Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hilarious when I see oilfield execs posting on LinkedIn about America this and USA that, yet all they want to sell is imported Indian and Chinese products. Fucking two-faced people, including consumers. Everyone wants something but they don't want to pay shit for it. Finally, 3rd world countries are like, fuck this nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Legalize weed and all other drugs.

Mandatory death sentence for forcible felonies: murder arson rape kidnapping robbery etc.
View Quote

There it is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Honestly with our broken society I don't see much of a better solution than - and I hate this - giving yet more power to the government to kill criminal civilians legally. Our current setup is blatantly not working.

As to your other point? Everything except antibiotics should be OTC and available in vending machines. Put them next to the machinegun vending machines and across from the grenade vending machines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legalize weed and all other drugs.

Mandatory death sentence for forcible felonies: murder arson rape kidnapping robbery etc.

Honestly with our broken society I don't see much of a better solution than - and I hate this - giving yet more power to the government to kill criminal civilians legally. Our current setup is blatantly not working.

As to your other point? Everything except antibiotics should be OTC and available in vending machines. Put them next to the machinegun vending machines and across from the grenade vending machines.

Defund the police. After a period of adjustment, self defense will clean up the streets nicely and also eliminate Karens.

And I buy my antibiotics cash and carry no scrip. There should not be a restriction on any drug.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yet the worlds population continues to increase and the birth rate in poor countries has been on the rise for some time.

As far as the $2.15 a day I read it was something on the order of 600 million live on that or less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yet the worlds population continues to increase and the birth rate in poor countries has been on the rise for some time.

As far as the $2.15 a day I read it was something on the order of 600 million live on that or less.

Agrarian, which we should return to, requires kids.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
People don't wan to be slave labor in parts of the third world any longer? Oh no!

I think it's horrific that the USA does business with countries with labor camps, that work their citizens 12 hours a day for six days a week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, clearly you've never known anyone who has ever been incarcerated for longer than a weekend.

Prisons in this country are a trade school. They are not and have never been an effective deterrent to criminal behavior. People go there and with a rare handful of exceptions they come out the other end as much more capable criminals.
As for the concept of rule of law... Well, you will probably be finding out how hollow that has become soon enough.
View Quote

You would be wrong.  I personally know more than a few in for multiple-year sentences, and in each case, they deserved what they got.  Prison is a necessary evil for society.  They are not a deterrent precisely because they are not hard enough.  

Just because they current system is broken due to liberalism doesn't mean the entire concept is wrong -- as always, it is the liberals screwing things up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The left and the left leaning has always wanted near free or slave labor. Our left, their left ( communists, NAZIs , Islamist regimes ), and yes on explaining their anti freedom, anti capitalist, and anti Trump ( a capitalist) leanings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explains their anti-Trump agenda - they want Chinese slave labor to make their cheap stuff.

The left and the left leaning has always wanted near free or slave labor. Our left, their left ( communists, NAZIs , Islamist regimes ), and yes on explaining their anti freedom, anti capitalist, and anti Trump ( a capitalist) leanings.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You shift from disbelief and mockery to being shown - clearly - to hold an incorrect belief and quickly declare how it's no big deal and I'm probably a druggy.
That's honestly quite impressive. You're one abrasive chameleon.

Also I'm not the same guy you were debating earlier. User names are there for a reason.
View Quote

Let's cut back to the main point of the debate -- There is no slavery in the USA except for those convicted of crimes.

Show me how that statement is false.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Let's cut back to the main point of the debate -- There is no slavery in the USA except for those convicted of crimes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You shift from disbelief and mockery to being shown - clearly - to hold an incorrect belief and quickly declare how it's no big deal and I'm probably a druggy.

Also I'm not the same guy you were debating earlier. User names are there for a reason.

Your above statement is absolutely true. It also wasn't your original statement - which is absolutely false:

Name a place in the USA where slavery is legal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your above statement is absolutely true. It also wasn't your original statement - which is absolutely false:
View Quote

Sure, ok.

