Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Woo-Hoo!  Top o’ Four, MoFos!

OP is discussing the cooking technique of braising, which is low wet heat to slowly break-down connective tissue to make melt-in-mouth tender gelatin of the connective tissue.  Smoking does the same, but with dry, low heat.  The smoke imparts flavor.  Braises add “liquid smoke” make from hickory flavoring, typically to get “smokiness,” but in most restaurants or grandma’s kitchen, braising is its own savory flavor.  If your grandma made melt-in-your mouth brisket with brown mushroom gravy, it was braised.

A couple hours if braising will result in tender ribs, they just aren’t smoked.  You can put them on heat to crisp them up, but they are still braised ribs.

This place still confuses me.....if you make it, eat it & enjoy it—who da fuq cares?!?  If you think taste is anywhere than in olfaction & taste-buds, you’re incorrect.

Savory, smoky flavors & tender meats are revered the world over by gourmands.  Eat what you like, not what other people think you should like.

Or, as I frequently say here: real men don’t ask, they do & enjoy.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Disagree.... i run 250-275. For home and competition ribs

3 hrs smoke 45-60 mins wrap on st louis ribs

Pull from cooker vent/rest 10.... cut light sauce and they are ready
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boil them in a pot of water.
View Quote

At this point, just use the microwave for convenience
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
you need a good electric smoker, I have a cook shack, peel and season ribs, put em in the smoker
200 degrees 5 hrs, no fuss, no loading more wood or working to get the right temp
pull them out and eat em, consistently great every time
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Too many people make smoking ribs a pain in the ass.

Screw seasoning the night before.  I leave season on as long as it takes grill to hit 250-275

3,2,1 or 2,2,1 is a complete pain in the ass with little to no benefit IMO.

Stopping and foiling then stopping and unfoiling disrupts beer flow. Disrupting beer flow is sacrilegious.

If you don’t have a meat thermometer then look for meat to shrink back 1/4” on bone. They are almost guaranteed to be done.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like Filipinas.

No room on the patio for dedicated smoker.  Got a great 22in Weber Kettle.

Tell me how to get a result that isn't dry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smoke has to be first.

Braised ribs are for Filipinos.

I like Filipinas.

@Geohan

The snake or fuse method.
Place an aluminum pie pan with water in the center.
Spray with apple juice or apple cider vinegar periodically.
Maintain 225* temp.
Always cook to internal temp not time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Woo-Hoo!  Top o’ Four, MoFos!

OP is discussing the cooking technique of braising, which is low wet heat to slowly break-down connective tissue to make melt-in-mouth tender gelatin of the connective tissue.  Smoking does the same, but with dry, low heat.  The smoke imparts flavor.  Braises add “liquid smoke” make from hickory flavoring, typically to get “smokiness,” but in most restaurants or grandma’s kitchen, braising is its own savory flavor.  If your grandma made melt-in-your mouth brisket with brown mushroom gravy, it was braised.

A couple hours if braising will result in tender ribs, they just aren’t smoked.  You can put them on heat to crisp them up, but they are still braised ribs.

This place still confuses me.....if you make it, eat it & enjoy it—who da fuq cares?!?  If you think taste is anywhere than in olfaction & taste-buds, you’re incorrect.

Savory, smoky flavors & tender meats are revered the world over by gourmands.  Eat what you like, not what other people think you should like.

Or, as I frequently say here: real men don’t ask, they do & enjoy.

View Quote

Real men ask AND do and enjoy and learn. Can’t overstate the value of things I’ve learned about here despite the nattering nabobs.

Your post is worthy, 32acp, screen name notwithstanding.

I’ll keep trying the smoke; my last effort was sad because it took a lot of time and sweat in the humidity here for a mediocre result.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Boiled ribs?  Maybe if I lived in an apartment with no access to a smoker..

Nope
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@Geohan

Maintain 225* temp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smoke has to be first.

I like Filipinas.

@Geohan

Maintain 225* temp.

