Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey, if it's good enough for a 4000 meter dive in a submersible, it's good enough for a website.
View Quote

Plot twist, they were using the same raspberry pi for both.  The website went down when the sub croaked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive seen NASA screw the pooch a few times now w a much larger budget. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it...

Except it has been done. Multiple times by multiple people/organizations. For decades. There's a company that builds better, more capable commercial submersibles too. There's absolutely nothing this guy was doing that was innovative or unique unless you count ignoring decades of processes and standards to ensure reliable and safe operation of submersibles.

What this CEO did is the submersible equivalent of those African helicopter/airplane "engineers".

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
An implosion at least would be a better way of going out than due to lack of oxygen. They may have known they were in serious trouble, but the actual event would have been so fast it wouldn’t have computed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ping doesn't really mean anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oceangate website

https://oceangate.com/

Lost comms

Still pingable but no http/https loading.

Ping doesn't really mean anything.

It means the DNS records are sill live, and there is something at that IP address that responds to ping.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
An investigation of the company, over what?  What domain does the government have over these guys?  What domain should the government have over them?
View Quote
They were still a US based company. I won't pretend to understand what, if any, bureaucratic regulatory requirements
exist for experimental submersibles, but if there were none, there will be now.

eta: Not to mention that there is probably way more than enough evidence to prove gross negligence, so legally, they will
be fucked by a train. Anyone who still works there is already cleaning off their desk. All their assets will vaporize like the sub did.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s getting harder and harder to tell arfcom apart from certain subreddits on Reddit.
View Quote

It's not like it used to be but you still have way more freedom than Redditt.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OceanGate Twitter is still up

https://twitter.com/OceanGate
View Quote

You would think if you had an official twitter account you wouldnt post the pic of the above ground propane tank you drug out of your backyard. Atleast have the picture with the fairings so it kinda looks legit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very sad.  Mission 2 was scheduled to depart yesterday.  I wonder how many people ponied up the $250K, bought plane tickets, etc.  There will be demands for refunds, and lawsuits, etc.

People who working there have probably scattered to the four winds, and are frantically updating their resumes, or talking to lawyers.  It's not hard to shut down a Web site.  Kind of surprising that the techies haven't done that yet.
View Quote

I read a story a few days ago about a couple that has been suing OG for years in attempt to get their refund. The whole operation appears to by a scam and fly by night.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It’ll be interesting to see the civil fallout from this. The passengers signed waivers, but the stories coming out regarding ignored safety concerns and “cutting corners” is the definition of gross negligence.
View Quote

The CEO is dead. The company itself probably has few assets. Anyone else involved was “just an employee”.

How much juice is there to squeeze out?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mount Everest is littered with dead climbers trying to achieve their lifelong dream. Part of the thrill is cheating death. If Oceangate goes bankrupt because of this, another company will step up to meet the demand because it will always be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There used to be another company that did this, iirc.  Probably 15 years ago, maybe more.  I think the rate back then was $60k a person, but I can't remember all the details, or why that company got out of the business of doing it.

My issue with the characterization of the clients as complete dumbasses in all of this is along the lines of what you're saying: there's no one else offering this.  People have wanted to dive this wreck for a long time, and few have stepped to the plate to offer it.  I'm sure calls are are made now and then to places like Woods Hole and other agencies who have deep-water submersibles capable of reaching Titanic and the response is typically "we don't do tourism" or "we're not for hire" or "we only do scientific and academic research".  And yeah, billionaires could maybe afford to buy their own subs, lease their own ships and crews, etc. to do it, but like most others, they try to rely on people who have been working on the problem for a while to make the trip work.  Oceangate has presented itself as a well-run, professional expedition team and managed to cover up many of it's shortcomings until now.

I think that people tend to get more desperate and more accepting of risk of other options aren't there/made available.  Those with unlimited cash, however, I can see the point in deprecating a bit over the fact they could literally have the best stuff in the world made available to them through purchase and it would never touch their bottom lines.  I do think that the mockery that has been made of them and their deaths is over the top though.  These guys were just trying to fulfill a lifelong dream, in one of the most inhospitable environments on earth.  They shouldn't be slated over that.

