Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I do like how they at least attempt to get space physics correct.  So that's a definite plus in my book.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Camera [Off]

Sex in the airlock...giggity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
No Bull, no care.
j/k, somewhat.

Watching the space parts actually makes me a little depressed.  I've always wanted to live in space or explore another planet, but the show illustrates just How Many Systems have to be developed to make human life functional for long periods.  So it depresses me that we're so far away.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, the UN lady just ordered a Lagavulin for the Admiral.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, the UN lady just ordered a Lagavulin for the Admiral.
View Quote

Vulgar display of power.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've never understood the insistence that all characters in any form of media must have an "arc".  Why can't they just.... exist?
View Quote

because drama (the acting out of a story on stage or screen) is primarily about transformation.  real characters are agonists, struggling to overcome obstacles.  no struggle = no transformation = no catharsis = no drama.  without transformation, a character isn't a real person, because we don't identify with him.  this is as true for the dude (or duder) as it is for the terminator.  terminator is a good example--he just existed in the first movie.  no struggle, no transformation.  the whole point of t2 was his transformation.  this was heightened by the other transformation: sarah becoming a cold, robot-like survival machine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

because drama (the acting out of a story on stage or screen) is primarily about transformation.  real characters are agonists, struggling to overcome obstacles.  no struggle = no transformation = no catharsis = no drama.  without transformation, a character isn't a real person, because we don't identify with him.  this is as true for the dude (or duder) as it is for the terminator.  terminator is a good example--he just existed in the first movie.  no struggle, no transformation.  the whole point of t2 was his transformation.  this was heightened by the other transformation: sarah becoming a cold, robot-like survival machine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never understood the insistence that all characters in any form of media must have an "arc".  Why can't they just.... exist?

Ignoring the Hero’s Journey has been Disney’s greatest failure with their new Star Wars.

Mary Sue has no transformation, she just springs into existence fully a badass.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ignoring the Hero’s Journey has been Disney’s greatest failure with their new Star Wars.

View Quote

Wellll.....to be fair, they obviously tried to do the whole "Farmboygirl to Galactic Hero" journey that Luke had in ANH, in TFA.....but abbreviated it so much (as, unlike in ANH, which is ALL about Luke, TFA tries to run 3 separate character plots for Rey, Fin, and Kylo Ren in the same movie) that there's no time for her to plausibly grow.....and the Force stuff just came to her, unlike Luke (who just had his "feelings" in ANH).
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 3:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

exactly.  the shortcut was based on the feminist/liberal view of sympathy.  we are instructed to pity her because she's a woman and has no parents and is oppressed and such.  not because of what she does, but because of what she is.    

on the hero's journey, the protagonist fucks up and falls and fails (just like us), but keeps picking himself up and trying again (which is what we know we're supposed to do).  it's about action--it's what we DO that matters.  this doesn't create pity--it creates genuine empathy.  

if you're not getting the shit beaten out of you, you're not a protagonist.  the force is female crowd simply doesn't understand that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She's a fantastic character and she gets even better in later seasons.
View Quote

If love to meet her, just to ask how fun it is to film that character

"Whatever you do, don't stick your dick n it because it's already fucked!"

Had to turn to the wife and ask if I heard that right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Highway Star (Belter Version)

Today I make history! Me! Maneo Jung Espino splgooooooooooooooooooosh!
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyGIJl1XUA

Today I make history! Me! Maneo Jung Espino splgooooooooooooooooooosh!
View Quote

Dude, I have been looking for a way to get that song ever since I saw that episode.  
I love the original Deep Purple version but this is just great.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought David Strathairn’s Ashford was one of the best characters on TV in a long time. The way he slung that Belter creole, and the Outstanding screen presence Really stole each scene he was in.

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought David Strathairn's Ashford was one of the best characters on TV in a long time. The way he slung that Belter creole, and the Outstanding screen presence Really stole each scene he was in.

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/David-Strathairn-as-Klaes-Ashford-in-The-Expanse.jpg
View Quote
This.
I hated him at first, then as the show went on, really started to like his character. Then...no breathy the space air.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought David Strathairn’s Ashford was one of the best characters on TV in a long time. The way he slung that Belter creole, and the Outstanding screen presence Really stole each scene he was in.

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/David-Strathairn-as-Klaes-Ashford-in-The-Expanse.jpg
View Quote

TV Ashford was great. Nicely complemented by Kara Gee's Drummer. That speech...

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Especially when she stands next to the guys and you realize she's a big bitch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about the best sci-fi series ever, but it's damn close.

And Amos is a badass, along with Bobbie.

Especially when she stands next to the guys and you realize she's a big bitch

I started to dislike Bobbie by the later books. Turned into a space version of Captain Marvel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I always enjoy the sci-fi that tries hard science.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.
I hated him at first, then as the show went on, really started to like his character. Then...no breathy the space air.