I’ll try it

What temp? I’ve got a Smoke therm
Baby backs are so thin I figured the internal temp varies from rib to riv
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
There's nothing wrong with braised ribs but I prefer bbq.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
If you try this recipe, may God have mercy on your soul.  
BBQ ribs in microwave in 35 minutes

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#13]
3-2-1 and done
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These were a bit dry, but had good flavor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19799/burnt-ribs_jpg-1497180.JPG
View Quote

Ah, Memphis style.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Tl;dr I just bought two baby back racks from Aldi.  How long in the microwave?

Seriously though, I've always done 321, but it's hit or miss.  Going to try rub only and 5 hours @ 250 this afternoon after perusing this thread.  Will post results.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These were a bit dry, but had good flavor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19799/burnt-ribs_jpg-1497180.JPG
View Quote

That’s what happens when you open your vents too much and don’t pay attention while setting your sauce. Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you need a good electric smoker, I have a cook shack, peel and season ribs, put em in the smoker
200 degrees 5 hrs, no fuss, no loading more wood or working to get the right temp
pull them out and eat em, consistently great every time
View Quote

My first reaction was "Ewwwww, electric smoker"

But if OP has a small patio and doesn't have room for a bigger smoker, he can possibly fit one of those mini-fridge sized electric smokers.

Before I knew better, I had one. It worked okay for things like ribs, but you were never going to be able to do a brisket right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I like Filipinas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smoke has to be first.

I like Filipinas.

With a Weber  it’s possible, just takes some discipline and control.

Use the vents effectively,, try the “snake” method for charcoal, don’t open your pit to check on them every 5 mins. If you can control your heat level for the duration of the smoke and keep the heat as indirect as possible, you can keep your ribs from being dry.  The key is temp control. You don’t want it to be 400, then 200, then 400, etc.  That’s more of a challenge with a thin walled pit like a Weber, but it can be done.  The good news is that when you get good at it (it takes practice),  you’ll be in easy mode forever if you get a real bbq pit.

Get your Filipina to make some lumpia and bring beer while you do man’s work on the pit.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man you guys would cringe if you saw me cook ribs... 36 hours in a sous vide with a dry rub at 145 and then seared.  This gives me legit fall off the bone ribs while staying very moist.

I'm sorry.

-Mike
View Quote
Apology not accepted, sir.

Although I do love the sous vide for everything else, so if you were worried, you just got 50% of my respect back for owning and using the sous vide
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
This method is a good starting point for doing ribs.  I pretty much do this except for spritzing (cost of re-stabilizing temperature every hour outweighs any benefit of spritzing), increasing temp at 3 hours, and saucing (I do dry with sauce on the side if anybody prefers sauce).

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Real men ask AND do and enjoy and learn. Can't overstate the value of things I've learned about here despite the nattering nabobs.

I'll keep trying the smoke; my last effort was sad because it took a lot of time and sweat in the humidity here for a mediocre result.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woo-Hoo!  Top o' Four, MoFos!

OP is discussing the cooking technique of braising, which is low wet heat to slowly break-down connective tissue to make melt-in-mouth tender gelatin of the connective tissue.  Smoking does the same, but with dry, low heat.  The smoke imparts flavor.  Braises add "liquid smoke" make from hickory flavoring, typically to get "smokiness," but in most restaurants or grandma's kitchen, braising is its own savory flavor.  If your grandma made melt-in-your mouth brisket with brown mushroom gravy, it was braised.

A couple hours if braising will result in tender ribs, they just aren't smoked.  You can put them on heat to crisp them up, but they are still braised ribs.

This place still confuses me.....if you make it, eat it & enjoy itwho da fuq cares?!?  If you think taste is anywhere than in olfaction & taste-buds, you're incorrect.

Or, as I frequently say here: real men don't ask, they do & enjoy.

Real men ask AND do and enjoy and learn. Can't overstate the value of things I've learned about here despite the nattering nabobs.

I'll keep trying the smoke; my last effort was sad because it took a lot of time and sweat in the humidity here for a mediocre result.
Yeah, there are different ways to do them and still turn out a good product.

