Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]

That "Spanish Galleon deck spike" sure looked exactly like the railroad spikes I have.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big big night tonight....

they found another nail

they are all morons
View Quote

The expert they hired to do the metal detecting said it is the same as the many deck spikes he's found near shipwrecks.
The rumor is that there is a ship that was purposely sunk in the area that is now a swamp, which coincidentaly is where they found the spike.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That "Spanish Galleon deck spike" sure looked exactly like the railroad spikes I have.
View Quote

I thought the same thing and was rolling my eyes hard until I did a little research.  That said, it still looked to be a railroad spike in really good condition for being in the mud.  

To the right is a photo of a 16th Century Spanish Nail discovered in North Carolina in 1994 and below are two of the nails discovered here!

Source
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been interested in the series now for about 2 years - I sincerely hope that they find SOMETHING worthwhile. Although, I am tired of red herrings, and this 'galleon spike' sore as heck looked like a railroad spike to me as well, there was too little camera footage (i only saw the episode  it once) for a real identification.

Things like this remind me of ' fake news'... I do not like that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the video of the camera footage for next week? The golden looking stuff.

Also, I thing a 3-d wireframe image of the known or previously discovered real shafts would be cool. only what is KNOWN. Maybe what is suspected in another color. Also, color coded (underground) expedition discoveries.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing and was rolling my eyes hard until I did a little research.  That said, it still looked to be a railroad spike in really good condition for being in the mud.  

http://drakestreasure.com/images/halfspike_1_1.jpg
To the right is a photo of a 16th Century Spanish Nail discovered in North Carolina in 1994 and below are two of the nails discovered here!

http://drakestreasure.com/images/2boatnails.jpg
Source
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source

The first photo says the nail is 5 cm (2 in) long. No definitive scale is given in the second photo, but if the numbers are cm, they would also be 5 cm (2 in) long.

That spike they pulled out of the swamp was a heck of a lot bigger than 2 inches long. I can't picture needing to use something as big as their swamp find to secure decking.

I'm sticking with my assessment of "railroad spike."

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call them morons.  They are using their hard-earned savings to go after something that's been a mystery for hundreds of years.  At least they'll find out if the mystery is a hoax or not.  That's a lot more than I've ever done in my lifetime.

I really like these guys.  They're genuine and likeable, which is the total opposite of any other reality show star out there.  I feel that it's dragging on, though, and a major discovery needs to be made this season or they'll have to close up shop.
View Quote

No really....

They are morons.   They have no clue what they are doing.

give me that hydraulic hoe and two articulating dump trucks and I would have the whole swamp down to virgin ground in a week.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#9]
They aren't morons, they are entertainers and did figure out a way to extract "treasure" from the story - They turned it into a TV series and that is how they are able to extract money and fame from it.  Not stupid at all, the show's scripting of events is stupid and I think they over play the discoveries like a spike (railroad)
I'm sure more has gone into the exploration intelligently than we see - I suspect they know no treasure exists and are playing it for whatever the show can generate.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They aren't morons, they are entertainers and did figure out a way to extract "treasure" from the story - They turned it into a TV series and that is how they are able to extract money and fame from it.  Not stupid at all, the show's scripting of events is stupid and I think they over play the discoveries like a spike (railroad)
I'm sure more has gone into the exploration intelligently than we see - I suspect they know no treasure exists and are playing it for whatever the show can generate.
View Quote

Only treasure ever "found" on that island was the suckers supporting the show. (I was part of the sucker group for awhile)
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Years ago, I once had a long conversation about the Oak Island mystery with the son of a very well known professional treasure hunter (who actually found millions of $$$ worth of Gold, Silver and other valuables). He told me that in the '70s, his Father spent an entire Summer on Oak Island evaluating it as an investment opportunity. He discovered THREE things;

1) EVERY bit of "evidence" supporting the buried treasure claim came from a story that somebody else had told. In fact, NONE of the physical "proof" that there is ANY sort of treasure vault even exists today (if it ever did).

2) What treasure hunters do find is evidence of other treasure hunting efforts. They twist these "discoveries" into vindication that the treasure is real and that they are on the right track.

