User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I certainly don't need one, but I think I want one in 6.5.
View Quote

Same here. The main thing standing in my way is the lack of a place to shoot it that will do it justice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Same here. The main thing standing in my way is the lack of a place to shoot it that will do it justice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I certainly don't need one, but I think I want one in 6.5.

It's still cool to shoot at 200. But stretching it out is where it gets really fun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the precision rifles section.  There's an ass load of info there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I really want one, but used prices haven't come down enough to get me to pull the trigger...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my RPR, shot some PMC 168 gr SMK the other day, best group was .416" and the worst was 1.27" (my fault).

With match ammo it's easily a sub-MOA gun.

ETA: Here's my precision AR and my RPR

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would like to see one set up in a lighter weight hunting configuration.  Even better would be if Ruger offered a model like that.  Something like an Ace stock, lightweight handguard, 20-24 inch sporter profile barrel.  That would peak my interest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how often during hard use stuff falls off that stock? I only see pictures of it doing mowed KD range sniping.

Pretty sure that is what it is designed for.  I dont think Ruger ever claimed this was a rifle to be used by SEAL Team 6 snipers.  Its a precision rifle for shooting long range targets at the range

I'm taking mine on a Wyoming antelope hunt. WY too heavy to use as a mountain gun. I figured the weight might be tolerable on a quick goat hunt. I'm also trying to get set to go blast some coyotes with it as well.

I would like to see one set up in a lighter weight hunting configuration.  Even better would be if Ruger offered a model like that.  Something like an Ace stock, lightweight handguard, 20-24 inch sporter profile barrel.  That would peak my interest

That is called the Ruger American Rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That is called the Ruger American Rifle.
View Quote

I might buy a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. But lightening the RPR doesn't make a traditional stocked gun. It makes a lighter chassis gun that takes normal mags and AR-15 accessories.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Still waiting on the 6.5 I ordered 5 months ago. It's ugly as fuck with the Samson rail and the abortion stock. I'm swapping that crap out for an SLR rail and PRS. Other than that mild irritation, it looks to be a great rifle at a great price. I'm paying $998 OTD for it, compared to the Tikka 6.5 I'm piecing together which is already at $1,400 for just the action and barrel so far.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still waiting on the 6.5 I ordered 5 months ago. It's ugly as fuck with the Samson rail and the abortion stock. I'm swapping that crap out for an SLR rail and PRS. Other than that mild irritation, it looks to be a great rifle at a great price. I'm paying $998 OTD for it, compared to the Tikka 6.5 I'm piecing together which is already at $1,400 for just the action and barrel so far.
View Quote

The stock will sell on the EE for $160. Handguard for $150. Gun will shoot. Mine does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I love my RPR, shot some PMC 168 gr SMK the other day, best group was .416" and the worst was 1.27" (my fault).

With match ammo it's easily a sub-MOA gun.

ETA: Here's my precision AR and my RPR

https://i.imgur.com/4fmpv4c.jpg
View Quote

DUDE!!!  SWEEEET!!!!

The PRS is the stock that SHOULD come on the Ruger PR.  PARTICULARLY A GEN III prs !!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The stock will sell on the EE for $160. Handguard for $150. Gun will shoot. Mine does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hard part is picking glass. I'm stuck between Vortex AMG, or an S&B PMII. Going all out on optics this time around
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
This is my next scope. Sightron has done very well for me.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/S-TAC-Series/S-TAC2.5-17.5X56IRMOA/
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The hard part is picking glass. I'm stuck between Vortex AMG, or an S&B PMII. Going all out on optics this time around
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting an AMG could be potentially challenging, unless you get lucky and can snag one from a retailer that isn't having a wait list.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I took my 308 RPR out for the first time this weekend and was very impressed.  Way more accurate than i am

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]

I got a hold of my 6.5 last fall and mounted the Vortex PST 6-24 on it, sighted it in with 3 rounds and was shooting sub-moa 3-round groups from the first couple of mags.  And that was without a bag up front (shooting from an Atlas bipod.)  No hassles, just slap a magazine in it and start shooting pretty good groups.  (Im not sure which I was more impressed with--the rifle or the scope.  Both represent tremendous value, imo.)

I'd like to take it some place where I can shoot if farther than 300 yards.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
At some point I'll get my hands on one in 243.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Love it!!! 6.5 Creedmoor.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Any rumors about a 300 Winchester Magnum version?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any rumors about a 300 Winchester Magnum version?
View Quote

Not that I've heard.  The gun itself would need to be lengthened. Let alone everything else on top of that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah, you people suck.  I've wanted one since they came out.  I was hoping to hear terrible things.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ah, you people suck.  I've wanted one since they came out.  I was hoping to hear terrible things.  
View Quote

Sub-MOA out of the box.
Uses common AR parts.
Available after market upgrades that will make it shoot under 1/2 moa.
Good calibers

Yep. Terrible. Don't buy one. I'll buy a second one in your place for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sub-MOA out of the box.

Uses common AR parts.

