BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the point of these pointless threads? Go buy a diary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have plans to dominate the world!

Unfortunately, distribution doesn't really care about my plans. We are a tiny fish in a massive pond. You must fight tooth and nail to even get noticed.

For instance someone like me might be putting up a billboard directly across the street from a big distributor out of Knoxville
View Quote
I'm really glad for you.  I'm on my third startup (other people's money) and I know how hard it is.

If you ever want to piss away a lot of money to feed your ego on distribution,  give me a ring and I'll get you setup with a 100,000 cases of lumberjack-themed,
flavored GNS panty dropper.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm really glad for you.  I'm on my third startup (other people's money) and I know how hard it is.

If you ever want to piss away a lot of money to feed your ego on distribution,  give me a ring and I'll get you setup with a 100,000 cases of lumberjack-themed,

View Quote

Lol, that sounds like a good story
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have some good stories, but that's actually what I do. Industrial scale bartender.

ETA: How good or shitty the branding and liquid are is up to the client.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I might have to check out a store or two in the beach tomorrow and see if I can get some.

Any idea which ones it’s at?
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I might have to check out a store or two in the beach tomorrow and see if I can get some.

Any idea which ones it’s at?
View Quote

I will have to look up the store address. It is the number one store in Virginia for whiskey sales. It’s next to a Starbucks if that helps. I will look it up at the office tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I will have to look up the store address. It is the number one store in Virginia for whiskey sales. It’s next to a Starbucks if that helps. I will look it up at the office tomorrow.
View Quote

It’s probably the one at hilltop but double check and let me know .  I’ll take a pic of it on the shelf for you as I grab me one
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s probably the one at hilltop but double check and let me know .  I’ll take a pic of it on the shelf for you as I grab me one
View Quote

@Dboy11 it is the one in the Hilltop North Shopping Center. Depending on when they get their shipments it may be there now or coming this week.

This store sold more American Whiskey (including bourbon) than any other store in Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Dboy11 it is the one in the Hilltop North Shopping Center. Depending on when they get their shipments it may be there now or coming this week.

This store sold more American Whiskey (including bourbon) than any other store in Virginia.
View Quote

I appreciate it.  That’s some amazing numbers huh?! That’s a very affluent area of the beach.  I’ll make a reminder to go by end of week then.  I totally forgot todayAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Good for you, man. Hard is should be respected and rewarded.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool Canoeguy!  Will likely never see it here in Idaho, but if you could find a way to send me some cleaning solution, I'd order online...

I have a few questions for you.

70-80 hour weeks for two years, means the brown juice is likely not aged that long, correct?  Is the product sourced until your own becomes of age, or did you have to contract to have your juice made until you had a place to call 'home'?  

What is your mash bill? Lastly, I saw an article recently about bottle sizes standardizing to 700ml, are you in the loop on that as well?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very cool Canoeguy!  Will likely never see it here in Idaho, but if you could find a way to send me some cleaning solution, I'd order online...

70-80 hour weeks for two years, means the brown juice is likely not aged that long, correct?  Is the product sourced until your own becomes of age, or did you have to contract to have your juice made until you had a place to call 'home'?  

What is your mash bill? Lastly, I saw an article recently about bottle sizes standardizing to 700ml, are you in the loop on that as well?
View Quote

Well Idaho is a controlled state so getting there will be more of a challenge for sure but if I have my way we will be everywhere in the future. It just may take a few years.

Our bourbon is sourced but proofed here with our limestone water which has more of an effect than most accredit to it. Sourcing is a necessary evil while our own ages here. But it is not even limited to small distilleries. Many of the big names have and do source as well. Of course if you come and see us you can taste what we are producing here straight off the still or some of the stuff that has been in the barrels awhile.

Our mash bill in the bottle is a high rye. I tell people that if you like Blanton's or EH Taylor its in the same wheel house as that profile wise. Our distillation would also be a high rye but we use more barley and les corn than I am guessing most in the industry.

I haven't really seen any serious discussions on reducing bottle size. I think it will be fought tooth and nail. The industry is pretty stuck in tradition and I doubt anyone wants to see us leave 750ml for the simple fact that in "American" it's pronounced fifth, an age old measurement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I take it I'm not going to find any of this stuff in a liquor store in BFE TN?  

