Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2013 10:48:32 PM EDT

In volatile Congo, a new U.N. force with teeth
Inaction is precisely what the U.N. mission here has been criticized for in the 14 years since the United Nations dispatched soldiers to Congo, the first members of what has become the largest peacekeeping force in U.N. history. Now, the U.N. Security Council has launched the Forward Intervention Brigade in a bold attempt to defeat the dozens of militias that pillage this mineral-rich central African country, which is roughly the size of Western Europe. The brigade, composed of 3,000 soldiers, is the United Nations’ first offensive combat force and is seen as a possible model for defusing crises in other chaotic parts of the world.

But the force is also an unparalleled gamble for the United Nations that challenges the basic principles of peacekeeping. It has orders to react offensively to enforce peace, essentially transforming peacekeepers into combatants. And it is openly supporting Congolese government forces, a move away from the principle of neutrality that has guided other U.N. missions.
View Quote

December 27, 2013: The UN’s Force Intervention Brigade (IBDE) is back in action in the eastern Congo. Elements of the IBD attacked rebels in the Allied Democratic Forces ADF-National Army for the Liberation of Uganda (ADF-NALU). The IBDE attack included fire from the brigade’s armed helicopters which supported an attack by the Congolese Army (FARDC) on the town of Kamango. ADF rebels seized the town earlier in the month and then kidnapped and murdered several civilians.  The ADF is an Islamist organization and the Ugandan government contends that the ADF is allied with Somalia’s radical Al Shabaab Islamist militia.
Link
View Quote

Trijicon Reflex?

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The UN intervenes?

interesting................
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
So when do they start human trafficking?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
It will be interesting to see how effective they are.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Was that a staged photo?  Only that ONE GUY has night vision on his helmet.  One guy?
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Same guy has a second chin strap on his adams apple.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The UN intervenes?

interesting................
View Quote

They figured out that neutrality bullshit doesn't work.

Or they ran out of women, children, and livestock to rape in their current AO. Not sure which.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The UN has caused more harm to the Congo than good since it first intervened there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
bringing cholera round the world again?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Coming to a city near you.
seriously, I read the title and thought it said "Chicago..." I wonder how long 3k UN troops would survive in Chi-town.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Something seems a bit off about their camouflage, something is standing out...if I didn't know better I'd say they're running around with bright blue helmets on, but that would be silly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Africa is just popping lately. Aren't the Chinese supposed to be colonizing Africa now? Let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That may be what they're protecting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Something seems a bit off about their camouflage, something is standing out...if I didn't know better I'd say they're running around with bright blue helmets on, but that would be silly.
View Quote

They also drive white APCs with no snow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the white helicopters.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's silly.

They'll be too busy fucking the teen/pre-teen prostitutes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Was that a staged photo?  Only that ONE GUY has night vision on his helmet.  One guy?
View Quote

"Where the hell are we Muhamed?! Seriously, we can't see shit!"
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's silly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's silly.

That's ridiculous, they'll be too busy spreading Cholera.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/world/americas/rights-advocates-suing-un-over-the-spread-of-cholera-in-haiti.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Newsflash.  Not all militaries are equipped the same.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be very expensive to maintain snow there.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Considering the size of the country, that's not much of a force.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Remember: Western-lead soldiers deciding who runs Africa is only bad when the UN isn't in charge.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Same guy has a second chin strap on his adams apple.
View Quote

one for helmet and one for pvs-7 head-gear, must not have got a helmet mount....I know a bunch of guys who went to fallujah with peq-2s taped to their m16a2 handguards
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yesterday, today they start raping children. Tomorrow the rebels start eating Peace Keepers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ha.  I remember being shocked when I came back on active duty in 2010 and saw they were issuing every swinging dick a set of PVS-14s.  Where the fuck was THAT during the invasion?

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Remember: Western-lead soldiers deciding who runs Africa is only bad when the UN isn't in charge.  
View Quote

They're not.

