BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit was cool as fuck to watch. My unit was a ways away from whoever they were supporting but the things are so fucking big they seem closer. 

Would come screaming in wings folded, slow down, wings would pop out, loiter for a minute, drop fuck off huge JDAMs for a bit, then accelerate fold back up and scream back to where they came from. 

Everyone was all wait... what the fuck did a F-14 just bomb something?    That's when the FAC filled filled us in. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bombcat!  Lol.
Shit was cool as fuck to watch. My unit was a ways away from whoever they were supporting but the things are so fucking big they seem closer. 

Would come screaming in wings folded, slow down, wings would pop out, loiter for a minute, drop fuck off huge JDAMs for a bit, then accelerate fold back up and scream back to where they came from. 

Everyone was all wait... what the fuck did a F-14 just bomb something?    That's when the FAC filled filled us in. 

Boner!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not so cool when they first started dropping bombs in the early 90's.

We had a section with 500lbers miss their target by over 1500 meters.  

With a wp mark on the deck and a laser spot on the target too.

They broke the sound barrier in the pop going vertical to about 15-20k ft. Then nosed over coming almost straight down lol.

They did do one badass photo pass of the OP though

Titty Kitties.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They were good at it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bombcat!  Lol.

They were good at it...
Not the ones I had the displeasure to control.

In their defense they were just getting started with that role at the time (early 90's).

I did see them do some badass show of force flyovers in Iraq though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup.  According to the googles, the Super Tomcats would have gotten the same kind of upgrades the super Hornets did and as such would have drastically reduced the maintenance burden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best option of course would have to been to go with Super Tomcats instead of Super Hornets.  If you're going to trick congress by making new planes that look like old planes and calling them "upgraded', might as well use old planes that are way fucking cooler. 

Exactly. Plus they can fly longer without having to refuel and carry a heavier payload. What's not to like?

* Before the "super high maintenance dwebes" show up. Built new planes that require less maintenance because the are newer, and can carry more than their predator.
Yup.  According to the googles, the Super Tomcats would have gotten the same kind of upgrades the super Hornets did and as such would have drastically reduced the maintenance burden.

The upgrade that removed the swing wing and made it into a different aircraft?  If it got that upgrade, maybe it could just be called a Super Hornet, which is exactly what we did.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
False. You should probably read the article I posted as well.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-rover.jpg

The best part about it IS the airframe because it's fucking huge so they hung all sorts of shit off of it to expand existing capabilities.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-lantirn-01l.jpg

With the ability to just toss shit on F-14's could self FAC.  I imagine you don't recall the article where the AF had a hard time retrofitting B-1's to do the same? It was awhile before the sniper pod was worked up to replace the LANTIRN targeting pod, a thing that was modified to rock socks specifically or the F-14 based on it's built in ability to integrate things easier than other aircraft.

If you think it's "the munition not the air frame" then you don't know much about the air frame and why it's better at dropping said munitions than other air frames.
View Quote

Huh.  I guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was.  Apologies.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
False. You should probably read the article I posted as well.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-rover.jpg

The best part about it IS the airframe because it's fucking huge so they hung all sorts of shit off of it to expand existing capabilities.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-lantirn-01l.jpg

With the ability to just toss shit on F-14's could self FAC.  I imagine you don't recall the article where the AF had a hard time retrofitting B-1's to do the same? It was awhile before the sniper pod was worked up to replace the LANTIRN targeting pod, a thing that was modified to rock socks specifically or the F-14 based on it's built in ability to integrate things easier than other aircraft.

If you think it's "the munition not the air frame" then you don't know much about the air frame and why it's better at dropping said munitions than other air frames.

No worries. 

The stuff the F-14 could do back in the day, acquire data, send it to other planes, Self FAC/ airborne FAC, so on and so forth normally gets overshadowed by them just looking awesome, so a lot of the time people forget that while they were built for a specific purpose, they were actually designed to be more than a one trick pony and had ground attack capabilities built in from the beginning (just unused for a number of years, then developed, then refined by the time the GWOT rolled around). Plane just trick fucks people into thinking it's a fighter meant to kill bombers when it was really a multi-role bird the whole time. 

-eta the F-14 development split off from the F-111 program is a pretty interesting read. 
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The F-14 was an awesome plane, capable of several roles in the  theater.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In their defense they were just getting started with that role at the time (early 90's).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bombcat!  Lol.

They were good at it...

There were still A-6s in the early 90s.  There were two things that kicked the VF community into the air-to-ground mission:  1)  the A-6 sundown and those pilots / BNs largely moving to the F-14 (most of the A-7 folks move to Hornets) and 2) the end of the cold war and the subsequent decline in interest in "the outer air battle".

The infusion of VA expertise added a lot of momentum and ability to the transition to Bombcat.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top