Clearly, I should have stated the fact that imprisoned people lose many rights of free men... maybe then it wouldn't have confused some readers.  I wrongly assumed everyone here knew that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You would be wrong.  I personally know more than a few in for multiple-year sentences, and in each case, they deserved what they got.  Prison is a necessary evil for society.  They are not a deterrent precisely because they are not hard enough.  

Just because they current system is broken due to liberalism doesn't mean the entire concept is wrong -- as always, it is the liberals screwing things up.
View Quote

Ok, what would be suffienctely horrifying for your criteria?

Superjail! | Superhell | Adult Swim UK ????

Would this suffice? Or is it not punitive enough?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't fucken care.

Take care of your stuff, make it last and buy American if you can.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Correct. It can even still be racial, just not as it was centuries ago.
View Quote

It’s out of sight and out of mind.  The schools here will still keep filling the heads of the students with concepts of privilege and scream about historical wrongs that ended 150 years ago.  Then there is the way the CCP treats the Han Chinese and minorities like Uighurs within China.  

Oh well, the programming doesn’t work on everyone, and not everyone goes to a college where it is worse.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I buy some clothes that are made in the US. I easily pay $30-$50 more per item than something made overseas.

Imported fabric. Cut and sewn in US.

I’m in international shipping and I make an effort to buy US made goods whenever possible. After that, it’s Canada, Europe, Japan, non-China Asian countries, then Mexico, and China.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good, maybe people will learn the meaning of "buy once cry once" again.

I've taken TONS of cheaply made clothing to the thrift stores over the last few years. I had a whole closet that was mostly full of shit that I would scroll past while trying to find a shirt to wear.

I'd rather have 1/5 of the clothes I had before, but have them ALL be quality clothes that look great, are stylish, and will last.

The cheap clothes (with collars that get screwed up the first time through the wash) are a false economy.
View Quote

me too on the well built clothes.   Those are mostly gone.  A sport coat isn’t the quality of 30 years ago.  I remember how well built things were as a kid of the seventies.  I had lots of hand me down dress clothes from my brother, you didn’t wear them out easily.  When my step dad passed away I cleared out his stuff for my mom.  His coats and jackets were solid as hell.   Too bad he was way taller than I am.  The materials were better, the craftsmanship was better,  the liners were done with as much care as the outer layer.  These days suits are rubbish until you spend a lot of coin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If global prosperity is rising to the degree that sweatshops are not economically viable, THAT IS A GOOD THING.
View Quote

Exactly.  This is how it is supposed to progress.  We had our sweatshops here in this nation, and we evolved beyond them.  Exporting manufacturing is a good thing.  It brings places out of 3rd world conditions.  Prosperity and hope for the future go up, birth rates go down...and the Greenies should love how much more environmentally responsible lifestyles are as societies progress.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Exactly.  This is how it is supposed to progress.  We had our sweatshops here in this nation, and we evolved beyond them.  Exporting manufacturing is a good thing.
View Quote
Gross. I'm with Mosley on globalism.

Oswald Mosley on multiculturalism

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cheaper to open factories in Latin America than the US. Less regulations, less oversight, less overall costs.
View Quote

Higher risk of seizure by communists elected by jungle peasants who cannot read and want stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Lol it is very rare for Orvis to have U.S. or even European made clothing.  They offshores along with the rest of them.  Their local factory outlet is loaded with Indonesian, Vietnamese, Bangladesh, Indian, etc clothes.  The last cool grab I got there was a wool hat made in Poland. I bought it because it was well made.   At first when I picked it up I expected an England or Scotland label.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WTF are you babbling about?????  Slavery was abolished in 1865 and if you think prison is slavery then you need a lobotomy & to be castrated.
View Quote

He obviously doesn’t know.  It’s his screen name.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slavery is legal in the US except those who are not convicted of a crime. Thank god everything is a crime.

Wait...
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What are boomers gonna spend their shekels on?
View Quote

Premium bourbon and younger women.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Higher risk of seizure by communists elected by jungle peasants who cannot read and want stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheaper to open factories in Latin America than the US. Less regulations, less oversight, less overall costs.

LOL, yet American business does specifically that and open up a ton of stuff in Mexico since it is cheaper and politically safe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just random observations.

