Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
And and y'all might be interested in this from Reddit a while back. Guy modded an AR lower to take the kreb mags

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/d32bnc/wait_are_we_doing_9x39_builds/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And and y'all might be interested in this from Reddit a while back. Guy modded an AR lower to take the kreb mags

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/d32bnc/wait_are_we_doing_9x39_builds/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

https://i.redd.it/vazor2gp53m31.jpg
View Quote
Neat

But mags are $50 each.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
it's less then .60 a round at target sports, for a subsonic round i didn't think that was that bad.  it's not like you are mag dumping a caliber like this...
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought MAS Defense or KAK had some 9x39 uppers...

I’d rather see Wolf 300BO
View Quote
One of my friends has a KAK upper in 9x39 and it is fun as hell to shoot suppressed. I personally put a few hundred rounds through it. I will be building one as well as soon as tax season rolls around. Maybe as a Christmas present to myself. There are definitely companies making parts for it.

9x39 stuff
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Neat

But mags are $50 each.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat

But mags are $50 each.
True but to be fair at the current status of 9x39 I wouldn't feel bad about it. I'd just pick up 2 or 3 and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
PSA KS-47 might work for that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cue Picard and WTF is THIS shit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can tell 9x39 is dead when the fact the one company building the first US made VSS Vintorez clone is offering it in multiple calibers EXCEPT for 9x39...which the original rifle was based on.
Cue Picard and WTF is THIS shit?
9x39 wasn't a thing here in the US when that company was designing the VSS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haven't people been waiting years for cheap 9x39 to become a thing? I'm pretty sure it's vaporware at this point.
I thought the Wolf/Tula ammo has only been here for about a year.
It has. But all the combloc bois were hoping 9x39 would get imported and we all thought it'd be cheap like 7.62x39, and 5.45x39.

That said, only a handful of companies are starting to develop barrels and rifles so it may be a while.
And the ones who did started making retarded decisions, like designing an AR gas tube that isn't any of the current standard sizes.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/So-fess-up-Who-s-on-the-list-for-a-TandE-9x39-upper-from-Wolf-shooting-vid-pg-5-/5-2074950/?page=1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/9x39-where-d-it-go-/5-2223816/

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/9x39-wolf-ammo

DAY 646.
That sucks, I didn't know about that.

I just want a VSS clone.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of my friends has a KAK upper in 9x39 and it is fun as hell to shoot suppressed. I personally put a few hundred rounds through it. I will be building one as well as soon as tax season rolls around. Maybe as a Christmas present to myself. There are definitely companies making parts for it.

9x39 stuff
View Quote
Which can is he using?
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
9x39 is just about as dead as 6.5 Grendel is.
View Quote
Speaking of, there's supposed to be some new/better mag options for Grendel this year, too.  It'll reignite with a vengeance if PPU ever fulfill their domestic contract.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
it's less then .60 a round at target sports, for a subsonic round i didn't think that was that bad.  it's not like you are mag dumping a caliber like this...
View Quote
Speak for yourself; I want a gun that sounds like a big wet fart when I open up on a sounder
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Krebs MB47 9x39 built on a Sharps receiver. I bought Tula 245 gr. from Krebs for $0.55 a round from Krebs. Bought some Wolf 278 gr. from SGAmmo for not a lot more.

It is a killer. I just took a cow elk with mine with the Tula. One shot. Not a bang flop, but close to that. Lehigh Defense is working on ammo. I have some to test currently. The round is a subsonic dream.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I've really been getting into the 9x39 the last couple of months and have gotten some really nice loads for it so far.

A few positives about the 9x39.  For starters, it kicks 300 blk's rump where penetration is concerned.

Resists wind gusts better.

And has longer effective range.

And is more quiet out of the box even with wolf factory ammo.

Making it run with fast burning powders makes it even more quiet.  Lets' face it, I thought blk sounded more like garbage can lids banging together with Federal 220 gr suppressor ammo and I was NOT impressed and expected so much more from all the hype you saw about it.

Several companies are going to be releasing 9x39 products soon from bullets to mags.  Probably around shotshow 2020 if I were guessing, but one of the bullets that I am testing has shown more than 1 inch of expansion at 50 yards into water, and starting out with low 790 fps muzzle velocity while I was trying to find the floor of where it would start expansion.  Needless to say, I didn't feel the need to shoot any more of them even slower.  And even that low, they were stable and accurate despite a couple inches drop in POA which should be expected.