Mount Everest is littered with dead climbers trying to achieve their lifelong dream. Part of the thrill is cheating death. If Oceangate goes bankrupt because of this, another company will step up to meet the demand because it will always be there.

LOL. “IF”.    

Really?    
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love the "knock off xbox controller" chat.  

Logitech makes the xbox controller.   :-).
View Quote

I'd rather buy the official Xbox controller. Logitech makes cheap-o stuff too and I happen to own many of those dead products from them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This site makes fun of darwin award winners.  Anyone who would go 12K deep and depend on a bluetooth game controller is a darwin award candidate. The woke CEO is the icing on the cake.  Besides the 19 year old I feel sorry for none of them.  And because of the wokeness I hope they get mocked for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that people tend to get more desperate and more accepting of risk of other options aren't there/made available.  Those with unlimited cash, however, I can see the point in deprecating a bit over the fact they could literally have the best stuff in the world made available to them through purchase and it would never touch their bottom lines.  I do think that the mockery that has been made of them and their deaths is over the top though.  These guys were just trying to fulfill a lifelong dream, in one of the most inhospitable environments on earth.  They shouldn't be slated over that.

This site makes fun of darwin award winners.  Anyone who would go 12K deep and depend on a bluetooth game controller is a darwin award candidate. The woke CEO is the icing on the cake.  Besides the 19 year old I feel sorry for none of them.  And because of the wokeness I hope they get mocked for years.

I'm finding it very hard to muster a single fuck. I feel bad for the families they left behind, but those inside the "sub" fucked around and found out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#13]
So who is going to be CEO now?  An inspirational hire?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The CEO is dead. The company itself probably has few assets. Anyone else involved was "just an employee".

View Quote
Whatever is left to "squeeze out" will most definitely be squeezed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd rather buy the official Xbox controller. Logitech makes cheap-o stuff too and I happen to own many of those dead products from them.
View Quote

It’s actually a “PlayStation” style. Look at the joystick orientation. Xbox knockoffs and official controllers do not have that orientation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah maybe, but they coated it with Rhino Liner, so it's all cool.  

I'm sure the through-hull for the "backup hydraulic ram to drop ballast" was done with the utmost care as well.  

Same for that tiny little single o-ring; I'm sure it never got nicked or anything, and I'm positive the condition of the o-ring groove was perfect.  

Similarly, no weird stress risers introduced anywhere (perhaps due to someone swinging scaffold pipe around and hitting the hull, or the pretty little window that flexes 3/4 inch each use, etc).

The o ring is a non factor at those depths.  The pressure on the hatch is what seals it.  The o ring is only there for it not to leak at shallow depths where there is not enough pressure for the mating surfaces to seal.

The pipe within a pipe in the video with the actor from Mexico was a nice touch.  I can see that inner pipe sliding during descent, locking up the whole works.  

My bet is on one of the following:

- Catastrophic failure of the CF hull, probably due to separation from the titanium ring due to flexing and degradation of the bond
- O ring extruded right into the passenger compartment, the water jet slicing apart whomever was on the shitter at the time
- Salt corrosion of the electronics caused a fire or rapid battery drain, taking the CO2 scrubbers with them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really would like to know what bonding agent they used for the Ti ring to the CF tube. I bet they used plexus
I wouldn't be surprised if they used 3M 5200.

Yeah maybe, but they coated it with Rhino Liner, so it's all cool.  

I'm sure the through-hull for the "backup hydraulic ram to drop ballast" was done with the utmost care as well.  

Same for that tiny little single o-ring; I'm sure it never got nicked or anything, and I'm positive the condition of the o-ring groove was perfect.  

Similarly, no weird stress risers introduced anywhere (perhaps due to someone swinging scaffold pipe around and hitting the hull, or the pretty little window that flexes 3/4 inch each use, etc).

The o ring is a non factor at those depths.  The pressure on the hatch is what seals it.  The o ring is only there for it not to leak at shallow depths where there is not enough pressure for the mating surfaces to seal.

The pipe within a pipe in the video with the actor from Mexico was a nice touch.  I can see that inner pipe sliding during descent, locking up the whole works.  

