Fantastic Guitar Player. Maestro.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Who do you know?

Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This video has a woman pressing a bass guitar up against her boob. Maybe that will hold your interest . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMryWoRRqUc
View Quote
Tal Wilkenfeld.  Fantastic bass player (if nothing else, you can tell by the way a musician of Beck's caliber praises her onstage).  I have one of her CDs.  Unfortunately, someone told her she could sing and IMO her music has gone way downhill from when she just played bass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok..so that’s all you guys had to say. I didn’t know he was a band member in Led Zeppelin. Wait, I thought Jimmy Page was the guitarist in the band Led Zeppelin?
It was Beck? ..OK thread can close now. I know who  Beck was now. Loved his guitar in stairway to heaven.
View Quote

Do what?
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Blow by Blow is one of the best albums of all time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did he play with Bob Seger? Boston? Van Halen? The Eagles? Reo? The Doobie brothers? Blackfoot? Rolling Stones? .. The list just goes on and on of great rock groups he Never played with and I guess that’s  why I’ve never heard of him..

I’ve been listening to music since 8 tracks and even AM radios…don’t know who he was..
View Quote

He actually auditioned for the Stones but declined the gig. Incompatible styles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious how many of these guitarists the OP has heard of:

Robin Trower
Mark Knopfler
Steve Howe
Steve Vai
Larry Carlton
Ronnie Montrose
Tony Iommi
Ritchie Blackmore
Joe Satriani
Billy Gibbons
Dicky Betts

If he can honestly say he's heard of most of them, I'll chalk this up to some weird fluke.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This video has a woman pressing a bass guitar up against her boob. Maybe that will hold your interest . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMryWoRRqUc
View Quote

Tal Wilkenfeld

The girl can play.

If I remember right, she started touring with Beck when she was 17.

And with regards to OP, Blow by Blow was one of those albums that everyone you knew had like Zeppelin IV.

FWIW, I'm 65.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Beck was an awesome musician, one of the very very few electric guitarists who was so good, he could hold an entire concert just standing there playing instrumentals. He was one of the few whose music quality was NOT measured in "number of notes per second," a la Hendrix, Van Halen, Clapton, SRV, etc.  

For examples of its sheer beauty, listen to "Cause We've Ended As Lovers."  For an electrifying experience that can make your heart stop beating, turn it up and listen to "Blue Wind."  

Beck was a "nice guy" and a gentleman, with none of the extremism and vulgarity that permeates modern rock music.

So long, Jeff. Dammit man, you were the best.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great guitar player but isn't as well know as Clapton, Hendrix and some others because he didn't play the main stream pop music of their day like they did.
View Quote

In a nutshell, this
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is Jeff Beck, Billy Gibbons, and Tal Wilkenfeld doing their version of Sixteen Tons..

Jeff Beck and ZZ Top - Ernie Ford's SIXTEEN TONS
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Being an edgelord should be against coc
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Waiting for OP to tell me Edge was the greatest guitarist of all time
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’ve never had anything from Hendrix that came close to the technical abilities of Jeff Beck
View Quote

Holy shit there a bunch of ear fukked idiots on gd.
I saw Jeff and ZZ Top at st Augustine a few years ago.
He is truly top ten of all guitarists that ever lived .
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Loser" was his greatest hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
British rock guitarist who founded the group "Beck".
Some say he's next to Clapton and Hendrix as far as skill

"Loser" was his greatest hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

What's Up Dude!!

Que Onda Guero- Beck with Lyrics

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Apparently, you cared enough to start a thread about it. So edgy...
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tal Wilkenfeld.  Fantastic bass player (if nothing else, you can tell by the way a musician of Beck's caliber praises her onstage).  I have one of her CDs.  Unfortunately, someone told her she could sing and IMO her music has gone way downhill from when she just played bass.
View Quote

Yeah, I know who she is. I just figured the OP would be more impressed by the boob than her name. Trying to meet people where they're at, you know . . .
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm 54 and while I never got into Jeff Beck, to not know of his contributions to rock and roll is unbelievable.

Ever hear of The Yardbirds, OP? They evolved into a little band called Led Zeppelin.
View Quote

A Yardbirds spin-off group?  Yeah, that will fly like a lead zeppelin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw him with SRV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I first saw this and was like, he died decades ago. Drowned in the Mississippi.

So apparently I don’t know Jeff Beck from Jeff Buckley. Don’t feel too bad OP.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’ve never had anything from Hendrix that came close to the technical abilities of Jeff Beck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no one was 'better' than hendrix. he was a prodigy. clapton was great but never as great as he was with cream. i will note that stevie ray vaughn's version of voodoo as great. but hendrix was the master.

I’m not an expert by any means but I agree. We may not have the sound we have today without hendrix but  , playing wise I don’t think he was elite
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
He had a unique sound. If you heard him you would struggle to think of anything that sounds the same.

Kind of like dick dale.  

I’m genx but jeez music is timeless.

It takes a few times for your ears to adjust but a generation doesn’t own its music.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Has this been mentioned ? that his strat/whammy sound really set him apart after his early Les Paul years

That combo gave him that signature ethereal/celestial sound on top of his cool repertoire and chops

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
everyone has likes and dislikes, Jeff Becks music never appealed to me same as Satriani or Vai. Even though the Yardbirds ended up being a supergroup their songs are hit and miss
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's see if I can help the OP with some pop songs featuring Jeff Beck before he moved in his own direction.  Now if the OP isn't familiar with the music of the British invasion, then there's no hope...

The Yardbirds- Evil Hearted You

The Yardbirds - Heart Full of Soul mix (Jimmy Page & Jeff Beck)

The Yardbirds • “Train Kept-A Rollin'/Shapes Of Things” • 1966 [Reelin' In The Years Archive]

NEW * Over Under Sideways Down - The Yardbirds {Stereo} 1966

The Yardbirds - I'm A Man Live - Shindig 1965
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
It amazes me that some people are proud of how dumb they are.

Does OP wear a scarlet I so everyone knows he's an Idiot?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Holy shit there a bunch of ear fukked idiots on gd.
I saw Jeff and ZZ Top at st Augustine a few years ago.
He is truly top ten of all guitarists that ever lived .
View Quote

Wife and I were also at that concert.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:31:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who is Jeff Beck? And why do I care?
If he is so great why don’t I know who he is? ..or care that he has died a dozen times already on ARFCom.

Edit to add.:  I’m 60 years old. Grew up in America.  Smoked lotsa weed. And still don’t know who he was.  And it’s to late now. He’s gone.
He will be missed by many. ( Just not me)
View Quote

That's a pretty shitty attitude, OP. After all, Jeff stood by you when you collapsed and they had to pump a huge quantity of semen out of your stomach!!!

Oh.... wait. That was former band mate Rod Stewart.

Honest mistake.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#30]
In his memory, I dressed up like Johnny Depp today, I put on a T-shirt and vest, and bracelet and a necklace and eyeshadow and a neckerchief and a hat and earrings and more bracelets. And then I slung guitar town by my balls so I could look cool like Johnny does.

And then I found some handkerchiefs and tied them to my belt and wore some ripped up jeans so I can be cool like Johnny.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Correct, love his stuff, love his unique chord phrasings using his thumb to wrap over the neck. Hell I keep my Strat tuned to e flat because of Hendrix.

But he wasn't the most technical player by a long shot.

Jeff Beck on the other hand.. technical AF but so melodic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9bnaqqfq8
View Quote

Agreed holy shit, a master.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top