Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2015 2:43:03 AM EDT
Title says it all.  Give me something good and tell me why I'll like without giving spoilers. My choice will be downloaded via NOOK.  Thank you in advance.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
To Los Angeles to London.

The Martian.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#2]
From where?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Ultramarines book 2 then 3

Encapsulates that doomer feel, and ends up with the heros inside the entrails of a gigantic alien and saving a planet, but being punished for it and sentenced to even worse
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Rohypnol  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rohypnol  
View Quote

FourthPNI
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
In before title change why are Los Angeles and London fighting?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From where?
View Quote

I know!!  Already tired from the circumstances surrounding the trip.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Lucifers hammer. Good doomsday book
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Armor by John Steakley.

Because if you've ever read starship troopers, you have to read it too. It's the law.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In before title change why are Los Angeles and London fighting?
View Quote

Video will be up on World Star shortly link - not!  
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Altered Carbon (2002) is a hardboiled cyberpunk science fiction novel by Richard K. Morgan. Set some five hundred years in the future in a universe in which the United Nations Protectorate oversees a number of extrasolar planets settled by human beings, it features protagonist Takeshi Kovacs. Kovacs is a former United Nations Envoy and a native of Harlan's World, a planet settled by a Japanese keiretsu with Eastern European labour.
In the novel's somewhat dystopian world, human personalities can be stored digitally and downloaded into new bodies. Most people have cortical stacks in their spinal columns that store their memories. If their body dies, their life can be stored indefinitely.
View Quote

Dude's gets commissioned by a rich dude to find out if he did commit suicide or if he was murdered, and to find out why.

It's long enough for your return flight too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:58:01 AM EDT
[#12]
For that kind of trip I would recommend this.

++

This....

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Only listen to me, no one else. Any book in the Horus Heresy series.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Ever read Iain M Banks Culture series?  The Player of Games, Use of Weapons, or Consider Phlebas, good start.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ever read Iain M Banks Culture series?  The Player of Games, Use of Weapons, or Consider Phlebas, good start.
View Quote

I fucking love the culture series. It's terrible there won't be any more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Haahaa in the Marines my back got murdered by a 140 lbs pack, and I was on that and wild turkey for awhile. Worked great!

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Snowcrash.

Snow Crash
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snow Crash is Neal Stephenson's third novel, published in 1992. Like many of Stephenson's other novels it covers history, linguistics, anthropology, archaeology, religion, computer science, politics, cryptography, memetics and philosophy.

Stephenson explained the title of the novel in his 1999 essay In the Beginning... was the Command Line as his term for a particular software failure mode on the early Apple Macintosh computer. Stephenson wrote about the Macintosh that "When the computer crashed and wrote gibberish into the bitmap, the result was something that looked vaguely like static on a broken television set—a 'snow crash'?". Stephenson also mentioned a book by Julian Jaynes, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, as one of the main influences for Snow Crash.[1]

The book presents the Sumerian language as the firmware programming language for the brainstem, which is supposedly functioning as the BIOS for the human brain. According to characters in the book, the goddess Asherah is the personification of a linguistic virus, similar to a computer virus. The god Enki created a counter-program which he called a nam-shub that caused all of humanity to speak different languages as a protection against Asherah (a re-interpretation of the ancient Near Eastern story of the Tower of Babel).

Snow Crash was nominated for both the British Science Fiction Award in 1993,[2] and the Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1994.[3]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
The flights no that long.

FWIW "Use of Weapons" is my go to book, I've probably read it around 40 times or so (About twice a year).
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Only listen to me, no one else. Any book in the Horus Heresy series.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming.  I'll let you know what I download before I leave.  Planning on re-reading the Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright and Hidden Order by Brad Thor (first Brad Thor novel).
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Wheel of time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to see the new James Bond and give us a review , comes out Oct 6 in England
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Starship Troopers

Duty, Honor, Planet was written by an Arfcommer (RikWriter), and is good.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Neal Stephenson, "Seveneves".

The premise, stated bluntly on page one, is that something causes the moon to explode. The ensuing 5,000 year story of humanity's response to that event is really well written, enthralling, and entertaining. I thought the character development was good and the science/engineering was at least plausible.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Neal Stephenson, "Seveneves".

The premise, stated bluntly on page one, is that something causes the moon to explode. The ensuing 5,000 year story of humanity's response to that event is really well written, enthralling, and entertaining. I thought the character development was good and the science/engineering was at least plausible.
View Quote

oh, that reminds me, I gotta get that one
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#26]
my favorite sci fi book is Armor by John Steakley
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#28]
One of my all time favourite books:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/earth-abides-george-r-stewart/1100623632?ean=9780345487131

Earth Abides by George R Stewart

Ray
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Be sure to see the new James Bond and give us a review , comes out Oct 6 in England
View Quote

I may have that opportunity.  I will keep you posted.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Snowcrash.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Snowcrash.

Snow Crash

Snow Crash is Neal Stephenson's third novel, published in 1992. Like many of Stephenson's other novels it covers history, linguistics, anthropology, archaeology, religion, computer science, politics, cryptography, memetics and philosophy.

