Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 129
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plinking ammo can be had for around 25cpr, the difference between steel cased 6.5 and 5.56 is negligible. Hunting/match ammo is around $1/rd.  Right in the same ballpark as .308.

The real cost is building an AR in something other than 5.56.  However the grendel forum's group buys are driving the cost down there too.
View Quote

Funny, I recently got a Fluted SS barrel, Hard Use Bolt, Muzzle Device, and 5 quality magazines for $384, and it wasn't a group buy doesn't
seem out of line at all except for the magazine price (5/$85)
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good to see people are emotionally-attached...

Yes the OP was why isn't it more common, and lists major AR manufacturers

.... So pointing out disadvantages to the 5.56 seems pretty reasonable.... as that's its main competitor

Point was missed about the 7.62 apparently...

... that people who want something more powerful tend to go with a much cheaper 7.62x51 rifle in the first place
View Quote

@ a 7.62x51 AR being "cheaper" than a 6.5Gr.
@ 7.62x51 ammo being "cheaper".
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can 'not trust steel' all you want. Steel works great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea that's true for steel but I was looking at brass 45 cents vs 86 cents

(I don't trust steel in an AR )

And that's also not taking into consideration the price per f/lb of energy. Where the 308 is much stronger
You can 'not trust steel' all you want. Steel works great.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I  think your info is dated. There are much better bullets now for 30cal and they are starting to use them in factory ammo.

My mag length 20" bbl .308 load still performs better than my single feed length  24" bbl 6.5 Grendel load.
View Quote

I'd like to see the data tonwhich youre referring
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I mean, it kind of can be.

When you're looking at both the premium ammo from Hornady and Federal, and the Wolf steel case, 6.5G is cheaper or equal to 7.62x51.
But if you just want brass ammo that is reloadable, ZQI 147 gr FMJ exists for .308 at about 50 cpr, but the cheapest reloadable brass for Grendel is PPU usually around 80-85 cpr.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I  think your info is dated. There are much better bullets now for 30cal and they are starting to use them in factory ammo.

My mag length 20" bbl .308 load still performs better than my single feed length  24" bbl 6.5 Grendel load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your information is very dated and biased. .30 cal bullets are absolutely terrible, they're simply too fat to be aerodynamic.

Go to a ballistic calculator and run .308 vs .243 win vs 6.5 creedmor vs 6.5 Grendel and see what kind of numbers you're looking at. In similar length cartridges .308 gets absolutely smoked by 6mm 6.5mm 6.8mm 7mm. In shorter cartridges vs .308 you get extremely comparable numbers.

The only thing .308 has going for it and HAD at the time too btw, Military studies BEFORE WWII recommend a smaller diameter (.276 Penderson to be exact), is that it's not 30-06 and we have alot of .30 cal components available.

Don't kid yourself that .308 is in anyway a good cartridge, just about the only thing it's got going for it is it's ubiquity.

I suppose this is the part where you argue that the existence of 80gr .223 bullets now makes 5.56 a ballistic marvel?

ETA
That was a bit dickish on my part so I'll explain what I'm getting at a little better.

Are there some really good .308 bullets that you can get some great performance from especially if you handload? Absolutely

But they aren't cheap and they're outliers to the typical short fat .308 bullet.

I know you're extremely knowledgeable about reloading and ballistics so don't pretend you aren't well aware of the stark BC differences top to bottom between 6 - 6.5mm and .30 bullets.

Furthermore, I said shorter cartridges vs .308 would be "comparable" not "smoke it" which is a statement I'm willing to stand behind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When you're looking at both the premium ammo from Hornady and Federal, and the Wolf steel case, 6.5G is cheaper or equal to 7.62x51.
But if you just want brass ammo that is reloadable, ZQI 147 gr FMJ exists for .308 at about 50 cpr, but the cheapest reloadable brass for Grendel is PPU usually around 80-85 cpr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PPU grendel is dead in the US I believe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that decent brass ammo is cheaper in 7.62x51 but I don't think ZQI is decent.  PMC Bronze is .60 cpr and xm80 can be .55cpr.  And yes a decent brass 6.5G at .50 cpr or better would be great.  Having said that the wolf steel and Hornady SST have been great for me and cheaper brass cased would just be icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like the idea of being able to shoot relatively quiet subsonics, or relatively effective supers with only a mag change. I also find it amusing that the ballistics are almost a dead match for the 7.92kurtz that the original STG was chambered for. It tickles my "everything old is new again" funnybone.

