Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2024 6:43:13 PM EDT
Some years ago, I obtained a squirrel and made a small batch of Brunswick Stew with my father.  This was at my brother's place in central Virginia.

We're having a big family reunion there next spring, and I'd like to make Brunswick Stew again in a larger amount.

Squirrels are surprisingly scarce where he lives, so hunting them is not to be relied on.  Hunting them at my suburban home is out of the question for multiple legal reasons.

Where can I get squirrel?  Whole, butchered, doesn't much matter.  The one place I found online was $99 per squirrel, which is a bit out of budget.
https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/category-s/321.htm
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's gonna be hard to find for sale because most places they are considered game.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Squirrel season opened up here in pa on Saturday. I’m going back out tmw before work. Where in pa you at op? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
How many do you need? It's not legal to sell game animals but someone could give you some.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hunt now and freeze enough to meet your recipe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Short answer, you can’t.

Buy a 22, a hunting license, and go hunt some nearby public land.

The good news is almost nobody squirrel hunts anymore, so you will have the woods to yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JVD] [#8]
Wow, that's expensive for a tree rat. I'd rather buy kobe beef for that price
I do love me some tree rat though, but only when I get some shooting in.

Maybe ask in PA HTF if someone can do you a solid.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Cage free?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
Squirrel season opened up here in pa on Saturday. I’m going back out tmw before work. Where in pa you at op? https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/587392/IMG_2302_jpeg-3323453.JPG
View Quote

Bucks-Mont
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I smell a Lacey act violation coming from this thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I could pack a few on dry ice and ship them to you if that's legal. I'm 99% sure I have a few in the freezer right now.

Or, wait until maybe December and January and I could ship you a bunch of freshly killed ones, also on dry ice.

I shipped a bobcat hide on dry ice last year and it wasn't a big deal - I froze it, waited for a cold day ahead of a several-day cold snap, packed it into a box surrounded by insulation, put dry ice on it, and taped the box shut and shipped it. It's really much simpler than it sounds.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Short answer, you can’t.

The good news is almost nobody squirrel hunts anymore, so you will have the woods to yourself.
View Quote

Because of the oddities of PA hunting laws, I do not own a single gun that's suitable.  No semiautos allowed, the 357 revolver would require finesse that I don't have, and the knockoff version of a Single Six isn't accurate enough.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brisk:

Bucks-Mont
View Quote

I’m in Lancaster. I only hunt squirrels for a few weekends before deer season opens here in 5b. I’ll keep you in mind if I get more than I can reasonably keep with in game law limits.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Phil Robertson?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Squirrels R Us?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Because of the oddities of PA hunting laws, I do not own a single gun that's suitable.  No semiautos allowed, the 357 revolver would require finesse that I don't have, and the knockoff version of a Single Six isn't accurate enough.
View Quote

Is it different in 5c? In 5b we are using suppressed Ruger 10/22s lol
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]

That's ridiculous!   I'll send you as many as you want for $75 each.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
My back yard.
View Quote

If you're a reasonable drive from Staunton....
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop being a pussy and shoot them in your yard with a suppressor or cci cb caps/22 quiet
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]

I’m in Lancaster. I only hunt squirrels for a few weekends before deer season opens here in 5b. I’ll keep you in mind if I get more than I can reasonably keep with in game law limits.
View Quote

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Is it different in 5c? In 5b we are using suppressed Ruger 10/22s lol
View Quote

Uhh....

I've legally hunted once (thanks again Arowneragain) so I have no idea.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
great now i want to try kangaroo meat.
View Quote

I've tried it. It makes me jumpy
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Now you have an excuse to buy another gun!
Win-win as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't eaten squirrel in twenty years.  If needed, I would absolutely tear up some squirrel stew (Cajun style).  But I'm not going out of my way to do it.  Those days are behind me.  The hunt was the best part.  Went from 12 gauge to .22 rifle to MkII that I had drilled/tapped for Weaver bases with a Tasco Propoint II.  Lots of fond memories stalking the land at my "squirrel woods" back in my twenties.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy the cheapest, toughest cut of pork you can find, cut into tiny backstraps, then boil it for 6 hrs. 99% of the way there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Never heard of or seen it for sale anywhere.

