Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's very manageable especially with a low center of gravity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Short riding season.

Lots of gravel roads.

Drunk driving is still considered heritage and almost a sport by assholes in trucks all over the region.

As much as I would like to get into it, I will have to pass.  Still like dirt bikes though.

I will have to admit, I wouldn't know.  Have never rode a street bike on a gravel road. I just imagine some of the shitty loose wash boarded out ones you would have to mind your yourself.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Only country in the world where the poorest citizens are the fattest citizens
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've been looking for 20 year old beaters specifically...  Especially in land yacht form.  Not as common as you'd think.
View Quote

I was beater shopping a few months ago for my kids first car, there were PLENTY. Maybe it's a location thing or maybe you're not looking in the right spots. Check FB marketplace.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It costs several hundred dollars in motorcycle class fees just to get a license to drive a motorcycle here.
View Quote

About 50% of the riders I know have a motorcycle license.

The MSF class I took had quite a few guys who had rode a long time without the license finally getting one as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I will have to admit, I wouldn't know.  Have never rode a street bike on a gravel road. I just imagine some of the shitty loose wash boarded out ones you would have to mind your yourself.
View Quote

You just have to let the fucker do what it wants.   I don't know how else to describe it.  

On gravel I tend to let my knees hang out to the sides as opposed to tight on the tank and control things very loosely and gently.

That could be a total placebo but I swear the more I fight it the harder it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The MSF class I took had quite a few guys who had rode a long time without the license finally getting one as well.
View Quote

Bikes don't get pulled over around here.   Either not on the radar or not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#7]
too many damn cops, who have no respect for trying to get the family up the mountain for churchUS insurance companies suck ass & klls  motor bikes & powerful cars  too

I have lived in 4 Asian nations no one uses Mopeds like Filipinos
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
too many damn cops, who have no respect for trying to get the family up the mountain for churchUS insurance companies suck ass & klls  motor bikes & powerful cars  too

https://www.sandspice.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/habal-habal.jpg

I have lived in 4 Asian nations no one uses Mopeds like Filipinos
View Quote

Say what you want..   As someone who has hauled a single fat girl on the back I respect that.

Power to weight ratio may have been similar though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Because most Americans don't drive...they just go places in their car.

ETA: can't spell
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because most Americans don't drive...they just go places in there car.
View Quote

I've always described most of my exes as aiming the vehicle, not driving it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Because Liquor-cycles are like shit on hills so they work best in flat places like Kansas. The only place in the world where they can be 150cc rather than 50cc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because Liquor-cycles are like shit on hills so they work best in flat places like Kansas. The only place in the world where they can be 150cc rather than 50cc.
View Quote

Mine is 750 and dirt cheap.

You actually need the hills for body mass to store energy.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
cause US poors are rich compared to the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Say what you want..   As someone who has hauled a single fat girl on the back I respect that.

Power to weight ratio may have been similar though.
View Quote

Yep. I hate riding with a passenger, I can't imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#15]
SPNI
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
vegas they do. under 49cc no license no reg no insurance required. They are alot that are "50"cc that "cannot" do over 35 doing 40-50.

No issue with the no livense or reg fuck it, but no insurance means if they hit me riding like an idiot im out....

That said winter i ride alot, really sucks to be on the bike when its 110 out. Hell when i leave the house at 0430 its still around 90....
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I actually know a bunch of people that use scooters or bikes downtown in the city I'm next too. Around me though if you are not doing 50 plus on the main roads you will get run over so the 49cc scooters and even some of the smallers "motorcycle" class scooters just don't get up to speed or do it fast enough. We actually have a good sized scooter club for in the city though.

Its worth saying that in many areas of the world a motorcycle license is easier or cheaper to get while here its the other way around. We have many areas where you can't really ride all year round too. I ride full sized bikes but will use my jeep or truck for moving anything or hitting the store.

