BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 9:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#1]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Link

Some major milestones are becoming frustratingly unattainable for many families, helping to create economic pessimism that hangs over the election.

The standard 20% down payment on a median-priced home now costs 83% of a year’s income for the typical family ready to buy a home, up from 65% on the eve of the 2016 election, according to Bloomberg calculations. Buying a new car takes almost two extra weeks of work for the median household compared to eight years ago. Child care then cost the same family about a quarter of its weekly income. Now it swallows up more than a third.

View Quote

This is true.
Read Victor Davis Hanson's "The Dying Citizen" and you'll see how the influx of low skill individuals that do not contribute to the society, are a drain on it, use the resources available, housing, food, medical, etc, mix in the "welfare society" that uses "indigenous/US" citizens to squander the same resources, toss in a healthy dose of inflation devaluing your dollars, that aren't spent keeping your head above the waterline, and it's pretty hard to not become pessimistic.
Spending $7 three times a day for "coffee" and splurging on avocado toast at the local bistro 4 times a week doesn't help the newest generation acquire or build wealth, but at this point, I don't know if even Dave Ramsey could coach them out of the economic situation were in.
Link Posted: Today 9:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyg83] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
"As US Election Day approaches, inflation is largely tamed and wage gains have lifted incomes."

Propaganda masquerading as commentary.
View Quote

It’s true, inflation is now manageable.  Pay no attention to that massive sheer faced mountain that was 2020 to 2023.  But once you climb that impossible precipice, tis but a gentle rolling undulation.
Link Posted: Today 9:41:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#3]
Originally Posted By FJB247:
It a combination if many things from a fucked up economy to a fucked up sense of "needs."

It seems like the things that I thought were luxuries when I was young, and busted my ass to pay for, are now considered needs that you are entitled to.

As a grown ass man who can afford it, I still can't fathom paying someone almost as much as the meal to deliver fast food to me. I also ate alot of home cooked rice, beans, ground beef, pasta, and chicken breast when I was young and trying to save.

If we all lived like our grandparents we'd have more money in our pockets and less material stuff in our lives.
View Quote
Look at Mr. PennyWorth here with his fancy meat and pasta. I only eat beets and drink water.

Bootstrap more bootstrappy..
Link Posted: Today 9:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macros73] [#4]
Middle class, rapidly on my way to lower class or dead under a bridge.

I blame both parties for letting the national debt get to where it is today, the increase in cost for education, housing, and healthcare, and Covid. Off-shoring and outsourcing. You could impose tariffs, but that'll cause even more inflation as companies pass the added costs on to the consumer.

"Middle skill" jobs are going to get increasingly hollowed out by automation.

It's a cliche to say now, but I should have been a plumber or electician.

More cash is accumulating in fewer hands, and I don't believe anymore that the pie is ever expanding. There aren't infinite resources in the world, but there is infinite desire for resources.

Good luck to all of us trying to make ends meet.
Link Posted: Today 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

The whole "college degree required" is outrageous. I've seen listings for 19/hr that require a college degree.
View Quote

My oldest two boys dropped out of high school at 15, started working full time as well as rebuilding engines after work for fun, and took and passed their GED at 18.

Now at 22 and 20, they own their own tractor trailer engine rebuilding business, and they are working every daylight hour 6 days a week.  They are swamped with work.  I guess what I am trying to say, is hard work, dedication, and the willingness to get dirty is all it takes.

I do not believe a college degree is needed. I have three of them.
Link Posted: Today 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
People from the 3rd world invading are moving into middle class compared to where they were from while shoving out a shitload of natives.
Link Posted: Today 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lumper:

My oldest two boys dropped out of high school at 15, started working full time as well as rebuilding engines after work for fun, and took and passed their GED at 18.

Now at 22 and 20, they own their own tractor trailer engine rebuilding business, and they are working every daylight hour 6 days a week.  They are swamped with work.  I guess what I am trying to say, is hard work, dedication, and the willingness to get dirty is all it takes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

The whole "college degree required" is outrageous. I've seen listings for 19/hr that require a college degree.

That's great. Congrats to you and your sons.
Link Posted: Today 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I don’t think so either. Though some fields absolutely should have a degree like law, medicine, and engineering.
Link Posted: Today 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
"You'll own nothing, and you'll be happy."  Well, at least the first part came true.
Link Posted: Today 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
There is more opportunity now than ever.  Hell the median income on Only Fans is 5k/yr. Combine that with Your YouTube income and your  podcast sponsorships and you got it fucking made.
Link Posted: Today 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
As a person who has "been there".
1) don't give up, fuck D and fuck R...fuck GD also.
2) Add value to yourself
  a) learn a new skill
  b) take some classes relative to your job/trade
  c) plan your next step in the job you have...find a champion/person in-the-know...work with them
  d) have fun,

I've been there and am retiring comfortably real soon.
Link Posted: Today 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
2) Add value to yourself
  a) learn a new skill
  c) plan your next step in the job you have...find a champion/person in-the-know...work with them
  d) have fun,

View Quote

Wow, just read my post...Good job young boomer...
Link Posted: Today 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By m6z:
What's middle class these days, $100k for a family?