No, those bullets surely won't be cheap plinking ammo.  Nor would I expect them to be.  That's not what they're for.  If you want cheap plinking ammo, buy a 10/22

I've been shooting a lot of the speer 270 gr hotcor soft points.  They're $15/50 at midway right now.  About 8.2 gr of titegroup sips the powder.  And most of us already have a box of large rifle primers in the cabinet.

Haters gonna hate I guess.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Krebs MB47 9x39 built on a Sharps receiver. I bought Tula 245 gr. from Krebs for $0.55 a round from Krebs. Bought some Wolf 278 gr. from SGAmmo for not a lot more.

It is a killer. I just took a cow elk with mine with the Tula. One shot. Not a bang flop, but close to that. Lehigh Defense is working on ammo. I have some to test currently. The round is a subsonic dream.
View Quote
I have been testing a couple of the Lehigh bullets.  I'll share some of my notes with you if you'd like to drop me a PM.

I'd also love to hear more about your Elk.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I was sold when I saw two recovered FMJ bullets, one from each dug from rocky soil, of approx. the same bullet weight.  The long skinny BO was bent into an L, the 9x39 was slightly scuffed on the tip.  9x39 don't give a fuck.

I propose it be marketed as 9mm Sova (or similar Romanization of the Russian word for Owl) and use the TsNIITochMash logo (they developed the Vintorez);
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have been testing a couple of the Lehigh bullets.  I'll share some of my notes with you if you'd like to drop me a PM.

I'd also love to hear more about your Elk.
View Quote
Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a neat round, bet it's a hell of a lot of fun suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like a neat round, bet it's a hell of a lot of fun suppressed.
View Quote
It's suppose to be. Just a matter of if it can get a hold here in the states. Needs cheap fmj ammo and needs domestic ammo and domestic parts. Right now it is still the beginning phase it appears. But on paper the ballistics appear much better than .300 BLK.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When someone sells a million rifles that use 9x39 so that the ammo companies can scale up production to lower the per cartridge cost.
Doubt this ever happens, wasn't 9x39 created by the Russians to be the equivalent of 300 Blackout - a subsonic rifle round for special forces to use in suppressed AK's?
View Quote
It would be probably more accurate to say that 300 Blackout is the American equivalent of 9x39.  9x39 has been around for about 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’d ever there existed a caliber that would benefit from cheap steel case, it would be 300BLK.
View Quote
I'd put 6.8 in that column as well.  6.5 being available in relatively cheap steel case is a huge advantage for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I didn't know that. That sucks. Liked his posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caught the ban. It was terminal
Quoted:

He’s locked.
I didn't know that. That sucks. Liked his posts.
When did this happen?  And why?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Several companies are going to be releasing 9x39 products soon from bullets to mags.  Probably around shotshow 2020 if I were guessing,
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#23]
My 9x39 30rnd mags came in.  Bit of a mixup when they sent 6.5 Grendels by accident, so I got to see both.  For being so similar in profile, the 9x39 has much wider mag lips, though the body curve & follower appear identical.  Now I need to decide whether to mod these to fit the VZ receiver, or vice versa.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I'm committed now; just ordered a case of 245gr Tula ($.57/ea) and 278gr Wolf  ($.75/ea)  If Piedmont is still in business (website is suspended & the FB page updated last May) I may get some of their loadings as well.

57 cents for a steel case cartridge with a bullet that heavy seems pretty decent to me for something that's still quite obscure; that's about as cheap as MagTech 300BO (and a lot less scary, yet considerably more powerful)

I don't think dies are available just yet & I don't feel like reaming them myself (die & chamber reamers are around, as are gauges) hence the Berdan primed stuff to start out with.  I will enlist a buddy to ream the chamber, unless he wants to trust me with the tool.  I'm not sure why I always insist on turning barrels in the middle of the coldest weather of the year (it's time intensive) but I'll freeze my ass off yet again getting this Green Mountain blank profiled for the VZ58 receiver.  I'm going for a VSS clone-ish...thing, but I don't think I'll bother with a vented barrel; for simplicity it'll be short (likely half the 17" length of the blank so I get two barrels) and threaded at the muzzle for a big honkin' lightweight can.  Slap a cut-down MP5 foregrip under the chamber for the handguard, a modded PSL-stock at the rear, maybe a scope mount on the side & PSO-1/ZRAK to complete the look.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top