Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are a few photos from the event. An absolutely awesome event. Everyone was on-point when it came to authenticity and mindset. We had roughly 40 GIs and about 20 Germans. We're already planning next year's event to be held at the same property.

Enjoy

The German side. That's a full-auto MG-42. They had both SS and Fallschirmjagers, like in the original battle:

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome pics!
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome pics!
View Quote

Thanks! Pretty happy with how they turned put.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the ammo cost for an event like that? I can remember spending $30 on powder and caps for my Civil War guns back in the 90s. I can't imagine full auto non reloadable blanks or even ammo for the Garands. I did have a Spencer rifle that I made to shoot 45LC blanks. It wasn't terrible back then. I reused the Smith carbine rubber cases.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Fantastic. Is each member responsible for the costs of their uniform or do you pool the funds used for the event?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's the ammo cost for an event like that? I can remember spending $30 on powder and caps for my Civil War guns back in the 90s. I can't imagine full auto non reloadable blanks or even ammo for the Garands. I did have a Spencer rifle that I made to shoot 45LC blanks. It wasn't terrible back then. I reused the Smith carbine rubber cases.
View Quote

Now a days, 7.92x57mm blanks are running about a buck a pop.  Looking at feeding an MG42, which runs between 1200 to 1500 rpm (about 15 to 20 rounds per SECOND)...you'll soon discover that live MG's are a rich man's toy.
The alternative?  Propane and oxygen.  A sparkplug is installed where the chamber would be.  A coil and gas solenoids (and circuit board) replace the bolt, rails, etc...  Gas lines and electric run out the back and are plumbed into gas regulators and a battery.
All the sound of a machinegun... Uses about $5 worth of gas all weekend long!

Attachment Attached File

My '42... Made in 1944 in the Gustloff arsenal in 1944.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fantastic. Is each member responsible for the costs of their uniform or do you pool the funds used for the event?
View Quote

I'll chime in.  Most groups have individuals fund their own impression.  There are times when a group might pool funds for a major unit expense ( tentage, vehicles, radios, etc)
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now a days, 7.92x57mm blanks are running about a buck a pop.  Looking at feeding an MG42, which runs between 1200 to 1500 rpm (about 15 to 20 rounds per SECOND)...you'll soon discover that live MG's are a rich man's toy.
The alternative?  Propane and oxygen.  A sparkplug is installed where the chamber would be.  A coil and gas solenoids (and circuit board) replace the bolt, rails, etc...  Gas lines and electric run out the back and are plumbed into gas regulators and a battery.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7785/FB_IMG_1676838626748_2_jpg-2843814.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7785/FB_IMG_1676838626748_2_jpg-2843814.JPG

That makes much more sense.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like others answered your question, but I'll chime in. The hard part is finding a reliable source for good blanks. As soon as a place has them, they seem to sell out.

That said, our Germans brought 3,000 rounds for their MG-42. Talk about dedication!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much, yes. In our unit new guys can borrow stuff for a bit until they have a basic impression built, but there is an expectation for them to get on it and not rely on borrowing stuff.

I've also been selling a lot of militaria at my shop lately, and amazingly, WW2 stuff is still floating around out there, so I'm able to get it pretty cheap for guys.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Subscribed
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks like others answered your question, but I'll chime in. The hard part is finding a reliable source for good blanks. As soon as a place has them, they seem to sell out.

That said, our Germans brought 3,000 rounds for their MG-42. Talk about dedication!
View Quote

Atlantic Wall has been my go to for many years ( when I'm actually needing blanks... I buy my propane for the MG42 at Wal-Mart!)
I understand Rob had some health issues over the winter that affected production... I'm thinking he'll have the business back to normal soon
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Atlantic Wall has been my go to for many years ( when I'm actually needing blanks... I buy my propane for the MG42 at Wal-Mart!)
I understand Rob had some health issues over the winter that affected production... I'm thinking he'll have the business back to normal soon
View Quote

AW is also my go-to, but .30 carbine hasn't been in stock lately. Fortunately I'm on the mortar squad so I don't see much infantry action and dont go through many blanks.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top