Posted: 6/7/2016 10:20:27 PM EDT
Assume both are in their prime.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Elephant

ETA: Assumes one on one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Utahraptors were about the size of modern polar bears. I'd bet on the elephant.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elephant
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally a animal vs animal thread that isn't bear vs ape.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna go with the raptor

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Finally a animal vs animal thread that isn't bear vs ape.
View Quote

Bear in a split decision.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Elephant, but he's not getting away without potentially mortal wounds.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Raptor would probably jump on it and disembowel it with the talons, few good slices from the talons and it would just have to follow and wait for it to bleed out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Elephant got his shit pushed in by Gwangi   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A6tNff9y98
Then Ymir kicked elephant ass again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1otm5SgGYNU Yes, I'm a feeloader so I can't embed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Elephant.  It's what's for dinner!  The raptor would have it half eaten before it even died.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote Utahraptor. IIRC they're like 6ft tall, 22ft long, and a half ton, not to mention it's great agility, so that qualifies as a "bad mother fucker" in my book. The elephant has size, strength, and bone density but it's ungodly slow in comparison. Once the raptor got past the head, it's done for
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Y'all need to learn about muscle and bone density.

An elephant would stomp that thing. Elephant hide is extremely tough as well.
View Quote

While I disagree, elephant hide is probably on par with what dinos had back in the day
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
We talking one on one, or what would be most likely to occur, 3 or 4 Raptors on a possibly weak bull elephant?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We talking one on one, or what would be most likely to occur, 3 or 4 Raptors on a possibly weak bull elephant?
View Quote

One on one. 3-4 raptors could kill anything
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Elephant. He's bigger, tougher, and has long tusks. Plus, the elephant knows how to rope-a-dope.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. Warm-blooded and quicker than you can believe, too. If the raptor did an ambush and managed to take out a hamstring before the elephant knew he was there, that would change the outcome. Otherwise, it's Tyson against Lee all over again.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep. Warm-blooded and quicker than you can believe, too. If the raptor did an ambush and managed to take out a hamstring before the elephant knew he was there, that would change the outcome. Otherwise, it's Tyson against Lee all over again.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some feel the raptor lineage was warm-blooded
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dinosaurs were warm blooded.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I vote Utahraptor. IIRC they're like 6ft tall, 22ft long, and a half ton, not to mention it's great agility, so that qualifies as a "bad mother fucker" in my book. The elephant has size, strength, and bone density but it's ungodly slow in comparison. Once the raptor got past the head, it's done for
View Quote

Don't overestimate what we know about the speed and agility of a creature that lived about 126 million years ago.  The sum total of the knowledge of what is know about Utahraptor is gathered from a mere handful of incomplete fossilized skeletons.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Utahraptor would ask if the elephant has a moment to talk about Jesus, but then when the elephant tries to shut the door SURPRISE TALON ATTACK
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raptors were theropod dinosaurs. Current therapod animals are warm blooded......
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't overestimate what we know about the speed and agility of a creature that lived about 126 million years ago.  The sum total of the knowledge of what is know about Utahraptor is gathered from a mere handful of incomplete fossilized skeletons.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is an unknown.

We can compare an alligator though...and it probably moved at some speed closer to an alligator than an elephant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an unknown.

We can compare an alligator though...and it probably moved at some speed closer to an alligator than an elephant.

Utahraptors descendents have no issue running down men
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Curtis Mamoth, "Archie" a fossil specimen at Nebraska Morril Hall, would be closer in time to your raptor. Google the pix and tell me if you change your mind.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Raptor is a professional killer with razorblades on all four corners. Elephant is a fucking vegetarian.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Raptor.  It can jump on the elephant's back and the elephant can't do shit while it slashes away with its toe claws.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Raptor.  It can jump on the elephant's back and the elephant can't do shit while it slashes away with its toe claws.
View Quote

That's the advantage but there aren't any vitals up there
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poachers routinely kill elephants by hosing them with AK's.  They don't get any vitals, but the animal dies of blood loss.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they may be right, but we know the elephant is warm-blooded. I'm sticking with a full-grown bull elephant.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Raptor is a professional killer with razorblades on all four corners. Elephant is a fucking vegetarian.

View Quote

So are hippos and yet crocodiles generally leave them a wide berth.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some say they were. Some say not. We know what elephants are.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, cause elephants do not know how to roll over and do not have a grasping trunk.

I predict utah raptor is smart enough to run away. If not, it gets ground to dust under elephant's feet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, and they were probably scavengers, or hunted stuff smaller than them.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#36]
The Utah Raptors are a minor league baseball team in Ogden.  They might have enough guys to take down a mammoth.  They might have to improvise some bows and spears because a Louisville Slugger won't cut it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Theyre not climbing Everest.

I'm gonna go split decision 60/40 for the elephant.  I could see a lot of early KOs for that pokey ass bird.  That said they'll be a few bloody deaths for the elephant.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd go with Ditka FTW.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#39]
mass is very hard to beat.  I'll take elephant bones and leather hide over bird bones and fragile construction any day.

pack of raptors? Bet's off.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Elephant would turn one or several of them into grease.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Bull African Elephant and it's not even fucking close.

Look at what a single lion or tiger does when there's a bull elephant around. It gets the fuck out of the way.  Utah Raptor is bigger than a Lion but it's similar business.  Also, the Raptors were group hunters (if the documentary I watched called "Jurassic Park" is accurate, so a single Raptor would especially GTFO.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Elephant would turn one or several of them into grease.
View Quote

Yep. Tyson v. Lee.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Elephant all day long.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Elephant stomp.

i see the raptors potential but I do not imagine it acts with the sort of boldness that would be required to not get stomped and kill the elephant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#45]
RIP mdk.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

RIP mdk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm going with:

African poachers get the drop on both of them and they both die.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm going with:

African poachers get the drop on both of them and they both die.  

http://gdb.voanews.com/4890A640-5A62-475C-930F-940A6A607D7A_cx4_cy5_cw94_mw1024_s_n_r1.jpg
View Quote

I am the hunter now
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I was wondering too. We all learned the Raptor was a highly intelligent pack animal from Jurassic Park. A group of them would definitely be able to take down an elephant,  single probably not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top