BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will do a thread about Korea next. Nobody will want a carbine because of those bullet proof Chinese jackets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garand.

Lol @ the m1 carbine bandwagon all of a sudden

ITSLIGHTSOITSBETTER POUNDSAREPAIN

I will do a thread about Korea next. Nobody will want a carbine because of those bullet proof Chinese jackets.

Different environments will result in different gear preferences. Shocking stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Johnson
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As an infantryman in the Pacific, I would want an M1 Garand.  

Not sure if being a marine would change my mind.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There is a lot less flexibility these days. CentCOM GO1 is pretty much the standard for all Combatant Commanders now.

And know a couple of O5 and 1 E9 who have been relieved of duty for being caught with personally owned handguns and ammunition in a combat zone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of a moot point I'd say, you'd carry what you were issued based on your rank and job classification What you want doesn't even enter into it.

Multiple books and personal conversations with veterans support the fact that Marines often used other than their T/O weapon.  I am not saying that everyone had a choice all the time, far from it. But there was definitely flexibility.
Still goes on today.

There is a lot less flexibility these days. CentCOM GO1 is pretty much the standard for all Combatant Commanders now.

And know a couple of O5 and 1 E9 who have been relieved of duty for being caught with personally owned handguns and ammunition in a combat zone.

One of my officers brought a personally owned pistol grip shotgun and two handguns to the gulf war. I used a locally sourced underfolder AK more than my M16A2 in Africa. They’ve really cracked down on that stuff?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Japanese were small and half starved.

15-rounds instead of 8. Lighter weight. More compact. Disease and heat casualties were as dangerous as the Japanese.
View Quote

Dang, I though those were 20’s…
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Would prefer an M1 Carbine, but I imagine I would carry what I was issued.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
1919 - Ditch the tripod, fieldcraft a sling and add barrel wrap/carry handle and shoot from the hip on the move with some shortened belts if needed.

Sure you wont be amazingly accurate - But you’ll be able to spray 30cal at close quarters and penetrate jungle to stop bonzai charges
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1400 rounds a minute??? That's 23 rounds per second, not doable at that time.  I will believe 140 rpm, 2.3 rps .
Yeah, I'D carry that, even though it'd take three men and a boy just to lug the ammo, let alone the weapon!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having been a Marine infantryman in the 1970's I have some idea what I would prefer. Give me a Stinger. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgecTgbz3ik&feature=youtu.be)
100%

1400 rounds a minute??? That's 23 rounds per second, not doable at that time.  I will believe 140 rpm, 2.3 rps .
Yeah, I'D carry that, even though it'd take three men and a boy just to lug the ammo, let alone the weapon!

Aerial machine guns often had a higher cyclic rate of fire than their ground combat counterparts.  Effective opportunities simply didn't last very long in the air and the more lead in the air per second, the more damage it would do.  Higher ROF means more heat, but there's a whole lot of wind over the gun.  It's not a problem there.  Different on the ground, but evidently the Marines were cool with it.

I totally buy the cyclic ROF being a lot greater for a Stinger AN/M2 vs your basic M1919A4.  And I absolutely get why that was useful, just like the PPSh's absurd ROF was useful for the Soviets.

(Just have a few friends as ammo bearers...)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
everyone loved the BAR man

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will take this time to suggest that if you do something that allows for it.. listen to Hardcore History's Supernova in the East.  Absolutely fantastic telling of the war in the Pacific from before the invasion of China.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What weapon would you carry in the Pacific as an infantry US Marine in WWII if you were able to choose?
I will take this time to suggest that if you do something that allows for it.. listen to Hardcore History's Supernova in the East.  Absolutely fantastic telling of the war in the Pacific from before the invasion of China.

As a broad overview it is an ok series. But my big beef is that Carlin (a self professed liberal) does go into storyteller mode at times and over exaggerates to tell a better story. The Japanese lost the war the day they attacked the US. He glosses over the inevitable and paints the Japanese as something greater than they actually were and allied victories as happenstance and luck. In reality the Japanese were contained as a regional power to the Western Pacific by Midway in June 1942. They simply did not have in industrial capacity or natural resources to go toe to toe with the US on the strategic level.

