Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
that thing looks like howard the duck fucked a sprinter van....
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quick math says that if they replace 90,000 of LLVs, it would save almost 10 million a year in fuel JUST from that 8.2 to 8.6mpg jump.

That's fairly significant.

It would be a lot more significant with competent leadership though
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quick math says that if they replace 90,000 of LLVs, it would save almost 10 million a year in fuel JUST from that 8.2 to 8.6mpg jump.

View Quote

LLVs haven't gotten over 8gal for years. When new maybe, not now with age an 10% ethanol gas. The winter fuel mix in my AO gets about 6mpg in the better trucks.

My truck (LLV) has had four engines and eight transmissions in ten years. Before that I don't know because my old truck went for a PMI and never came back.

Now, one of the parts that can't be found is power steering pumps. Just keep driving it till it burns up
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not surprised at that kind of milage.  If the test driver was anything like my mailman it's either 100% throttle or 100% brake.  No in between at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LLVs haven't gotten over 8gal for years. When new maybe, not now with age an 10% ethanol gas. The winter fuel mix in my AO gets about 6mpg in the better trucks.

My truck (LLV) has had four engines and eight transmissions in ten years. Before that I don't know because my old truck went for a PMI and never came back.

Now, one of the parts that can't be found is power steering pumps. Just keep driving it till it burns up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, I was just giving a ballpark... I ain't gonna calculate wear and tear and current efficiency to come up with a more accurate number, this is GD not college dangit
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
They're using the Metris to fill the gap between the old box things and this new one. The tires are even with the body and they're bouncing off the curb at every stop. They're getting 1-2k miles out of the front tires, we're aligning them nearly every time they hit the shop.

There's a tray to hold the mail in place of the left seat, it's exactly at the height of the heater controls. Packages are hitting the controls and destroying them. They're burning up everything that is involved with the right front window, and killing left rear sliding door locks constantly.

The Metris is not well suited for the job, they won't last 20k miles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I miss the ugly design contest?  I could have done much worse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Mail delivery seems like such an obvious use case for a hybrid vehicle. So naturally, they aren't making them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

This. Stopping and accelerating every 50-100 yards is responsible.

Most police cruisers I've driven average 6-8 MPG. The new hybrids are better at 17-20.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My father was a rural mail carrier. Local routes are run by privately owned vehicles and the carriers got a mileage allowance to pay for them.  My father did the math and understood the allowance would pay for a new vehicle every 3 years.  There was not much left of them at the end of 3 years.  He short timed 3 vehicles.  One was the car I got - it had a broken frame when I got it after 2 years (but the patch job held it together well enough for my use).  One was a personal work truck that he only ran as emergencies.  The last was his retirement vehicle that he understood would be the last truck he ever purchased.

I remember his attempt at using an S10.  He kept breaking the shocks off their mounts.  That said, going up to a 1/2 ton was a lot rougher ride and a lot harder on his body.  His route was 100 miles a day, about 1/2 on gravel roads.  When the county graded the roads, it was not uncommon for him to get up to 4 flats in a single day.  He ran with a pair of spares in the bed, and a second pair mounted at the local tire shop.  His route had him in town around noon, so he would swap flats for the mounted spares and keep going.  I am pretty sure they also kept a couple unmounted tires for him as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My father was a rural mail carrier. Local routes are run by privately owned vehicles and the carriers got a mileage allowance to pay for them.  My father did the math and understood the allowance would pay for a new vehicle every 3 years.  There was not much left of them at the end of 3 years.  He short timed 3 vehicles.  One was the car I got - it had a broken frame when I got it after 2 years (but the patch job held it together well enough for my use).  One was a personal work truck that he only ran as emergencies.  The last was his retirement vehicle that he understood would be the last truck he ever purchased.