The prices on everything is too damn high!
View Quote
The middle class is dead. They drowned in debt trying to keep up the illusion of middle classness. All that's left are the rich and the poors,  now to the back of line for the soup kitchen.
Link Posted: Today 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

That's not bad... You know if I ever went the dating app route it would be a must.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
More government interference in the voluntary exchanges of goods and services between individuals (the free market) always results in less economic mobility.
@556Cliff

found your new Tinder bio, babe.

@SturmgeschutzIII
@RTX
@RedAngus
@CRSSBNS

That's not bad... You know if I ever went the dating app route it would be a must.

I always thought this was place was mostly a sausage party, and (hopefully) not Tinder.
Link Posted: Today 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m doing my part to make the middle and upper classes possible. I take every opportunity to be low class.
Link Posted: Today 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
2) Add value to yourself
  a) learn a new skill
  d) have fun,

Link Posted: Today 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
Breaking into the middle class implies this is about the working class.   In average areas, this is mathematically at about $24/hour to hit $50k annually.  

There's pretty much no excuse not to be at $20/hour.

It's doable long term if you live cheap.  Adding a kid in makes it pretty impossible.  

People need to investigate harder but higher paying gigs.  

View Quote

Today, I honestly don’t see how $50k is middle class. That’s barely surviving.
Link Posted: Today 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#18]
inflation
Link Posted: Today 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]

I always thought this was place was mostly a sausage party, and (hopefully) not Tinder.
View All Quotes
More government interference in the voluntary exchanges of goods and services between individuals (the free market) always results in less economic mobility.
@556Cliff

found your new Tinder bio, babe.

@SturmgeschutzIII
@RTX
@RedAngus
@CRSSBNS

Oh this place certainly is. I think there are like 5 women here on the forums. I have no idea about Tinder though, I don't do dating apps.
Link Posted: Today 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#20]
The American middle class are nothing more than slaves now anyway. How may can afford real assets? The middle class has been turned into an illusion of freedom while the people are denied anything of any tangible or spiritual consequence. Freedom is ownership, ownership of your own time and the ability to work for yourself. The middle class have been conditioned to accept their  serfdom.
Link Posted: Today 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Sir this is GD and we bitch about employees getting raises because the shareholders need that money
Link Posted: Today 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mo98:
The middle class is dead. They drowned in debt trying to keep up the illusion of middle classness. All that's left are the rich and the poors,  now to the back of line for the soup kitchen.
View All Quotes

Now that you mention it, thinking back the middle class started shrinking in the 08 crash.

Many mellinials like myself kept our spirits up and dredged through it. Compensated for the suppressed wages working 60/70/80 hrs a week. Had kids, bought a house, rode the modest increase in wages over the years just to taste middle class and have to do it again. In our 40's. Fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:

Now that you mention it, thinking back the middle class started shrinking in the 08 crash.

Many mellinials like myself kept our spirits up and dredged through it. Compensated for the suppressed wages working 60/70/80 hrs a week. Had kids, bought a house, rode the modest increase in wages over the years just to taste middle class and have to do it again. In our 40's. Fucking awesome.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nicodemus7:

You too?
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#24]
Funny, never thought about breaking into middle class - but it is a complete bitch to break out of it.

But really, I always considered middle class mostly a state of mind.  I simply always considered myself middle class.  I am probably lower class with aspirations of being rich.  Don't have to have class to have money.  Growing up we did not have money, but we had pride.

----
sure there is no inflation.  A few years I purchased a 6k boat.  Well, it needed a trailer, and a motor, and well a lot of other work.  It was probably 35k over 10 years.  It got stolen.  I am replacing it.  New boat will be fucking 90k.  Same design hull, same length, 35 more hp...  I wanted a new house 10 years ago.  Figured it would be 500k...  Well now the budget is 1m higher.  Basically the same house.  No inflation,  none, nope...  My old house was bought for 150k, think it would cost 850k now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#25]
hell, i like you.

you can come over to my tent and fuck my sister up the ass.

long drive from TX so pics of sister:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/worlds-hottest-speed-skater-jutta-785324389-1.jpg?w=620
View Quote

Wowee!! I've never Sodomized anyone before, but for your Sister I'll make an Exception!!!

ETA: Please send your Adress and your Sisters name without Delay!!

@JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#26]
bullshit.

lazy millennials just need to bootstrap moar harder.
View Quote

I feel sorry for them for how are they supposed to bootstrap when the boomers are hoarding all the bootstraps?
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fastluck13] [#27]
The middle class propaganda is so much horseshit.

For one, middle class is a distribution of income deciles. No harder or easier than it has ever been to be +/- x% of the mean.

For two, my grandparents had one car. They lived frugally. Cooked their own meals. Didn’t have cell phones. Drank black coffee…at home. No cable. No air conditioning. No internet. The list goes on and on….shit, my childhood was mostly the same.

And shit is expensive now because A) motherfuckers demand $20 to make fries. B) because those same motherfuckers pay those prices. Wah! Nobody can afford a home because of all the millions of other people who could afford a home drove the price up.

Lots of ways to make it out there. Just pick one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll live under a tarp before they make me use the E-mail
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top