My bet is on one of the following:

- Catastrophic failure of the CF hull, probably due to separation from the titanium ring due to flexing and degradation of the bond
- O ring extruded right into the passenger compartment, the water jet slicing apart whomever was on the shitter at the time
- Salt corrosion of the electronics caused a fire or rapid battery drain, taking the CO2 scrubbers with them.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The Magellan submersible. This was the one that stuck waiting for US approval to come in.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The CEO is dead. The company itself probably has few assets. Anyone else involved was “just an employee”.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’ll be interesting to see the civil fallout from this. The passengers signed waivers, but the stories coming out regarding ignored safety concerns and “cutting corners” is the definition of gross negligence.

None, the CEO said they would spend a $1m on fuel alone, which basically eats all the funding from the tourism.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The company's main asset is lying squished to the size of a dishwasher at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Look what the idiots at the NYP did.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
What did the tourist know about the Clinton’s? ??
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
An investigation of the company, over what?  What domain does the government have over these guys?  What domain should the government have over them?
View Quote

It's US-based, so I'm sure some government agency will want their time in the spotlight and launch an investigation into the company, the expedition, etc. over fraud, possible reckless homicide, whatever.  

For example, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12222851/OceanGate-face-FEDERAL-probe-negligent-homicide-Titanic-Five-arent-alive.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Dems will be calling for new Cabinet level agency to Regulate Subs. Can be fully staffed with DEI hires. 5K union workers would be good start.

It's for the children. Spending exception to the recently negotiated budget caps, plus another $20B for UKR.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I read a story a few days ago about a couple that has been suing OG for years in attempt to get their refund. The whole operation appears to by a scam and fly by night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very sad.  Mission 2 was scheduled to depart yesterday.  I wonder how many people ponied up the $250K, bought plane tickets, etc.  There will be demands for refunds, and lawsuits, etc.

People who working there have probably scattered to the four winds, and are frantically updating their resumes, or talking to lawyers.  It's not hard to shut down a Web site.  Kind of surprising that the techies haven't done that yet.

To be fair they did provide at least one ride to the area.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the "knock off xbox controller" chat.  

Logitech makes the xbox controller.   :-).

The Navy bought xbox controllers to use in submarines a few years ago.

The US Navy’s newest submarine comes with an Xbox controller
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
None, the CEO said they would spend a $1m on fuel alone
View Quote

Thats a lot of 87 octane.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Terrible news, I'm sure there wont be any more tourist rides to the titanic now.
View Quote
At least not in a brick and mortar store bought homemade diving tube.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dems will be calling for new Cabinet level agency to Regulate Subs. Can be fully staffed with DEI hires. 5K union workers would be good start.

It's for the children. Spending exception to the recently negotiated budget caps, plus another $20B for UKR.

View Quote

Accurate
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#29]

OceanGate Expeditions
@OceanGateExped
"If you want to go to the bottom of the ocean, this is the way to do it."
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This here.  I would guess most things were rented/leased and everyone else is an employee.  There is probably a company bank account but my guess is that bitch was drained first thing Monday Tuesday morning when the banks opened.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

The battleship is a nice touch haha
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Two mile+ long anchor cable.......

Just consult with FJB.  Build a train track to the site and then take an elevator down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we are gonna do tourism visits to the wreck of the Titanic why do they not anchor a buoy near it?  They could then follow the buoy anchor line down and know that they end up near the wreck.  Could even put an automated weather station, wave height reporter, and a navigation beacon on it.

Two mile+ long anchor cable.......

Just consult with FJB.  Build a train track to the site and then take an elevator down.

NOAA has several buoys moored in 5,000 meter+ water.  Extremely useful for weather forecasting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their support ship is probably leased as well.  So at best they have some shitty office somewhere, few computers and some VOIP phones.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OceanGate Expeditions
@OceanGateExped
"If you want to go to the bottom of the ocean, this is the way to do it."
View Quote

Notice they didn't say anything about coming back up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#35]
MH370 search team 'joins hunt for Titanic submarine': Deep ocean recovery specialists brought in by Malaysia to find missing jet 'aid rescue bid'

A search team involved in the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is now helping in the desperate race to locate the Titan submersible, according to reports.

