Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/15/2024 6:47:09 PM EDT

As the U.S. workforce grows older, the problems around ageism in the office are coming to a head. Elder millennials, Gen X, and boomer employees all say they're experiencing serious discrimination issues, and it's hurting their morale.

About 90% of U.S. workers aged 40 or older say they have experienced ageism in the workplace, according to a new report from Resume Now, a jobs platform. The most glaring example is compensation nearly half of these older workers report earning less than their younger colleagues, according to the study. And the same proportion of respondents, about 49%, say they make less money than Gen Z and younger millennial workers for doing the same job.

Older millennials, Gen Xers, and boomers say they're also being given fewer opportunities to progress in their roles, creating barriers in their career growth. About 22% of employees 40 years or older say their work environments skip over older colleagues for challenging assignments, according to the report. Nearly all survey participants said that ageism limits their access to professional development and training services, and around 16% of respondents say their employer engages in a pattern of passing over older workers for promotions in favor of younger counterparts who may have fewer qualifications.

Unsurprisingly, this ageism is impacting the way workers show up to their jobs. Discrimination bulldozes employee well-being: of workers aged 40 or older who have faced ageism, 45% say the bias made them feel isolated and lonely, 44% suffered from depression, and 36% experienced anxiety.

Unfortunately, ageism can be difficult to prove and police, putting up roadblocks for affected staffers to advocate for themselves. About 94% of survey participants who have faced age bias say they have reported the discrimination to their HR teams, but only 45% say that HR mediated the situation. Among workers who have faced ageism, about 37% of those who reported the situation say the ageist coworker was given a warning, 30% said they got a slap on the wrist but weren't fired, 23% say the person was terminated, and 5% said administration took no action.

There's no doubt that the workforce is getting older. And as long as ageism persists, HR leaders must work to help companies dismantle their bias, create more equitable career advancement opportunities, and recognize that America's aging workforce should be respected for their contributions.

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
> Refuses to use that gat dang email
> Mad the zoomer makes 50% more
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the fixed income advisors!

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UTex86:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Do you have any idea when email started being used regularly? This is for those over 40. Not those over 70.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, if I am being honest, at 49 yrs old I am not as sharp as I was in my late 20's.  Used to struggle working with older people who could barely work a computer and now I find myself to be that person.  Oh well.  Life sucks.  What can I say.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

As the U.S. workforce grows older, the problems around ageism in the office are coming to a head. Elder millennials, Gen X, and boomer employees all say they're experiencing serious discrimination issues, and it's hurting their morale.

About 90% of U.S. workers aged 40 or older say they have experienced ageism in the workplace, according to a new report from Resume Now, a jobs platform. The most glaring example is compensation nearly half of these older workers report earning less than their younger colleagues, according to the study. And the same proportion of respondents, about 49%, say they make less money than Gen Z and younger millennial workers for doing the same job.

Older millennials, Gen Xers, and boomers say they're also being given fewer opportunities to progress in their roles, creating barriers in their career growth. About 22% of employees 40 years or older say their work environments skip over older colleagues for challenging assignments, according to the report. Nearly all survey participants said that ageism limits their access to professional development and training services, and around 16% of respondents say their employer engages in a pattern of passing over older workers for promotions in favor of younger counterparts who may have fewer qualifications.

Unsurprisingly, this ageism is impacting the way workers show up to their jobs. Discrimination bulldozes employee well-being: of workers aged 40 or older who have faced ageism, 45% say the bias made them feel isolated and lonely, 44% suffered from depression, and 36% experienced anxiety.

Unfortunately, ageism can be difficult to prove and police, putting up roadblocks for affected staffers to advocate for themselves. About 94% of survey participants who have faced age bias say they have reported the discrimination to their HR teams, but only 45% say that HR mediated the situation. Among workers who have faced ageism, about 37% of those who reported the situation say the ageist coworker was given a warning, 30% said they got a slap on the wrist but weren't fired, 23% say the person was terminated, and 5% said administration took no action.

There's no doubt that the workforce is getting older. And as long as ageism persists, HR leaders must work to help companies dismantle their bias, create more equitable career advancement opportunities, and recognize that America's aging workforce should be respected for their contributions.

View Quote
moar
View Quote

This was discussed in a meeting about 15 years ago. There were only 9 of the 20 or so employees that were supposed to be there. The yoots decided they were not going to show up, as the meeting was being requested by the people that showed up to discuss account distribution. Us older fucks were getting the short end of the stick, while servicing low commision/high maintenance accounts.  
The accounts were split up more fairly. About half of the yoots pissed, moaned, stomped their feet, and quit or got fired. Granted, a couple of the old fucks should have been fired as well, but that was for another day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 47 and was promoted twice in 7 months. The first time was in March of 2024 and I got a $9,000 a year raise and then I was promoted again two weeks ago and got an $18,000 a year raise.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Procyon] [#8]
Two people at my company recently got promoted.

One to the level I’m at. She’d been with the company only 9 months and couldn’t do anything with product line she was charged with leading. But still got promoted.

The other person has more tenure at the company, but he was unable to do anything with the product line that he was leading. He was promoted from my level to the next level higher (highest IC level).