I remember his attempt at using an S10.  He kept breaking the shocks off their mounts.  That said, going up to a 1/2 ton was a lot rougher ride and a lot harder on his body.  His route was 100 miles a day, about 1/2 on gravel roads.  When the county graded the roads, it was not uncommon for him to get up to 4 flats in a single day.  He ran with a pair of spares in the bed, and a second pair mounted at the local tire shop.  His route had him in town around noon, so he would swap flats for the mounted spares and keep going.  I am pretty sure they also kept a couple unmounted tires for him as well.
View Quote

I live on a rural route. My carrier has an AWD mini van.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Right now, a lot of our local carriers are using Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds.  FWIW, my father did most of his years on the route with American full sized cars - the only issue is they had to have a solid frame.  When they stopped making solid frames and went to split frames - he went to trucks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF is that thing they made?... Looks horrendous and gets horrible mileage.

Why couldn't they just buy some 1-ton Dodge or Ford Cargo vans like I see the Amazon delivery guys driving around in?

Maybe someone that knows someone that knows someone on Capitol Hill got themselves a sweet .gov contract deal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn’t all this depend on the mail person driving ?  Our regular mailman parks and walks our little area, when the mail lady does his route, she flys through the area in the truck, goes as fast as she can between mail boxes you can hear the brakes working..LOL.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember the postal services being criticized for the jeeps because they only got something like 8 mpg.

The new vehicle looks like it has a much bigger payload, and is much more functional, but it seems like it should be capable of better mileage.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Life imitates art or something.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The standard LLV's are 1987 to 1992 Chevy S10 pickup trucks with a different cab and the steering moved to the right side.

Horrible gas mileage because they are under powered and have a high drag factor. Maximum recommended speed 55 mph. No air conditioning and insufficient heat because the all metal interior isn't insulated.

Literally 30 to 35 years old and expected to give service six days a week. Carriers in mid to large cities have to make two runs each day during the Christmas season because all of their packages won't fit in a single trip. Sunday deliveries became a necessity for the same reason.

I don't think any employee gives a damn about what the vehicle looks like if it's comfortable to work out of.

The 2001 - 2002 FFV's "flexible fuel vehicles" were Ford Explorer's that could use E85, but never did as far as I know. It was a requirement by Congress to be "green" without any regards to the utility of the option.

I challenge everyone to drive their vehicle two blocks and shut it off for ten minutes all day long and see what sort of mileage you get. That would be typical of a city route.

Mounted routes, have mailboxes at the curb and you have to stop at every mailbox for miles all day. Again try this at home and see what sort of mileage is possible. Same goes for brake pads. An average mounted route has 750 stops not counting the traffic pattern you need to take to arrive at your first stop and the trip back to the station after your last stop.

New brake pads and rotors every six months is common. Don't get me started on transmissions....

View Quote

I did not know this.

Now I want to see one of those bodies put on a 4X4 S10 frame with big tires.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol did Pixar design that fuckin thing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is the ugliest deliverly vehicle ever.
View Quote

Yes it is
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

Well nobody gives a fuck what we want, and the people in charge want our mail all fucked.

The people supporting the people in charge - some of them also want our mail fucked, and the rest just want to sit home and jerk off thinking about Mother Earth and don't care about anything else.

Nobody involved in any of that gives a flying fuck why the MPG number is what it is.  This is not unrelated to our society starting to collapse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is the ugliest deliverly vehicle ever.

Yes it is
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

Not so fast, I give you the Fiat Multipla... (or the Aztec)

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Ugly and stupid looking very fitting of a govt agency

Fuck the epa
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get the constant stop-go-idle will lead to poor fuel economy, so whatever.

What can this do better than say an upfitted Ford Transit or Ram Cargomaster for the same role?

View Quote

@4FishLimit

The "upfitted "  Mercedes metris van suck Joe's shit stained taint. A purpose built vehicle is needed. It may look ugly as fuck,  but if it works I wouldn't care. That said this doesn't look like "the one"  doubt they consulted carriers when this thing was drawn out. Probably got the dimensions all wrong after the sketch napkin used to xlean up the blowjob  to win the contract got smeared.

