Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2021 3:32:48 PM EDT
The gibbs supplied scope broke, and now I have to get a new scope for it. It uses a 3/4inch scope with the Gibbs rings and mount, but I also have a 1 inch ring set that works with the mount too, so I could use either a 3/4in scope or 1in. What scope would you buy? a 3/4in repro, say from hi-lux? Or would you buy a modern 1in scope thats better in every way? I'm torn between having an original looking riflescope or putting a newer scope on it.
Not my pics:

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only seen one of those Gibbs A4s in person, and I'm about 90% sure the scope that came with it was a Hi-Lux.

I'd double check that if I were you, and if it's one of theirs, I'd politely contact them about it and see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only seen one of those Gibbs A4s in person, and I'm about 90% sure the scope that came with it was a Hi-Lux.

I'd double check that if I were you, and if it's one of theirs, I'd politely contact them about it and see what they say.
View Quote

Most of em did come with a Hi-Lux, but my example is an early one, with a scope from FM optics. The reticle rotated from crosshair to X while shooting. I also did a side to side comparison with a LPVO set at 2.5x, and it became evident that the FM was barely maginfied at all, it looked like a 1.5x.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Lyman Alaskan 2.5x

ETA: Glossed over the fact that it's a 7/8" tube. Looks like they do have a couple Weaver 330s, though, but that sticker shock.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, those are really nice rifles, I had one at one point and stupidly sold it.

Ebay and Gunbroker are good places to look for an older Weaver or Lyman that will fit that mount.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Is putting a new Leupold 2.5x20 sacrilege?
https://www.leupold.com/fx-ii-ultralight-25x20-wide-duplex-riflescope
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's supposed to be a replica so I would look for a Weaver 330 (or 440 which looks the same).  We sent our snipers into war with one of the worse scopes evah!  I think the Win. A5 that the Marines used was older and almost just as bad.  

Covered in the book but the editor cut a lot out when it came to criticism of the Weaver M73B1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO stick with what should be on there. I have the Hi-Lux generation 4 M73 on mine and haven't had any issues. I thought I read a while ago that as long as the Hi-Lux is an M73G3 or better, its a good scope.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW, the Chinese were making those replica scopes and replica Lyman Alaskans. The Alaskans were supposed to have been the scope on the A4 but both Lyman and Weaver had the same lens supplier (Bausch & Lomb).  B&L was overwhelmed so the Army agree to defer to Weaver.  B&L not only made lens for the army, but also binoculars, periscopes (for tanks), sighting optics for tanks, etc.   We even had an optical boresighter for the 20 mm Oerlikon AA gun.  Sarco and Numnuts (Gun Parts Intl) should have those replica scopes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several of those Rock Ridge repro rifles. I didn't care for the M73 scopes and replaced with M82g2 or older Weaver's off eBay.

I ordered replacement 30mm rings and put a SWFA Super Sniper 10x on one. With the sun shade on it looks good and loaded with .30 armor piercing it's my favorite tool for long range work.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
A weaver K2.5 while not correct is quite solid and old school looking.  Usually can find old K series for not a lot of money
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I rescued a bubba 1903 and it had a scope base I could not identify. Looks just like that Gibbs. Thanks op.

Where can I get rings?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought they used Unertle scopes?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's supposed to be a replica so I would look for a Weaver 330 (or 440 which looks the same).  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's supposed to be a replica so I would look for a Weaver 330 (or 440 which looks the same).  

Those prices! yikes. those would look best though.
Quoted:
IMO stick with what should be on there. I have the Hi-Lux generation 4 M73 on mine and haven't had any issues. I thought I read a while ago that as long as the Hi-Lux is an M73G3 or better, its a good scope.

That's good to hear-it is the correct scope to use really. 385 bucks for a repro is a bit high though, that is Lyman Alaskan money which was also issued.
Quoted:
I have several of those Rock Ridge repro rifles. I didn't care for the M73 scopes and replaced with M82g2 or older Weaver's off eBay.
I ordered replacement 30mm rings and put a SWFA Super Sniper 10x on one. With the sun shade on it looks good and loaded with .30 armor piercing it's my favorite tool for long range work.

From what i can tell with this repro, I'm not too crazy with M73 design scopes either. Thanks for the sugguestion on older weavers or M82s.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Marines had a 1903 with the 8x scope that was from Unertle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I rescued a bubba 1903 and it had a scope base I could not identify. Looks just like that Gibbs. Thanks op.

Where can I get rings?
View Quote

The base is a redfield junior mount, so any rings to fit that should work. The front ring should have a triangle shape interface, and the rear, two circles on the sides. The front slips in like a dovetail and the rear is set in place by two screws from the sides. You adjust for gross windage for the scope with the rear ring.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of em did come with a Hi-Lux, but my example is an early one, with a scope from FM optics. The reticle rotated from crosshair to X while shooting. I also did a side to side comparison with a LPVO set at 2.5x, and it became evident that the FM was barely maginfied at all, it looked like a 1.5x.
View Quote

Just rotate the scope in the rings 45° problem solved
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-037c2b5d9db3152928898e7595126bb2-lq
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-037c2b5d9db3152928898e7595126bb2-lq

I have a CMP built clone of that rifle.......... the scope is impressive
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
There's a Weaver K-10 on Rimfire Central which would match up nicely and a 10 power Unertl scope on Guns America Either of those two would be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top