I left the product I’d taken from 0 to 1 (from nothing to launch and rapid growth) which is growing 20% QoQ (it’s really on fire). I then took over a stagnant product and have it growing 25% YoY from 2023.

They’re at least 10-15 years younger than I am.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
I'm 47 and was promoted twice in 7 months. The first time was in March of 2024 and I got a $9,000 a year raise and then I was promoted again two weeks ago and got an $18,000 a year raise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Ageism is real, and it will happen to you at some point.

I saw a department get gutted by 50%, and it was only the older people with gray hair that got let go.  This was a huge multi-national company…. They justified it by saying those were the most expensive (ie experienced) employees.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

And all that is about to stop for you lol.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Man, your bootstraps are probably worn out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Zoomers don't email.

They text.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anymanusa] [#14]
At my company they're paying 20-30 yr veterans 70-90k a year, and then they are turning around and hiring fresh grads at 70-75k a year. Some old folks are rightfully angry, and the output from the new grads is not high in 90% of the cases.

I'm saying I see it and it's happening where I work and it's just enticing bullshit for a young generation that would rather be doing anything other than working.

The company can't keep them here so they keep offering THEM more money and status and the old guys get to keep their same pay and job since they have been such loyal servants to the company.

It's pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Rent is going up and the renter class needs more fiat currency to own less and be happy. 🤔
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
OP has caught on to what's been going on for over a decade.  Older white men are being replaced by DEI hires or youngsters.

We have seen it all.  We don't make the mistakes that the youngsters do, therefore we were paid more.  Nope, not any more.

The companies do it at their own risk, but that doesn't help if you are unemployed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:

Do you have any idea when email started being used regularly? This is for those over 40. Not those over 70.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trout_Hunter:

It was ubiquitous when I started my career.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Save some strap tightening for the rest of us
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Thank the freaking Lord for your good fortune, I have been passed over in favor of every minority known to Man, definitely including inexperienced youngsters.

Management and HR say they don't understand why I'm not getting promoted. Right, sure, Pal. I'm 58, been with the company 22 years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m an elder millennial and I was promoted in 2016 and 2021. Working on a promotion for 2024/25.

We will find out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Marinehog:
Rent is going up and the renter class needs more fiat currency to own less and be happy.  
View Quote
greetings fellow employment enthusiast!
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jwnc:
OP has caught on to what's been going on for over a decade.  Older white men are being replaced by DEI hires or youngsters.

We have seen it all.  We don't make the mistakes that the youngsters do, therefore we were paid more.  Nope, not any more.

The companies do it at their own risk, but that doesn't help if you are unemployed.
View Quote
i put the IED training on mute and make $75/hr to zone out and dream about food and/or our Queen.

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe the lost water cooler social interactions have stopped disguising their atrocious lack of production compared to WFH zoomers who actually produce
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By doolyd:
Well, if I am being honest, at 49 yrs old I am not as sharp as I was in my late 20's.  Used to struggle working with older people who could barely work a computer and now I find myself to be that person.  Oh well.  Life sucks.  What can I say.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
That's weird because we're told that older people work so much harder.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jacon] [#27]
Youngsters are being promoted too quickly and have 7-10yrs less knowledge and experience. It shows.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmManiac] [#28]
It's partially true, mostly because those of us 40+ have had long standing successful careers, hold a lot of certifications, education, and experience companies just do not want to pay for. I've been passed over for multiple roles now because of that very reason, at the recruiters didn't ghost me and were up front about it. For the tech world as at least, they don't want to hire folks that are going to demand bigger salaries unless they are looking to fill very senior roles for specifics or leadership roles. Then they bitch when they can't keep roles filled or hire individuals that end up not really knowing what the hell they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
I’m an elder millennial and I was promoted in 2016 and 2021. Working on a promotion for 2024/25.

We will find out.
View Quote

I'm an elder millennial and I have never been promoted, I'm in the same role I started in on day 1 at this company
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cubsfanbudman] [#30]
Im 59 and am leaving my job of 15 years and taking a new one that pays 51K more F the zoomers
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like an “ office “ problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Airborne11B] [#32]
41 year old white cybersecurity guy here….haven’t had any issues getting promotions or into higher pay bands….and this is with me just getting into the field when I was 35…maybe the people refuse to put in the work to maintain or improve the skills at their jobs?

I’ve taken and gotten 4 major SANS and ISC2 certifications over the last two years (besides the 4 I already had since 2018)…yeah it’s extra work but it makes me more valuable and gives me the leeway to ask for more money or threaten to walk to someone who will.

I started at 75k fresh out of college and out of the Army in mid 2018 and now I make 150(ish).

Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:23:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreyGhost] [#33]
Industrial HVAC Mechanic here and in our Industry the older guys make the most because we are more experienced and typically more knowledgeable.

In the past 2 years I’ve sent 3 apprentices back to the shop because of a combination of always late,lazy or just dumb.I've finally found one that beats me to the jobsite every day and actually wants to work.I’m not giving him up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmManiac] [#34]
Originally Posted By Airborne11B:
41 year old white cybersecurity guy here….haven’t had any issues getting promotions or into higher pay bands….and this is with me just getting into the field when I was 35…maybe the people refuse to put in the work to maintain or improve the skills at their jobs?