Nick
View Quote

You guys would have loved the book character Bull. In the book, Ashford is just an idiot and a dick, and has no redemption arc. Bull is awesome.

But for some reason in the show, they combined two female characters (Drummer and Michio Pa) and Bull to make TV Drummer.

Don’t get me wrong, I like TV Drummer and Ashford, but would trade them for Bull any day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I started to dislike Bobbie by the later books. Turned into a space version of Captain Marvel.
View Quote

I’ve never watched anything with Captain Marvel, but I think you’re supposed to kind of get annoyed with Bobbie in book 7&8, then she redeems herself.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lol. True.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, Timmy’s got a character arc. Pretty big one.

Lol. True.

We'll see a great deal of Amos on season 5. I hope they somehow manage to get some of the "Churn" book stuff into the show. Just to put into better context his upcoming arc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We'll see a great deal of Amos on season 5. I hope they somehow manage to get some of the "Churn" book stuff into the show. Just to put into better context his upcoming arc.
View Quote

Yeah, Amos on earth in book 5 is my favorite part of the books. I hope they don’t mess that up in the show.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#23]
So, you guys convinced me to keep going.  I said I was starting Season 2 last night.

...I may have stayed up until 2:30AM, and watched episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4 from Season 2.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Yea for a Syfi series it is a good and I am glad that it got picked up when it got canceled. I am looking forward to the fifth session.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Do we know when we're getting the fifth season?
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Cutting Michio Pa was a shame, that would have been a good character. At least Drummer ending up where Michio Pa did in the books will still make sense.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHICKEN!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#28]
4th season wasn’t unwatchable but it was disappointing
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

47 posts a day how the hell did you even have time to watch it? Season 4 did suck though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Suit up.  We're going on a hunt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Earth is about to get it's shit pushed in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

47 posts a day how the hell did you even have time to watch it? Season 4 did suck though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well Season 4 was a necessary part of the buildup to season 5, where things pick up just a tad.  Not giving any spoilers from the books.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well Season 4 was a necessary part of the buildup to season 5, where things pick up just a tad.  Not giving any spoilers from the books.
View Quote

I only heard of the exapnse a few weeks ago and binge watched them all. First 3 seasons were awesome while 4 was ok. So excited for the next one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you haven’t read the books don’t give up on the show. The next season is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you haven’t read the books don’t give up on the show. The next season is going to be fun.
View Quote

Books 5/6 are the best books IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I can only rewatch season 1-4 so many times! When is season 5 dropping?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

She is one of my favorite characters.
View Quote

She does an awesome job for a well written character.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Took me a couple of episodes to actually start enjoying the show.  Put it on while using the elliptical, so it's easy to space out to, but it was just so strange trying to get a handle on some of the plots and things going on in the show.

After about the 3rd episode it picked up and I started wanting to know what happened next and thinking about what was going to happen.  Amos makes the show in my opinion, and he is fantastic in Season 4.

Looking forward to Season 5.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Amos is the man

Amos Burtons' Best Moments | The Expanse | Prime Video
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I found it by accident and binged the first 4 seasons a few months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing season 5 and I'm hoping they don't replace the pilot
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It is one of my favorite shows so far.
Hell, it is better than Firefly.

Season 4 was a let down for sure, no big space battles, no big plot changes.

I was looking forward to more aliens.

However, I'm still excited for Season 5.

View Quote

Book 4 was the hardest to get through as well, but it's needed to tie the 1st half and 2nd half of the series together.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can only rewatch season 1-4 so many times! When is season 5 dropping?
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Love the show. Season 4 wasn't as good but I love the mystery and intrigue behind it all.

I'm holding out on reading the books until the show's over so I don't spoil it
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

She is one of my favorite characters.
View Quote

Me too,

Chrisjen Avasarala interrogates sergeant Bobbie Draper while peace talks
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Books 5/6 are the best books IMHO.
View Quote

Didn’t realize some of you kept up on the books
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven’t. Nerdrotic has contacts in the show and he said next season should be well written BUT that the show better improve its marketing which he described as a shit show during season 4
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Just finished the novellas. The Churn, Strange Dogs and Auberon added some nice backstory to the series.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I want a "I am that guy" PVC patch so bad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got nothing more to add other than two of my favorite moments in all of TV.  Not necessarily my "favorite" moments, but definitely top ten:

https://image.ibb.co/de6Oad/tumblr_p8uubfukba1r30atgo3_540.gif

https://66.media.tumblr.com/66c92b7837835cd6f6c4bb4b0e8c6bbe/9f3314341c3b1bc1-78/s500x750/a9db5e2bf41a5dd54c7146440874c83d3e8b2e9b.gifv

I want a "I am that guy" PVC patch so bad

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Lol....my son laughed so hard at that part I almost had to stop the show so he didn't miss anything
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone know when is the last book supposed to be released?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top