Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back when 7.62x25 was retarded cheap, I always thought a PCC in that would be a screamer.
View Quote

I just went to look at my chrono data and realized I never put any of the surplus 85gr stuff on the clock. I was messing with 7.62 Mini-Whisper (a Tok case using a heavy .308 bullet in an AR mag) with 147-180gr projectiles before 300BO became a thing, but I never got speeds of the Commie surplus stuff from the 10" 7.62x25 AR. Maybe I'll rectify that if I pick up a 7.62x25 pistol and just resign myself to actually cleaning guns after a range trip
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both a CZ vz. 82 and a Yugo M57 Tok. If forced to pick one, I'd take the vz. 82.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Tokarev - the tradition NKVD weapon for execution.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
East German Makarov for me.
View Quote

This. My E. German Mak is one of the nicest made guns I owned.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tokarev - the tradition NKVD weapon for execution.  
View Quote

I think they used these more.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Mak, carried it for years, very reliable. Accurate but the sights are too small.

I wish ammo was cheap, it was a fun plinker.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Zastava M57 for the win.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tokarev because of the caliber. I had a 9x18 Mak 25 years ago that sucked ass.
View Quote

I absolutely loved my makarov, super reliable and accurate. I wish I had bought a dozen of them back when they were around $100.00. Circa 1989 etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PISTOL OF TOKAREV IS ORIGINAL HAND WEAPON OF PIERCING ARMOR VEST. SURE, IS CHEAP TO MAKE AND CHEAP TO BUY BUT IS REVERENT CONTENDER TO SUPER EXPENSE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL.

ALSO HAS COOL SOVIET STAR ON GRIPPING PANEL. WITH THIS DESIGN YOU ARE LOOK LIKE STAR OF COLD WAR, NO?
View Quote
BIG TOKAREV BURNS BIG COAL
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Can makarovs still be converted to .380?

I remember makarov.com but they went defunct a while ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Makarov also has COOL SOVIET STAR on gripping panel.

Both pistol are dead-nuts reliable with the edge probably going to the Mak because it has a fixed barrel and less moving parts.

Yeah, the CZ-82 is superb for what it is and the 12rd double stack magazine is its selling point. The Makarov is older and the safety does decocker duty but what do you think about
the CZ-82 with its cocked and locked operation? What is your preferred mode of carry?

Would you carry it cocked and locked (single action) or chamber a round and then lower the hammer (for double action)? The hammer is rebounding so it does not
rest on the firing pin when lowered and when you've halfway lowered the hammer, just release the trigger to avoid a ND. Kind of a dicey proposition. Thoughts?

View Quote

I've only carried it a few times and when I did it was loaded with the hammer down. I didn't find out until later that the CZ82 is technically not entirely drop safe
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Custom Tok

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Khyber Pass Kustom Shop work ? That is nice, whoever did it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can makarovs still be converted to .380?

I remember makarov.com but they went defunct a while ago.
View Quote

Yes, someone else posted about it. You need a .380 barrel and a rig to push the old barrel out of its base (can be homemade with parts from Home Depot). These are fixed barrel guns.

A company called Federal Arms Corp. sold them cheap until somebody assassinated a Judge with one and ATF squeezed them for purchase records (names and addressees) without a warrant. Between the ATF pressure, lawyers and pissed-off customers they eventually folded.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

44 magnum recoil.....

I have 2 of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P64

44 magnum recoil.....

I have 2 of them.

Wolf springs and polish iron grips made mine pleasant to shoot
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

...yeah thats pretty fuckin HOT!
View All Quotes

@Dunderway

What’s the deal with that Tok? Looks slicker than owl shit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a real question.

Makarov, preferably Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Tok,  no joke.

Wish we could get that china pistol.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, nice custom Tokarev.

And I thought I was balling with a removal of the magazine disconnect, trigger job, compensator, custom grips and tritium night sights.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote for the cz82 too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I own several of each and really enjoy both. Also own an m88a chambered in 9mm. It's basically a compact tokarov. That one I actually carry on occasion.

All have been 100% reliable and I have plenty of ammo.

I couldn't reply to the poll because I appreciate both.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow, nice custom Tokarev.

