Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/5/2020 9:20:53 AM EDT
It's ironic they say it's anon, but you have to log into the company's VPN to take it, then it ask whos your manager, dept, role, tenure etc.

They never turn out well and of course biased in most cases too, jmho.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
That sounds both totally and completely anonymous.

You're obviously just paranoid.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Another layer of non-anonymity are the ‘add your comments’ sections. You can expose yourself fairly easy with what you type out...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
We even get a individual code to enter. You know for "security" purposes...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another layer of non-anonymity are the ‘add your comments’ sections. You can expose yourself fairly easy with what you type out...
View Quote

Yea, I made that mistake once. After getting results back, my boss dedicated an entire meeting to trying to find out who wrote each comment. At the end of the meeting he says “well it seem that SOME people aren’t very happy here- maybe THOSE people should find another job elsewhere.”

Our last questionnaire garnered so few responses from the department, they could not include them in the survey.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Just be honest.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
We each get a different link.  Took me 2 minutes to complete this year.   All 5s.   I don't want any more culture help.  Please God no.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I work for a large hospital system.
for over 20 years I have watched anonymous departmental and hospital surveys be turned in by employee's...

I have watched dozens of employee's be called into management offices for issues they wrote on their surveys and get their asses burnt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ours required us to scan the barcode on our badge for "location information."

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Elementary school anonymous staff survey:
Male
Female
Narrowed it down to 2 people already.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's ironic they say it's anon, but you have to log into the company's VPN to take it, then it ask whos your manager, dept, role, tenure etc.

View Quote

We have these at my company and they are completely anonymous. The reason they ask for that info is so that the results can be sent to the appropriate leadership personnel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]
We just did one by zoom w a woman who assured me my responses would be anonymous

Uh, lady, you know my name and what I look like , that's not anonymous .....oh I assure you dsteelman that I would NEVER  reveal who said what .....lol right lady .

I gave the bare minimum responses to everything .

Yep it's great
Nope I don't need anything
Yes everyone is awesome

K thx bye
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a boss once, a SVP. He had two departments that  did the same type of accounting work. There was an anonymous survey about supervisors and management. One dept gave him a good review the other trashed him. Six months later there were layoffs. They combined both departments. He layed off the one that trashed him in toto. They were so shocked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Even the ones we get that don't require VPN or ask for names have a unique link and different wording....so they know.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah ours required your network ID.

Lol.

I filled it in accurately anyway.  Can't make things better if you don't know where the problems lie.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I just don't fill them out.
They are traps.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't submitted mine in years.  They don't change anything anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Due to our narcissistic supervisor, our scores dropped dramatically last year, of course we now get a e-mail daily on what the questions really mean and how to answer them.
Scores will be even lower this year.  
We have a department of 7.
Survey (Gallup) begins today.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Saw a guy get fired for being open and honest in one of those "safe space" meetings.  Feelings got wrecked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Hospital I recently used to work at really pushed for these surveys to be completed.  Then later they revealed that any department wide performance bonuses were partially based on whether the surveys had high ratings.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]
When you get the emails saying that they haven't heard from you.  ??
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]
When you get the emails saying that they haven't heard from you.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just don't fill them out.
They are traps.
View Quote
This, When I worked for a large company I ignored them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#23]
According to my last survey, I'm a transgender native american boomer
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#24]
From someone in upper management , they are not anonymous.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I skipped our anon survey last year.

They told me I needed to fill it out

“If it’s anon how do you know I haven’t filled it out?”

HR persons response
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I make sure they know who I am.

Sometimes it’s good to be truthful.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We each get a different link.  Took me 2 minutes to complete this year.   All 5s.   I don't want any more culture help.  Please God no.  
View Quote

This!  I wish everyone on my team would just put 5s.  Then we don’t have to have meetings that are a waste of time to understand the low scores and how to raise them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another layer of non-anonymity are the 'add your comments' sections. You can expose yourself fairly easy with what you type out...
View Quote
i don't think if i told my boss to eat my ass would reveal who i am
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
At least where I am they say the surveys are "confidential". They don't pretend they are anonymous.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

...and even if they were, for the last one my company did, they cascaded the "anonymous" results down to the individual team manager.

I worked on a team of 5 people. It's not as if my manager didn't know EXACTLY who each positive and negative response came from, even without names attached. The meeting to discuss survey results was...awkward.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Lol. And then we get called together as a team to review the results of each anonymous survey in the team.

I always treated them as if the CEO was reading over my shoulder but some people really let the expletives fly. Makes for an interesting meeting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, mine asked for location and department.  I'm the sole person in the dept. role at my location....
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

they never are.

If you value your job, fill it out with "smile and wave, all is well" comments.  Management doesn't want to hear truth, they want THEIR BOSS to hear whatever inflates their bonus the most.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We have these at my company and they are completely anonymous. The reason they ask for that info is so that the results can be sent to the appropriate leadership personnel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope - the first question is confirm your manager's name XXXX XXXX
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I was pretty honest in mine. Idgaf.