1. In terms of "globalization" and economic debates almost nobody brings up thar the post-WWII "glory days" were never going to be permanent. It was a temporary situation of the US being "last man standing." Everyone else was FUBAR to some degree or another as the war happened on their turf, and the Soviet Bloc & China essentially "withdrew from the game." And the Third-World was far, far, more "Third-World'y" than it is today.

That's not to say the US government hasn't done plenty of stuff that's been asshat pants-on-head stupid, or downright harmful/evil that's impacted the well being of Americans in terms of economic & trade, because of course they have. That's what governments do best. But in broad strokes, what's happened, and is happening, was and is inevitable.

If you hold to ideas like "everyone in the world is just a little American waiting to get out..." Or think overall that representational democracy & free-market capitalism is better & right, then you've got to goddamned let them do it. That doesn't mean some shitheads in D.C. should be selling the family farm for some magic beans either though.

2. You, the consumer, the little guy... always pays, always.

Most here understand that corporate taxes just get passed along in the price of everything, eventually winding up coming out of the wallet paying for goods and services by the end-consumer. And the costs aren't just the taxes, some is all the tax attorneys, accountants, and bookkeeping required too.

Protectionist trade practices are no different, no matter what form they take.

You and I pay for it. Tariffs, or other policies that try to force or keep industry in-house & onshore just create costs that are passed along to you and I. Whether it's the direct cost of the tariff on the product, and the retaliatory tariffs the other countries impose hurt whatever you are exporting, messing up income and domestic jobs. The other countries never sit still and just take the hit on our tariffs. What are we going to do, say we'll nuke them?

This is an unwinnable game. It's so bad, most people don't know or understand that the Great Depression was so long and so deep because everyone in the world responded by "circling the wagons" with protectionist economic & trade policy.

And yes, It absolutely sucks if key stuff for the Industrial base, economy & consumer goods all go overseas and it suddenly stops. A war, revolution, natural disaster, whatever... but the alternatives just push you further and further into a planned economy. And those always work out great, right?

3. There's definitely an issue with "tsunamis of cheap rubber dogshit at Walmart" but like tariffs & protectionisim, it's another "cure is far worse than the disease" situation.

If one has an older house from the 1940s & earlier, or just been in one, even a nicer upper class one, you'll notice how tiny stuff like closets in bedrooms were. Because yes, people bought less clothes and hung onto them a lot longer, and it was much like that for almost everything else.

And the rise of "modern consumables. (TV, electronic media, massive Darwinistic evolution in marketing/advertising...) with its inherent push to overseas rubber dogshitify everything, arguably does siphon off money people might put elsewhere, like savings or make more leaps into actual appreciating assets, than spending it on depreciating assets/consumables.

But, there's a big flip-side to this. If you're poor, then the choice for something you pretty much can't avoid absolutely needing, like pots & pans so you can actually cook, or whatever else that's not a unimportant trinket, your choice may be the rubber dogshit version or nothing.

Inevitably, someone will immediately suggest the poor person should "be frugal" and "swallow their pride" and buy second hand pots & pans from a yard sale or a thrift store, rather than the rubber dogshitty ones at Walmart. That's okay, and not "wrong" per-se. But what such advice fails to understand is that if everybody tried that in some theoretical rubber dogshit-free America, it's that flood of rubber dogshit which made the used pots & pans, good USA-made or dogshit ones, available at the yard sale or Goodwill store in the first place.

Supply/demand/price curves never-ever go away. Even for used pots & pans. Without the supply of cheap rubber dogshit pans from China or wherever, the used pan supply in Goodwill will be far smaller, and/or the prices far higher, and the poor person that needed pans is still screwed.

And "striking a balance" with government regulation isn't going to work well, probably not at all, and even if it could, we're shuffling in the direction of planned economy again.

And if you've got some counter-argument about some specific circumstance or industry that bothers you, if we disassemble the argument piece by piece, at the bottom of it all is no different than some Reddit coffe-shop-communist stating: "Obviously, capitalism has failed here..." when inevitably, it's the government meddling that caused the problem, or created a circumstance where one particular "capitalist" entity could take unfair advantage of the situation.
View Quote

How dare you steal my dreams and childhood?