Stephenson explained the title of the novel in his 1999 essay In the Beginning... was the Command Line as his term for a particular software failure mode on the early Apple Macintosh computer. Stephenson wrote about the Macintosh that "When the computer crashed and wrote gibberish into the bitmap, the result was something that looked vaguely like static on a broken television set—a 'snow crash'?". Stephenson also mentioned a book by Julian Jaynes, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, as one of the main influences for Snow Crash.[1]

The book presents the Sumerian language as the firmware programming language for the brainstem, which is supposedly functioning as the BIOS for the human brain. According to characters in the book, the goddess Asherah is the personification of a linguistic virus, similar to a computer virus. The god Enki created a counter-program which he called a nam-shub that caused all of humanity to speak different languages as a protection against Asherah (a re-interpretation of the ancient Near Eastern story of the Tower of Babel).

Snow Crash was nominated for both the British Science Fiction Award in 1993,[2] and the Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1994.[3]

Really, anything by Neal Stephenson is a good long read. 'Cryptonomicon' is a favorite of mine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#31]
http://www.amazon.com/Birthright-Rick-Partlow-ebook/dp/B005FMBIKY/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

hes a member here...forget his screename. pretty good. reading p2 now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Snakes On a Plane

Isaac Asimov
Martian Chronicles

Best ever written. IMHO.

Short story format.

London?

A Clockwork Orange.
Anthony Burgess.

Soccer hooligans got nothing on these cats, man.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Eon and Eternity - two books in that series by Greg Bear
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#34]
First and foremost thank you for the suggestions, and after some consideration I chose Snow Crash.  From the description and reviews the book currently fits in my wheel house.  I was also intrigued by Iain Banks’ Culture Series, Horus Heresey Series and Armor and have put them on a shortlist.  Lastly, the list that you all provided was a very good list.  

Just a quick update as to the quick trip.  My niece is studying this semester in London and has been diagnosed with gall stones.  She has endured this condition for two weeks and Doctors keep sending her home with pain medication without any resolution in sight.  To compound matters, her father has stage four melanoma in the lungs and spent the weekend in intensive care.  My sister asked me to go in order to help.

Wish me luck navigating the British healthcare system and any thoughts and prayers for my sister’s family would be appreciated.
Heartfelt thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Monster Hunter International
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Snowcrash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Snowcrash.

Snow Crash

That or The Diamond Age.  Crytonommicon was more entertaining IMO but it's not really sci fi. Neal Stephenson FTW
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#37]
The Shoal Sequence, starting with Stealing Light by Gary Gibson. Very good story. I read them all while flying.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll send you a free book in the raw, if you'll read it and tell me what you think.

Brothers separated at birth. One goes good, the other bad. Really bad.

Link between them unexplained. Discovered by government.

Machine is used to explore this link. Good guys versus bad guys stuff ensues.

Series continues, one of seven among ten others.

IM or email me, I'll toss it to you, and anyone else who'll actually read it and reply.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Title says it all.  Give me something good and tell me why I'll like without giving spoilers. My choice will be downloaded via NOOK.  Thank you in advance.

View Quote

As already mentioned, The Martian.  I read it on a PVG flight, so LHR is doable.

Good, easy read and entertaining.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Audiobook American Spartan about Jim Gant, isn't scifi but damn it was an interesting read
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Conquerors series by Timothy Zahn or if you like zombies the remaining series by dj molles.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Damn good book. Years since I read it. I shall again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Armor by John Steakley.

Because if you've ever read starship troopers, you have to read it too. It's the law.

Damn good book. Years since I read it. I shall again.
I retrieved my copy last time I was at my parent's house.  I'm saving it for my next flight.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Airframe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#44]
LA to London.  Watch 4 movies on the in-flight entertainment system and sleep for a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Eon and Eternity - two books in that series by Greg Bear
View Quote

That was going to be one of my recommendations.

I would also recommend the Reality Dysfunction . Humanity has split into two factions, the Adamists and Edenists based on the chosen technological path, the one uses neural nano-tech to control hardware while the other is genetically engineered to telepathically communicate with each other, with huge organic sentient starships and sentient habitats, then something happens in a frontier colony that rips a hole in the fabric of the universe and soemthing evil and undead begins to leak through threatening to engulf this universe.

Revelation Space is another one of my recent favorites, several threads in the story progress toward a converging point, an archeological dig pointing toward an ancient catastrophe that wiped out an alien race, a space crew in a huge ship traveling at .99c and carrying some nasty weapons and something else, an ex-soldier turned contract assassin hired by a mysterious madmoiselle to kill a certain someone, the mystery of what lurks inside the hyper-curved "shroud" and the final showdown. All pretty awesome in its galactic scope.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Heroin.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
The Strain, The Fall, The Night Eternal
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Monster Hunter International
View Quote

Don't do it! Otherwise you'll be like me and fly through it and the other four books in a month
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wheel of time.
View Quote
He might make it through that series if he was on a shuttle to Mars.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top