In my komodo I smoke 5.5 hours at 225, with some sauce at the 5 hr mark then let the temp come up to 275 or so to get the sauce tacky. I don't wrap, spritz or mop anymore.

A buddy did several racks for a get together last weekend, I think he ran the smoker at something like 300 and they were done in a few hours, top notch ribs.

Everyone has their own rub and method, but I just don't care as long as they taste good. And occasionally I learn a new trick.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Boiled meat?   No thanks. That includes soups vide.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#24]

God bless you. That’s glorious.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Done on Saturday.  2 1/2 hours in the smoker at 250, some sauce mopped on top and another 1/2 hour to carmalize a little.  Tender, moist , smoked and delicious.

" />
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Boiled meat?   No thanks. That includes soups vide.
View Quote
I'm not saying you should sous vide ribs, but if you'd ever used one you wouldn't be able to deny its majesty.

And it's not boiling You cook the entire piece of meat to a perfect, even temperature from the outside through the middle. A medium-rare ribeye done at say 130 degrees that is actually medium-rare all the way thru with a quick 60-sec sear in cast iron to caramelize... is tits.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#27]
For me, 3-2-1 at 225 works for full racks of regular ribs.  Not baby backs or St. Louis cut.  Full racks.  

For me, baby backs require far less time.   But, they can be less forgiving.  If over cooked, they can get dry because they have less fat per lb of meat than regular ribs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
3/2/1 or choke yourself
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are some recipes, predominantly Asian I believe, that braise ribs in a flavorful broth.  The ribs are served in the broth with various vegetables and noodles and such, making for a very tasty soup or stew.

But by braising then smoking/saucing your ribs briefly on the grill, well, the braising process has taken a lot of the pork flavor out of the ribs which in the case of a soup or stew is mitigated because you're having the ribs with the broth they were braised in.  

And then you further fucked them up by slathering them in some shitty barbecue sauce then briefly hitting them with smoke.  You didn't even caramelize the sauce.  You're basically eating warmed over, slightly smokey barbecue sauce.  Just order take out next time for god's sake and don't fuck a slab of ribs up.
View Quote

God you guys are fucking brutal sometimes!

OP's recipe is how I remember my mom making ribs when I was a kid.  It's different than proper smoked ribs, sure.  I still make it 'mom's way once in a while as I do enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My first reaction was "Ewwwww, electric smoker"

But if OP has a small patio and doesn't have room for a bigger smoker, he can possibly fit one of those mini-fridge sized electric smokers.

Before I knew better, I had one. It worked okay for things like ribs, but you were never going to be able to do a brisket right.
View Quote

Same.  Ribs were good but brisket tasted like roast beef.  Could never get any smoke ring either.  The Traeger on the other hand is retard proof when it comes to cooking.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What temp on the sous vide and how long in the ice water bath?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you don't get that smoke flavor. I'm not against Sous Vide as a matter of fact I sous vide brisket for 40 hours cool in ice water bath then smoke to 160 degrees.  Just seems like a lot of trouble for ribs
What temp on the sous vide and how long in the ice water bath?

145 degrees in the sous vide and in the ice water bath long enough to get the brisket "cold" about 40-50 degrees. This allows the smoke to adhere better. Also I only lightly salt and a little garlic and onion powder in the sous vide. Then do my real rub for the smoke.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone.
View Quote

They are if I have anything to say about it. Sue Veed isn't the answer, but this business about "competition" ribs sticking to the bone is crap. I ain't gonna gnaw it off the bone ... I want to twist the bone right out of it when I'm ready and toss away a clean bone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I toss 'em on the grill offset from the direct heat to smoke and color up for about 45 min to an hour. By that time they've absorbed all the smoke they're going to absorb. Wrap them in foil and put them in the oven for about 3-1/2 to 4 hours at 225, and they're ready to roll.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They are if I have anything to say about it. Sue Veed isn't the answer, but this business about "competition" ribs sticking to the bone is crap. I ain't gonna gnaw it off the bone ... I want to twist the bone right out of it when I'm ready and toss away a clean bone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get with the other guy who can't come to terms with the fact he prefers overcooked ribs
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Seared/browned on a cast iron dutch oven bottom
Rub added
Beer and chicken stock to cover the bottom of the pan.
Covered; oven for 2 hours at 275
Rest
Take out to the Weber; indirect smokey heat for a few minutes with sauce

Done.

