BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an instapot.   What is different about the results?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pressure cooker. Seriously it's amazing.

Use the Instant Pot, they will peel very easy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I had no idea it was such a complicated topic.  
View Quote

It’s not, I always thought it was. boiling water, cold eggs, 20 minutes later shell peels off, no problems. Been doing this since November 2019.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Perfect peal every time
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Perfect peal every time

Quoted:

The eggs will damn near peal themselves.

Can one of you guys video tape this?

I want to hear these eggs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Use older eggs.
Immediately ice them thoroughly after they are boiled.
Let them get older.
Crack them thoroughly on all sides and ends.  Real thoroughly.  Roll them on the countertop to make sure.
Open the air bubble end under running water allowing it to lift the shell from the egg as you procede.
As the shell loosens, roll the egg between your hands as if rolling a meatball.
You're welcome.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I absolutely hate to type this. This is not how I was ever taught to make eggs, either growing up or at chef school. For whatever reason this works great at high altitude. Bring water to a rolling boil, gently dump eggs into boiling water with a strainer. Boil 13 to 14 minutes. I mean rolling boil, no cover. Drain, cool in cold water. It doesn't matter if you peel them right away or the next day, shells almost fall off. Fully cooked yoke and never green.

You may have to adjust the time by altitude but I haven't had a bad batch since I started doing it this way. Give it a try.

I also peel them under a small stream of running water to help wash off the shell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Crack eggs, pour into an Eggie, boil a work weeks worth at a time. Get tired of boiled eggs, boil a weeks worth of mini omelettes at a time in the Eggies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Use older eggs so some water evaporates and you get a small air pocket.  Put eggs in pot, bring to a rolling boil.  Take pot off heat and leave lid cracked, allow to cool.  Smack large end of egg on table and peel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Crush n' roll
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All of the suggestions in this thread, plus one more - make 3 or 4 eggs more than you need, 'cause you're still gonna fuck 'em up anyway.
View Quote

I always thought those were just considered quality control samples for the chef.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the old lady do it, works awesome every time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#13]
you need a glass about 3x the size of the egg
add a few ounces of water
add cooked egg
cover top opening of glass with hand
SHAKE like a mad dog....

egg peeled..

Chef
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I use this. Bought after I saw it recommended in GD. I love it.

Amazon Product
  • SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Dash Rapid Egg Cooker is the ORIGINAL (and most trusted) egg cooker on the market, for perfect eggs, your way, EVERY TIME, we guarantee it!
  • QUICK + EASY: Short on time? Simply choose your preferred eggs and set the timer. The auto-shut off function prevents overcooking, and the buzzer will alert you when your eggs are ready. Its so simple, even your kids can use it
  • VERSATILE: This is the PERFECT appliance for picky eaters, large families, or those who have busy schedules. Hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, individual omelets, and all within minutes of the push start button - it couldn't be easier!

Then smack the egg so the shell cracks, roll it around under some pressure so the whole shell is cracked all the way around, then peel. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Kitchen 6
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Works for me.

Link
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the water, shells slide right off. Seriously, try it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pro tip:

Tap the more rounded end of the egg before you boil it.  Make sure it 'crunches' just a little.  Boil egg.  Peels like a dream.

Proper hard boiled egg procedure:

Tap egg to get a tiny crunch, as above.

Put eggs in pot of cold water.

Turn heat on high, bring to a boil.

As soon as a rolling boil is achieved, move pan off heat, and cover.

Wait 15 minutes, pour cold water into pot to stop cooking.

Chill eggs, and peel under cold running water.

Come back and post Thank you @Danner130.

View Quote

I always pierce the rounded end with a thumbtack before putting them in the water to boil.  Sounds like the same effect you are sharing.  Works well.  Seems to allow a little water inside the shell to create a layer between the egg and the shell.  Shell just slides off when you peel.  Use the ice water after cooking tip as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Add salt to the water
View Quote

This.

Or was it baking soda?

Maybe both work similarly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Automatic electric egg cooker (mine is a Hamilton Beach). You don't have to worry about a timer as the doneness (is that a word?) of the eggs is determined by how much water is put into it. The measuring cup also has a small point on the bottom to puncture the end of the eggs. Additionally, it's faster and uses less electricity than boiling a pot of water on the stove.

When the buzzer goes off, immediately immerse the eggs in cold water for a few minutes, then roll them on the counter top and peel under cold running water.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Use eggs that are about a week old. The fresher they are the harder they are to peel.
View Quote

Yep
start with cold water
end with ice water
little salt in the water

dang it now I'm hungry for deviled eggs
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#22]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
A wam soft boiled egg with a dusting of S&P is life changing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They slip right off in one piece
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pro tip:

Tap the more rounded end of the egg before you boil it.  Make sure it 'crunches' just a little.  Boil egg.  Peels like a dream.

