Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:21:00 AM EDT
The real and utter stupidity of this "Nobody needs X rounds in a gun" argument is that it opens the door for... and indeed sets a PRECEDENT FOR... similar legislation with future legislatures/representatives.

If the LEFT truly had a clue, they would realize that they will NOT be in power forever... and when they finally overstep and lose (despite their stacking the FSA deck) they have opened the door for a swinging pendulum type change on the other end.

This was a problem with the RIGHT trying to shove crap down the Left's throat, and it has come back to bite them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Why does anyone need a car that goes over 75 mph?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need that food, you don't need that house, you don't need less taxes.

YOU DON''T need that medical procedure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Why does any citizen need a car with more than a 7 gallon gas tank?  That's plenty in 90% of the US to get from one gas station to the next.

You massively reduce the chances of a gas fire in a car accident.

The rest can pay a $200 tax to have a bigger tank.  Oh, and $15 tax every time you fill it up more than 7 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]
All these threads about slippery slopes reminds me of my Godfather's stories of Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Serfs have no need for weapons, the feudal lords have knights to protect them and enforce the law.  sound familiar?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You don't need that book.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need that book.

You don't need those dangerous thoughts.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
As bad as it is now, we are nowhere near the level they would like to take the Nanny State. If we don't fight it now we will hurt even more in the future.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't need your money.  That's why they take more and more of it every year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The proper response is to say "Why is it up to you to decide what I need for me own defense?  Will YOU be responsible if someone is killed becuase they were outgunned by a criminal?  No one ever wished they had a less ammunition capcity or capability in a gun fight."
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I respond with:

Do you have any idea what's going to happen tomorrow?

They generally say "No".

I say "Neither do I" and walk away while they scratch their head, wondering wtf I just meant.

The problem is, the nation is used to believing life will go on as it has for them in their lifetime and they'll always have something to eat, place to sleep, etc.

There is a belief that the nation will always come through.

I other words there is no plan if a low tech monkey wrench gets thrown into the mix and all of a sudden, there's no food at the food place, no gas at the gas place, and the juice is out.

Lets see how the "just in time supply chain works" when most or all of the Interstate road system is shut down in a large segment of the country.

Pop a WMD at the I-40/25 interchange and another at I-10 and I-25 and see how fast you can shut down the entire SW US, since it will also take out rail interchanges, fuel pipelines, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Why do you need to deny my rights?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
You don't need more than one child.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All these threads about slippery slopes reminds me of my Godfather's stories of Vietnam.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#15]
If we don't need the second amendment, they don't need the first.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
You don't need that hot Starbucks' Latte. You might spill it on a child.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I had this discussion with the head trader at a firm I do business with sometimes.
He was lamenting why does anyone need a AR-15 I don't understand.
My retort was why does someone need to live in a 6500 sqft house(He does) ,or have more than one house for that matter(he has 3).
Why does someone need over X amount of money in the bank,you can only spend so much.
He shut his ass up pretty quick ,the next week I saw him and he actually did a mea cupla saying once you start using that question to further your own agenda sooner or later you are on the outside looking in.

We are still free...for now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The first time We the People allowed any infringement of the 2nd Amendment we basically agreed it was NEGOTIABLE.  Like the woman asked at the party if she would sleep with a guy for 1 Million dollars, the second she said yes, the guy starts to negotiate a lower price.  She says "Hey, what do you take me for!?" and his reply is "We already established that....now we are just haggling over price"!   So we should not be surprised when they come back, again and again expecting more and more "reasonable" concessions.  I suppose a swift kick in the nuts would show them we are not "reasonable" anymore, but expect a temper-tantrum in response.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#19]
You dont NEED free speech, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures, or the right to due process, either.  Plenty of people in this world survive just fine without those rights.

But NEED isnt the standard by which we have to justify the exercise or existance of our rights, is it?

Its not called the 'Bill of Needs' for a reason.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why does any citizen need a car with more than a 7 gallon gas tank?  That's plenty in 90% of the US to get from one gas station to the next.