As others stated, it looks tall. While that sounds good on paper, many areas I have delivered in have so many low hanging branches I can see these things busting windshields easy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In a courier vehicle, the goal is to maximize cargo volume & weight... not haul around more vehicle all day. Considering energy density, batteries are bulky and heavy and extra electric motors are heavy. Gas/diesel is tops for energy density and range.

Not to mention more complex system means more PM.  Hybrid vehicles have all of the PMs of an ICE and an electric car. How long before most of the hybrid fleet was running on fuel only because of shitty PM.
View Quote

Seems like they missed an opportunity here.  Electric drive train.  Small, modular battery bank to serve as a buffer, and a modular generator running at a constant load all day.  The battery and generator could be installed with quick connects and easily removed for maintenance or replacement.  What would it take?  5-10hp generator that could run all day on a 5 gallon tank? Probably less.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seems like they missed an opportunity here.  Electric drive train.  Small, modular battery bank to serve as a buffer, and a modular generator running at a constant load all day.  The battery and generator could be installed with quick connects and easily removed for maintenance or replacement.  What would it take?  5-10hp generator that could run all day on a 5 gallon tank? Probably less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a courier vehicle, the goal is to maximize cargo volume & weight... not haul around more vehicle all day. Considering energy density, batteries are bulky and heavy and extra electric motors are heavy. Gas/diesel is tops for energy density and range.

Not to mention more complex system means more PM.  Hybrid vehicles have all of the PMs of an ICE and an electric car. How long before most of the hybrid fleet was running on fuel only because of shitty PM.

A 10 hp generator will put out at max, 6500 watts.  It'll burn more than a gallon/hour.  

That machine needs to run for 8 hours just to make the power stored in a model 3 battery pack.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A 10 hp generator will put out at max, 6500 watts.  It'll burn more than a gallon/hour.  

That machine needs to run for 8 hours just to make the power stored in a model 3 battery pack.  
View Quote

I think your fuel consumption estimate is high.  Also, a model 3 battery back has like 300 miles of range.  Nobody is delivering 300 miles of mail in town per day.

Let's look at that a bit and use your numbers even.  8hr work day.  8hrs to get 300 miles of range.

8hrs at 50% load for 150 miles of range.  
8hrs at 25% load for 75 miles of range.

Now I know the actual numbers will be a little different than that, but I think there is plenty of headroom to work with.  I think somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that their route was something like 8 miles a day in town.

Start with a full pack, let genny run all day to keep battery topped off.  Park with a full pack.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think your fuel consumption estimate is high.  Also, a model 3 battery back has like 300 miles of range.  Nobody is delivering 300 miles of mail in town per day.

Let's look at that a bit and use your numbers even.  8hr work day.  8hrs to get 300 miles of range.

Now I know the actual numbers will be a little different than that, but I think there is plenty of headroom to work with.  I think somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that their route was something like 8 miles a day in town.

Start with a full pack, let genny run all day to keep battery topped off.  Park with a full pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your telling me if I drive an electric car at 1 mph, I've got 300 hours of operation in a battery pack?  Because it has a range of 300 miles.

do you understand that accelerating an object takes more energy than one in motion?

your argument is terrible.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't drive that to a goat fu%kin!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So your telling me if I drive an electric car at 1 mph, I've got 300 hours of operation in a battery pack?  Because it has a range of 300 miles.

do you understand that accelerating an object takes more energy than one in motion?

View Quote

No.  That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the 300 miles of steady cruising capacity is more than enough (in my estimation for discussion purposes) to handle 8ish mile of stop and go, suburban neighborhood, type areas.  We aren't talking drag racing here (even though some mail carriers drive that way). Motor sizing and gearing come into play also when you only need a top speed of 35-45 mph.  100ft spurts, part of which will be spent slowing down.  Max acceleration could be software limited for efficiency.