3) The swamp and the man-made works surrounding it are evidence of a ship that was kareened in this suitable area for extensive repairs and the human efforts involved in all that. This was common practice in the age of wooden sailing ships. It may have been a Spanish Galleon evading the English. It may have been Pirates who could not enter a legitimate port. Whoever it was, it is unlikely they made repairs and sailed away, leaving their treasure behind.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
They already found a board and a nail, gold is always close behind
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Years ago, I once had a long conversation about the Oak Island mystery with the son of a very well known professional treasure hunter (who actually found millions of $$ worth of Gold, Silver and other valuables). He told me that in the '70s, his Father spent an entire Summer on Oak Island evaluating it as an investment opportunity. He discovered THREE things;

1) EVERY bit of "evidence" supporting the buried treasure claim came from a story that somebody else had told. In fact, NONE of the physical "proof" that there is ANY sort of treasure vault even exists today (if it ever did).

2) What treasure hunters do find is evidence of other treasure hunting efforts. They twist these "discoveries" into vindication that the treasure is real and that they are on the right track.

3) The swamp and the man-made works surrounding it are evidence of a ship that was kareened in this suitable area for extensive repairs and the human efforts involved in all that. This was common practice in the age of wooden sailing ships. It may have been a Spanish Galleon evading the English. It may have been Pirates who could not enter a legitimate port. Whoever it was, it is unlikely they made repairs and sailed away, leaving their treasure behind.
View Quote

I'd say that's a fairly accurate assessment.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the original three found a small amount of treasure, split it up, kept their mouths shut and went on about their merry ways either. The modern speculations are simply absurd theater.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The first photo says the nail is 5 cm (2 in) long. No definitive scale is given in the second photo, but if the numbers are cm, they would also be 5 cm (2 in) long.

That spike they pulled out of the swamp was a heck of a lot bigger than 2 inches long. I can't picture needing to use something as big as their swamp find to secure decking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source

I'll go with you on that, too.  That spike looked way too big and blunt to nail into something that's going to be out on open water.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They already found a board and a nail, gold is always close behind
View Quote

And that's why I quit my job and am heading home to clean out my garage as we speak...
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd say that's a fairly accurate assessment.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the original three found a small amount of treasure, split it up, kept their mouths shut and went on about their merry ways either. The modern speculations are simply absurd theater.
View Quote

Last season they had some lady visitor who brought with her a gold cross. She claimed was part of a treasure found on the island by one of her distant relatives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]
More wood 174 feet under virgin soil?

Coins from the early 1700's

Maybe some clues.

Still cannot stop watching....
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The Curse Of Oak Island = Reality TV Blue Balls
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]
All that stuff they dug up with the detector gives quite a bit of credibility to the theory of a military bivouac having set up there back in the day.

My balls are still pretty blue though but I feel like something's about to happen. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe some clues.

View Quote

They should sell some of the small pieces of wood they recover.   Dry it out some and stabilize it with pentacryl (it displaces water in wood and polymerizes, and reduces the odds of it splitting and cracking).   I bet people would buy it for pen turning and small projects.   Especially the timbers with the saw mill marks on them. - they appeared to be OK
Not like they need the money, and wouldn't make a tremendous amount of extra revenue, but it would add some interest to such objects made from the wood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe some clues.

View Quote

Why did I read in the narrator's voice?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some clues.

I did write it in the narrator's voice
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some clues.

A narrator's voice?

The very same voice that poses unanswerable question after unanswerable question?

Could it really be possible this style of narration has been so ingrained into your psyche that you begin to read every question and series of questions in the same tone and cadence as the narrator?

A narrator's voice, or THE narrator's voice?...

As another day dawns on ARFcom, questions remain. Do I buy a suppressor now or do I wait for the HPA to clear? Which suppressor do I buy? What's the best lower for an M4 clone? What's in the safe? Should I let my girlfriend/wife attend a pool party?