Just realized VA squirrel season started a week ago. I'm going hunting tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Springfield, OH
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#30]
You can come and harvest as many as you want on my property.  I'll loan you my .22s .  Please eat the ones who have been chewing on my car wires and sawmill/chipper-shredder engine parts.  I will give you a shot of high end bourbon for each one you get.  Not kidding!  I'm on 40 acres of woods near front royal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#31]
$200 for a groundhog? Little Miss Murder Machine could have been making bank.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Short answer, you can’t.

Do you own a shotgun? Those work well too… Though I prefer a 22.

I bet you could find a used single shot shotgun or bolt 22 for under $100.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
great now i want to try kangaroo meat.
View Quote

I did not like Kangaroo. Would not recommend
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JVD] [#36]
View Quote

You got some chonky fox squirrels, good eating
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#37]
You can’t use a 10-.22?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dtrosch:
You can come and harvest as many as you want on my property.  I'll loan you my .22s .  Please eat the ones who have been chewing on my car wires and sawmill/chipper-shredder engine parts.  I will give you a shot of high end bourbon for each one you get.  Not kidding!  I'm on 40 acres of woods near front royal.
View Quote

We drive through Front Royal on our way there (even I hate driving on 81, and Briskette flatly will not ride on it).  We might stop at Dinosaurland on the next trip, just to say we did.

I can't find the picture, but squirrels made a nest in my inlaws engine compartment a few years back   Had Mom not been present, there would have been three dead squirrels that evening.  (Wrenching their necks in front of her was not gonna happen.)

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Brisk: (Wrenching their necks in front of her was not gonna happen.)

View Quote

Unless they're little babies, DO NOT grab a healthy squirrel and try to hurt them. They'll hurt you. Their claws are little and their teeth ain't exactly huge, but when properly skeered, they're as enthusiastic about getting away from you as can be.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Unless they're little babies, DO NOT grab a healthy squirrel and try to hurt them. They'll hurt you. Their claws are little and their teeth ain't exactly huge, but when properly skeered, they're as enthusiastic about getting away from you as can be.

View Quote

Leather work gloves helped.  I just threw them hard away from their minivan.  They do make funny squeakish sounds when you do that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#41]
You could feast like a king on squirrel here
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Triplelocked:

That's ridiculous!   I'll send you as many as you want for $75 each.
View Quote

I will send you some for $71.50, shipping included
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Get out and kill some. This is the only answer. If you need an air gun, get one. They are cheap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lugert:
I smell a Lacey act violation coming from this thread
View Quote
Shoot. Stew. Shut up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

They changed that about 5 years ago while I still lived in Pa.

PA game commission.

58 Pa. Code § 141.22 - Small game seasons
State Regulations
Compare
(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks, during any small game season with the following devices:
(1) A manually operated or semiautomatic rimfire rifle or manually operated rimfire handgun. The firearm must be .22 caliber or less, that propels single-projectile ammunition.
(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that propels multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than # 4 lead, # 2 steel, or # 4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to approval of nontoxic shot types and shot coatings). A centerfire shotgun's magazine capacity may not exceed two rounds. The shotgun's total aggregate ammunition capacity may not exceed three rounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#46]
i know a cat that will deliver to your front door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#47]
You do know squirrels just grow wild out in the woods, right?  And parks and city streets and neighborhoods?

They’re there free for the picking. Just go Haitian on them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Some of the most fun hunting with my father years ago was squirrel hunting.
Go kill some OP, it's a blast !!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
You do know squirrels just grow wild out in the woods, right?  And parks and city streets and neighborhoods?

They’re there free for the picking. Just go Haitian on them.
View Quote

There's a group.of five raccoons which visit my fish pond nearly every night....
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top