BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m increasingly of the opinion that it’s something a guy with a healthy sense of self worth would not do.

But few men know their own value in our society.
View Quote
A man doing his best to properly raise the youth of America, as an act of love and individual societal contribution, is a man who undervalues himself. Hmm, good to know.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
She'd have to be a solid 10.
View Quote
Wouldn’t that make her a “Solid 13” on the Hot/Crazy scale

Like redheaded nurse/RN with horses 13?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I legally adopted my step daughter when she was 7. She's 22 now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I am one and have been so for 18 years.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been one for 17 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sometimes the rules are a little different it seems but that's just part of it.

Being a parent can be a challenge no matter whose DNA and having a child does not make someone a parent either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am one, but I never raised him with that thought process. He is my son. I am his father.

Edit to add; the natural father was not in the picture.
View Quote
This exactly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m not a stepparent. But I have adopted children (married, had one, adopted two). The kids don’t have to be my bio children for me to love and parent them. So I can’t say for sure and don’t know. But I imagine for the right woman and her kids, I might could be (if I was single).
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a step-father to two great sons 11 & 13 when I married their mom.  They are 40  &42 now.  Best thing I ever did.. They call me and their biological dad on fathers day.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I always said I would not be, but as fate would have it, I am.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked the first option.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a massive amount of respect for the stepfathers I've known.  To the man, they are truly great dads.  Even when they have kids of their own,  they treat their stepchildren as they treat their own.

I spent time as a temporary dad to my ex-girlfriend's kids.  I loved them like a dad.  The hardest part of my breakup with their mother was the harm it did to them.  They didn't do well with it.  I had a tough time with it.  They were great kids.  They have a great mom though, even if we didn't work out.  I made sure they knew that.

I have 4 of my own now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you like kids and their mom will support you in raising them right I don't see the problem. Kids need love, guidance and discipline and far too few have decent parents these days. It's a big responsibility and can be a lot of work and very trying but the reward is worth it. I'll have steered another young adult in the right direction in life and hopefully given them enough of an example and enough ethics, morality and wisdom to grow into a person of good, strong character in an age when our country and culture are falling apart around us.

I guess it really boils down to three things. Will their mother fully support you in your parenting even when she disagrees with you? Are you a man of character who is willing to sacrifice so that a child can grow and develop in character? Do you have the right character to raise children?

It was raising my first daughter as a single parent with no child support that helped me to develop into the man I am today. I'm thankful that the kids value me as much as they do, it motivates me to continue growing and developing.
View Quote
Great post.

I’ll never be in the position. Married at 28. First and only marriage for both my wife and I. I’ll die married to her. But, were this not the case, I’d have no problem being a step parent. As I’d only enter into a marriage that’s a lifelong partnership. I wouldn’t miss out on being with the right woman and deprive a child of fatherly guidance simply because of the kid’s existence.

Too many kids growing up with no parents. Or really shitty parents. The world needs men to be strong fathers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck no.

I do not like kids at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Have no problems bangin' hot single moms though, if I'm single.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a Stepdad that did a pretty good job.

RIP Bill.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Looks just like me, but he has alcohol fetal syndrome.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am one, but I never raised him with that thought process. He is my son. I am his father.

Edit to add; the natural father was not in the picture.
View Quote
This. All of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been married to a great gal for 17 years and I don’t plan on changing that, so no I don’t want to be a step parent.

But barring that, I’d give it a try, depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a step parent, dont do it. It is most definitely not worth it. Whatever girlfriend promises will not happen after you are married. I chose poorly.
View Quote
Apparently you did.

I was dating one woman with three children. That woman had my soul in her hand and she knew it. I loved those kids as if they were my own. After she was done using me, and I realized what was happening. It was a very depresing time for me. I realized I missed the kids more than her.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#20]
No. I don't need or want that headache. Only way I'd consider it is if the father was deceased, the kid was very young like 1-3 and the mom was a legitimate catch.

That said I'm married already and don't have to worry about this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
My father in law is one of my best friends.

He is a step parent.  He is good for my family.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I legally adopted my step daughter when she was 7. She's 22 now.
View Quote
Same but at 9, she’s been mine since she was 4.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:38:39 AM EDT
[#23]
That would be one hell of a surprise
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I helped raise 3 of my wife's kids. 2 appreciate what I did, the other not so much Their father is a deadbeat POS and put their mother through the ringer forcing them to live in shelters and financially ruining her because he wanted to chase strippers and drink all night long.

Karma has caught up with him so I am at ease.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like how guys who prob can’t even get a date on tinder, now need a mother to be a ten.

I’m not a step father but if that was how life worked out I’d be fine with it.