What I don't find amusing is the near total lack of sub $1 per round ammo, and the very small variety and high price of even just bullets for reloading. I'm trying to figure out how stupid it might be to hard cast some heavy lead bullets for it. I've never contemplated shooting lead out of an AR, and I have no idea whether it's even feasible.

Fortunately, I have a few options and some of those chamber very cheap ammo for plinking. Maybe by the time the HPA finally passes the variety will be greater. Meanwhile, I've got the 6.5.
View Quote

@TheOTHERmaninblack

Heavy coated 30 subsonic

Check the reloading section for the 300 BLK thread, lots of guys making their own cast subs or loading commercial vendor bullets that are cast.  The link is not the only vendor doing subs, Kingshooters, Missouri Bullet Company, Palmetto Projectiles just to name a few.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really think it is because it hasn't been fully standardized yet. One company starts using terms like type I and type II bolts, others will call it 6.5 grendel and then use the modern 7.62x39 bolt variants, still others use the older colt 7.62x39 bolt style from the early 90's. This has made going towards 6.5 kind of intimidating to some people and left everything more confusing than it needs to be.
View Quote

What is different about the bolts?  Do you have link to dimensioned drawings?  I am running a Colt bolt in a Colt upper in 7.62x39 and am a little concerned about getting a replacement bolt, unless Colt is still making them. None of the aftermarket bolt companies have been able to answer this for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys got me all disappointed about my new 300BO build.

Good thing I'm also doing the 12" Grendel.

Get both
View Quote
Don't be dissapointed, just shoot it with subs and a suppressor and it'll be the tits for quiet hole punching.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't be dissapointed, just shoot it with subs and a suppressor and it'll be the tits for quiet hole punching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys got me all disappointed about my new 300BO build.

Good thing I'm also doing the 12" Grendel.

Get both
That is pretty much what I got it for plus it's what LaRue offered
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The 12" group buy 6.5g.com barrels are shipping soon, some of the bolts are already received, the rest are getting shipped with the barrels to their forever home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 12" group buy 6.5g.com barrels are shipping soon, some of the bolts are already received, the rest are getting shipped with the barrels to their forever home.
View Quote
Got my bolt, excited for my barrel
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is different about the bolts?  Do you have link to dimensioned drawings?  I am running a Colt bolt in a Colt upper in 7.62x39 and am a little concerned about getting a replacement bolt, unless Colt is still making them. None of the aftermarket bolt companies have been able to answer this for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really think it is because it hasn't been fully standardized yet. One company starts using terms like type I and type II bolts, others will call it 6.5 grendel and then use the modern 7.62x39 bolt variants, still others use the older colt 7.62x39 bolt style from the early 90's. This has made going towards 6.5 kind of intimidating to some people and left everything more confusing than it needs to be.
They're slightly different

7.62x39

6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If 44 more people would get in on the 16" i'd be excited too

I do have the bolts though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This....  I got my bolts in the mail the other day but now I am hesitant to send my barrel money as the group buy for the 16" is moving waaaaay to slow and I wonder if it will even happen at this point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This....  I got my bolts in the mail the other day but now I am hesitant to send my barrel money as the group buy for the 16" is moving waaaaay to slow and I wonder if it will even happen at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So get a 12" like me and the rest of the cool kids.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send it and forget it, one day a barrel will show up at your house. It'll be like a gift from the heavens.

