Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 10:30:52 AM EDT
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-oklahoma-cop-mistrial-20170708-story.html

Judge Sharon Holmes declared the mistrial on Friday in the case of former Tulsa police officer Shannon Kepler, who was accused of fatally shooting 19-year-old Jeremey Lake in August 2014, not long after Lake started dating Kepler's then-18-year-old daughter, Lisa. Attorneys involved said the jurors deliberated for 2 ½ to three hours.

Kepler told investigators he was acting in self-defense because Lake was armed, but police didn't find a weapon on Lake or at the scene. Lake's aunt said her nephew was reaching out to shake Kepler's hand to introduce himself when Kepler fired.

Pam Wilkins, Lake's aunt, said his extended family is deeply frustrated by the third mistrial.

"But I'm not giving up hope," she said. "We're believing in God and justice for Jeremey."

Jurors in Kepler's previous two trials, in November and February, deadlocked 11-1 and 10-2 in favor of guilt, and Judge Sharon Holmes declared mistrials. Although they couldn't agree on the murder charge, jurors in the first trial convicted Kepler of recklessly using his firearm.

Lake's killing was among a series of fatal shootings of black people by Tulsa-area law enforcement officers in recent years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Not-Guilty.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not-Guilty.
View Quote
Shooting an unarmed man because he tries to shake your hand = Good shoot
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a case of excusable homicide. Let him go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/da-asks-judge-to-hold-former-tpd-officer-shannon-kepler/article_3e0e5205-2a4f-591d-936c-4e3ad5297e5a.html

No gun was found at the scene so Kepler tried telling the jury somehow a dead man put the murder weapon in a trash can in an interview room at the police station.

The gun ended up with no prints or DNA from the victim
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
After three mistrials it's probably about time to call it quits.  Although the guy sounds like someone that shouldn't be a police officer.

"A judge will consider whether to hold former Tulsa Police Officer Shannon Kepler in contempt for telling a jury information that the judge had ruled couldn’t be mentioned in his first-degree murder trial."

"In cross-examination, Gray pointed out that the use of police resources for personal reasons is a violation of Tulsa Police Department policies, which Kepler conceded but said he was willing to break the rules to make sure his daughter was OK."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/da-asks-judge-to-hold-former-tpd-officer-shannon-kepler/article_3e0e5205-2a4f-591d-936c-4e3ad5297e5a.html

No gun was found at the scene so Kepler tried telling the jury somehow a dead man put the murder weapon in a trash can in an interview room at the police station.

View Quote
From past stories, I believe it was the same room his daughter was interviewed in after the shooting.  She was not patted down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
When trying to piss off dad goes wrong

ETA: Knowing absolutely nothing about this case at all, I'm entirely skeptical of the "We were delivery food and water to the local homeless people."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From past stories, I believe it was the same room his daughter was interviewed in after the shooting.  She was not patted down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plausible.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not-Guilty.
Lake's aunt said her nephew was reaching out to shake Kepler's hand to introduce himself when Kepler fired.

Pam Wilkins, Lake's aunt, said his extended family is deeply frustrated by the third mistrial.
Was Wilkins there that night? It doesn't list her as a witness. Seems like speculation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sure muddies the water.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm starting to see a trend here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not surprised that there have been so many mistrials. It seems like everyone here is lying. Well - except the dead guy.

The dad has an obvious motive to lie, and went looking for trouble.

The girlfriend says she doesn't even remember what was said during a heated exchange, just happened to have her back turned, perhaps had missing teeth, and probably liked the guy more than her dad, who dropped her off at a homeless shelter.

The victim's aunt claims he was shaking the dad's hand, but there's no indication she was even there.

One of the victim's neighbors testified she followed her husband outside and tried to render aid to Lake. She said she wrote down what she did after a police officer asked her to fill out a witness statement. But the police officer testified and stated that she made clear in her statement that she heard the gunshots but did not go outside.

ETA: And now we have the possibility that the girlfriend covered for him by picking up the gun and dumping it in an interview room's trash can.

Yeah, I don't envy a single person on those juries. Lots of lies surrounding this case.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised that there have been so many mistrials. It seems like everyone here is lying. Well - except the dead guy.

The dad has an obvious motive to lie, and went looking for trouble.

The girlfriend says she doesn't even remember what was said during a heated exchange, just happened to have her back turned, perhaps had missing teeth, and probably liked the guy more than her dad, who dropped her off at a homeless shelter.

The victim's aunt claims he was shaking the dad's hand, but there's no indication she was even there.

One of the victim's neighbors testified she followed her husband outside and tried to render aid to Lake. She said she wrote down what she did after a police officer asked her to fill out a witness statement. But the police officer testified and stated that she made clear in her statement that she heard the gunshots but did not go outside.

ETA: And now we have the possibility that the girlfriend covered for him by picking up the gun and dumping it in an interview room's trash can.

Yeah, I don't envy a single person on those juries. Lots of lies surrounding this case.
View Quote
Ditto.  Thanks for saving me lots of typing.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#17]
In addition to what has already been stated, did the dad fire and then drive away?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Adopted daughter does lots of fake crying-voice in TV interview.

Says "He was my everything..." about a guy she knew for about a week.

Says she wants her adoptive father and mother to "rot in jail".

Has since lost some teeth to drugs.

I'm guessing Dad finally snapped.  The kid trying to play Captain Sav-A-Ho (who apparently dreamed of one day joining the army) basically just got destroyed by the black hole of her dysfunction.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Adopted daughter does lots of fake crying-voice in TV interview.

Says "He was my everything..." about a guy she knew for about a week.

