User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quad rails for the win!
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
So, if you need to shoot offhand does that mean you need a 6 point sling??
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Because they’re pointlessly complicated and made for annoying douches with too much time on their hands.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, if you need to shoot offhand does that mean you need a 6 point sling??
View Quote

offhand = gun on dominant side shoulder while standing

So only 3 points needed
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
So, back in my day, they were all the rage, over the useless issued sling.  

But I ended up using one alot with a rifle, and while it was better, once I tried a 2 pt. quick-adjust, I was sold and never went back.

3pt gets in the way of controls on the port side of the gun, and has extra webbing to get tangled with things.

And on long walks...gun doesn't ride as balanced, or come up as easy, as with the 2 pt.

What most of us are using now is more evolved and efficient, at least in my personal experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It it because people are too stupid to use them correctly?
View Quote

No it's because they are a fuckin terrible design.  They do exactly _nothing_ better than a good two point with a quick adjust mechanism, and are actually a hindrance for some things.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've always hated 3 point and for sure hate single.  2 point is where it's at for me.  If you like 3 then thats fine.
View Quote

You saved me from typing it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]
People generally accept the idea that items like guns are a better design and more reliable with fewer parts and in particular  less moving parts are better then more.
But somehow this idea of less is more goes out the window when it comes to items you install on or use outside of a gun.

I am by no means an expert but I firmly believe you should keep your overall setup as simple and light as possible, inside the gun and out. What this means will vary from man to man obviously.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive never liked them. To complicated. A combat weapon should be stupid simple. 2pt sling ftw.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This. Fuck those things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's because they're stupid in actual use.

This. Fuck those things.

Yep. Fukem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Is that a 10pt sling with a TAPCO'd out rifle???
(y'all remember TAPCO?)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, back in my day, they were all the rage, over the useless issued sling.  

But I ended up using one alot with a rifle, and while it was better, once I tried a 2 pt. quick-adjust, I was sold and never went back.

3pt gets in the way of controls on the port side of the gun, and has extra webbing to get tangled with things.

And on long walks...gun doesn't ride as balanced, or come up as easy, as with the 2 pt.

What most of us are using now is more evolved and efficient, at least in my personal experience.
View Quote

Plain issued black sling was made into a fairly useful 2pt with 18” of 550 and some 100mph tape

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A 3 point was an improvement over the carry strap. Adjustable 2 point is an improvement over the 3 point and 1 point sling.
View Quote

My experience as well. Never took to the single point at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

have you seen some of the ar15's that people carry around, good lord some people on here have turned a nice 6lb rifle into a 15lb monstrosity
View Quote

Crew served.  You need an ammo bearer too.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The old HK 3 point was fine for the roller locked guns because it was out of the way of the cocking handle.

A 3 point on an AR gets in the way of the handguard and blocks the bolt catch and that sucks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some of us can afford night vision
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you seen some of the ar15's that people carry around, good lord some people on here have turned a nice 6lb rifle into a 15lb monstrosity

Some of us can afford night vision

And my heaviest gun, with all accoutrements to include a clip on is much closer to about 11lbs.  

I’m sure you could spec out a 15lb AR, but there’d be a lot of unnecessary weight there.

Large frame is a different beast but it’s nowhere near 6lbs without it either, so a bit of a moot point.

As for 3 points?  They maybe made sense before modern QD ended quick adjust 2 points with sockets in a number of different locations on the gun.  Modern day?  Not sure why you’d mess with one.

For all the “are you too stupid to use it” talk in the OP, he has failed to point out what a 3 point does better.  Shocking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#20]
They suck.  Especially if you shoot lefty or transition and that third strap is now an obstacle to clean ejection because it’s right in front of the port deflecting brass back into it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Crew served.  You need an ammo bearer too.  
View Quote

My dog has an LBV for this.  If he's gonna get kibble in SHTF he's gonna hump at least two mags of .308
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
V-Tac all the things
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Great discussion as usual - "they suck" contains so many details
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
This is GD, given enough time, we come to hate everything. Then we change our minds and hate something else.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Clunky and tougher to get over your gear. It was fine walking around slick, but throwing on the vest, LBV, and other goodies made it suck. Harder to remove quickly unlike a 2 point sling. I am glad when the better two point slings like BFG came out and ditched the 3 point sling 20 years ago.

The same with single point slings. They suck for anything except rifle calibers pistols without a brace. If you like your nuts you have to keep your hand on the pistol grip. I still have single point slings on my pistols so I can use it to help stabilize them now that braces are, in essence, verboten.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Convertible one to two point sling master race.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is GD, given enough time, we come to hate everything. Then we change our minds and hate something else.
View Quote

See I hate when people say things like that. But it's starting to grow on me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It it because people are too stupid to use them correctly?
View Quote

Know how I know you never used one in a profession of Arms???
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Kyle Rittenhouse video showing the single points advantages.
View Quote

Young Rittenhouse succeeded in spite of his gear, not because of it.

Determination and mindset matter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Have several and they work fine but I prefer 2 pt/single pt slings
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Can't do proper D&C with a 2-point sling.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my Ching Slings. I have one on a 22 semiauto and the other on a 30 bolt gun. Great in the field for carry and offhand shooting in a compressed time window.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top