And I thought I was balling with a removal of the magazine disconnect, trigger job, compensator, custom grips and tritium night sights.

https://i.imgur.com/fIlJKLAl.jpg
View Quote

I have the same grips on my M57.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ian mag dumping dual-wielded Stechkins was some great video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6LyFxlogE
View Quote

I had an opportunity to shoot a full-auto BHP (nice to have a friend who holds a 7-10/2). It was actually MUCH easier to shoot WITHOUT the shoulder stock.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#29]
We're not in Salad Days anymore and cheap surplus 7.62 Tokarev and newer steel case 9mm Mak are long gone
(I don't remember much surplus 9x18 being available) but people bought up all the surplus Makarovs, Tokarevs and CZ-52s...

Why are both ammos so expensive and not well established? I guess it is because they're relegated to
niche/collector gun status.

I should have bought some PPU 85gr JHP. You're definitely going to have decent expansion from the
high velocity. https://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/04/06/7-62x25-self-defense/

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ll rate this post as a C+.  The effort and intent was there, but you just tried too damn hard causing the execution and delivery to ultimately fail.  
View Quote

You've never heard of IVAN CHESNOKOV?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Gonna need some details on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gonna need some details on this.

Quoted:

@Dunderway

What's the deal with that Tok? Looks slicker than owl shit.

It's not mine.  I saw this thread and thought surely someone has done a custom Tokarev.  So I image searched.  It says from the CZ custom shop, but I have not been able to find anymore info on it.

@towerofpower94

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Reliability?
That's a wash.

Cartridge?
Tokarev for sure.

Ergonomics?
Subjective, both are pretty decent IMO, but neither are excellent.

Trigger?
Tokarev

Capacity?
The same

Recoil and split times?
Tokarev

Tokarev is the clear winner here.
View Quote

Clearly you didn’t read the OP. Go back and then tell us about your personal preference for the last item.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Love my CZ-52
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#37]
My buddy says:

"Tokarev. Surplus steel jacketed ammo will defeat 2a vests. There's lots of Czech steel core ammo out there that will do a lot more, especially if hot loaded."
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

TOVARISCH PLEASE. DO YOU EVEN MAUSER C96?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54763/c96-right_jpg-2712594.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PISTOL OF TOKAREV IS ORIGINAL HAND WEAPON OF PIERCING ARMOR VEST. SURE, IS CHEAP TO MAKE AND CHEAP TO BUY BUT IS REVERENT CONTENDER TO SUPER EXPENSE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL.

ALSO HAS COOL SOVIET STAR ON GRIPPING PANEL. WITH THIS DESIGN YOU ARE LOOK LIKE STAR OF COLD WAR, NO?

TOVARISCH PLEASE. DO YOU EVEN MAUSER C96?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54763/c96-right_jpg-2712594.JPG

First Turk company to make and import clones for under 1k is going to make some cash.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#39]
In terms of ruggedness and reliability, I think it's a draw. It's fascinating how simple the Mak is in it's construction. Both have odd calibers, but in times of need you can make 9mm Mak out of 9mm Luger brass. Ergos and magazine capacity are 'meh' for both.

I recently took my Mak to the range after it had been sitting in the safe for many years. I was quickly reminded why. The last time I shot a Tokarev, I wasn't super impressed either.

Tokarev gets an edge for it's more powerful and flat-shooting cartridge, the Mak gets an edge for concealibilty and being DA. I won't sell my Mak, but I won't buy a Tokarev. So, I guess my vote is for Makarov.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Better ergos?

CZ82 in 9mm Mak.

The Tok has a zippy sintered steel round but doesn’t fit my hand at all—neither does the Mak.

CZ82 FTW
View Quote

Care to explain what this means?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an all original 1936 Tok and a 1963 EG Mak.

Tok is thinner with a push button mag release.

The Mak has an after market mag release that is much better than the factory heal release.

The Mak is very accurate. I don’t shoot the Tok often because of its value, but when I do it is quite accurate, too.

I’ll take the Mak over the Tok for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#42]
They both have their advantages. Really, looking at owning one today, I’d say they’d have completely different roles unless you were just getting them for historical curiosity, or as a collector item.

The 9x18 pistols make excellent concealed carry pistols in spite of not being designed for that role. 9x18 gives you a bit more power than a .380 ballistically and there is decent ammo out there for that(I like the critical defense load). Interestingly enough, someone was (and may still be) making 9x18 barrels for the Ruger LCP and Glock 42. Typically the former communist pistols are built like tanks, extremely reliable, and wil run whatever garbage you put in them.

The P64 is the smallest of the bunch, with the CZ82 being the largest of what’s available in this country(Regrettably, the APS is not available for regular folks). The actual Makarovs are somewhere in the middle size-wise. The various Hungarian models are Walther PPK clones, and so about the same size-which is about right for a small carry pistol.