Says she wants her adoptive father and mother to "rot in jail".

Has since lost some teeth to drugs.

I'm guessing Dad finally snappped.
View Quote
No no, you've got it all wrong. They were delivering the homeless food and water. The black kid that picked her up from the homeless shelter had nothing but the fondest of intentions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#20]
On cross-examination, [defense attorney] pressed [girlfriend] for answers on what happened to some of [victim's] possessions, including a small Ziploc-style bag that the state Medical Examiner’s Office said had “dark particulate residue” inside it. Tulsa County District Judge Sharon Holmes ruled on Thursday that [dad's] attorneys can inform the jury that a Tulsa Police Department property room worker wrongly released some of [victim's] belongings, including a pocket knife and the bag, to [girlfriend].

[Defense attorney] has suggested the bag contained K2 — synthetic marijuana — and that [victim] had used the drug before his death.

It’s not a drug baggie. I know what you’re getting at,” [girlfriend] told [defense attorney], adding later in irritation that “I didn’t ask for (Tulsa police) to give me his s---.
View Quote
Clusterfuck. The defendant, the prosecution, the witnesses, the evidence chain. Just a gigantic clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in a Tulsa suburb, I'm closer to this and I've been keeping up on it.  There's a lot more to the story than some of the media is covering.  

The ex-cop on trial, his wife is also a Tulsa cop.  The daughter is adopted.  The daughter was acting up, so mom & dad kicked her out and dropped her off at a homeless shelter.   In a day or so, dad finds out daughter has a boyfriend.  I think he's bi-racial, but that doesn't matter, even tho the news is saying "black boyfriend".  Dad abused his power, used police records to find out where boyfriend lived.  Mom and Dad take their personal black Tahoe/Suburban to boyfriends house.  Dad is dressed in black, carrying a personal revolver, which I believe is his former service revolver, before they switched to semi-autos.  Daughter says her boyfriend was trying to shake hands with Dad, but Dad says that he thought he had a gun.  Dad shoots boyfriend, but he also shoots AT his daughter as she's running away, and AT another young man.  Tulsa police didn't find a weapon on or near the boyfriend.  I personally think dads theory about someone throwing the weapon away at the station is BS.  

I most always back local PD, and still do back 99.9% of them, but my personal opinion is that dad is guilty as sin on this one.  My opinion of dads lawyer...........he's good at what he does, but he's a scumbag.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like not everyone in America is so eager to see his daughter with a black guy. Maybe there is hope.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In addition to what has already been stated, did the dad fire and then drive away?
View Quote
Yes, dad fled the scene, went and got a lawyer, then dad, cop wife, and lawyer show up at police station.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#24]
So how many more times can they try this guy?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Finding prints or DNA on the weapon is the exception not the rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finding prints or DNA on the weapon is the exception not the rule.
Very much this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So how many more times can they try this guy?
View Quote
The local DA, of whom I'm not a fan of, is "upset that jurors can't come to a verdict".  He's "trying to decide his options on whether to try dad again or not.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Frustrated father of a drug using, run-away daughter (yeah she finally turned 18 but I'm sure there was years of trying to steer her right)....drives to a shity part of town to try and get his daughter to come home. Get's into a shooting with her boyfriend.... Scumbag daughter has the wits to pick the gun up from the scene and it wasn't found until she dumped it in the station...very plausible..
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was Wilkins there that night? It doesn't list her as a witness. Seems like speculation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not-Guilty.
Lake's aunt said her nephew was reaching out to shake Kepler's hand to introduce himself when Kepler fired.

If she's making that up it wouldn't be the first time one of these "victims" family lied to help push the innocent victim angle. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#31]
What people think doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what the jury thinks. Three trails and three juries have be unable to convict.  
It is time to let this one go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Slag
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like not everyone in America is so eager to see his daughter with a black guy. Maybe there is hope.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What people think doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what the jury thinks. Three trails and three juries have be unable to convict.  
View Quote
Per the articles, the votes have been 10-2, 11-1, and 6-6 with the first two leaning toward conviction.  I'm surprised the judge didn't send them back to deliberate more. The article said 2.5-3 hours of deliberation and that seems pretty quick.  Maybe the judge is of the same opinion as you, but given the 21-3 from the first two trials, I don't blame them for going for a 3rd.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Per the articles, the votes have been 10-2, 11-1, and 6-6 with the first two leaning toward conviction.  I'm surprised the judge didn't send them back to deliberate more. The article said 2.5-3 hours of deliberation and that seems pretty quick.  Maybe the judge is of the same opinion as you, but given the 21-3 from the first two trials, I don't blame them for going for a 3rd.
View Quote
Yep and considering the huge shift on the third it suggests something went different.  Maybe a different selection of jurors perhaps new evidence.  Considering this guy was an officer I wouldn't put it past that maybe the prosecution let something slip to the defense in their favor.  Also even if it was defense if this guy went to the dudes house looking for trouble I can see it looking bad for him.  

But honestly this is the first I've heard of this so I don't really care seems interesting though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#36]
He's probably bankrupt after 3 trials.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe The victim called the defendant a "Cracka", in which case he'd be justified to shoot. In south Florida at least.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could have been a furtive move.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]
The lame ass D.A needs to resign. He can't convict Keppler and Charged Shelby after the lead investigator determined that no crime was committed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Slabside thread.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Slabside thread.
View Quote
Bullshit!!!

Aimless posted this...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#45]

My first thought is "Look at the Black kid"?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
What the fuck, the taxpayers are footing the bill.

A bottomless resource, are the taxpayers.

Next year, just squeeze 'em a little harder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top