The rest can pay a $200 tax to have a bigger tank.  Oh, and $15 tax every time you fill it up more than 7 gallons.

Stole that...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#21]
The question I keep seeing the left ask that concerns me the most is, "Why do we even need a 2nd Amendment anymore", since the legal argument over the interpretation of the 2nd is basically over.

I read this in an op-ed by idiot actor Matt Modine yesterday. I'd link it but I hated giving Huffpo even my click.
As a nation we cannot be shackled to an archaic 2nd Amendment which is being shielded by a minority of Americans that demand the right to use weapons that are continually killing citizens across our country. Weapons that are creating blood stains on our national conscience that we may never be able to wash away. The Second Amendment was written so far away from this moment in which we are living. Over the decades, our Constitution has been updated and made more civilized and fair by way of amendments. It's time to let go of these weapons that cause such massive suffering to our population.

This is the line of logic that must be parried, and defeated. Unfortunately, if someone doesn't understand that the right to self defense from all threats - criminal, or governmental - doesn't have an expiration date, that will be a tough task indeed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I see what you are saying, and it could be the opening of a slippery slope in other regards, but there is no "slippery slope" when it comes specifically to gun control.  We aren't speculating that one law could lead to another - we KNOW it does because the gun prohibitionists have admitted as much. It's not a slippery slope, it is planned incrementalism.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#23]
You don't NEED that many churches/to attend a specific church.

You don't NEED anything larger than a smart car - unless you have a business that needs a truck, pays special taxes, and drives it only in the approved lanes with a professional, paid driver.

You don't NEED that many kids.

You don't NEED a website of your own.

You don't NEED to read those hardcopy books.  They are wasteful and damaging to the environment.

You don't NEED that much beer.  In fact, you don't NEED alcohol at all.  

You don't NEED those cigarettes.  

You don't NEED an abortion.

You don't NEED a job paying more than $30K/year.

You don't NEED that much toilet paper.

You don't NEED a wood-burning stove.

You don't NEED much of what you have and take for granted every day.  

If you don't stand up for FREEDOM - even the ones YOU don't like - they will eventually take yours away.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#24]
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why does anyone need a car that goes over 75 30 mph?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't need some dirty fucking leftist's permission to exercise my rights.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#28]
...or more than 20 oz of soda....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had this discussion with the head trader at a firm I do business with sometimes.
He was lamenting why does anyone need a AR-15 I don't understand.
My retort was why does someone need to live in a 6500 sqft house(He does) ,or have more than one house for that matter(he has 3).
Why does someone need over X amount of money in the bank,you can only spend so much.
He shut his ass up pretty quick ,the next week I saw him and he actually did a mea cupla saying once you start using that question to further your own agenda sooner or later you are on the outside looking in.

We are still free...for now.

at least he realized that
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The only correct answer is "Yes I do."
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#31]
How about we apply this to EBT?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stole that...

Me too. Posted to FB.

ETA my liberal buddy liked it. He is not an anti gunner though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The real and utter stupidity of this "Nobody needs X rounds in a gun" argument is that it opens the door for... and indeed sets a PRECEDENT FOR... similar legislation with future legislatures/representatives.

If the LEFT truly had a clue, they would realize that they will NOT be in power forever... and when they finally overstep and lose (despite their stacking the FSA deck) they have opened the door for a swinging pendulum type change on the other end.

This was a problem with the RIGHT trying to shove crap down the Left's throat, and it has come back to bite them.

Cite one time when the pendulum has truly swung back to the right.  It is not a pendulum, it is a ratchet.  The left has secured education and the media.  Short of a complete collapse it will continue to rachet left.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cite one time when the pendulum has truly swung back to the right.  It is not a pendulum, it is a ratchet.  The left has secured education and the media.  Short of a complete collapse it will continue to rachet left.

The Concealed Carry revolution of the last 15 years.

More and more people are taking responsibility for their own safety.  It opens the door to other hard questions.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people would say Bush's Patriot Act was a swing of the pendulum to the right. A lot of rights were sacrificed in the pursuit of fighting terror.

Edit; Just realized I used post 556 on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top