I’ve taken and gotten 4 major SANS and ISC2 certifications over the last two years (besides the 4 I already had since 2018)…yeah it’s extra work but it makes me more valuable and gives me the leeway to ask for more money or threaten to walk to someone who will.

View Quote

I'm in the same industry and not a knock on you, but they love paper tigers. I refuse to chase certifications just because, 99% of them prove you know how to take a test well, that's it. I've had to deal with folks that stack certs deep, then end up not being able to perform once in the driver seat and the SIEM's start screaming. Also prior military service will carry you a long long way in our field. Don't know why, but it does.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#35]
“How do I open a .pdf, again?”
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#36]
Workers over 40 say they’re being passed over for promotions and cut out of higher salaries
View Quote

maybe they should unionize.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I warned you millennials about this a decade ago.   Ya’ll spent so much time and energy bitching about the boomers, that now, Suddenly and without warning, you’re Over The Hill too.  

GenX still don’t GAF.  We directed all of our anger, toward achieving success and planning for retirement without SSI. (but if it pays out, It’ll cover another Porsche or vacation house).
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By cubsfanbudman:
Im 57 and am leaving my job of 15 years and taking a new one that pays 51K more F the zoomers
View Quote
that escalated quickly.gif
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Airborne11B] [#40]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

I'm in the same industry and not a knock on you, but they love paper tigers. I refuse to chase certifications just because, 99% of them prove you know how to take a test well, that's it. I've had to deal with folks that stack certs deep, then end up not being able to perform once in the driver seat and the SIEM's start screaming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

I'm in the same industry and not a knock on you, but they love paper tigers. I refuse to chase certifications just because, 99% of them prove you know how to take a test well, that's it. I've had to deal with folks that stack certs deep, then end up not being able to perform once in the driver seat and the SIEM's start screaming.

100%. I’ve met plenty of CISSPs and CISSMs that were borderline fuckin retarded.

I’m in a pretty niche cyber field for the USG (satellite and ground station security) and a lot of our ingest stuff is going to the cloud as well as SDRs (software defined radios). If you don’t take certs, my job will leave your ass behind with a quickness and I’m not even the one in the weeds…I’m the guy evaluating risk and architecture for 18 different LEO/GEO/LaGrange birds and associated ground/secure ingest systems.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I got a decent raise today out of the blue (and because I sometimes do a decent job ).
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
I got a decent raise today out of the blue (and because I sometimes do a decent job ).
View Quote
hell yeah bruthur.gif
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I warned you millennials about this a decade ago.   Ya'll spent so much time and energy bitching about the boomers, that now, Suddenly and without warning, you're Over The Hill too.  

GenX still don't GAF.  We directed all of our anger, toward achieving success and planning for retirement without SSI. (but if it pays out, It'll cover another Porsche or vacation house).
View Quote
why wood zoomas do this?
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#44]
all the skipped over guys should get together and start their own company. They have all the knowledge just becuase they are tired and hate change shoudnt stop them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]

100%. I’ve met plenty of CISSPs and CISSMs that were borderline fuckin retarded.

I’m in a pretty niche cyber field for the USG (satellite and ground station security) and a lot of our ingest stuff is going to the cloud as well as SDRs (software defined radios). If you don’t take certs, my job will leave your ass behind with a quickness and I’m not even the one in the weeds…I’m the guy evaluating risk and architecture for 18 different LEO/GEO/LaGrange birds and associated ground/secure ingest systems.
View Quote

99% of CISSP's I've known are just paper tigers and got it to tick the box to climb into management. Some of the best engineers that I've worked with and lead were folks with next to no education and no certs. Then again I can see through most people, I came from the intelligence side of things then went into Cyber later on. But I can see where you are coming from, working on gov contracts sucks, and those requirements for cert chasing can be tiresome. I had two AF cyber command guys onboard to my team just before I left, they were puzzled why we hired them even though they were missing some key experience and certs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jwnc:
View Quote

Absolutely.

And the endless cycle of downgrading jobs.

Your Director gets promoted or leaves? We post it as a Sr. Manager and 1/2 the pay.

Also, the DEI hiring managers get a green light for rampant Nepotism. Business Unit VP is Indian? 12 months later his whole staff is Indian.

Quality manager is Latina? Somehow all her people become Latina over a few years.

Instead of being frowned on, this gets celebrated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Ageism is real, and it will happen to you at some point.

I saw a department get gutted by 50%, and it was only the older people with gray hair that got let go.  This was a huge multi-national company…. They justified it by saying those were the most expensive (ie experienced) employees.
View Quote

This, we just when thru a purge, even let a 25 yr employee over 60 with cancer go, he was in a support role and not carrying a bag, they all were let go.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't care, I'm within a year or two of retiring and then they can all fuck off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Company I work cannot find anyone under 40 that can pass a drug test , has a valid driver's license , and has a driving record clean enough to get covered by insurance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top