I'm not talking about a do-all vehicle to handle in town, rural, and town to town transport. That would be retarded.  Too much compromising involved there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]
That is one butt ugly POS.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm saying that the 300 miles of steady cruising capacity is more than enough (in my estimation for discussion purposes) to handle 8ish mile of stop and go, suburban neighborhood, type areas.  We aren't talking drag racing here (even though some mail carriers drive that way). Motor sizing and gearing come into play also when you only need a top speed of 35-45 mph.  100ft spurts, part of which will be spent slowing down.  Max acceleration could be software limited for efficiency.

I'm not talking about a do-all vehicle to handle in town, rural, and town to town transport. That would be retarded.  Too much compromising involved there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what your getting at now.  I'd say in the right situation, then I could see it with some adjustments to sizing and capacities.    

but there's still an elephant in the room:  it needs to be cheaper to procure than the competition, and all the same product, because government.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I see what your getting at now.  I'd say in the right situation, then I could see it with some adjustments to sizing and capacities.    

but there's still an elephant in the room:  it needs to be cheaper to procure than the competition, and all the same product, because government.
View Quote

Naw, it just needs to appear that way until the paperwork is signed, because government.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Naw, it just needs to appear that way until the paperwork is signed, because government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now, add the ton + of packages a day (real weight). Now, who the fuck is going to maintain an electric drive train? We can't get fans or light bulbs replaced in the PO. Now, you want to plug in 35 trucks (in a small office). If electric drive trains worked for delivery trucks, UPS would be running them hard.

Now, the contract for the new trucks calls for them to be able to be turned into EV, when the technology gets there.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@4FishLimit

The "upfitted "  Mercedes metris van suck Joe's shit stained taint. A purpose built vehicle is needed. It may look ugly as fuck,  but if it works I wouldn't care. That said this doesn't look like "the one"  doubt they consulted carriers when this thing was drawn out. Probably got the dimensions all wrong after the sketch napkin used to xlean up the blowjob  to win the contract got smeared.

As others stated, it looks tall. While that sounds good on paper, many areas I have delivered in have so many low hanging branches I can see these things busting windshields easy.
View Quote

@cccpNyC

Yeah function over form I completely understand. Obviously you've got some experience in the field, nothing wrong with a purpose built vehicle as long as it works best for the job, but like you said it sounds like this won't be the best fit either.

More .gov spending for the sake of spending I'm sure.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#38]
My route averages about 118 miles a day.  However, it's broken with a chunk in town, in the country, and back in town.  Miles broken down ~2/112/3 probably.  Boxes broken down ~60/160/60 probably.

How do these vehicles behave in snow and Temps below freezing?  We've had about 15 inches of snow last week and about 3 days with Temps above freezing in the last 3 weeks.

I would bet there is something like 75% of offices won't even have the ability to charge their fleets of all-electric vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Now, add the ton + of packages a day (real weight). Now, who the fuck is going to maintain an electric drive train? We can't get fans or light bulbs replaced in the PO. Now, you want to plug in 35 trucks (in a small office). If electric drive trains worked for delivery trucks, UPS would be running them hard.

Now, the contract for the new trucks calls for them to be able to be turned into EV, when the technology gets there.

View Quote

No, with things sized correctly.  It could potentially leave the factory with a full charge and never need to be plugged in again.  Genny running constant load all day, battery as a buffer for peak loads.  Without double checking, I believe that's pretty much how diesel/electric locomotives work.

Nobody is hauling around a ton+ in their Jeep now.  At least not all at once.  Payload cap on a wrangler is 1-1.3k lbs.  Most common delivery vehicles I've seen, as far back as I can remember, is old school mail truck (the tiny ones), Jeep, mini van, or compact suv (RAV4, CRV, etc.).  Town to town that I've seen have been mostly box truck or semi.

Maintenance? Somebody will just have to figure it out.  Mechanically, wouldn't be any bigger change than a new generation gas vehicle. In some ways more simple than gas or diesel.  The electrical portion doesn't need to be Tesla complicated.  It's a purpose built vehicle.  You want tunes? Sing to yourself.