The company - Phoenix International Deep Ocean Search and Recovery - specializes in underwater rescue and salvage orations.

On its website, it boasts of being 'well versed in conducting worldwide underwater projects with a wide range of subsea systems' having been involved in the search for MH370, which vanished into the abyss in 2014 with 239 people on board.

The full wreckage has never been found.

Now, according to German tabloid Bild, Phoenix International has joined a multinational mission to find the missing Titan submersible after its five-man crew lost contact with its mother ship on Sunday on a dive to the wreck of the Titanic.

Link
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Their support ship is probably leased as well.  So at best they have some shitty office somewhere, few computers and some VOIP phones.
View Quote

It is leased.  I think the crew are leased as well.

Oceangate has a support staff that are part of the expedition, but I bet we're talking 15-20 people max.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CEO is dead. The company itself probably has few assets. Anyone else involved was "just an employee".

Here’s your 87 cents after litigation expenses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They got the luckiest outcome possible
View Quote

I’d Imagine every one of them would have preferred to be rescued
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is leased.  I think the crew are leased as well.

Oceangate has a support staff that are part of the expedition, but I bet we're talking 15-20 people max.
View Quote

The CEO mentioned that the ship and fuel were costing him $1M every time they used it. Was asked if he was turning a profit and he responded with a "no"
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
"Implosion" now trending on Twitter
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I honestly don't consider this news "devastating", at least at this point in the game.....there's no chance they were still alive at this point anyway, at least a debris field means it was an implosion or some other sort of structural failure and that they went instantly or at least quickly.
View Quote

Exactly.  I hope it was as rapid as possible.  The other way was truly horrible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Except it has been done. Multiple times by multiple people/organizations. For decades. There's a company that builds better, more capable commercial submersibles too. There's absolutely nothing this guy was doing that was innovative or unique unless you count ignoring decades of processes and standards to ensure reliable and safe operation of submersibles.

What this CEO did is the submersible equivalent of those African helicopter/airplane "engineers".

https://ychef.files.bbci.co.uk/976x549/p01bvb19.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive seen NASA screw the pooch a few times now w a much larger budget. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it...

https://ychef.files.bbci.co.uk/976x549/p01bvb19.jpg

"What if the carbon fiber hull failed yesterday?"

"I don't understand, the carbon fiber hull didn't fail yesterday!"

"Yes, but what would you do if it had failed yesterday?"

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I know the difference in tensile vs compression in carbon fiber isn't like the tire example I used, but it's compression strength is between 30-50% of tensile strength.  Even then it seems fiber type and layout method play major roles.  So, roughly speaking, a pressure vessel built for external pressure would need to be twice as thick as one build for internal pressure.

Given the lack of "50 year old white guys" I wonder if this was factored into the design?
View Quote

Curious where you get that 30-50% from. It's roughly equivalent in all the laminates I've ever worked with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's not like it used to be but you still have way more freedom than Redditt.  

View Quote

Both are entertainment. Don't come to GD on advice to build a sub, or reddit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Well at least no 50yr old white guy safety engineers lost a job at that company.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was never going to be a rescue
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The CEO mentioned that the ship and fuel were costing him $1M every time they used it. Was asked if he was turning a profit and he responded with a "no"
View Quote

Yeah unless they had a full boat of people signed up to go down to the wreck, I never figured out how they could break even or make money.  It was one of the concerns I had in the back of my head, though I assumed that they had full boats.

Honestly, $1 million sounds cheap to me for that ship, fuel, and a crew for the 10 days or whatever they were to be out there.  Yachts can get even more costly than that, and I don't think they're nearly as sophisticated or asked to go to the middle of the North Atlantic.

I figured they had to generate $2-2.5M a trip to stay in business.  I didn't think that insurmountable though.  These trips were supposed to take like 10 people out, and form like 4 dives to the wreck.  And if a spouse wanted to go but didn't want to dive, they could but it was like $100k just to take the ride out.  They had plenty of ways to make the money to finance the trips, and the demand to do it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Safe to say they are dead
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those people in support I assume were/are getting paid. Not to mention the base support ship wasn't free and not free to operate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems that some people have trouble grasping that.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top