Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas tube roll pin no brainer. Bolt catch roll pill is cake.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use vice grips to get it started, tiny adjustment at a time.
View Quote

I use vice grips to put in the bolt catch pin..
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you have a brass pin punch drill a hole slightly larger than the roll pin in the brass punch.  Drill the hole about 1/2 as deep as the roll pin is long. When installing a role pin in the future, put the roll pin in the hole you made in the brass punch and it will make holding the roll pin a lot easier.
View Quote

Or just buy a set of roll pin starter punches...

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Bolt catch roll pin for sure, everything else is fairly easy
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Toss up on timing the barrel nut and sight base alignment without getting a cant.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
timing nuts
View Quote

Timing BAR nuts is infuriating.  

How I feel after I finally get that bitch timed.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Waiting on parts to ship.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The waiting after clicking "complete order".

Then once all the parts are finally here it is those little darn roll pins - trigger guard, bolt catch, gas tube, charging handle latch, FA assembly, etc - that get me.

Last two lowers (poverty ponies) have integrated trigger guards, so that is one taken care of.  Really like the no-FA uppers, so that is another one gone.  Last two uppers I did with side-charging uppers so no CH latch pin to worry about if swapping out to a larger paddle style latch, last CH I bought came with a larger paddle style latch for $1 less than milspec, so there goes another one.  Down to gas tube and bolt catch pins.

Got a set of roll pin starter punches, best $4 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Building is definitely the bolt catch roll pin.  Aero M4E1 lowers fortunately exist so I’ll likely never do another roll pin.  

Working on an AR would definitely be driving out FSB taper pins.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
not one single person mentioned the front takedown detent?

y'all have witch fingers or something?
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmmmm...I would say the bolt catch roll pin.
View Quote

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Launching the goddamn pivot pin detent into low earth orbit never to be seen again is a close second.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.wheelertools.com/ar-tools/ar-pivot-pinroll-pin-install-tool/156243.html

You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#13]
The spending money part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The gas tube roll pin can be a cunt because many of the gas blocks I've installed are curvy enough that it can be tough to fixture them.  

I've heard about people breaking off trigger guard tabs, but I've personally never had it happen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
BCRP
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Magpul polymer trigger guard + threaded insert + screws

No need for any roll pins!
View Quote

This.

https://entirelycrimson.com/products/trigger-guard-upgrade-screw-kit-for-ar-style-guards
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a razor blade to hold it, learned it on here years ago. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Bolt catch pin because no matter how hard I tried I always left a mark somewhere by that pin. I have gotten better though and haven't left a mark on the last few I've assembled.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I voted bolt catch roll pin, but I just put a damn PSA rifle together last weekend and that fucking roll pin for the trigger guard would not go in 100%.  It finally for ground by a dremel.  I hammered the dog shit out of that pile of ass, to no avail.  

Although that didn't go in all the way, it was still 10x easier to start than that damn bolt catch pin!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I enjoy everything except waiting. The waiting before and after the build is the worst for me. You place several orders for exactly what you want then have to wait for the delivery. Once most of the parts are there I start even though I’m usually missing a thing or two, then I get as far as I can without the parts I’m missing and have to wait all over again for them to arrive. Then when they finally arrive I can get the thing finished up and usually have to wait again to get to the range and fire it. Yeah It’s definitely the waiting that’s my least favorite part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Bumpstock shitposting
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hammer pin. Hurts my widdle fingers compressing the spring to get my slave punch in there.
View Quote

I use a thick chemical glove to hold the hammer down when installing the hammer and spring.  Makes it about a million times less painful.

Link
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Anything with peel washers.  Screw peel washers.  Screw any lazy engineers at any company that releases a product that uses peel washers.  It's the laziest dumbest shortcut to use instead of designing a product correctly.  After two run-ins with peel washers, I've since passed up good deals on good parts that used them because they're so retarded.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Building AR's is easy.
View Quote

You probably might not remember but you were one of the two members who helped me with the part that always gave me problems (i.e., dust cover spring installation).

You told me do it "fast" and don't dilly dally around and just "twist, quickly place in opening, ram the rod through"........worked like charm ever since!!

I was always trying to be way too exact in placing it all in and making sure it aligned all up......that was stupid because once you get the rod started into the spring the hard part is TOTALLY over for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That little clip that holds the ejection port door on
View Quote

I don't even bother, I buy uppers with the ejection port door already installed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hammer spring...
View Quote

the trick to installing the hammer is to have the safety flipped to FIRE so the trigger/disconnector has more room to wiggle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

there are tools that make that easy-peasy
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
The part where I spent $2500 on a really sweet dedicated 9mm build and then a year later my gov't prohibits it and tells me I have two years to destroy it or turn it in...
In the mean time cant even use it
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Trigger guard roll pin
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Dust cover spring
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Im saying other, because there isnt a single least favorite part, The bolt catch roll pin, the gas block roll pin, and the barrel nut all sucked. Though I did use a UTG pro slim handguard, which has its own type of barrel nut, so maybe that was the problem. But still, the barrel nut sucks, too.

*Edit*

I got one of these, and havent had issue with a rigger guard roll pin since, and Ive probably swapped that part out several times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate finishing one off the most... cause I gotta' start the whole thang over again!

It used to be the front pivot pin detent and spring until I learned the clevis pin trick.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dust cover spring
View Quote

Easy trick for that. I install them from the rear to the front. That way, as the axle pin is i far enough it is easy to hook the short end to the receiver, and it is a lot easier then to twist and hold the long leg while pushing the axle the rest of the way in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
calling yourself a "builder"
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Worst is waiting on parts. Still waiting on my barrel that I ordered back in April.  Everything else is done.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top