Quoted:

View Quote

In my state it used to be a really chicken shit ticket if you got caught but had a valid normal license without the endorsement on it. I want to say it was like a $75 dollar ticket. They changed it some years ago so its now like driving without a license so a lot of people I know ended up finally getting the endorsement.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
....although I find this incomprehensible, a lot of people just don't like the open air experience.
View Quote

Or getting ground to hamburger under Suzy Homemaker and her Chevy Suburban while she chats on the phone. I am, compared top most here, a "poor", but I never considered a moped or anything else like it - too underpowered and slow for all the driving I do.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because Harleys ain't cheap.
View Quote

Uh..yeah, they are.  They're cheap as fuck right now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Uh..yeah, they are.  They're cheap as fuck right now.
View Quote

My next door neighbor traded his Harley straight across for an older RV. of course, the landlord is going to kick him out as soon as the feds will let him, so that's just proactive thinking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:46:37 AM EDT
[#21]
They should
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because a lot of poors are fat and 49cc cannot handle them...
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because US poors are generally fucking rich compared to the rest of the world.
View Quote

and this
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Tires wear out fast and are rather expensive for normal size bikes. That kills a lot of the savings right there. I thought about getting a bike to save money many years ago. I did precise calculations of cost per mile factoring in maintenance, insurance and fuel savings. The best I could hope to do was almost break even. I bet if OP carefully calculated his TCO, he would find he isn't saving money.

That's ok, I've still had lots of bikes. I don't mind paying extra for all the fun. Heck, the bike I have now only gets 25-26 mpg.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#27]

I wonder if the helmet actually closes.  

That dude perfectly matches the aerodynamics of the bike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#29]
A motorcycle as your one and only vehicle? Because it's super dangerous to ride a motorcycle in a thunderstorm, a regular rain storm, heavy winds, icy roads and many other bad weather conditions. Also, you'd have to make multiple trips back and forth to the grocery store with the small amount of groceries that can pack into those small saddle bags (which, if you were poor, you couldn't afford to buy). Also, insurance is more expensive than a car. You can;t have any more than one passenger, which is no good if you have more than 2 members in your family. You need more reasons, OP? Heck, I'm not poor and I have a motorcycle license, but, haven't ridden or owned a motorcycle in over 40 years. I wouldn't mind getting a motorcycle as a secondary, fun vehicle, but, don't have the money to afford a good one like a BMW and can't afford the extra insurance.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Short riding season.

Lots of gravel roads.

Drunk driving is still considered heritage and almost a sport by assholes in trucks all over the region.

As much as I would like to get into it, I will have to pass.  Still like dirt bikes though.

I don't know your experience driving on gravel, but, mine was that it was like driving on slippery as oil, polished pebbles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
I came to say this, compared to the rest of the world, we don't have poors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#33]
1. It gets really fucking cold and icy in much of the US (notice Russia has much less motorcycles than subtropical/tropical Asian nations).

2. We are a vast nation, often with wide open stretches between cities. Many people live in those wide open places often times 30-60 minutes away from groceries or services.  They will buy a week or two of groceries at one time.

3.  Even poor people can afford cars in the US.  I could buy a car in the next hour for $1000 if I needed to.  It will be a shitbox, but it will get me from point A to point B.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#34]
No one in the US is poor with 84 month financing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't know your experience driving on gravel, but, mine was that it was like driving on slippery as oil, polished pebbles.
View Quote

It's going to wiggle around, you just have to relax and let it.

I have about 2.5 miles to hit pavement so I get tons of practice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Be likin Cadillac Escalades, Lincolns, Chrysler 300s, leased Mercedes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Driving on gravel is easy.

Stand on the pegs, grip the bike with your knees, keep the front light with a neutral stance on the bike.

I became pretty proficient riding my Harley standing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've been looking for 20 year old beaters specifically...  Especially in land yacht form.  Not as common as you'd think.
View Quote

Have to look post cash for clunkers, 15-16 year old max. Obama killed the land yachts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Because we have the richest poor people on the planet and a beater four door sedan has more utility than a death trap scooter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Throttle up.

The bike doesn't actually know its on gravel, or if its raining.

If you get too scared, just close your eyes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Can’t put 22” rims or 6 12” woofers on a 49cc scoot
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
The U.S has a car culture. Car= freedom.
The leftists are trying very hard (and winning) to destroy it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
cause US poors are rich compared to the rest of the world.
View Quote

Fuck the rest of the world. You come down here and drive a motorcycle in Miami and see how long you last. Fuckers don’t even stop after they hit you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Winter
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#46]
“Poor” in the U.S. is nothing like poor in the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#47]
The US is a large country compared to most. It is not unusual to have to travel 15-30 miles one way for work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because Harleys ain't cheap.
View Quote

They really should be.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top