Which means we need to take a trip up there?  The horrors.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats canoe dude.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bring a bottle of rye to central texas and I'll let you sleep in my barn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and we will be doing that soon.

ETA: just to get it out of the way…I am the log home guy, distillery guy, rentals by the river guy and also the hotdog cart guy.

What can I say when I say I am looking into something I deliver

Oh I am Also the guy riding a motorcycle to South America next year.

Bring a bottle of rye to central texas and I'll let you sleep in my barn.

I'm gunna have to pay attention to this!  South TX here, with a shiny commuter DL650 here.  Though my dreams are more Alaska than South America.  Don't suppose we can set up alerts for when people post threads?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Feel good thread. I love hearing or reading about people’s hard work starting to pay off. I’ve never understood people who get jealous of others success. I see it as inspiration

So congrats. May your business continue to grow and bring much success to you and yours.
View Quote

Well put.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep. But it has been awhile. We just got a small amount of distribution in Virginia. But even a small amount is ten times more than we had and a big step.
View Quote
Hey op where you at in Virginia, if you don't mind saying.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I take it I'm not going to find any of this stuff in a liquor store in BFE TN?  

Which means we need to take a trip up there?  The horrors.  
View Quote

Well…we had a pretty good in person meeting today about that today. We don’t want to say to much but it as anything can happen but it would be a much bigger deal than being on a few Virginia shelves
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm gunna have to pay attention to this!  South TX here, with a shiny commuter DL650 here.  Though my dreams are more Alaska than South America.  Don't suppose we can set up alerts for when people post threads?  
View Quote

Latest trip thread

It’s open to anyone that wants to go. All you have to do is meet us at the border and keep riding south!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Someone sending me a pic of our products on the shelf 4 hours away makes it worth it.

Sorry for the frivolous and mysterious post but it’s a happy moment for us and I needed to get it off my chest!

It’s almost like hard work can have results.
View Quote

If it's your business... Congrats!

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey op where you at in Virginia, if you don't mind saying.
View Quote

Pennington Gap, VA. It’s in Lee County which is the western most county in the state.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NC is in my sights but it is going to be a pain and I feel like we need a footprint first. The only reason Virginia gave us even a small bone is partially due to us being a VA distillery.

My next goal is TN then Kentucky. Or really anyone we can get. But controlled states like VA and NC are ridiculous.
View Quote

Well crud. I guess that answers my question

Edit: probably info you already know, but Kentucky is weird about alcohol and has 3-tier laws that are likely going to require you to sell to a distributor, not individual stores
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me, if someone from KY comes knocking we are definitely willing to listen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, Can I get a bottle?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have plans to dominate the world!

Unfortunately, distribution doesn’t really care about my plans. We are a tiny fish in a massive pond. You must fight tooth and nail to even get noticed.

For instance someone like me might be putting up a billboard directly across the street from a big distributor out of Knoxville
View Quote

Well done Sir!

I have yet to still make it to your establishment and hopefully my wife and I can do that when the leaves start changing colors soon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats!!

When you come up to help stain my log home, can you bring a case or two?  

*I called and talked to you last fall about installing my new windows correctly.  So far so good!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Edit: probably info you already know, but Kentucky is weird about alcohol and has 3-tier laws that are likely going to require you to sell to a distributor, not individual stores
View Quote

I'm going to put a word in at one of the box stores here to get your goods, Canoeguy.

I'm not a big buyer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd love to see some Axe Handle here in bluegrass country.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, Can I get a bottle?
View Quote

California is probably a long wait for distribution, but you never know.
Quoted:
When you come up to help stain my log home, can you bring a case or two?  

*I called and talked to you last fall about installing my new windows correctly.  So far so good!
View Quote

I am glad it is working so far. I actually have no idea what I am talking about and was making it up as I went. Hell, I was probably drunk
Quoted:

I'm going to put a word in at one of the box stores here to get your goods, Canoeguy.

I'm not a big buyer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd love to see some Axe Handle here in bluegrass country.
View Quote

I tell people all the time that asking for us is one of the best ways to help us. If enough people ask, then we will be there!
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pic of product?
View Quote
Yeah no shit FPFNI
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Godspeed OP, hope at some point I can try it. At some point I’d love to be in your shoes….
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Godspeed OP, hope at some point I can try it. At some point I’d love to be in your shoes….
View Quote

If you are talking about opening a distillery then I am always happy to share our experiences, missteps, and good decisions.