Good calibers

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sub-MOA out of the box.

Uses common AR parts.

Good calibers

The worst part is I got the money and the wife supports the purchase.  

Who is the prefered brass/die set for 6.5 CM?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Have an AXMC and a RPR.

Made the RPR into a shorty 16" 308 - 0.5moa or better from 100 - 1moa from 500...

My Samson rail wobbled like a motherfucker so, I swapped to the Seekins - Not an issue since.

Quoted:
View Quote

I went with Reddings - FLS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sub-MOA out of the box.
Uses common AR parts.
Good calibers

I have Hornady dies right now.

Still shooting factory ammo for brass though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Wish I had one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#26]
When they come out with a .338 Lapua (and I expect they will), I'll be on it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not a SEAL sniper or any high speed competition shooter.

Looking at the options of this, a Savage 10T or 700 and then having to change out for a chassis, the gunsmithing time to do it, etc.  The Ruger is the better deal.  I picked mine up for under $900 thanks to an inside deal with a gun shop I worked for.  So for $900 plus glass (Vortex PST 6-24x50) I have a great adaptable precision rifle that will shoot better than me for probably a while.  Even then a simple barrel swap to say a bartlein or whoever will increase the accuracy once again.

I'm very, very happy with mine as a casual distance shooter
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn a unanimous opinion in GD that it is a good rifle
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

I may have been wrong about GD.  We can't agree on tits, but we love this rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 G2 reticle Model number ET6245FG

It's been a good scope. I picked it up just over $800. It was between this and the Vortex PST 6-24x. I kinda wish I picked up the Vortex for the zero stop. I really do like the G2 reticle though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of scope is that?

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 G2 reticle Model number ET6245FG

It's been a good scope. I picked it up just over $800. It was between this and the Vortex PST 6-24x. I kinda wish I picked up the Vortex for the zero stop. I really do like the G2 reticle though.

I have the Vortex PST FFP in 6-24 and the EBR 2C reticle is freaking awesome.  I put it on my Browning A-Bolt in 300 WM and shot a 2.75 inch group at 350 yards.  It's a keeper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When they come out with a .338 Lapua (and I expect they will), I'll be on it.
View Quote
Why do you expect that?  I'm not saying it isn't possible, but the rifle is an out of the box PRS style shooting rifle.  338 has no place in that style if shooting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I may have been wrong about GD.  We can't agree on tits, but we love this rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why oh why do I read posts like this?!?!

Dear Santa:
For Christmas I want a Ruger Precision Rifle in additional all that other stuff I asked for in my other letters.

five months and counting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I've not found someone that sold the gun because they were unhappy with it. A few precision gun snobs still shoot their high dollar builds more, but say the RPR is great for the money. Everyone so far seems to really like them. The rest of us love it. Especially the 6.5.

I love boobs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Took the new 6.5 CM RPR out for the first time today.

Hornady 140gr factory loads. Got it on paper. Zeroed at 100 yards with 3 holes touching. With a bipod and no sandbags.

I'm not one to sit all day making holes in paper. So we went to the 1000yd range with gongs every 100yd to 1000. Made a guess at elevation based on what the guy I was shooting with had in his scope for his .308. First shot, I hit the 1000yd gong 3inches to the left of center at the elevation of the painted dot. It was a freshly painted gong. Sounds lucky and absurd right? Over the next little bit we shot a total of 30 rounds out of each rifle solely at the 1000yd gong. We hit it a total of 34 times. Half of those shots were taken by our 11yr old sons.

I consider the RPR money well spent.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd be all over one in 5.56 if I had any money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd be all over one in 5.56 if I had any money.
View Quote

I bet
.243win
6.5CM
.308win

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#37]
So I guess the last question would be, how is the trigger compared to something like the Larue LMT?

Closing on my old house today and about to have some cash in the bank.  Working from home today, so I may run over to the gun shop on my break.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So I guess the last question would be, how is the trigger compared to something like the Larue LMT?

Closing on my old house today and about to have some cash in the bank.  Working from home today, so I may run over to the gun shop on my break.  
View Quote
It's nothing like a two stage AR trigger.  It's a pretty light single stage trigger. It is okay to me.  Timney will be releasing a two stage trigger for it.  Still nothing like an AR trigger but should be very nice if it is anything like their two stage 700 triggers
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a single stage trigger and 2 lbs lighter than an MBT.

I really like the trigger on mine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how often during hard use stuff falls off that stock? I only see pictures of it doing mowed KD range sniping.

Pretty sure that is what it is designed for.  I dont think Ruger ever claimed this was a rifle to be used by SEAL Team 6 snipers.  Its a precision rifle for shooting long range targets at the range

I'm taking mine on a Wyoming antelope hunt. WY too heavy to use as a mountain gun. I figured the weight might be tolerable on a quick goat hunt. I'm also trying to get set to go blast some coyotes with it as well.

you can certainly set it up that way, but it comes configured with long range paper punching in mind. give it time, somebody will make lightweight shorty barrels for it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top