Only time will solve these riddles and unlock the answer these questions, and so many more.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Good lord.... That narrator. I never noticed it until this thread. Now I'm screaming at the tv every time he says "could it be"!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
"Could it be?....  a rock shaped like a Templar cross?"
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Could it be?....  a rock shaped like a Templar cross?"
View Quote

Could it be.....an ancient nuclear waste repository?
Could it be. ....this life and history of it has been repeated over and over?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Chatterton heading down to dive the new bore hole now.

Could it be........
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#29]
....as ancient astronaut theorists predict?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Could it be......a man made cave 170 feet below sea level?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Could it be.......................that it's all Bullshit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I think they jumped the shark last night.

As if they didn't know about the face statues before , come on....
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]
The editing and narrating are really bad.
The brothers are legit though. The owner of scubaboard is one of the divers on the show. He said they were searching before the History Channel approached them about making a show and will keep going if it gets dropped.
All of the drama and bullshit is the producer and director.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I missed it by watching the Black Sails reruns on Starz.
what happened?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

what happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what happened?

They found a rock 50 miles away that has a face on it looking at Oak Island that proves the Templars were there.
I couldn't see the face until they outlined it. It just looks like a rock to me. I also wonder why they would carve a rock and point it that far away. They sais something about a ship sering it but that is one rock among thousands. It doesn't stand out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
They need to get Todd Hoffman on site.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
The show would stand on its own with out all the "could it be" bs. Its seriously gotten annoying. The producers could leave that part out and explore the story with a standard documentary format, and it would still be captivating. I joked with my wife, last week. Could it be, a bronze casting of big foot poop from Rodins dark period. I wouldn't say they jumped the shark, more like "found the bullet". The speculation on the shell casing .
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I keep watching I guess because. ...I don't know why
They are really grasping at straws now, that "rock face" was a real stretch. The guys that chiseled it were not very good or its JAFR. Yes it's probably stood up, but dang....get a grip.
There must be enough money in the TV show to keep going because they're losing their asses otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I keep watching I guess because. ...I don't know why
They are really grasping at straws now, that "rock face" was a real stretch. The guys that chiseled it were not very good or its JAFR. Yes it's probably stood up, but dang....get a grip.
There must be enough money in the TV show to keep going because they're losing their asses otherwise.
View Quote

Almost the entire first season was dedicated to the off-shoot filler episodes.  They even did a haunting episode.  Thankfully this season has much less of those, but it's pretty obvious you can tell when one is coming on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe next week will turn something up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They found a rock 50 miles away that has a face on it looking at Oak Island that proves the Templars were there.
I couldn't see the face until they outlined it. It just looks like a rock to me. I also wonder why they would carve a rock and point it that far away. They sais something about a ship sering it but that is one rock among thousands. It doesn't stand out.
View Quote

A older episode this season had them find a rock in someone's backyard that they claim had a Templar cross on it.
I'm done with it
I think
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have been interested in the series now for about 2 years - I sincerely hope that they find SOMETHING worthwhile. Although, I am tired of red herrings, and this 'galleon spike' sore as heck looked like a railroad spike to me as well, there was too little camera footage (i only saw the episode  it once) for a real identification.

Things like this remind me of ' fake news'... I do not like that.
View Quote
Do ya think?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Given production schedules, and generally the amount of time until an episode airs, you can go use GOOGLE to get a pretty good idea they're going to find NOTHING.

But WAIT, that sonar image looks EXACTLY like a CHEST!  The expert is 90% SURE!

(yeah, I was on the hotel bed last night bored)
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#45]
The preview showed what sure looked like human femur with the airlift of 10X. There's a lot of silt down in that hole who knows what Chatterton was walking around on down there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I just record it now, and fast forward though 95% of the show.  I can watch the whole episode in about 5-10 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
They found a bone.
Could it be an animal which fell down 10x?

Looks a bit like a metacarpal in the limited view so far.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Dave was eating chicken wings and drinking crown by 10x and dropped some bones down the hole.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dave was eating chicken wings and drinking crown by 10x and dropped some bones down the hole.
View Quote

Too big for a wing. A thigh or leg maybe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Sometimes, when  nothing on Cable TV; I like watch people work hard and spend their money
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top