India is running the show. It's funny that the Paki troops have Indian air support. There are forces there from Rwanda,Senegal,RSA,Morocco and South America but Europe is pretty much staying out of this.

As to an earlier post: truth, Black Jack Schramme was in the right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They're not.

India is running the show. It's funny that the Paki troops have Indian air support. There are forces there from Rwanda,Senegal,RSA,Morocco and South America but Europe is pretty much staying out of this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're not.

This should be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Somebody ought to take a Saab Tunnan out of mothballs, just for old time's sake.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ha.  I remember being shocked when I came back on active duty in 2010 and saw they were issuing every swinging dick a set of PVS-14s.  Where the fuck was THAT during the invasion?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll admit to thinking at times I had too much.  Looking at my MAL one time in 2009, I caught myself thinking what the fuck am I going to do with 75 sets of NVGs and a firing battery mission.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'll admit to thinking at times I had too much.  Looking at my MAL one time in 2009, I caught myself thinking what the fuck am I going to do with 75 sets of NVGs and a firing battery mission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been accused many times of not caring enough for the Marines because of advocating serious reductions in the amount of high speed shit they hand out.  I understand intimately the reality that in a gun fight at night some lives might be saved by Marines having extra NVGs.  I also understand that an ACOG on every rifle is a nice thing, and improves observation and target acquisition for the individual shooters.   I also understand that we still kick ass when there is only one ACOG per fire team, and one set of NVGs per fire team or squad.  

I hate to sound callous and evil, but I question if the nation realizes that while lives are precious, precious commodities, we truly can't sustain the course we are on- and we need to learn that extra risk in combat may need to be assumed in order to prevent our destruction by other means.  Of course I don't feel this way just about gear they issue us, but about entitlement programs and all other manners of rampant uncontrolled spending as well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've been accused many times of not caring enough for the Marines because of advocating serious reductions in the amount of high speed shit they hand out.  I understand intimately the reality that in a gun fight at night some lives might be saved by Marines having extra NVGs.  I also understand that an ACOG on every rifle is a nice thing, and improves observation and target acquisition for the individual shooters.   I also understand that we still kick ass when there is only one ACOG per fire team, and one set of NVGs per fire team or squad.  

I hate to sound callous and evil, but I question if the nation realizes that while lives are precious, precious commodities, we truly can't sustain the course we are on- and we need to learn that extra risk in combat may need to be assumed in order to prevent our destruction by other means.  Of course I don't feel this way just about gear they issue us, but about entitlement programs and all other manners of rampant uncontrolled spending as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NVG???  How much are the old parachute flares per round?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Woo power?

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#36]
what's their rape schedule look like?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Isn't that an old ass PVS-7A?
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's silly.

That's ridiculous, they'll be too busy spreading Cholera.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/world/americas/rights-advocates-suing-un-over-the-spread-of-cholera-in-haiti.html?_r=0

We could do this all night.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Somebody ought to take a Saab Tunnan out of mothballs, just for old time's sake.
View Quote

Too bad they didn't get shot down by the Katangese.  The latter did manage to nail a couple of UN aircraft, though, as well as a USAF one.  Sweden was on the wrong side in that war.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not.

The Indians played a leading role in screwing over parts of the Congo in the 1960s.  I find it amazing how aggressive India was as a country in that time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take the ACOGs and the NVGs.  They can keep the PPE that just gets bigger and bulkier and heavier each time I deploy.  
If I wanted to be a tank I wouldn't have gone into the infantry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Blends in with the nurseries they frequently raid
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'll take the ACOGs and the NVGs.  They can keep the PPE that just gets bigger and bulkier and heavier each time I deploy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh, I've been raked over the coals about that as well. I was letting Marines wear plate carriers vice the Hesco Barrier carrier.  Higher got pissed to no end and I got to spend a significant amount of time being lectured about how if I cared for the Marines I'd make sure they wore all available PPE.  When I tried to make the argument that mobility is also survivability I was told that the Marines should PT more and get stronger then so that the extra PPE won't slow them down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top