Safety on the other hand, I didn’t fill that perception survey out and I got a call asking about filling it out. My response was something to the tune of, “if it’s anonymous, how do you know I haven’t done it?”
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yea, I made that mistake once. After getting results back, my boss dedicated an entire meeting to trying to find out who wrote each comment. At the end of the meeting he says “well it seem that SOME people aren’t very happy here- maybe THOSE people should find another job elsewhere.”

Our last questionnaire garnered so few responses from the department, they could not include them in the survey.
View Quote

Ya those are fun team morale building meetings.

We had a boss no one liked, everyone was honest on the survey.

We were rewarded with a meeting

His bosses thought he needed to talk with our group and figure out how to improve his performance

He did not Approach the meeting they way his boss wanted, trainwreck followed. Next survey was worse

The suspended survey’s for a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#37]
When our company still did them on paper, I would make a xerox of the original just in case they had anything hidden.  The online version is NEVER anonymous and you are a fool if you think so.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wanted feedback & they got it, lol. Getting all shitty about it instead of hearing & analyzing it sounds like it drove down moral and willingness to answer ‘anonymously’ in the future. Don’t ask if you don’t want to hear the responses...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit bosses can't handle criticism.  Forget that noise.  THOSE people should find a job elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#41]
It's like when an interrogator takes you into the video/audio recorded interrogation room and places a tape recorder on the table... and then dramatically reaches over and stops the recording on the tape recorder so you can have an "off the record" chat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I keep a text file on my desktop waiting for the annual employee survey.

My command went from being in the top 25 for decades to the bottom 5% in three years and have staid there safety near the bottom for the last 8-years now. This year will be no different.

At some point too many people lost focus on the mission and rather started to worry about 10,000 DOD regulations that limit our ability to do that mission.
View Quote

oof.jpg

You'd think at some point the next-level command would say "WTF is going in on there."
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hospital I recently used to work at really pushed for these surveys to be completed.  Then later they revealed that any department wide performance bonuses were partially based on whether the surveys had high ratings.
View Quote

Honk honk...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.   And the results may be "anonymized", but in anything but the largest departments it would be pretty easy to read between the lines.

I recently left a job at a major fortune 500 company.   Lots of management training on how there are strict no-tolerance rules for retaliation, etc.   Yet, it was rampant.   If an employee took a complaint to HR, the first thing HR would do is have a side-bar discussion with the manager.   Names might not be named, but it was always easy enough to figure out.  And people in power can always build a case for their actions.   Especially when details about the complaint were shared.

The only way to send a message to bad management is to leave and go somewhere where you are respected or treated fairly.   And they may still not get the message the first, second, or even third time... but at least it isn't your problem anymore if you are gone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another layer of non-anonymity are the 'add your comments' sections. You can expose yourself fairly easy with what you type out...

Do it and report back...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just be honest.
View Quote
I am underpaid.  Honest and to the point.

A lot of people forget why they work.  This is the reason.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.   And the results may be "anonymized", but in anything but the largest departments it would be pretty easy to read between the lines.

I recently left a job at a major fortune 500 company.   Lots of management training on how there are strict no-tolerance rules for retaliation, etc.   Yet, it was rampant.   If an employee took a complaint to HR, the first thing HR would do is have a side-bar discussion with the manager.   Names might not be named, but it was always easy enough to figure out.  And people in power can always build a case for their actions.   Especially when details about the complaint were shared.

The only way to send a message to bad management is to leave and go somewhere where you are respected or treated fairly.   And they may still not get the message the first, second, or even third time... but at least it isn't your problem anymore if you are gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if there's a third-party company sending out surveys, collecting responses, and anonymizing them before turning them over to the client, they WILL turn the de-anonymized data over to the client if the client leans on them hard enough.  Money talks!

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Yea I ignore them.

Fuck em, not like they really give a shit anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Never be the nail sticking up during those "anonymous" surveys as you might just get hammered.

I learned that lesson a few years ago when I gave a blistering review following a "large event" in my area, specifically criticizing the decision to remove people from the field for housekeeping in the office.  The survey agency read my comment verbatim aloud in front of everyone, and leadership up the chain were P-I-S-S-E-D.  They tried everything to get the rep. to tell them who wrote the comment.  Failing that, they asked those in attendance who wrote that comment to fess up so that they can discuss the issue on the spot.  When no one stepped up (I certainly wasn't going to come clean after seeing the faces of my supervisors), one of the supervisors said, "It must have been Employee X because she is not here today."  I have no idea if anything was said to her about "her" comment, but she worked there for another ten years.  And, no one ever came to me because I am always the "quiet one" who usually does his best not to create ripples.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I just tell them what the want to hear.. nothing bad.. The fact that it says anonymous means it's not
Don't trust em.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top