Link Posted: 10/9/2019 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Very Nice!

I’m jealous!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do I do that...…..I was disappointed that I couldn't get rid of that crap???
View Quote
Don't use photobucket
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s a true collector piece.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
What unit was your Uncle with?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
ZOWIE!  That is really neat!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://postimages.org

I use this, no account needed, you can put an expiration time on the picture, it's real simple.

Great looking pistol, I've always wanted a Luger.
View Quote
Thank you!!  Reposted images without that stupid photobucket advertising crap.

Relluc: It has the white lettering under the safety.  This gun was not a reblue.  Uncle John brought back and kept it in his closet upstairs and the daughters kept it there in the shoe box ever since he passed on in 1980.

I have not fired it and will be taking it back to them tomorrow, so it will never be fired by me.

The gun remains unfired since WWII unless Uncle John fired it before he passed in 1980.

The magazines are not matching serial numbers with the gun but all parts have the "07" which matches the serial number of 4307.

All my Uncle John did was bring it back home and register it as required by Michigan law.  That is basically all I know about this gun because the daughters never told me about this gun until last week.

I don't know anything more about this Luger.

Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What unit was your Uncle with?
View Quote
IIRC 101st Airborne.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful gun!  Enjoy!

Is there a lettered code like “byf,” “DWM” or S42, crosses, etc?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
@RDak your pistol was made by Mauser. 1937 was the first year that the distinctive bumps were added to the rear of the frame to protect from the toggle, IRRC.

Could also be loaded with captured UK ammo.

Go get some decent ball and put a mag or two through it ;)
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

IIRC 101st Airborne.
View Quote
Ok cool.. not much 101st there but the 509th did do North Africa and Italy, very small numbers compared to 82nd which is why I asked.  I have family history with 82nd in both places so was curious if 82nd.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@RDak your pistol was made by Mauser. 1937 was the first year that the distinctive bumps were added to the rear of the frame to protect from the toggle, IRRC.

Could also be loaded with captured UK ammo.

Go get some decent ball and put a mag or two through it ;)
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok cool.. not much 101st there but the 509th did do North Africa and Italy, very small numbers compared to 82nd which is why I asked.  I have family history with 82nd in both places so was curious if 82nd.
View Quote
I'll ask the daughters tomorrow if they remember...…….my memory is from Uncle John and he passed 40 years ago.  So, my memory could be all wrong.

It could have been the 82nd...…..I am an old guy now and my memory ain't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
You may want to figure out what they plan to do with it long term. FYI storing it in a cardboard shoebox is a bad idea as cardboard collects moisture and can induce rust. My great grandfather’s police revolver was kept in a shoebox for a long time and by the time my grandfather got it from his older brother, it had rusted quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, that's in great shape.

Jealous...
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My memory sucks...…...here is Uncle John's memorial in the WWII site.

He was a paratrooper in this unit........whatever the heck that was?  Maybe you guys can tell me?

Maybe you guys can tell me more about his unit...…..it appears to have been some pre-special forces type of unit???  All Uncle John ever told me (and all his daughters ever told me) was he was a paratrooper in an airborne unit.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My memory sucks...…...here is Uncle John's memorial in the WWII site.

He was a paratrooper in this unit........whatever the heck that was?  Maybe you guys can tell me?

Maybe you guys can tell me more about his unit...…..it appears to have been some pre-special forces type of unit???

Thanks for any info.
View Quote
That unit was a joint Canadian and USA unit.  They were called the Devils Brigade.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That unit was a joint Canadian and USA unit.  They were called the Devils Brigade.

Regards
View Quote
Are you fucking shitting me!!??

All these decades later and Uncle John was in that unit!!??

Link
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
She’s a real beauty it sure would be hard not to run a magazine through it. I’d put a good coat of Rig on it before putting it back up. The old vinyl Browning hi power cases are good for long term storage the vinyl doesn’t draw moisture like cloth or release acids like leathers and the wool liner wicks moisture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
"I have not fired it and will be taking it back to them tomorrow, so it will never be fired by me. "

Hi! Here is Uncle John's Hi-Point back, truly a heirloom... ok thx bye bye!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
That Luger is in stunningly good condition - it is sweet!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
Ok, now that is freaking cool!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
That is awesome.  I met a man that served in that unit a few years ago and listened to him tell an oral history of his service and the unit. This was just after he had been to Washington for the unit receiving the Congressional Gold Medal.  He had that and a bunch of other memorabilia with him, including his V-42 knife.  You should see if you can find your uncle's

V-42 knife

The man I met has since passed away unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd need to see better pics, but I think the lighting and the oil make it look darker and shinier than it probably really is. Here is a 1939 good lighting and no oil on the metal. The early to mid year 1937's that were rust blued will have a dull blue gray color. The late 37's darker blue with the barrels looking much darker.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
My uncle who landed at D-Day sent one home in like new condition. Seriously amazing! He shot a German across the field who was trying to kill one of his buddies. That buddy went on a souvenir raid later that day and gave my uncle the Luger as a present for saving his life. My uncle said the livers were prize take home souvenirs. Getting it home was another matter. He said that his commanding officer gathered a bunch of guys together in a tent meeting and told them not to try to ship any guns home because they were collecting them and piles and destroying them. He said the officer held up a newspaper complete with picture of stack rifles and handguns they were about to destroy. My uncle sent the handgun home in a metal box of cookies from France. He put a false layer of foil in and hid the gun underneath the French cookies. He never thought it would actually make it home to Ohio, but it did.

He knew I liked guns real well and showed it to me when I was around 16 and that's when he told me that story. It was in amazing shape. My uncle passed away a couple years later and I was told that his son inherited the Luger. I know my cousin isn't into guns, so I hold out some hope that someday he will decide he doesn't want it in his home any longer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My uncle who landed at D-Day sent one home in like new condition. Seriously amazing! He shot a German across the field who was trying to kill one of his buddies. That buddy went on a souvenir raid later that day and gave my uncle the Luger as a present for saving his life. My uncle said the livers were prize take home souvenirs. Getting it home was another matter. He said that his commanding officer gathered a bunch of guys together in a tent meeting and told them not to try to ship any guns home because they were collecting them and piles and destroying them. He said the officer held up a newspaper complete with picture of stack rifles and handguns they were about to destroy. My uncle sent the handgun home in a metal box of cookies from France. He put a false layer of foil in and hid the gun underneath the French cookies. He never thought it would actually make it home to Ohio, but it did.

He knew I liked guns real well and showed it to me when I was around 16 and that's when he told me that story. It was in amazing shape. My uncle passed away a couple years later and I was told that his son inherited the Luger. I know my cousin isn't into guns, so I hold out some hope that someday he will decide he doesn't want it in his home any longer.
View Quote
Livers?

Seriously, if I were you, I would get in touch with him and let him know when he is ready to get rid of it you want first dibs.  And then make sure you follow up every couple months to make sure he knows and doesn't forget.

Folks have a tendency to forget things like that and someone will catch them on the right day and buy it right out from under you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top