We have been passing on some info to a new distillery that will open in Roanoke early next year. They of course have their own path to blaze but the industry as a whole has been helpful to us and we are happy to share what we know even as new as we are.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you going to give it a cool meme-ish name and free samples to anyone who asks and then apologize and backpedal once the leftist mob decides you're they're next target?

ETA: No on the name.  Good luck dude.  Catch you on the Gauley sometime
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you going to give it a cool meme-ish name and free samples to anyone who asks and then apologize and backpedal once the leftist mob decides you're they're next target?
View Quote

No, I am a traditionalist and don’t like flash in the pan BS. No trendy names or goofy stuff.

As for the left…my politics are well know and in print many times over. We are who we are. No apologies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Brand name so I can shop for it OP?  An IM works fine, just like supporting fellow ARFCOMers
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Congrats! I have to admit that I never thought you’d get orders for those Ruth Bader Ginsburg fleshlights but I was proven wrong again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Congratulations OP
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Someone sending me a pic of our products on the shelf 4 hours away makes it worth it.

Sorry for the frivolous and mysterious post but it’s a happy moment for us and I needed to get it off my chest!

It’s almost like hard work can have results.
View Quote

Is this your company?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good for you, man. Hard is should be respected and rewarded.
View Quote

+1.  Congrats op.  The world/west is starting to lack people like you.  All the best.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is this your company?
View Quote

It is a family business. My wife’s grandmother started the log home business 40 years ago. We have been involved for decades and now it is the three of us. We skipped a generation.

We have no children and though we are only middle aged we have no idea where it will go when the day comes for us. Maybe a niece or nephew. It seems a weird thing to talk about but it is actually a burden that exists in circumstances like this.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Cool!!!
I'm from Lee county. Living in Ohio for about the past hundred years lol. I'm down that way 2-3 times a year. Actually hoping to move back to the area in about a year. But I might have to slide across the Tennessee line- better government. I've actually heard of you guys while I was down there last July I think. I'll have to look you up next time. Best of luck to you!!!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well Idaho is a controlled state so getting there will be more of a challenge for sure but if I have my way we will be everywhere in the future. It just may take a few years.

Our bourbon is sourced but proofed here with our limestone water which has more of an effect than most accredit to it. Sourcing is a necessary evil while our own ages here. But it is not even limited to small distilleries. Many of the big names have and do source as well. Of course if you come and see us you can taste what we are producing here straight off the still or some of the stuff that has been in the barrels awhile.

Our mash bill in the bottle is a high rye. I tell people that if you like Blanton's or EH Taylor its in the same wheel house as that profile wise. Our distillation would also be a high rye but we use more barley and les corn than I am guessing most in the industry.

I haven't really seen any serious discussions on reducing bottle size. I think it will be fought tooth and nail. The industry is pretty stuck in tradition and I doubt anyone wants to see us leave 750ml for the simple fact that in "American" it's pronounced fifth, an age old measurement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Our mash bill in the bottle is a high rye. I tell people that if you like Blanton's or EH Taylor its in the same wheel house as that profile wise"

That's good to hear. I like a rye whiskey that actually has a lot of rye in it. Apparently, that's weird.

I'll make a note on the off chance I end up in your part of VA. I'll have to see if distribution guy can't manage to get me a bottle as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Congrats! I have to admit that I never thought you’d get orders for those Ruth Bader Ginsburg fleshlights but I was proven wrong again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Neat.  My in-laws live in Roanoke and my FIL and I both like bourbon, a lot.  I'll have to ask him to keep an eye out for this to see if he can get a bottle or two.  We visit Roanoke fairly often but going another 3-3.5 hours probably wouldn't be feasible for us, especially with an 18-month old.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neat.  My in-laws live in Roanoke and my FIL and I both like bourbon, a lot.  I'll have to ask him to keep an eye out for this to see if he can get a bottle or two.  We visit Roanoke fairly often but going another 3-3.5 hours probably wouldn't be feasible for us, especially with an 18-month old.
View Quote

Let him know it is in the Towers store and in Salem.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Good luck with the deal!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top