Seriously though, it'll happen it just takes time, it's a small community that gets in on group buys for builds. Get the word out where you can and it'll fill up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 but I've already got the 18 and 24
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
SBR lower is already dedicated to something else.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its two pins and a mag change...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
MOAR lowers!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the bolt!  Suddenly this got hard, yo...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many uppers do you have that didn't morph into another gun?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's way to much work.  I like to keep it simple and have dedicated guns.  That way I can has moar guns.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MOAR lowers!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MOAR lowers!
I was hoping HPA would pass so I could form 1 a few.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@TheOTHERmaninblack

Heavy coated 30 subsonic

Check the reloading section for the 300 BLK thread, lots of guys making their own cast subs or loading commercial vendor bullets that are cast.  The link is not the only vendor doing subs, Kingshooters, Missouri Bullet Company, Palmetto Projectiles just to name a few.
View Quote
10Q!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be pedantic. The bolt is part of the complete upper that is changed with the two pins.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#31]
So, a couple of things that aren't directly on subject. Well, mostly not.

1. I realize this isn't an NFA thread, but do you really need a separate registered lower for each upper?  I mean, if I formed out 1 lower, but had a short grendel upper AND a short .300blk upper, am I gonna meet bubba if BATF comes to visit?

2. Call and pester your congresscritters and Senators regarding the HPA. They seem to be walking back on it because 'muh tax revenooz!" Not only that, they're talking about not even voting on it this year. We don't get on them, by the time they pass the fucking thing, there won't be any suppressor manufacturers left.

3. Got a friend pulled into the fold. He ordered his PSA rifle kit, it's on its way, and he registered over at the 6.5 site and is looking at the 20" group buy. (we're just going to pull the PSA 16" barrel/bolt and replace it with the 6.5) On a scale of 1 to Methuselah, what's his wait looking like?

4. There is no 4.

5. Bruce.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, a couple of things that aren't directly on subject. Well, mostly not.

1. I realize this isn't an NFA thread, but do you really need a separate registered lower for each upper?  I mean, if I formed out 1 lower, but had a short grendel upper AND a short .300blk upper, am I gonna meet bubba if BATF comes to visit?

2. Call and pester your congresscritters and Senators regarding the HPA. They seem to be walking back on it because 'muh tax revenooz!" Not only that, they're talking about not even voting on it this year. We don't get on them, by the time they pass the fucking thing, there won't be any suppressor manufacturers left.

3. Got a friend pulled into the fold. He ordered his PSA rifle kit, it's on its way, and he registered over at the 6.5 site and is looking at the 20" group buy. (we're just going to pull the PSA 16" barrel/bolt and replace it with the 6.5) On a scale of 1 to Methuselah, what's his wait looking like?

4. There is no 4.

5. Bruce.
View Quote
Answer to 1. No, but you must be able to return to the original SBR if needed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20" .308
230gr OTM .719/.364 BC 2.840" long @ 2310 FPS

24" 6.5 Grendel AR
140gr Berger Hybrid .607/.311 BC  2.460" long @ 2470 FPS

140gr Hyb @2470 fps
200yds  2.5" drift/ 2203fps/1508fpe/0.5mil
400yds  10.7"drift/1953fps/1186fpe/2.3mil
600yds  25.6"drift/1719fps/918fpe/4.7mil
800yds  48.7"drift/1597fps/697fpe/7.5mil
1k yds   81.9"drift/1290fps/518fpe/10.9mil

230 OTM @2310 fps
200yds  2.4" drift/ 2089fps/2229fpe/0.7mil
400yds  9.9"drift/1881fps/1807fpe/2.8mil
600yds  23.5"drift/1683fps/1447fpe/5.3mil
800yds  44.4"drift/1495fps/1142fpe/8.3mil
1k yds   73.9"drift/1318fps/887fpe/11.8mil
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Answer to 1. No, but you must be able to return to the original SBR if needed.
View Quote
Correct.  Just like a single suppressor can be mounted on any compatible weapon, an SBR-d upper can swap between as many uppers as you have, to include any that have barrels over 16".
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Those 230s are almost mag length.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Correct.  Just like a single suppressor can be mounted on any compatible weapon, an SBR-d lower can swap between as many uppers as you have, to include any that have barrels over 16".
View Quote
Fixed for clarity.