If it's something I don't like, it's because the government is corrupt and evil. The post wwii boom could have gone on forever if they hadn't fucked it up with the fiat petrodollar!
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If your job can be automated, it needs to be. Shitty, repetitive work is not for humans that is for machines.

Humans are for creativity
View Quote

You vastly overestimate the number of creative people.  Most people are drones.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
China's aggregate wage hour is significantly higher than Mexico's, even with the perpetually suppressed Yuan fixed exchange rate set by the CCP.

And the demographic decline is going to gut their labor pool. And the 35% of their agricultural population that works 1-2 acres per capita, on a terrible farmland to population ratio well in the bottom 50% of world rankings that doesn't support the population as it is. Requiring massive imports. And they pay for the shortfall with the exports drien by the once large cheap labor pool that's now ending.

And the population will age out of farming & manufacturing faster than deaths will reduce internal demand.

This is why China floods Mexico with Fentanyl & Methamphetamine precursor chemicals for the cartels. Because it's cartel violence and fear/bribery/dysfunction  that keeps industry from moving there.

Mexico is a net food & oil exporter. They're directly attached by road & rail to US markets. They're closer across the Atlantic to Europe. They can access Asia across the Pacific. And they have no bottlenecks like the Suez & Panama Canals.

And for the most part, nobody fears/hates Mexico for much geopoliticaly. So nobody is going to be stopping Mexican imports/exports with a naval blockade over some sort of incident.

China is fucked.

Hopefully they just take the pain, and don't start WWIII as an excuse to keep the population from going torch-n-pitchforks on the CCP, and also use the war to keep the PLA busy, lest they get "other ideas."
View Quote
Excellent post.  Deserves it's own thread.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are child slaves in the US.  Slavery is rampant on the reservation.  Neither makes the news much.

If you are looking for peer reviewed CNN articles, I ain’t got those.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are child slaves in the US.  Slavery is rampant on the reservation.  Neither makes the news much.

If you are looking for peer reviewed CNN articles, I ain’t got those.
View Quote

We're discussing LEGAL slavery.

Murders happen in the USA too, does that make murder legal?

Rather surprised I have to explain this but I guess GD.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If global prosperity is rising to the degree that sweatshops are not economically viable, THAT IS A GOOD THING.
View Quote

100% this
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#33]
We import fabrics from a number of areas and the increasing costs of labor is interesting to watch. One of our customers relocated much of it's assembly and sewing to the DR because labor in the more " common" areas has gotten too high.

When we talk about costs and Mexico comes up , they are trending to be on the higher end of labor these days. Weird.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We import fabrics from a number of areas and the increasing costs of labor is interesting to watch. One of our customers relocated much of it's assembly and sewing to the DR because labor in the more " common" areas has gotten too high.

When we talk about costs and Mexico comes up , they are trending to be on the higher end of labor these days. Weird.

View Quote
I remember as a kid that Miami used to have a "Diamond District" and a "Fabric District." All the jewelry makers were huddled in a few blocks and same with all thr dress makers. My Abuelo built his fortune off those manufacturers in Miami. Now, the "Diamond District" is just some higher end vendors and the "Fabric District" is long gone.

Mexico has a rising middle class, especially since the PRI is no longer in power. The DR has been a fabric/sewing base of production for a while now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We're discussing LEGAL slavery.

Murders happen in the USA too, does that make murder legal?

Rather surprised I have to explain this but I guess GD.
View Quote

Lol.  GD never fails to fail.  Thanks for taking the bar a notch lower today.  

I’m out of this idiotic discussion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably for the best.   GD is in rare form when you have to explain the difference between legal and illegal
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Probably for the best.   GD is in rare form when you have to explain the difference between legal and illegal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And other people think things are illegal even though they're literally constitutional amendments.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And other people think things are illegal even though they're literally constitutional amendments.
View Quote

Are you saying things that are amendments don't carry the force of law?   Like, oh, the 2nd amendment?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#39]
mexico will build your shit
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top