Proper hard boiled egg procedure:

Tap egg to get a tiny crunch, as above.

Put eggs in pot of cold water.

Turn heat on high, bring to a boil.

As soon as a rolling boil is achieved, move pan off heat, and cover.

Wait 15 minutes, pour cold water into pot to stop cooking.

Chill eggs, and peel under cold running water.

Come back and post Thank you @Danner130.

View Quote

@Danner130

I haven't tried cracking the egg before cooking.  Don't you get leakage?

Everything else is my preferred method, except that I add a Tbsp of white vinegar to the water, which softens the shells.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I cook mine in the air fryer instead of boiling water. They go into the ice bath and I tap the fat end and peel from there under water. The shell usually shucks right off once the water gets under the shell membrane.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Roll the egg across the counter then peel
View Quote

This too!  Also, turn a spoon upside down and slip it under the shell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Use eggs that are about a week old. The fresher they are the harder they are to peel.
View Quote

This is true. Having a supply of fresh eggs, I've experimented with letting them 'age' in the fridge. A few weeks old are super easy to peel. Day old is a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Jacques Pepin pops a pinhole in the large end before cooking, then drains them and crashes them around the pot, then ice water.

They should never truly boil. I get them close to a boil, then pull them off the heat and cover for 12-15 minutes. Depends on how creamy you want the yolk.

I was gifted 2 dozen yesterday, now I'm thinking I might stink up the house and truck for the next couple days
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Age them, then let the wife do them.  She can do 2 while I do one as her little fingers are much more dexterous.  She boils them, drains hot water, adds cold, drains, adds cold and ice.  Let sit for a while.  Fresh eggs are a bitch, we get them from a gal with chickens, so they are days old at most.  We are the only country that refrigerates fresh eggs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have water boiling before you put them in. Keep eggs refrigerated until water is boiling. Since I learned this we haven’t had a problem. Slowly lower them in the water.

Wife gets the water boiling then removes the pot from the stove and adds the eggs, she said it helps to prevent them from cracking. Me, I put them in while boiling and take my time.

This is a proven method. Follow it. We boil eggs every night for the pups breakfast.

ETA: The key is cold eggs and Hot water.........not the way you crack them after boiling. We just roll them across the counter with a little pressure.
View Quote

This is by far the best method I have ever used.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Use the Instant Pot, they will peel very easy.
View Quote

This.. Instant Pot .. cup of water.. dozen eggs on the trivet.. large eggs 4 minutes.. extra large 5 minutes.. natural release 5 minutes.

Run under cool water when done. Easy peel eggs every time.

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Is OP a big endian or a little endian?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I love hard boiled eggs. I've tried every truck in the book to peel them without destroying them and nothing has worked. I've tried I've water, tried running them under water, tried poking a hole, tried tapping before booking, tried the shell remover devices. Nothing works. NOTHING. So, I no longer boil eggs. If I want eggs I'll just make scrambled eggs or dry an egg.

Fuck hard boiled eggs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Roll the egg across the counter then peel  
View Quote

After soaking the eggs in cold water I drain the pan and roll them around in the pan to break up the shell before peeling.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Instapot egg boiling matter race.  What peeling?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. They damn near jump out of the shell.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Instantpot on a trivet or egg holder. Seriously, you'll never try anything else. Most of the the time you'll have one or two eggs you can't get WITH the shell on. It slips right off in your tongs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a spoon.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
vinegar in the water.

boil old eggs, not new ones.

shock after boiling.

let cool completely.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I crack them a little then roll them around on the counter while applying a little pressure to crumble up the shell. If the shells are being stubborn I peel them under cold running water.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I just peeled 50 today, you should have made this thread earlier.

Pickled eggs
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Instapot 555 technique.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Boil for 15 minutes. Cool down in cold water. Crack the shell all over and start
the peel on one of the ends. You have to get under the membrane to get a clean
peel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Instantpot

Pressure cooked eggs are amazingly easy to peel.

ETA: I see this has been covered, but seriously. I’ve tried everything. This is by far the best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#46]
12 minutes is a pressure cooker. Run it in water awhile i still like them hot. When you cook them in a pressure cooker they peel perfect every time
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, they basically shoot out of the shell peeling them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically fall out of the shell
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#49]
This is going to throw a few people, but if you gently lay the eggs in a pot of already boiling water instead of bringing them to a boil and end with ice water you will have the easy to peel eggs you want.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Am I the only one that doesn't mind peeling them?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top