I have a lot of respect for step fathers doing a good job. It’s a big responsibility. I also see enough natural parents that suck that I don’t see many draw backs.
View Quote
that is a wise post

thanks for all of the thoughts GD- & congrats to those of you strong enough to make it work.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a stepparent in my first marriage, and it was a constant issue. I think it's a rare thing where the biological parent doesn't skew towards supporting the kids at the expense of their new spouse. In my case I came from a conservative family where kids were expected to listen, obey their elders, etc. It was a culture clash from the beginning.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
no, i bang lots of single moms but always tell them up front i wont date them. no fucking way in hell im letting someone elses sperm run around my house messing up the place
View Quote
This is how we get liberals.... No father's.

Where do you think we would be if those 3 Russian dudes said "I'm not draining the water, I didn't create this mess"?

We do it because it must be done. And incidentally, I love my step daughter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#28]
My ex-gf is a 10. She is so hot, she models for car magazines. I could take her to the court house tomorrow and marry her if I wanted. But she has 3 kids from 2 different guys, which happened after we dated. I have no interest in raising some other guys kids and being a step-dad, even if he isn't in the picture.
My number one rule for dating is I do not date women with kids. I have no kids of my own and I like being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. I cringe whenever my brother brings his best friends 4 year old over. I don't dislike children. I just don't like being around them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is how we get liberals.... No father's.

Where do you think we would be if those 3 Russian dudes said "I'm not draining the water, I didn't create this mess"?

We do it because it must be done. And incidentally, I love my step daughter.
View Quote
That's a terrible analogy. Those three guys went in there because someone had to do it or a lot of people would have died. If it wasn't them it would have been someone else. You don't have to marry a woman with children from another guy and raise them as your own. That's something a person chooses to do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Talk to a lawyer about the financial risk of legal adoption.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am one.

Wouldn't change it for anything.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#32]
No, I’m not a beta cuck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Leave me and my wife's son alone....

Haven't really thought about it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’m increasingly of the opinion that it’s something a guy with a healthy sense of self worth would not do.

But few men know their own value in our society.
View Quote
BOOM....HEADSHOT!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Not again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#37]
No.

Just no. When I was single I dated one girl who already had a kid.

I saw the disaster that it was and ejected on the double quick.

I question any man who is happy to raise the sprog of another man. It just seems wrong to me. Unnatural to say the least. My wife and I are friends with another couple where the husband is raising his wife's kid from another man. He refers to the boy as "his kid". Makes me uncomfortable on a visceral level.

I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#38]
There is a lot “depends” in the equation. I’m a step dad and have never felt like my step kids wanted me or even remotely love me in any way.

My wife’s kids were in their teens when I came along and were already screwed up from the divorce. It’s a tough road and it has nearly cost us our marriage a number of times in the last five years with their issues.

It’s not for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Son and a daughter.....Although I can understand someone not having what it takes to be a dad
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I am 54, never been married.

At this point in my life if I ever do get married it's more likely I would become a so-called step parent.

I don't think I would care one way or the other. Most of the women my age have adult children now. As long as I wanted to be with the woman that way, children would be pretty much irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes. Found out about 15 years ago, couldnt have kids.

Got married to a great woman and adopted her three kids.

Its been a great, and at times rough journey.

Wouldnt trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#42]
No chance.  And no way would I allow some other asshole to raise my kid either.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I dated a few girls that had kids

I met one. It was pretty sad and fucked up really. I remember getting there. She introduced us. Id guess he was 4 to 6 years old or so. Ive always been bad at that.

But anyways as soon as she introduces us this kid get shy and runs off. Me and the chick start talking a little and a short while later the kid runs back into the room

He proceeds to run up to me. Hug me tightly. Looked up into my eyes, no my soul, and asked if I was his real daddy. The gal then proceeded to say no hes not and kinda got mad at the little guy.

Anyways Im super glad I landed a chick that doesn't have any kids.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was not married I dated one girl with a little boy. After a few months I realized no way. We split. Best decision for me. However, I will say any may who can appropriately raise someone else's kid is good in my book.

On the dating a single mom aspect. A good woman is hard to come by and were not all big and buff like we want to think. If an attractive, honest, sweet girl wants your love and gives it back then why not. Seems like most women now a days have at least one kid anyways. I would think by not dating them you would cut your chances of meeting a great women in half.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Once I told a girl I'd date her if she gave her 3 year old up for adoption.

We were married for 5 years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I dont want kids of my own but if i had a SO with a couple that came with a nice biweekly paycheck od totally be cool with it
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I did it.
If you are weak or narcissistic I would not recommend it.

Being a step-Grandad is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe in the right situation, from experience I'm going with hell no. No matter how good the sex or how hot she is, helping to raise other peoples kids is at times really rough.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#50]
In the process of adoption.

I've been the only Dad she's known
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top