The CZ82 is a fairly well thought out pistol with good controls, an ambidextrous button type mag release, and 12 rd capacity, while still being small enough to be a carry piece-albeit larger than the other pistols in this caliber.

For the Tokarev, for what’s available here, they’re all full sized handguns. So completely different purposes(except plinking, or collecting) than the Makarov pistols. Military ammo will defeat body armor rated to stop 9mm. There is one JHP factory load I am aware of(Prvi Partizan), and other brass-cased, reloadable ammo is out there.

There aren’t as many models in 7.62x25 as there are in 9x18 as most nations just made Tokarevs with their own markings on them. The exceptions are the Czechs with their CZ-52, and to a lesser degree the Yugos and their M57. All of the Tokarev pistols I am aware of in this country can be converted to 9mm with just a barrel change.

The Tokarev is similar in function to a 1911. It has a few changes that are interesting if nothing else. For example, the fire control group is a drop in unit, and comes out in field stripping. The magazine feed lips are actually machined into the frame to eliminate the biggest failure point in the magazine. They sport different safeties, as these were add-on solely for import purposes(that pesky ‘68 law again) and of varying amounts of actual utility. Original Tokarev pistols had no real mechanical safety. Typically Tokarev pistols are extremely reliable. They are fairly easy shooting pistols with recoil being a bit less than a 9mm in my opinion. I taught a few women how to shoot a handgun with one through the years-and it lends itself to that pretty well.

The M57 is basically a Tokarev variant. It holds 1 more round over the others and sports a lot of the features gunsmiths were doing to 1911s over here in that era: lowered ejection port, slide serrations, etc. Magazines do not completely interchange with other Tokarevs.  you can typically use the M57 mags in other Tokarevs, but you can’t use other Tokarev mags in the M57 because of the extra grip length. Interestingly enough, variants of this pistol are still being produced in Serbia and imported here.

The CZ-52 is its own interesting animal. It’s a roller locked pistol. It has a manual safety with a decocker(though be careful, I’ve heard not all of these work properly) which is interesting on a single action handgun. Like the Tokarevs, it’s a barrel change away from being a 9mm.

With either 9x18 or 7.62x25, reloading is a good option. The days of shooting anything regardless of caliber for a couple cents per round are gone. But you can reload either cartridge fairly cheaply. I have loaded cast bullets in both calibers. If you don’t reload there is factory ammo out there for both.

For 7.62x25 you can use bullets for .30 carbine if you’re wanting something jacketed. The Speer 100gr .30 cal short jackets also make a good choice. I tend to cast for mine, using the Lee mold for .32 ACP. Brass is available or you can actually make it from .223-though this is a bit of work. I tend to save the .223 cases that get buggered at the case mouth and use them for conversion. For 9x18, components are available as well. Lee makes a mold just for casting in this caliber.

With either caliber, data is available and not hard to find. You can use any number of pistol powders to load either.

Anyway my opinion-get both. They both have their uses.

These pistols were not cheap because they were cheap to produce. They were cheap because there were a shitload of them out there as surplus. They will go up in value as everything of this type does. And you can enjoy them in the meantime.

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I've got an old beat up ChiCom M20 Tok.  Need to find grips for it.  They seem to be harder to find than the damn pistol!

Isn't the 7.62x25 round supposed to be a shit hot self defense round?
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Makarov, M88 or a CZ82
View Quote

I love my CZ82. Accurate little gun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#45]
PPU is a mild load ammo in 7.62x25.
S&B is hot.
Winchester brand is repackaged S&B.
PPU is preferred by many CZ52 owners.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Wow I would love to own that.

I have a cheap Chinese Tok and think it is pretty fun. It feels plenty awkward but can put rounds on target. The cheesy pin that holds the firing pin in gets eaten alive from dry firing. I replaced it with a piece of welding rod.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Been thinking about having mine NP3'd
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't get it.

You asked for our preferences and gave mine along with my reasoning. What's the problem?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly you didn’t read the OP. Go back and then tell us about your personal preference for the last item.

I don't get it.

You asked for our preferences and gave mine along with my reasoning. What's the problem?

You failed to provide:
“personal preference based on capacity for depth of anal insertion.”

Seriously though, there is no problem. I appreciate that you were one that actually put some thought and effort in. Especially since I have neither and shot neither. I’m considering a Yugo Tokarev because my FIL is Yugo.

I was just being a shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I love the Tok round.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top