Never saw this method anywhere; just curious.  Not sure this is original, just wondering if anyone does it this way!
View Quote

Only helpful thing I can add is that McDonalds usually bring their McRib back around October, which has gotta be more appetizing than your method.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like some yankee bullshit to me
View Quote
Says the guy from Ohio.

Dont you have a river to put out or something?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Then get with the other guy who can't come to terms with the fact he prefers overcooked ribs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, give it a rest.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude, give it a rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, give it a rest.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]

@OPAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These are ribs done right!’
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Just for shits and giggles I did some baby backs in the Instapot.

Used apple juice for the liquid and put some liquid smoke along with the rub.  After they were tenderized I put them under the oven boiler to get the sear.

They were fine.  Like what you would get at Chilis or Applebees.  Not as good as what I do on the Big Green Egg or get at any good BBQ restaurant but certainly a quicker way to cook them if in a hurry or fixing a week night supper after work.  From start to finish was a little over an hour.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Proper pork ribs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OK let me put it this way:

I've had TWO very frustrating smokes. Kept the kettle under 275 for 5+ hours; basically the 3-2-1 method with a wrap for the 2 hours.

Came out dry despite mopping.

Great smoke ring, great smoke flavor, but really not that gratifying.

Give me some help and I'll try that again.  For now my "wet" ribs are less smokey but way tenderer.

View Quote

The part in red is your problem.  Low and slow.  I don't ever use above 225.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I smoked some baby backs from Aldi yesterday.  I followed the video posted earlier in this thread.  I used regular mustard and a well rated rub recipe I found.  Smoked at 250 on the top rack with mesquite and also added a smoke tube for extra smoke.  Checked at 5 hours by lifting from the middle.  Not done.  Left them for another half hour, pulled them off and foiled them for 10 mins before cutting them up.

They came out perfect.  Juicy, nice bark, and came off the bone easily.  I will never use 321 or 221 again for baby backs.  Also, Aldi ribs are way better than the ones I was getting from any local supermarket chain.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#46]
First, I'm a Yankee.

If you're still reading, my wife is from KC, so we do have some standards in this house.  

We use the KC Rub from "Smoke & Spice", pull the membrane, rub and wrap in plastic wrap overnight. Now we have a bandera, but for years I used a cheapo Char-Griller offset.  I played around with the various methods but settled on just smoking at +/- 225 until the meat pulls back from the bone.  No wrapping, no apple juice mist.  We used to do the apple juice, but one time we ran out and I couldn't tell the difference.  Ribs are usually quick enough that I finish them in the smoker, but on occasion I'll pull them after a 2 hour smoke and then put them in the oven at 225, uncovered, directly on the rack like it's still in the smoker, with a water filled drip tray underneath.  That lets me run errands for a couple hours without minding the fire, but smoking first is required.  In the old days before I had a smoker I've cooked them in an apartment oven, just uncovered directly on the rack, and the bark does eventually form, but there's no smoke flavor. Even I, raised in the uncouth North, have enough self-respect to avoid liquid smoke.

I also finish my pork shoulders in the oven when I'm done babysitting the smoker after 12+ hours. At that point the pork doesn't care if it's wrapped in tinfoil in the smoker, wrapped in tinfoil & towels in a cooler, or sitting in an oven set at 190.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I just peel the membrane off the underside of the ribs, cut them into four rib sections, add my rub and marinate them overnight in apple cider vinegar and rub. Then throw em on the smoker until they are done.  Served with my sauce on the side.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top