Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Told my son that being a parent is doing the hard stuff.

He found out what that means.

Granddad’s just want the fun part..

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the kind words. We’re excited and blessed. We also know it’ll take a bit of time. Even though I’m dog shit tired, every time I look at her, it’s all worth it.

https://i.imgur.com/lCc0CDm.jpg
View Quote

she's adorable.  congrats!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You will never sleep again.  Wait till they're in there teens out at night.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
6 month old baby here. That period is but a vague memory now. It’s tough, but it gets better.

Just realize your baby has zero circadian rhythm. All it knows is hunger or no hunger. It’s pointless to over analyze or fret over it at that point.

Around 3.5 months old my baby started sleeping 7pm to 7am. Best thing ever. He’s on a solid schedule and life is good

View Quote

Well said.

Just accept that the next few months are going to be horrible with regards to sleep.

Once they start sleeping 4-5 hrs it's tolerable but by the 5mo mark for us we were getting a solid 7-8hrs of sleep and its been great ever since.

Try to transition them to a crib as fast as possible. Everyone will sleep better and the baby doesn't constantly smell mommy (and her milk if she is nursing). That will make the biggest difference.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations! This will be the best times of your lives. You will never forget when your child is small. Cherish these days.

That said, one kid is easy. Seriously, having one hid is like having a pet. Two kids is actual work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Our daughter was born last Tuesday, too! Birthday buddies. Congrats, OP!

M'lady and I are tagteaming with who gets up with her. Seems to be working good, and thankfully she sleeps pretty good so far, and even when she wakes up fussing, she's easy to calm with either a changing or feeding, and goes back to sleep rather quickly. I consider ourselves very lucky so far, but I realize it can change as time goes on. ::knocks on all the wood within reach::

I'm taking 8.5 weeks off from work. I gave up my usual winter and summer vacations and have been banking my accruals ever since we found out she was pregnant last December, so I won't lose any pay, thankfully.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Pfft, one baby???

Father of twins here.

Older son was 2 when the twins were born, went from 1 to 3 kids overnight.

I can go months at a time without sleep.

You have no idea how easy you have it
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, have a newborn here as well.  I have 2 older kids, so I forgot what it feels like to go without my  cz sleep.  I love her, but holy shit .
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You have to sing

Go to sleep
go to sleep
go straight to sleep
and please don't wake up until 6AM.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dont tiptoe around the house either to try to keep baby sleeping.
keep the normal noises, etc and let baby get used to it

otherwise a pin drop will wake them up
View Quote

Great advice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
"Hey friend, I know you aren't getting a lot of sleep right now...."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My son is now 8 weeks old but still has another 2 weeks before he is "full term" so we get to deal with every hard stage of newborn for a lot longer. My poor wife has to wake up every three hours to feed him and he takes about 45 minutes to feed and burped or else is puke city.  I take my 1 year old daughter watch at night as we still have not broken her of wanting a bottle in the middle of the night.

Every child has there own needs, you might get lucky and have one that sleeps through the night quickly...or one who struggles. Take it one day at a time, let your wife know that she is doing an amazing job and you appreciate all the hard work, her job is taking care of baby.. that means you get to take up all the slack that she might normally do.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
That time is hell in that way.  On the plus side, you'll be too sleep-deprived to remember most of how bad it was.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
First year was rough for my wife and I, we both were like zombies. Getting on a routine sleep schedule early is important, resist the urge to let them sleep with you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine didn't sleep a full night for the first two years
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is sleep? Seriously. I guess it hasn’t been that bad, as I have gotten more than my wife, but I am dragging. Baby girl seems to be fussy and fights sleep between 12:30-2am. All other times it’s feed and sleep for 2-5 hours.
View Quote

With military background in MOS which is typically associated to carrying lot of heavy shit in the woods with little to no sleep (tabbing with bergens), I thought I knew a thing or two about sleep deprivation.

Turns out I was wrong. There are totally new levels of sleep deprivation that you can reach by having kids.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is sleep? Seriously. I guess it hasn’t been that bad, as I have gotten more than my wife, but I am dragging. Baby girl seems to be fussy and fights sleep between 12:30-2am. All other times it’s feed and sleep for 2-5 hours.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

/laughs in having an almost 2 year old child and wife is due in 2 weeks with our second

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
My nephew's wife just had their 1st last tuesday... This is the first advise I told him... Sleep deprivation is a real thing with new borns... Then shitty diapers changing...
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, Mom used to give my brother and me Paregoric when we wouldn't sleep.

Of course, it's no longer available, but rumor has it a few drops of vodka works pretty well, too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats OP!

Being a Daddy to a little girl is the best thing in the world. Cherish every moment, it goes by faster than you know
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You sleep when the baby sleeps.
View Quote

This.

New borns are asleep more than they are awake. If you only have the one kid, just sleep whenever they are sleeping.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.

New borns are asleep more than they are awake. If you only have the one kid, just sleep whenever they are sleeping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You sleep when the baby sleeps.

This.

That works if you can fall asleep/nap once you're awake.  Unless I'm absolutely exhausted, once I'm awake, I don't really get to nap.  My wife, who works from home, and can nap whenever/wherever, "omg i'm so tired."

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Our daughter was born last Tuesday, too! Birthday buddies. Congrats, OP!

M'lady and I are tagteaming with who gets up with her. Seems to be working good, and thankfully she sleeps pretty good so far, and even when she wakes up fussing, she's easy to calm with either a changing or feeding, and goes back to sleep rather quickly. I consider ourselves very lucky so far, but I realize it can change as time goes on. ::knocks on all the wood within reach::

I'm taking 8.5 weeks off from work. I gave up my usual winter and summer vacations and have been banking my accruals ever since we found out she was pregnant last December, so I won't lose any pay, thankfully.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144217/20210816_102559_jpg-2054833.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144217/20210815_153009-01_jpeg-2054835.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144217/20210814_110806-01_jpeg-2054836.JPG
View Quote

Look at that, Congrats to you as well!
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#25]
It gets better, but your next worry-free, full night's sleep will occur when the kid is about 30 (years).
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top