I know that's what you meant.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

20" .308

24" 6.5 Grendel AR

140gr Hyb @2470 fps

230 OTM @2310 fps
View All Quotes
Quoted:

20" .308

24" 6.5 Grendel AR

140gr Hyb @2470 fps

230 OTM @2310 fps
So, in order to get the .308 to start to outpowering and out 'ballistic'ing the grendel, you have to go to 230gr bullets?

I'm pretty sure I don't want to get beat up like that just to ease past an easy-shooting round while using a 25% heavier rifle.  Just sayin'

Quoted:

Fixed for clarity.

I know that's what you meant.
Thanks, guys. That gives me a happy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#38]
If anyone is interested I got an email today saying that Bear Creek Arsenal is having a sale on
6.5mm Grendel barrels

they have 3 different models of 16 inch barrels, a stainless, a Nitride and Parkerized. From $89 to $101

http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels?spec_caliber=105&utm_source=Bear+Creek+Arsenal+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c934edd093-3%2F16%2F17+6.5+Grendel+Barrels&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f428505653-c934edd093-132510329&mc_cid=c934edd093&mc_eid=fe1b64f7dd
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested I got an email today saying that Bear Creek Arsenal is having a sale on
6.5mm Grendel barrels

they have 3 different models of 16 inch barrels, a stainless, a Nitride and Parkerized. From $89 to $101

http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels?spec_caliber=105&utm_source=Bear+Creek+Arsenal+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c934edd093-3%2F16%2F17+6.5+Grendel+Barrels&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f428505653-c934edd093-132510329&mc_cid=c934edd093&mc_eid=fe1b64f7dd
View Quote
Isn't a carbine gas retarded on a 16" 6.5?
Maybe a good candidate for a chop to 11"
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6.5mm Grendel barrels

It would not be my pick, no. But if someone is looking these are available, cheap.

Yes, it would be a good candidate to chop......if you wanted to go through the hassle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
6.5mm Grendel barrels

View Quote
What's the reason for an M4 carbine profile/gas on a non standard caliber? Did they have a bunch of M4 blanks and just decide to make them into Grendel's?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's the reason for an M4 carbine profile/gas on a non standard caliber? Did they have a bunch of M4 blanks and just decide to make them into Grendel's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6.5mm Grendel barrels

It's what their profiling machine is programmed for.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf 6.5 is around 25cpr, give or take delivery.
Wolf .308 is around 50cpr give or take delivery.

ZQI 147 is military ball spec. There is no apples/oranges comparison for 6.5Gr.

Get into hunting/match ammo and the prices are fairly equal.

So. Buy a shit ton of Wolf for blasting/hog killing (say 5K) and 1-2K of match and tell me which caliber comes out cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It would not be my pick, no. But if someone is looking these are available, cheap.

Yes, it would be a good candidate to chop......if you wanted to go through the hassle.
View Quote
That would be a great idea, has anyone here used that barrel before?
I really want a 10.5-11" barrel and this is a good candidate for a chop.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I need to go look at the group buys but is the Faxon 12" still going? Thought that was like $155 which would be cheaper/equal to these plus gunsmith work
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I need to go look at the group buys but is the Faxon 12" still going? Thought that was like $155 which would be cheaper/equal to these plus gunsmith work
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a second round for 12"ers
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
6.5 has been off my radar for a long time, I was in caliber consolidation mode.

Now I have the itch bad.  I want a 11.5-12.5" mini recce and an 18" bolt gun.  Either a cz 527 or a howa mini action.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's sign up brad!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Let's sign up brad!
View Quote
I really want a long range rig.

Part of my problem is I've got a handful of 556 suppressors. I'm actually ditching my 16" 556 Recce, broke it down last night, to consolidate a little.

I'm down to a 10.5" with a Trek with red dot, 11.5" with a SOCOM mini with PST 1-4x, 12.5" retro unsuppressed, 16" M4gery 556 that will get the Specwar that was living on the 16" Recce.

I've also got a Mk12mod1 in process and will buy an AEM5.

A 20" 6.5g DMR would be nice
I just don't need another short upper, not to mention I'm out of stamped lowers

ETA: 8.5" 300blk and 12.5" 762x39 uppers as well, both suppressed
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm getting anxious waiting for BFT to get a shipment notice on those 12" barrels
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top