, I don't see the advantage of buying a Prius Prime and I own a Prius. You're going to pay several thousand for the privilege of maybe 40 miles of range at the most. To me if you want an EV just buy one. If you want to drive longer distances buy a Prius and the 40 mile range is inconsequential. I see the point if you're getting compensated by some state tax credit but otherwise not sure the payback is there.
View Quote

The price difference for the next gen Prius is 1.5k, so it's as close as it's ever been. The low mpg difference between the two certainly extends the payoff time. As you put it, it's probably at it's most benefit when you can exploit the EV nature in some way or another. Other than tax benefits, a great example is my cousin gets free EV charging at the office so a Prime would net him practically free commuting over the standard.

Personally I think the Rav4 prime is the more enticing vehicle at that point given you are getting the roominess of an SUV and a much clearer benefit in the mileage department, but it also is more money and likely will be in higher demand for some time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same. My commute is 40 miles each way so that would be basically no benefit to me, however yellow that I see in the shots only seems to be on the Prime model. Color is important to me anyway, so I'd justify it as a $1,500 color option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
New Corolla MSRP is 21k, Prius is 27k.  They get the same mileage on HWY, 41 mpg.  City?  Advantage Prius, but the extra 6k is going to take a long time to break even with the small savings.  If it's primarily highway driving, it's dumb to pay the extra money for the Prius when it's not any more fuel efficient than the Corolla.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New Corolla MSRP is 21k, Prius is 27k.  They get the same mileage on HWY, 41 mpg.  City?  Advantage Prius, but the extra 6k is going to take a long time to break even with the small savings.  If it's primarily highway driving, it's dumb to pay the extra money for the Prius when it's not any more fuel efficient than the Corolla.
View Quote

New Prius is rated for 56 on the highway which is a pretty big upgrade given the past issues with hybrid on the highway. It also has an interior volume much bigger than both the Corolla and Corolla hatch, apparently.

It's still close enough that it would probably take awhile to break even on costs alone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the 2023 Toyota Prius the best new sedan WORTH the price?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top