Electric can be trouble in the cold weather.  Guess it's a good thing there is a gas/diesel powered genny onboard making heat all day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not pro EV, but this seems like the perfect use case for an EV.  known routes,  starting and stopping constantly, lower speeds, shittons of miles.

large lots to charge at night. Why not EV?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, with things sized correctly.  It could potentially leave the factory with a full charge and never need to be plugged in again.  Genny running constant load all day, battery as a buffer for peak loads.  Without double checking, I believe that's pretty much how diesel/electric locomotives work.

Nobody is hauling around a ton+ in their Jeep now.  At least not all at once.  Payload cap on a wrangler is 1-1.3k lbs.  Most common delivery vehicles I've seen, as far back as I can remember, is old school mail truck (the tiny ones), Jeep, mini van, or compact suv (RAV4, CRV, etc.).  Town to town that I've seen have been mostly box truck or semi.

Maintenance? Somebody will just have to figure it out.  Mechanically, wouldn't be any bigger change than a new generation gas vehicle. In some ways more simple than gas or diesel.  The electrical portion doesn't need to be Tesla complicated.  It's a purpose built vehicle.  You want tunes? Sing to yourself.

Electric can be trouble in the cold weather.  Guess it's a good thing there is a gas/diesel powered genny onboard making heat all day.
View Quote

You aren't a Letter Carrier! Daily my LLV carriers over a ton to start the day (that's only 50 40lb packages low average is 150 daily). One of the many reasons the PO trucks are POS, overloaded an under maintained.  An Rual Carriers have it worse. Electric can't do it or UPS would! Maintenance is a big problem just with the current fleet. Our trucks see a local shop that wins the bid for simple stuff. Other than that, it's a five-hour trip on a wrecker to the PO shop.

Yes, the new truck is purpose built, without an Electric Drive Train! If EV are forced on USPS, it will be a bigger clusterfuck then the Amazon contract.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You aren't a Letter Carrier! Daily my LLV carriers over a ton to start the day (that's only 50 40lb packages low average is 150 daily). One of the many reasons the PO trucks are POS, overloaded an under maintained.  An Rual Carriers have it worse. Electric can't do it or UPS would! Maintenance is a big problem just with the current fleet. Our trucks see a local shop that wins the bid for simple stuff. Other than that, it's a five-hour trip on a wrecker to the PO shop.

Yes, the new truck is purpose built, without an Electric Drive Train! If EV are forced on USPS, it will be a bigger clusterfuck then the Amazon contract.
View Quote

This.  They need to mandate the complete phasing out of LLVs whenever they settle on a new vehicle. I can envision these electric jokes and Metrises just getting shuffled around to places and filling in with 50 year old(soon) LLVs that keep catching fire and resulting in carriers dying in collisions that may have survived in a modern vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#43]
dumbasses
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's an idea, stop sending me mail.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone in one of the innumerable EV threads here worked for a bus company that uses EV buses said the maintenance is LOT less on the electric buses.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#46]
USPS delivers like 6 letters a year that I actually want, yet everyday my mailbox is stuffed with spam. Fix that instead.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
USPS delivers like 6 letters a year that I actually want, yet everyday my mailbox is stuffed with spam. Fix that instead.
View Quote

Do you think it's USPS generating most of your mail?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get rid of your mailbox and you won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here's an idea, stop sending me mail.
View Quote

Or just start delivering it every other day, rather than daily.

Viola - Instant 50% reduction in fuel costs - and similar reductions in vehicle wear, and mailman payroll budget.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Someone in one of the innumerable EV threads here worked for a bus company that uses EV buses said the maintenance is LOT less on the electric buses.
View Quote

Uh huh. Sure.

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2021/07/22/with-50-of-its-buses-inoperable-foothill-transit-searches-for-a-way-to-fix-its-fleet/
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top