Carlin read a lot of books on WWII but he clearly lacks the depth of the formal education to draw his own conclusions. He largely avoids first hand period sources. He is repeating others theories.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew an old guy who was a Raider.   He said he carried  Kabar knife and a bottle of whatever booze he could find.   They discouraged him from having a gun because he would probably just shoot someone and give away his position.   The man swore until the day he died that the Corps just wanted him dead.  

His son had him buried with that knife.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Tommy gun with 30rd mags prefer 50 or 100 rd drum mags would be Awesome with a back up 1911....
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the idea of the Thompson or the grease gun for close dense jungle fighting, but unless you had a supply of loaded 30 round mags coming to you it would suck balls. You would end up somewhere cramming those mags full with your thumbs.

I would just go M1 Garand and a couple sacks of grenades.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tommy gun with 30rd mags prefer 50 or 100 rd drum mags would be Awesome with a back up 1911....
View Quote

Drum mags were noisy & heavy. You see them in pics from time to time but they were somewhat rare.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Drum mags were noisy & heavy. You see them in pics from time to time but they were somewhat rare.
View Quote

They werent issued to the Mil in large capacities.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They werent issued to the Mil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They werent issued to the Mil.

Yes they were:

More pics & info here:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/war-drums-the-thompson-drum-magazine-in-combat/

ETA: nice edit.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The M1 carbine for me. I wish I never sold mine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hope so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

@Southernman077 link to your Korea thread?

To the original question, I’m in the M1 carbine camp as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Old_Painless busted that myth a few years back when he soaked and froze a couple of Chinese army jacket and shot them with a carbine using ammo from the 40s and 50s.

The rounds didn't even slow down when they hit the frozen coat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
My grandpa used an m1 and a .45.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#22]
T-26 Tanker Garand and as many bandoliers as I could reasonably carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bet most of you who voted carbine have never run the Garand

the 110gr Round nose FMJ at 1900fps was a notoriously underpowered round

the M1 carbine was a REMF gun

Riflemen got the Garand

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/07FDC5DF-AC68-4557-A1A6-4B167211170B_jpe-2780788.JPG

View Quote

And yet somehow today 115-124 gn at 1100 fps is all the rage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#24]
M1 Garand
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#25]
M1 Carbine or M3A3 Grease Gun
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#26]
An M2 carbine if given the choice, if I can’t have that it would be the M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will also through in the Johnson Autocarbine, which was carried by at least one Marine officer.

https://i.imgur.com/MLch9qS.gif

View Quote

This.  Lighter than the garand and handier than the M1941.  
Still had a 22 inch barrel firing 30-06.

Linky
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes it was. AN/M2 .30 cal had a cyclic rate of fire of around 1000 to 1350 rpm (other sources say up to 1500):

https://www.liberatorcrew.com/15_Gunnery/02_30cal.htm

View Quote

Well, fornicate me! How do you control that?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Japanese were small and half starved.

15-rounds instead of 8. Lighter weight. More compact. Disease and heat casualties were as dangerous as the Japanese.
View Quote

Supposedly, up to 1/3 of wartime casualties were due to illness or accident... including friendly fire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-2641728/?page=1
@towerofpower94
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was. AN/M2 .30 cal had a cyclic rate of fire of around 1000 to 1350 rpm (other sources say up to 1500):

https://www.liberatorcrew.com/15_Gunnery/02_30cal.htm

Lots of practice?

The AN/M2 .30-cal was designed to be mounted to aircraft, but the "Stinger" showed that guys could manage it somehow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
An M2 carbine if given the choice, if I can’t have that it would be the M1 carbine.
View Quote

I doubt any factory M2s made it to the front. But there were definitely field modified full auto M1s. There were 30 round mags in the PTO by late 44.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll take a 5 in/38 DP gun on a Fletcher class destroyer.  Some of those tin can crews worked in real close to shore to support the infantry.  I believe it's also tradition on Navy ships to have one mount crewed by Marines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll take a 5 in/38 DP gun on a Fletcher class destroyer.  Some of those tin can crews worked in real close to shore to support the infantry.  I believe it's also tradition on Navy ships to have one mount crewed by Marines.
View Quote

I don’t think small boys had Marines on them. Marine Detachments were usually only carriers, battleships and cruisers.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top